Tumbleweed IPA - Lewis & Clark Brewing Company

Tumbleweed IPATumbleweed IPA

Lewis & Clark Brewing Company visit their website
Montana, United States

(Beer added by: beernut7 on 08-19-2002)

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

4.98/5  rDev +14.7%

First off, what a fantastic brew.

I went to the source itself, their newly renovated taproom, and tried out the Tumbleweed as well as their seasonal Red.

The appearance was between amber and gold (just the right amount of caramel malts to give it some color) with a nice frothy head that left good lacings throughout the glass. Amazingly brite for being, I believe, an unfiltered IPA.

Smell was floral and fruity with prominent citrus notes and a touch of sweet malt.

The taste was fantastic. One of the the more balanced IPAs I've had in a while. A solid malt backbone with loads of citrus and floral hop character. Just a touch of earthiness and a bitter finish, leaving the palate ready for another swill. Mouthfeel was a tad on the heavy side for my personal preference, but right there with what an IPA should be, especially around 6.5ABV.

Overall, Lewis and Clark has done an outstanding job with this IPA and it comes as no surprise that is is one of their best sellers in the can. River season here I come! I'll be bringing a few of these along too!

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.98/5  rDev +14.7%

I have tried IPA's every where I go and still consider this the best IPA out there. It has great appearance/aroma followed with fantastic hop taste. Was truly excited when they started canning this beer so I could take it anywhere. Highly recommend this beer to all hop heads.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

I had this awesome brew last week at the Brewhouse in Helena, MT. I plan to visit the brewery as well.

This IPA pours in a goldish color from the tap.

Medium sized white foamy head.

The aroma is citrus like hoppy, fruity and sweet.

A beautifully bodied India Pale Ale.

The malts give this an amazing balance!!

Carbonation was perfect.

When you drink this brew... you just want more and more of it. I've never had a beer that was so close to addicting from the taste alone. Cheers to Tumbleweed and congrats to the brewer!

-Rick

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

Yep that's right my first all 5 rating on a beer. It just deserves it plain and simple.

It is such a balanced IPA that I could see myself drinking it everyday for the rest of my life (if I lived in Montana I guess). I have had hoppier, maltier and more aggressive IPAs (and I enjoy them) but this darn beer just satisfies can after can (lucky to get a case thanks to @winnipegbeergeek).

There are times that I want those extreme IPAs but for my meat & potatoes give me Tumbleweed IPA 3 meals a day!

I love the rich amber color (too many IPAs look like blondes nowadays), the beautiful floral nose and upfront bitterness that just barely lingers after you take a drink.

I can see why this beer is "Montana's Most Award Winning IPA" (from their website)

Cheers to the people responsible for giving me this feeling 24 times I hope to make a trip there next summer and I will be driving so I can load up, even if that means I pay the duty at customs, it will be worth it!

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

This is without a doubt my favorite beer. Tumbleweed is my go-to IPA and as I've tasted many, I feel qualified to give it a 5-Star review.

A rich copper/caramel color is immediately noticed with a proper head and good retention.

The smell is full of hoppy goodness and tones of citrus; grapefruit. Perhaps even a little bit of sweetness on the nose, suggesting a balance of malts.

The taste is exactly what I look for in an IPA, hop forward with bitterness and a long finish. The mix of hops (Cascade and Centennial) lend themselves to a perfect IPA combination. This, ladies and gentlemen, is as good as it gets.

The mouthfeel is great with proper carbonation and a long finish that stays on the tongue. Each drink makes me want one more.

You have to try it to believe it. Just so damn good!

This is my favorite IPA. Favorite Beer.

I'd heard really great things about Tumbleweed and Lewis & Clark Brewing Company from several friends. Being from California, it is not easy to get ones' hands on it though. Well it was my lucky day recently as a buddy had just returned from Montana with a few beautiful cans of Tumbleweed.

So my honest thoughts?

This is a near flawless and perfect IPA in so many ways. I immediately picked up the complex and synergistic aromas from the Centennial, Cascade, and Columbus hops. It really is a nice pungent and unique IPA in this respect. The flavor is outstanding and a significant, crisp, and refreshing bitterness is immediately present but does not linger like so many IPA's do. Then the malty backbone really shines through and you are left with an extremely satisfied palate and a smile on your face! This is the most impressive IPA I have tasted out of a can. I am a big fan of the use of cans but these guys have it down to an art.

Now, I am a brewer myself and am not always easily impressed but I felt compelled to write about Tumbleweed because it is an amazing IPA. However, I especially wanted to review it because I think that it is a downright shame that good Californians (and others of course) cannot enjoy this beer without going to Montana due to a no-exports law! With all the excitement about IPAs and craft brewing I think if more people knew about this beer it would really be exciting for Montana and the entire craft brewing community.

Please let me finish by saying that I am not "willy nilly" about throwing perfect scores around. It's just that for me, this was a spectacular beer that was deeply satisfying and just what I am looking for in an IPA. Crisp, refreshing, tons of hop flavor and aroma, and a solid body to round it out. Perfect....

Tumbleweed IPA from Lewis & Clark Brewing Company