Steinlager - New Zealand Breweries Limited

poor

New Zealand Breweries Limited visit their website
New Zealand (Aotearoa)

Euro Pale Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-06-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steinlager Alström Bros

1.02/5  rDev -64.1%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color with a medium foamy white head that fades quickly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very skunky, I've got no other way to describe it. There's mostly adjunct and a little bit of malt in it.

T: The taste is bready with a little bit of sweetness, but there's very little malt character and the adjunct flavor takes dominance. The hops presence is almost non-existent.

M: A little crisp and not smooth at all, light-to-medium body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, very dry finish.

D: Not tasty at all and doesn't go down well, at least it isn't filling, I had this beer at a tasting and hated it, but I decided to give it a fair chance by trying a full bottle, since I've had beers that have tasted very different when drinking a full bottle instead of a sample. Unfortunately, this was not one of those times and this beer tasted just as bad as it did the first time I tried it.

1.25/5  rDev -56%

Pours an ultra light Yellow color with a small white head that is gone in a flash.

Smell is typical Euro Lager smell, a little bit of green grassy hop smell.

Taste is dominated by a very slight Euro Hop flavor and water. Boring and blah. Glad I have just one of these that I was given.

Mouthfeel is basically water, doesn't feel at all like beer in my mouth.

Drinkability is pointless on this one, you would be better served to get yourself a glass of water. I have had many Macro light beers with more body and flavor than this one.

1.28/5  rDev -54.9%

The taste was very poor and the smell was worse.

The carbonation attacked my mouth with a vigor I have yet to experience from a beer.

However income back to the smell and I can't get paste that.

I feel that this beer would not outsell Most American lower level beers. In fact I can't even decide what flavors are in this beer.

1.35/5  rDev -52.5%

Decided to finally buy a 12er I seen at a local market on sale, so I figured what the hay...All I have to say is I drank alot of beer over the years and this stands as one of the worst I had ever tried. OK looking but tasted very grassy if that makes sense...maybe I gotta bad batch (damn green bottles!) but wouldnt bother trying a 2nd time...thank heaven it was on sale...

1.38/5  rDev -51.4%

My roommate visited New Zealand last year, and said he drank this beer while there. He decided to get a six pack for me and him to sample from a local liquor store.

Tasted, and smelled skunky, not a very pleasant drink at all. In fact, this was about a year ago, we drank 5 of the six, and the last one is still in the fridge... I can't give it away!

I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

1.53/5  rDev -46.1%

Yow. This bottle doesn't need a label. It needs a white stripe. Mega-skunky.

Clear pale gold. Rough white head that leaves some lace.

Tastes is bitter and utterly unimaginative.

I often share my beer with my wife. She often quite enjoys it. Sometimes I get in trouble for it. Like with this one. Bleh! And after coming all that way, too.

To be avoided.

1.55/5  rDev -45.4%

Pours a piss yellow amber, lots of head and a surprising amount of lacing on the glass. Smells like light malts, little bit of skunkiness, grassy smell. Tastes like grass too, weird skunky fresh cut grass taste, little bit of bitterness in the finish. Theres this really nasty flavour too it, like alcohol but even weirder, the kind of an anise flavour? I remember this being better, medium carbonation and smooth mouthfeel, kind of watery, not very appetizing.

1.58/5  rDev -44.4%

Bottle: Poured a golden colored beer with a standard head with no retention. Aroma is a mix of malts and skunk which doesn’t start too well. Taste is again dominated by that skunk taste (damn! People should know that green bottle are not made for imported beer) with a little bit of hops. Overall, this is another garbage macro lager. Won’t be seeking this again anytime soon.

1.58/5  rDev -44.4%

I poured into a pint glass to a couple inches of white head. It is pale yellow in color. The aroma was an immediate turn off. I get a skunked, grassy smell. It comes in a green bottle so the smell was expected. The taste is metal, sweet malt and finishes a nasty bitter. This is not a beer to be revisited unless it is on tap. I need to quite trying these imported green bottled beer. I don't think I've had a good one yet. On tap is a different story since kegs shouldn't get light damage. Of course then there's temperature . . .

1.58/5  rDev -44.4%

A: The pour is a typical pale straw color with a white head that goes nearly as quickly as it arrives.

S: An incredibly "off" nose. Lots and lots and lots of skunk and a slight vegetable/DMS note. Some mild adjunct/grain sweetness.

T: If you could eat a skunk's spray, this is a pretty close approximation as to what it would taste like. Perhaps some undertones of sweetness, but the skunk is hard to get passed.

M: The body is light and somewhat watery and the carbonation is medium, which is somewhat surprising.

D: Blech, this may have been a bad bottle, but from reading some of the other reviews, it seems like it's just bad overall.

1.58/5  rDev -44.4%

Steinlager pours a pale yellow with a white head from a green twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is very skunky. The flavor is also very skunky. Makes me wonder whether it's supposed to taste like this, or if it would taste better out of a light tight container. Avoid.

1.63/5  rDev -42.6%

Say it isn't so, another dissapointing lager. Pours a straw yellow with a fizzle of a white head, the smell is very skunky, so much so it is hard to find any traces of anything. The tase is again slightly skunk and earthy. Grainy tones are in the forefront with almost weedy dry aftertaste. Feels light and dull in the mouth and would not consider to have this anytime soon, I'd rather not look at it again either.

1.7/5  rDev -40.1%

I simply don't "get" this beer.

It (apparently) wins awards, it is exported all over the world, and it sponsors big sporting events like yacht racing.

But it is swill. Pure, unadulterated swill. Do Steinlager sponsor the awards as well?

The best that can be said for it (in my oh so humble opinion) is that the bottle is moderately attractive. You can even buy really big bottles! But...

This beer is skunky of smell, thin of taste and is simply not very drinkable.

There is / are some citrus note(s) buried in the taste, but unless you are hypersensitive to citrus, you simply won't notice it. Taste is a nasty amalgam of ... well, I am not sure what. Hops? Yeast? Floor cleaner?

When poured (I keep wanting to type "poored"), it has a moderately thin head that dissipates quickly to a scummy layer on the straw yellow surface. You may notice that I scored appearance highest of the various characters for this beer.

IF you chill it right down, its drinkability goes up slightly, but honestly, it is just too much trouble.

It shouldn't ought to be like this...

Life is short. Drink something else.

1.7/5  rDev -40.1%

This is not a good beer, though it's definitely better than Canadian or Blue. It pours a bland very pale straw color with an almost non existent head and a tiny bit of lace. The smell is of vegetal DMS and a slight wiff of hops. The taste is the same with some thin malt flavor in the back and a nasty metallic aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very thin and watery with prickly carbonation. Just another macro lager..

1.75/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Crystal clear sunshine yellow pour, non-existent head – well, a small white ring appeared for one moment.

Horiffic aroma of rotting veggies on which a skunk dropped a wee-wee.

Nasty bitter quaff, I’m glad the green bottle is see thru, or I would have guessed a dead mouse was laying on the bottom.

I don’t pour beer down the drain, but this stuff was putrid. I hope they have other offerings in New Zealand

1.78/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Not a fan. Very skunky. I really can't get past the skunk smell to give an honest assessment. I drank the whole thing out of respect to Beer in general, but it is not worth a trip to New Zealand. Rugby good, beer bad.

Seriously, I am not a fan of euro lagers. It may be great, but it tastes like bad Heineken.

1.8/5  rDev -36.6%

Appearance: This beer pours a light yellow hue with an extremely foamy bright white head. A couple of columns of beading is going on inside.

Smell: Well, looks like I have found me another skunky beer. I should have known ...green bottle. The skunkiness takes presence over all, but you can get a vague hint of some piney hops and a celery stock.

Taste: Ohh my, umm...well.. Lightly hopped, alcohol is present, malts are ...somewhere in nastyville. Yikes..anyone got a Budwieser?

Mouthfeel: Watery and thin bodied medium amount of carbonation. Goes down easy, but not without pinching the nose.

Drinkability: I will never purchase this again and suggest you save your money and buy something else. Wolfff!

Cheers2Beers