Hops Big 'Skeeter Pale Ale - Hops Grillhouse & Brewery

No picture.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Hops Grillhouse & Brewery visit their website
United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  ABV ?

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-04-2002

Reviews by paceyourself:
3.87/5  rDev +0.5%

What a nice surprise from a brew pub i don't expect much from.
A small tight white head that fades quickly but leaves a blanket of lace behind. The crystal clear bronze color shows a light carbonation that fits this brews well. The aroma has a little spice behind the dominance citric and floral notes. 'Skeeter' almost borders on IIPA ground with its strong chinook(?) bittering hops that clung to my sides and held my attention. It has good balance with the malts but they seem a little musty or stale. I'm guessing its in the low 7s for abv because it packs a much larger punch than the rest of the brews here. I'll be going back for more of this brew while its fresh.

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

I was extremely confused by this beer. I went in and ordered their seasonal pale ale, and what I got was quite an experience. I must have been in hop hibernation, because my mouth had not been burned byu the bitterness of a beer like this for a long time. I have had all sorts of PA's, IPA's, and a few IIPA's, but I can't remember a flavor this intense. It is almost like a HopsWine, if I can coin a term. It was still very interesting, as a confessed hophead, I was surprised that Hops could dish up something like this.

3.87/5  rDev +0.5%

Big time spicy hop aroma. Well balanced malt sweetness and bitterring and flavor hops. A decent beer from a chain brewpub where you can still buy a Bud.

I was also quite surprised by this brew! My experiences in Hops restaurants have been consistently average, at best (though the food is pretty good). This beer was quite an exception. Deep golden/yellow, nice white head. Strong floral hop aromas, with just a hint of honey sweetness. Taste is also leaning heavily toward floral hoppiness, balanced by a smooth, malty sweetness. The finish is a very pleasant bitterness that seems to linger for a while. Quite a nice surprise!

Hops Big 'Skeeter Pale Ale from Hops Grillhouse & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.