Regia Extra - Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd

Regia ExtraRegia Extra

Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd visit their website
El Salvador

American Adjunct Lager |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 12-20-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Regia Extra Alström Bros
1.13/5  rDev -63.3%

Oh my lord. I thought I couldn't find a beer worse than Corona, but I did. Maybe this one got cooked, but I doubt it. Nose was just unpleasant, aromas of straw and skunk, taste the same, appearance was pale pale pale hay color, and there were 32 ounces of this stuff. I endured five sips, even tried putting lime and salt in the thing, but it was still completely intolerable for me. Blech. Glad I got this one for free, because otherwise I would have wanted a refund.

1.56/5  rDev -49.4%

1.65/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This review is part of Macro Smackdown XX, in which Belize's own, Belikin Beer, will attempt to show Regia Extra who's the king of the Central American jungle. An added bit of interest is that these breweries are only 270 miles apart, giving the contest a 'backyard brawl' sort of vibe. Incidently, my bottle isn't the 32 oz. monster shown above, but is the standard 12 oz.

Fuzzy amber that pales a bit when backlit with sunshine. The head on this beer is a fraction brighter white, lasts longer, looks better on the way down and leaves more lace. I prefer the color and the clarity of its competitor, however.

Regia's nose could use an overhaul. A mild perfume-like quality is overcome by a medicinal smell that reminds me of Bactine (the disinfectant). I guess it would come in handy if I ever cut myself in the El Salvadorian jungle, but it isn't something that I look forward to drinking.

The flavor profile isn't quite as medicinal. That's the good news. The only good news. Extra reminds me of dozens upon dozens of Eastern European lagers. It's neither sweet nor bitter and has a stale grain mixed with plastic flavor that might be due to excessive age. It doesn't taste oxidized, exactly, so it's hard to say. I think it's just lousy beer.

While I'm not impressed with the mouthfeel, it's better (in the grand scheme of things) than the aroma or the flavor. Specifically, it's light with less carbonation than is optimal. Since I didn't really expect much in this department...

It looks like Regia Extra got thumped by Belize's finest. I have a sneaking suspicion that age might have been a factor since my bottle of Belikin Beer was hand-carried back from Belize by a honeymooning friend. Sorry El Salvador. Better luck next time.

2.1/5  rDev -31.8%

"there's nothing like an unfurnished basement for pure comfort" ... Pretty crispy for a lager, some low sparse lacing .. smells like old corn husks and maybe some sock ... a strange cheaper carta blanca clone ... marble rocks .. run of the mill... be careful with this, it put me over the edge...

2.35/5  rDev -23.7%

I was not impressed with this beer.

It never impresses me when random countries come out with another beer that tastes like your typical American Macro. Frankly, I'm surprised this beer has high a rating as it does.

The smell is kind of yeasty with hints of corn and rice. So is the flavor, which is largely bland. It goes down smooth, but not interesting.

Just another foreign macro. Nothing to see here.

2.4/5  rDev -22.1%

This to me is basically a South American BMC.

In the glass, it's rather light, with a storng head that holds for a while...

The smell is just slightly spicy and airy, with a note of wet towel.

Flavour is rather watery, with the barest hints of banana and coriander.

Mouthfeel is slightly watery and a bit fizzy.

You could drink this for a long time on a hot day. Good lawnmover beer, but not much more.

Be well
-UF

2.45/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: huge quart bottle, pours straw yellow. Head was about a finger
S: cooked corn and rice, not much else
T: mostly one dimensional cooked corn/greens. Very light almost nonexistent bitterness.
M: similar to lightly carbonated water.
O: its better than some Mexican cousins, but still isn't the best.

2.58/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Big 32 oz. bottle!

This beer has to be cold. Which it is. The color of the beer is pale straw, real pale. Visible carbonation bubbles whirlpool up towards a creamy cloud of foam which reminds me of a wit or wheat beer.

Not much of a smell. Corn, cane sugar, formaldehyde, come to mind.

The taste is all right. Sweet corn beer that leaves a coat on your tongue and mouth. Refreshing because it's cold and wet but that's it. A sweet sticky beer that sits in your stomach like a lump.

In the beer's defense, it seems like a well made beer with quality ingredients but the balance is way off in my opinion.

I need a dogfish bad...

2.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Regia Extra pours a crystal-clear, light straw-gold body beneath a creamy head of bright white that holds surprisingly well and leaves some nice thin rings of lace at the outset of the glass.

The nose expresses lots of yeasty sulphur and some corn-like dimetyl sulphide but not much else. There's some mild adjunct-laden maltiness, and a waft of dull hops in the background, but that's it... quite generic.

The flavor is basic as well, delivering a thin, lightly sweet maltiness that's balanced by a solid bitterness. At least the DMS gives it some character, as there's no real graininess to it; and not unlike the aroma, the spicy and herbal hops are relegated to a background role.

The body is medium-light, and it's fizzy in the mouth.

An average beer at best, I think that Regia Extra's refreshing quality is its best aspect. And not unlike a light beer, you could drink a lot of it, but why would you want to? Add to that the excessive lagery sulphur and mild DMS, and you'll probably want to pass it by unless you're actually in El Salvador on a very hot day. Cheers!

2.73/5  rDev -11.4%

this is from a massive bottle i bought in houston. very clear, almost like a de-yeastified wit...but somewhat yellow too i guess.. foamy white river scum head. smells like corn, alcohol. taste is fairly good, actually. smooth, slightly sweet, corny, thin. nothing special, for sure, but drinkable. lets see if i can get through all 32 fl. oz.

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Regia Extra pours a pale yellow with a thick white head from a brown thirty two ounce bottle. The aroma is adjunct, corn to be specific. This beer has a very light body, the flavor is mild and primarily sweet malt and adjunct. Not unpleasant, but not worth going out of your way for.

2.78/5  rDev -9.7%

Whoa (Joey Lawrence-esque) Definitely not what I was expecting. This beer is extremely light, almost waterish clear. I have never seen a beer this light in color...or lacking color. Extremely clear that readily forms a white head when poured. The head dissipates to a clean 1/8" sudsy head. There is a pretty substantial amount of carbonation rising to the surface.

This beer smells musty with very little to offer. I do get a slight hint of some pale malts in the nose, but little else. I will say that it smells "clean".

An off flavor, or should I say an unexpected flavor...almost tropical and citrusy. No I didn't have a slice of lime on the glass. Watery -> not very malty or hoppy for that matter. What am I missing? This beer is very simple and straight forward.

Light bodied and crisp. I thought it was pretty smooth with a noticeable amount of carbonation. I could see where this beer would be refreshing on a hot summer day.

Seems almost BMC, there is no complexity to the beer at all. Very boring but could serve as a great summer sessional as opposed to Corona.

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

I love the bottle. The shape. The size. The beer could be any number of Central American/ Caribbean lagers if you close your eyes, but I just love keeping my eyes open and on this bottle. The taste is macro-premium, the suggested scenarios are front porches, river fishing, Subaru Brats, with harmonicas in trees, rail yard jungle. Once, this beer had a really pleasant (probably the only time it was fresh) flavor - round, soft, a touch of freshly harvested grains with a floral nose, but ever since that golden window of opportunity, it has just tasted like Red Stripe that sat on the shelf too long. But that 32 oz. bottle man. The size. The shape.

Regia Extra from Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd