Cerveza Caguama - Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd

awful

Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd visit their website
El Salvador

Light Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2002)
Reviews by HeelsandEers:
HeelsandEers

West Virginia

02-16-2014 17:58:09 | More by HeelsandEers
RoyalT

Appearance – This was the lightest-colored beer that I have ever seen. It was almost the color of water, except that it had a slight shade of yellow. It was actually lighter than urine.

Smell – This was the stinkiest beer I have ever opened as well. It filled the room with dead skunk. The aroma was absolutely disgusting.

Taste – Oh, God. This was just horrible. Besides the strong skunk flavor, there was a putrid sweetness of sticky candy growing mold underneath a bench seat at a local high school track field.

Mouthfeel – A slight carbonation was all that was offered to distract the drinker from the horrendous flavor.

Drinkability – I couldn’t possibly get through the entire bottle. I swore I would never “one” a bottle, but this is it.

09-18-2003 01:20:59 | More by RoyalT
freshflesh

02-09-2014 06:18:08 | More by freshflesh
Mora2000

1.68/5  rDev -22.9%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this huge (946 ml) clear-bottled beer.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is a wonderful mix of skunk spray and corn. The flavor is somehow just as bad if not worse. I get a lot of adjuncts and a lot of skunk. This is one of the skunkiest beers I have tried. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

07-10-2010 05:36:51 | More by Mora2000
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

Appears pale golden piss like with a thin highly carbonated head, I suggest a lime or some fruit to do justice to this god awful beer. Aromatics are harsh malts with a tad of sweetness and not really much of anything worth ever trying again. Flavor is just sub Corona in my level one of the worst beers I have ever come across, in my opinion this style of beer has to be the most unpalatable just a harsh unpleasant flavor that needs to be covered up. Clear bottle and thin body plus high carbonation equal nasty beer farts and all the belching you can deliver. Drinkability again well not if this was the last beer on earth, I truly hated this one.

09-01-2003 06:37:08 | More by WVbeergeek
valkyre65

1.75/5  rDev -19.7%

03-31-2013 22:39:33 | More by valkyre65
scottblaze

2.5/5  rDev +14.7%

Not much here to say except CHEAP. Local Kroger had it on sale for $12.99/30 pack. In the can, there is no clear bottle skunkiness, smell or taste. Decant with a slice of lime and this is decent cheap sub for Corona on hot day. Or hell, just grab a can, slam it down and go get another one.

Caguama Update: My GF bought some Caguama in the bottle yesterday (8/3/06), I had just opened a New Belgium Blue Paddle and was sipping it. Sitting down wind from her about 3 feet I thought I detected a whiff of skunkiness in the air as she popped the cap on a Caguama, I picked it up and sniffed it....yep....skunk. I didn't say anything to her as she was happily drinking the hell out it, if she is happy I am tickled to death. At least she is experimenting with something besides BMC.

07-30-2006 19:22:19 | More by scottblaze
tdm168

2.58/5  rDev +18.3%

A - pale, see through yellow with a ton of carbonation bubbles but with a short, soapy head that disappears as fast as it forms

S - grainy, musty, grassy

T - grassy, cereal grains, mild bitter finish; the flavor is incredibly light

M - light bodied, crisp, well carbonated

This is your typical Mexican style lager. The flavor is so light that it borders on nonexistent. It's refreshing, but besides that this is completely forgettable. I'll pass in the future.

07-28-2013 23:00:09 | More by tdm168
jwg782

12-06-2013 18:28:07 | More by jwg782
jheezee

12-08-2011 05:14:50 | More by jheezee
bditty187

Nebraska

2.35/5  rDev +7.8%

Big, clear 32oz. bottle with a small mouth (very annoying pouring it into a glass). I’d expect this beer to 1) have more reviews and 2) be really popular with the macro-swillers. The macro crowd has to be the target audience for Cerveza Caguama, why? First of all, the nose is muted sweet adjuncts, maybe some kind of malt, and really faint metal. The taste is very bland. Not much hops, plenty of grain, and plenty of sweetness (sugar, corn?). But, in reality, it is not offensive but that doesn’t mean I’d want to drink it. It could make a good session beer for “poor/cheap” people (I snagged the 32oz for under $2.00). The beer poured very pale yellow, white head, good retention, very carbonated.

A thirst quenching beer, awfully light, it is not for me… is it for you?

10-20-2002 15:56:19 | More by bditty187
thejunker

Tennessee

2.23/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Very pale, watery looking. Head was thin, nothing remarkable, dissipated quickly.

Smell: Kind of like a skunk rolling in hay. Not very pleasant, but not so horrible that I couldn't drink it

Taste: Semi-Cold - Just OK. First one was just out of the car after getting it from the store, so not very cold. Taste was a bit off, very malty. Ice Cold - Threw a couple in the icebox for 20 min, had one, and it was a much better taste. The malty taste gave way to some more subtle flavors, a little hoppy, a little roasted corn, still very malty.

Mouthfeel: Non-existent. Hardly tell you are drinking anything at all, my impression of what the mouthfeel of rubbing alcohol would be like.

Drinkability: Overall, not good, not terrible. I could see slamming down a few after mowing on a hot day, but for just sitting around sipping a brew in the sun and enjoying it, this is not the one.

07-22-2009 21:05:05 | More by thejunker
ImperatorScab

Tennessee

10-05-2013 18:04:54 | More by ImperatorScab
tone77

2.95/5  rDev +35.3%

A thank you to woodychandler for another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit of corn and grains. Taste is heavy on the corn side, nothing great but considering the style any flavor is a good thing. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer.

07-20-2012 21:53:01 | More by tone77
LJWalker

Alabama

02-06-2012 19:51:25 | More by LJWalker
wingman14

2.3/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a light yellow with a frothy white head. Smell is faint grains but not much else. Tastes like carbonated water with a hint of beer, not much to taste. Mouthfeel is very light, kind of smooth. Overall not much to speak of, a hot summer day sippin beer, good with high flavor meals because it acts more as a palette cleanser. Not great, but cheap.

05-23-2012 22:02:15 | More by wingman14
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

2.48/5  rDev +13.8%

Cerveza Caguama has a thick, fluffy, white head and a clear, bubbly, yellow-golden appearance. There is even some splotchy lacing associated with it. The aroma is of sweet, light malt and grain, and the flavor is almost neutral. One will get very light grain, almost no hops, and water. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Cerveza Caguama finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, dry, and bland. This is a low average, nothing beer.

RJT

07-14-2012 16:57:57 | More by RonaldTheriot
BWH999

1.5/5  rDev -31.2%

12-01-2013 16:14:25 | More by BWH999
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

12 oz can found in the back of the fridge

Appearance - Clear gold/yellow colour with an above average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an above average amount of carbonation showing and there is a pretty decent amount of lacing. The head lasted for around five minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/bread, corn, skunk

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a low amount of carbonation and feels very thin. There is a lot of corn flavour mixed with some grains and some skunk. It finishes with a adjunct corn aftertaste.

Overall - Well, at least it looked fairly decent in the glass. I wouldn't drink this beer again.. even as a lawnmower beer.

04-08-2011 22:29:50 | More by spinrsx
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

2.13/5  rDev -2.3%

I found this brew to be well below average.
Appearance was a light golden hue with a very slight lace. Carbonation is medium, the bubbles huge. The body is a medium/light at best, leaning towards the light.
Aroma was that of the skunk.
The taste was fairly well balanced with an edge to the malt.
Not an exciting addition to my stable of samples...I think I may have dozed off a few times while tasting but the smell woke me back up.

01-04-2004 22:50:43 | More by Shiloh
beerprovedwright

Georgia

1.38/5  rDev -36.7%

Not impressed with the pour, color or head. The color is a pale yellow rating a 4 on the SRM Chart. The head was little finger high for about 10 seconds, and I tried hard to get a good head. The first impression is a hint of lime over nothing else. There is little to no taste of anything I can decern, very bland. Water has about the same feeling as this brew. I will avoid this beer unless it would hurt someones feelings if they offered me one. Don't spend your hard earned cash on this one unless you like very light lager.

10-08-2010 20:43:27 | More by beerprovedwright
Reidrover

Oregon

1.65/5  rDev -24.3%

Ok wife bought some beer for an upcoming BBQ, unfortunatly i spied a case of this stuff..tried one tonight.
12 oz clear glass bottle with painted label with a turtle on it.
The appearance is pretty bad..urine looking..with a rather bubble head..real unattractive.
This beer smelled awful..as soon as i opened the cap..it just stank bad..not appetizing.
taste is weak but i was releaved it was not as abad as the stench this gives off...just the tatse of cheap corn syrup really.
Not too great in the mouth weak and watery at best disturbingly cloying at worst.
not drinkable at all for me down their with its mentor Corona..now how can i persuade the wife to not give this crap out at the BBQ..mmm

07-10-2003 19:09:43 | More by Reidrover
67cuda

Colorado

1.6/5  rDev -26.6%

I have to say this beer is really probably one of the worst I've ever had... It has no head, an awful smell, and it looks disturbingly similar to horse urine. The clear bottle makes sure that the oddly sweet corn taste has a healthy dose of skunk to go along with it. I would say if you have to have a beer from El Salvador, go with the Pilsener beer from this brewery... it's MUCH MUCH MUCH better!

01-04-2005 01:55:31 | More by 67cuda
ronniebruner

Arizona

1.9/5  rDev -12.8%

Just by looking at the orangish yellow tint to this beer, you know you are about to drink something nasty. This beer is the epitome of skunky in both smell and taste. It tastes like a day old stale Corona, but even worse. This is an absolute embarrassment to the brewers of this beer. No wonder a 32 oz bottle is only $1.99. I guess this would be well received amongst Mexican hobos.

12-30-2010 08:17:13 | More by ronniebruner
woodychandler

2.53/5  rDev +16.1%

This came to me courtesy of KevSal and the early goings of New CANned Beer Sunday are centering around lagers, blonde ales, golden lagers, and the ilk. If I CAN hang in, IPAs, DIPAs and bigger beers will get their due later in the day. In the meantime, low and slow is the way to go!

Hey, don't tell me that The CANQuest (TM) isn't making me smarter! That isn't just any old garden variety turtle on the CAN/label, that is a Loggerhead (Lagerhead) and given its average lifespan, they may outlive me at the rate that I am going. Not to be morbid, but given my imbibing, I am probably foreshortening my lifespan. That is OK, since I would prefer a well-lived life than a long-lived life. Life fast, die young, leave a pretty corpse. At 47 y/o, I am no longer young and nobody ever referred to me as "pretty". Oh well. Here's to my new-found terrapin buddy!

From the CAN(!): "Legend has it the fishermen of Central America sought the Great Loggerhead Turtle in warm tropical waters. It was tribal belief that this powerful turtle, also known as the 'Caguama', symbolized good fortune for the fisherman's village. It's our hope that you too will experience the good fortune of the 'Caguama'. Salud!" Does that appear on the label of your bottle? Hmmm.

I was anxious to greet El Caguama and went to a quick Crack followed by an inverted Glug, resulting in a finger of fizzy, bone-white foam that quickly dissipated. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with a good bit of carbonation in evidence. A Greg Koch Special and if that marks me as a "sissy", so be it. Until Stone begins to CAN their beers, I will CANtinue to comment on Mr. Koch's comments on my drinking habits. Nose actually had a soft Saaz hops grassiness and my hopes were raised as a result. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was rather bland, taken as a whole. There was a slight tang, like lemon citrusiness, to accompany the grassy hoppiness. Finish was likewise kind of bland and watery. Perhaps this is just the way that the loggerhead turtle likes it. I CAN only tell you that I was pretty much underwhelmed.

08-05-2012 17:16:20 | More by woodychandler