Cerveza Caguama - Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 101 | Reviews: 42
Reviews by getkrunkhoe:

Appearance – This was the lightest-colored beer that I have ever seen. It was almost the color of water, except that it had a slight shade of yellow. It was actually lighter than urine.

Smell – This was the stinkiest beer I have ever opened as well. It filled the room with dead skunk. The aroma was absolutely disgusting.

Taste – Oh, God. This was just horrible. Besides the strong skunk flavor, there was a putrid sweetness of sticky candy growing mold underneath a bench seat at a local high school track field.

Mouthfeel – A slight carbonation was all that was offered to distract the drinker from the horrendous flavor.

Drinkability – I couldn’t possibly get through the entire bottle. I swore I would never “one” a bottle, but this is it.

1.68/5  rDev -25.7%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this huge (946 ml) clear-bottled beer.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is a wonderful mix of skunk spray and corn. The flavor is somehow just as bad if not worse. I get a lot of adjuncts and a lot of skunk. This is one of the skunkiest beers I have tried. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Appears pale golden piss like with a thin highly carbonated head, I suggest a lime or some fruit to do justice to this god awful beer. Aromatics are harsh malts with a tad of sweetness and not really much of anything worth ever trying again. Flavor is just sub Corona in my level one of the worst beers I have ever come across, in my opinion this style of beer has to be the most unpalatable just a harsh unpleasant flavor that needs to be covered up. Clear bottle and thin body plus high carbonation equal nasty beer farts and all the belching you can deliver. Drinkability again well not if this was the last beer on earth, I truly hated this one.

2.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Not much here to say except CHEAP. Local Kroger had it on sale for $12.99/30 pack. In the can, there is no clear bottle skunkiness, smell or taste. Decant with a slice of lime and this is decent cheap sub for Corona on hot day. Or hell, just grab a can, slam it down and go get another one.

Caguama Update: My GF bought some Caguama in the bottle yesterday (8/3/06), I had just opened a New Belgium Blue Paddle and was sipping it. Sitting down wind from her about 3 feet I thought I detected a whiff of skunkiness in the air as she popped the cap on a Caguama, I picked it up and sniffed it....yep....skunk. I didn't say anything to her as she was happily drinking the hell out it, if she is happy I am tickled to death. At least she is experimenting with something besides BMC.

2.58/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

A - pale, see through yellow with a ton of carbonation bubbles but with a short, soapy head that disappears as fast as it forms

S - grainy, musty, grassy

T - grassy, cereal grains, mild bitter finish; the flavor is incredibly light

M - light bodied, crisp, well carbonated

This is your typical Mexican style lager. The flavor is so light that it borders on nonexistent. It's refreshing, but besides that this is completely forgettable. I'll pass in the future.

2.19/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into pint glass.
Aroma- Has a beer smell that is driven by grass or grain.
Appearance- Looks like Coors Light to me, that is not a compliment.
Taste- Bland with a skunky finish, not good.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation, didn't really notice, trying to get the taste out of my mouth.
Overall- Somewhere between totally forgettable to regrettable, I just can't decide.

2.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Big, clear 32oz. bottle with a small mouth (very annoying pouring it into a glass). I’d expect this beer to 1) have more reviews and 2) be really popular with the macro-swillers. The macro crowd has to be the target audience for Cerveza Caguama, why? First of all, the nose is muted sweet adjuncts, maybe some kind of malt, and really faint metal. The taste is very bland. Not much hops, plenty of grain, and plenty of sweetness (sugar, corn?). But, in reality, it is not offensive but that doesn’t mean I’d want to drink it. It could make a good session beer for “poor/cheap” people (I snagged the 32oz for under $2.00). The beer poured very pale yellow, white head, good retention, very carbonated.

A thirst quenching beer, awfully light, it is not for me… is it for you?

2.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance: Very pale, watery looking. Head was thin, nothing remarkable, dissipated quickly.

Smell: Kind of like a skunk rolling in hay. Not very pleasant, but not so horrible that I couldn't drink it

Taste: Semi-Cold - Just OK. First one was just out of the car after getting it from the store, so not very cold. Taste was a bit off, very malty. Ice Cold - Threw a couple in the icebox for 20 min, had one, and it was a much better taste. The malty taste gave way to some more subtle flavors, a little hoppy, a little roasted corn, still very malty.

Mouthfeel: Non-existent. Hardly tell you are drinking anything at all, my impression of what the mouthfeel of rubbing alcohol would be like.

Drinkability: Overall, not good, not terrible. I could see slamming down a few after mowing on a hot day, but for just sitting around sipping a brew in the sun and enjoying it, this is not the one.

2.94/5  rDev +30.1%

A thank you to woodychandler for another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit of corn and grains. Taste is heavy on the corn side, nothing great but considering the style any flavor is a good thing. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer.

2.26/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light yellow with a frothy white head. Smell is faint grains but not much else. Tastes like carbonated water with a hint of beer, not much to taste. Mouthfeel is very light, kind of smooth. Overall not much to speak of, a hot summer day sippin beer, good with high flavor meals because it acts more as a palette cleanser. Not great, but cheap.

2.53/5  rDev +11.9%

Cerveza Caguama has a thick, fluffy, white head and a clear, bubbly, yellow-golden appearance. There is even some splotchy lacing associated with it. The aroma is of sweet, light malt and grain, and the flavor is almost neutral. One will get very light grain, almost no hops, and water. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Cerveza Caguama finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, dry, and bland. This is a low average, nothing beer.

RJT

2.01/5  rDev -11.1%

12 oz can found in the back of the fridge

Appearance - Clear gold/yellow colour with an above average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an above average amount of carbonation showing and there is a pretty decent amount of lacing. The head lasted for around five minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/bread, corn, skunk

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a low amount of carbonation and feels very thin. There is a lot of corn flavour mixed with some grains and some skunk. It finishes with a adjunct corn aftertaste.

Overall - Well, at least it looked fairly decent in the glass. I wouldn't drink this beer again.. even as a lawnmower beer.

2.08/5  rDev -8%

I found this brew to be well below average.
Appearance was a light golden hue with a very slight lace. Carbonation is medium, the bubbles huge. The body is a medium/light at best, leaning towards the light.
Aroma was that of the skunk.
The taste was fairly well balanced with an edge to the malt.
Not an exciting addition to my stable of samples...I think I may have dozed off a few times while tasting but the smell woke me back up.

1.44/5  rDev -36.3%

Not impressed with the pour, color or head. The color is a pale yellow rating a 4 on the SRM Chart. The head was little finger high for about 10 seconds, and I tried hard to get a good head. The first impression is a hint of lime over nothing else. There is little to no taste of anything I can decern, very bland. Water has about the same feeling as this brew. I will avoid this beer unless it would hurt someones feelings if they offered me one. Don't spend your hard earned cash on this one unless you like very light lager.

1.6/5  rDev -29.2%

Ok wife bought some beer for an upcoming BBQ, unfortunatly i spied a case of this stuff..tried one tonight.
12 oz clear glass bottle with painted label with a turtle on it.
The appearance is pretty bad..urine looking..with a rather bubble head..real unattractive.
This beer smelled awful..as soon as i opened the cap..it just stank bad..not appetizing.
taste is weak but i was releaved it was not as abad as the stench this gives off...just the tatse of cheap corn syrup really.
Not too great in the mouth weak and watery at best disturbingly cloying at worst.
not drinkable at all for me down their with its mentor Corona..now how can i persuade the wife to not give this crap out at the BBQ..mmm

1.55/5  rDev -31.4%

I have to say this beer is really probably one of the worst I've ever had... It has no head, an awful smell, and it looks disturbingly similar to horse urine. The clear bottle makes sure that the oddly sweet corn taste has a healthy dose of skunk to go along with it. I would say if you have to have a beer from El Salvador, go with the Pilsener beer from this brewery... it's MUCH MUCH MUCH better!

1.89/5  rDev -16.4%

Just by looking at the orangish yellow tint to this beer, you know you are about to drink something nasty. This beer is the epitome of skunky in both smell and taste. It tastes like a day old stale Corona, but even worse. This is an absolute embarrassment to the brewers of this beer. No wonder a 32 oz bottle is only $1.99. I guess this would be well received amongst Mexican hobos.

2.53/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This came to me courtesy of KevSal and the early goings of New CANned Beer Sunday are centering around lagers, blonde ales, golden lagers, and the ilk. If I CAN hang in, IPAs, DIPAs and bigger beers will get their due later in the day. In the meantime, low and slow is the way to go!

Hey, don't tell me that The CANQuest (TM) isn't making me smarter! That isn't just any old garden variety turtle on the CAN/label, that is a Loggerhead (Lagerhead) and given its average lifespan, they may outlive me at the rate that I am going. Not to be morbid, but given my imbibing, I am probably foreshortening my lifespan. That is OK, since I would prefer a well-lived life than a long-lived life. Life fast, die young, leave a pretty corpse. At 47 y/o, I am no longer young and nobody ever referred to me as "pretty". Oh well. Here's to my new-found terrapin buddy!

From the CAN(!): "Legend has it the fishermen of Central America sought the Great Loggerhead Turtle in warm tropical waters. It was tribal belief that this powerful turtle, also known as the 'Caguama', symbolized good fortune for the fisherman's village. It's our hope that you too will experience the good fortune of the 'Caguama'. Salud!" Does that appear on the label of your bottle? Hmmm.

I was anxious to greet El Caguama and went to a quick Crack followed by an inverted Glug, resulting in a finger of fizzy, bone-white foam that quickly dissipated. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with a good bit of carbonation in evidence. A Greg Koch Special and if that marks me as a "sissy", so be it. Until Stone begins to CAN their beers, I will CANtinue to comment on Mr. Koch's comments on my drinking habits. Nose actually had a soft Saaz hops grassiness and my hopes were raised as a result. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was rather bland, taken as a whole. There was a slight tang, like lemon citrusiness, to accompany the grassy hoppiness. Finish was likewise kind of bland and watery. Perhaps this is just the way that the loggerhead turtle likes it. I CAN only tell you that I was pretty much underwhelmed.

1.57/5  rDev -30.5%

Very pale lager with a thin, sudsy head. Odor is a little faint but comes across as leafy, grassy and salty. Fruity, savory flavor with an odd, almost salty aftertaste. I'm not a picky beer drinker by any means and I can barely stand this stuff. If you're in a situation where you have to drink this, make sure it's bordering on frozen. The flavors get more weird and less tolerable the warmer it gets.

1.18/5  rDev -47.8%

32-ounce clear fatty-style bottle poured into a pokal glass yields a clear pale straw body with a huge snappy white head fed by streamers of active carbonation. The foam settles slowly and leaves a good amount of lacing spattered on the glass. The beer actually looks really good for the style, but unfortunately that's the last right move the brewers made with Cerveza Caguama.

Though a Great Loggerhead Turtle adorns the bottle, the aroma from within is pure skunk. (Well, a skunk kept in a cardboard box and fed stale corn flakes drizzled in bargain-brand dishwashing liquid would probably be a more accurate description, but I'm digressing...)

The taste of the drink is quite sweet, with a clean corniness that I don't hate, but a thin watery body that I do. No bitterness. No crispness. Just sweet with a bit of wet paper bag and sourness.

This beer, at approximately 26 remaining ounces of the 32 original, now holds the dubious distinction of being my most voluminous drainpour to date. Pisswater! Swill!

2.15/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured out of a clear bomber fattie into a Duvel tulip. Looks like any other thinned out lager that you might find in the grocery store--pale and fizzy. Smells pretty skunked, musty, something a little off maybe from damage since there is so much light exposure on this stupid bottle design. Taste is blah, mouthfeel is poor and thin. Drinkability is fine.

1.96/5  rDev -13.3%

Picked this up in bottle form from the local Kroger since they have begun carrying it and allowing sample packs.

Looks very pale

The smell instantly turned my nose up and made my house stink.

The taste was just average and nothing to right home about, it just tasted like alcohol no real flavor.

This is just an ok beer over all, glad I only bought the single bottle. I could drink it but won't be buying it again.

2.18/5  rDev -3.5%

32 fl oz. clear glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

A: Pours a four finger head of no real cream, okay thickness, and decent retention. Colour is a clear yellow.

Sm: Light cream and clean barley. That's about it. I'm unimpressed. The aroma is moderate in strength.

T: Clean barley makes up the foundation, with stale cream and badly handled malt atop. The balance is off and the build is poorly handled. It's really not great, but none of the flavours are foul per se.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but stale and too thick. Doesn't suit the flavours.

Dr: Drinkable, but bad. I wouldn't buy this again. With pacifico on the market, even fans of the style should avoid this one.

4.73/5  rDev +109.3%

If you enjoy a beer that does not leave a after tast in your mouth. That does not give you a headache, and is tolerable at room temperature.

The price has gone up 5.00 in the past couple years. I guess there are more people enjoying it everyday.

Considering I live in Tucson, AZ. That might have something to do with the growing demand.

The stores can't seem to keep it on the shelf here.

thank you, always make it a great day.

3.19/5  rDev +41.2%

I've already reviewed the Caguama Special Export, most of what I said about that beer stands with this one...

It has a little more skunky taste & aroma, isn't quite as drinkable as the Special Export. Beer salt and/or a lime compliment any Caguama better than any other beer I've had. I don't care much for the lime so I just do a little beer salt and it is great. It is fairly weak beer, but it goes down easy, very refreshing, and the best bang-for-your buck beer... at $9.99 per 12 pack at Kroger, I'd buy this over a coors/bud/miller/etc. ANY time! While this isn't as drinkable as the special export, i like it MUCH better than Corona.

to view more.