Cerveza Caguama - Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 102 | Reviews: 42
4.76/5  rDev +110.6%

Cheap, decent, Caguama

At this price point it is by far the best lager on the market imo.

Pale yellow, pleasant smell of pale malt with almost no hops. It's slightly citrusy on the nose. Taste follows the nose to a T and that is fantastic. Mouthfeel is very smooth. Perfect amount of carbonation.

Overall, grab this if you want something cheap. Forget the domestic cheap stuff cuz Caguama destroys them.

4.73/5  rDev +109.3%

If you enjoy a beer that does not leave a after tast in your mouth. That does not give you a headache, and is tolerable at room temperature.

The price has gone up 5.00 in the past couple years. I guess there are more people enjoying it everyday.

Considering I live in Tucson, AZ. That might have something to do with the growing demand.

The stores can't seem to keep it on the shelf here.

thank you, always make it a great day.

3.63/5  rDev +60.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

You can't downgrade this beer for looks-- it's clear golden with a substantial white foam that lasts rather well. It looks quite classy in my tall Petrus goblet.

There is just a whiff of the standard Euro cheap hops with that "skunky" note. But it doesn't linger, leaving a brief nose of something hoppy. Some corn and a touch of grainy sweetness. Decent spritzy mouthfeel.

This is not all that bad, as some seem shocked-- shocked! by what is a pretty standard light brew. Flavors are clean, it actually has a touch of hops, and the sweetness is not excessive. If you compared this to Bud Light, I think this cerveza would win easily. From the yes! actual quart bottle that will always remind me of Padre Beer from Safeway. This one came from Ralph's in San Diego for less than two bucks.

3.55/5  rDev +57.1%

If you like other Mexican beers, you'll like this one. Typical color, smell, head and lacing of the style - nothing really new here. It's not as flat tasting as other Mexicans, and has decent carbonation (comparatively speaking). It's a little sweet on the way down, with the after-taste being a bit dry. I prefer this beer over the "other" commercial brands.

3.23/5  rDev +42.9%

Got this one in a mixed six pack. Will not make that mistake again

A- Yellow/golden piss color. Very clear with a soapy head

S- Smells like macro lager with a bit of skunk

T- Reminds me of corona but lighter. Like corn husk and honey

M- Very light and pretty refreshing

D- Very drinkable. No problem in this department

3.19/5  rDev +41.2%

I've already reviewed the Caguama Special Export, most of what I said about that beer stands with this one...

It has a little more skunky taste & aroma, isn't quite as drinkable as the Special Export. Beer salt and/or a lime compliment any Caguama better than any other beer I've had. I don't care much for the lime so I just do a little beer salt and it is great. It is fairly weak beer, but it goes down easy, very refreshing, and the best bang-for-your buck beer... at $9.99 per 12 pack at Kroger, I'd buy this over a coors/bud/miller/etc. ANY time! While this isn't as drinkable as the special export, i like it MUCH better than Corona.

3.03/5  rDev +34.1%

Appearance: Looks near identical to the Caguama Light, so, what the heck, let's just copy/paste that here: Pours out a clear, fairly light yellow body with an airy, dainty-looking, white head.

Smell: Ill-boding nose smelling a bit strong of skunk. I'll watch some Star Trek: TNG while it wafts away. Eventually settles into a meagerly grainy extra pale malt nose with some weak notes of floral-toned hops.

Taste: A sweet taste of cereal grains with a modest backing of corn. Light floral hop character with a thin measure of bitterness. Dry, clean, crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Acceptable, sufficient even! When tasted back-to-back against the Caguama Light, the standard Caguama is a skosh more crisp and a bit less corny, both pluses for lagers in my book.

2.94/5  rDev +30.1%

A thank you to woodychandler for another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit of corn and grains. Taste is heavy on the corn side, nothing great but considering the style any flavor is a good thing. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer.

2.85/5  rDev +26.1%

My wife grimaces at the stuff I've been drinking lately (high-ABV IPAs, festive winter ales, etc.), so today I decided to be sweet and pick up something for her. She said she likes Corona with a lime, and this colorful loggerhead turtle says he's a lot like Corona. Plus—our new superbly-stocked-with-"specialty"-brews Kroger is pushing it as a "Kroger brand" beer, so it's wicked cheap if you've got a Kroger card.

She really liked the colorful loggerhead turtle on the carton and decided she was willing to try it (after deciding that she couldn't decide on which wine to get). I ended up drinking two when I got home.

Overall, it's a cheap Corona substitute from Central America (El Salvador). Looks like a Corona: clear goldish yellow. Head like a Corona: light, fizzy and gone in seconds. Smells like a Corona: why do all the "south of the border" beers have that skunky smell? Tastes like a Corona, and with lime... maybe it's been too long since I've had a Corona, and I'll probably catch hell for saying this—might even lose beer karma points—but... it might even taste better than a Corona (hey, it tastes better than that miserable Tequiza).

Overall, I'd say it wasn't all that bad. Definitely not the IPAs I'm used to, but its lower alcohol content means it's a real thirst-quencher—and you won't end up stumbling all over the place if you drink a couple while cleaning out the garage... which is always best done with a beer nearby!

2.69/5  rDev +19%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Straight from the 32 oz bottle. Ice cold.

A: Light. I've taken a leak that was darker than this. No head. Big bubbles from the bottle.

S: Cereal. Corn flakes, rice, there is a subdued hoppiness in there, but it's pretty weak and borderline skuny/green.

T: Eh, not much going on here. Not even enough flavor to be blatantly "bad". Very, very muted. Cereals come through. Very little to no hop bitterness, with more corn on the back end. However, not quite as porridge or Kellogg's as even the BMC bunch. Finsishes mostly dry on the finish, with a bit of the corn sweetness kicking in. Okay, poured a little into a glass. Very, very little taste. Perhaps rice is the dominant adjunct? Dunno. Burps do have the Euro lager aftertaste.

M: Light, bubbly. Seltzer like. Thin in the mouth.

O: Better than the 57, to be honest. Don't let it warm up, as I get the feeling the flavors will probably get a bit nasty. Seriously though, the 32 oz bottle cost be 2 bucks. For the price it's not half bad at all.

2.58/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

A - pale, see through yellow with a ton of carbonation bubbles but with a short, soapy head that disappears as fast as it forms

S - grainy, musty, grassy

T - grassy, cereal grains, mild bitter finish; the flavor is incredibly light

M - light bodied, crisp, well carbonated

This is your typical Mexican style lager. The flavor is so light that it borders on nonexistent. It's refreshing, but besides that this is completely forgettable. I'll pass in the future.

2.53/5  rDev +11.9%

Cerveza Caguama has a thick, fluffy, white head and a clear, bubbly, yellow-golden appearance. There is even some splotchy lacing associated with it. The aroma is of sweet, light malt and grain, and the flavor is almost neutral. One will get very light grain, almost no hops, and water. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Cerveza Caguama finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, dry, and bland. This is a low average, nothing beer.

RJT

2.53/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This came to me courtesy of KevSal and the early goings of New CANned Beer Sunday are centering around lagers, blonde ales, golden lagers, and the ilk. If I CAN hang in, IPAs, DIPAs and bigger beers will get their due later in the day. In the meantime, low and slow is the way to go!

Hey, don't tell me that The CANQuest (TM) isn't making me smarter! That isn't just any old garden variety turtle on the CAN/label, that is a Loggerhead (Lagerhead) and given its average lifespan, they may outlive me at the rate that I am going. Not to be morbid, but given my imbibing, I am probably foreshortening my lifespan. That is OK, since I would prefer a well-lived life than a long-lived life. Life fast, die young, leave a pretty corpse. At 47 y/o, I am no longer young and nobody ever referred to me as "pretty". Oh well. Here's to my new-found terrapin buddy!

From the CAN(!): "Legend has it the fishermen of Central America sought the Great Loggerhead Turtle in warm tropical waters. It was tribal belief that this powerful turtle, also known as the 'Caguama', symbolized good fortune for the fisherman's village. It's our hope that you too will experience the good fortune of the 'Caguama'. Salud!" Does that appear on the label of your bottle? Hmmm.

I was anxious to greet El Caguama and went to a quick Crack followed by an inverted Glug, resulting in a finger of fizzy, bone-white foam that quickly dissipated. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with a good bit of carbonation in evidence. A Greg Koch Special and if that marks me as a "sissy", so be it. Until Stone begins to CAN their beers, I will CANtinue to comment on Mr. Koch's comments on my drinking habits. Nose actually had a soft Saaz hops grassiness and my hopes were raised as a result. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was rather bland, taken as a whole. There was a slight tang, like lemon citrusiness, to accompany the grassy hoppiness. Finish was likewise kind of bland and watery. Perhaps this is just the way that the loggerhead turtle likes it. I CAN only tell you that I was pretty much underwhelmed.

2.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Not much here to say except CHEAP. Local Kroger had it on sale for $12.99/30 pack. In the can, there is no clear bottle skunkiness, smell or taste. Decant with a slice of lime and this is decent cheap sub for Corona on hot day. Or hell, just grab a can, slam it down and go get another one.

Caguama Update: My GF bought some Caguama in the bottle yesterday (8/3/06), I had just opened a New Belgium Blue Paddle and was sipping it. Sitting down wind from her about 3 feet I thought I detected a whiff of skunkiness in the air as she popped the cap on a Caguama, I picked it up and sniffed it....yep....skunk. I didn't say anything to her as she was happily drinking the hell out it, if she is happy I am tickled to death. At least she is experimenting with something besides BMC.

2.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Big, clear 32oz. bottle with a small mouth (very annoying pouring it into a glass). I’d expect this beer to 1) have more reviews and 2) be really popular with the macro-swillers. The macro crowd has to be the target audience for Cerveza Caguama, why? First of all, the nose is muted sweet adjuncts, maybe some kind of malt, and really faint metal. The taste is very bland. Not much hops, plenty of grain, and plenty of sweetness (sugar, corn?). But, in reality, it is not offensive but that doesn’t mean I’d want to drink it. It could make a good session beer for “poor/cheap” people (I snagged the 32oz for under $2.00). The beer poured very pale yellow, white head, good retention, very carbonated.

A thirst quenching beer, awfully light, it is not for me… is it for you?

2.32/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Aroma: one word, very grassy, ... Ok that was two words.

Taste: Grassy, very slight, almost unnoticeable nutty taste.

Feel: okay carbonation, really coats the mouth.

Look: it's all about taste in my book, but here we go... Very thin head, half a finger thick, clear, sorry but only color I can compare it to is a pee like gold like yellow.

Overall, it's an okay beer, cheap and drinkable. Very strong grassy note, not really an impressive beer. This one is forgettable.

2.26/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light yellow with a frothy white head. Smell is faint grains but not much else. Tastes like carbonated water with a hint of beer, not much to taste. Mouthfeel is very light, kind of smooth. Overall not much to speak of, a hot summer day sippin beer, good with high flavor meals because it acts more as a palette cleanser. Not great, but cheap.

2.23/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Poured a clear straw color with a white head that fades quickly

S - Is of fruity grainy malt

T - Like the smell not horrible but not too good either

M - This beer has a light body with high carbonation to it

D - This beer is really just ok I think it would have been a lot better if I was drinking it in my pool than as the mystery beer at the beer bar

2.19/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into pint glass.
Aroma- Has a beer smell that is driven by grass or grain.
Appearance- Looks like Coors Light to me, that is not a compliment.
Taste- Bland with a skunky finish, not good.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation, didn't really notice, trying to get the taste out of my mouth.
Overall- Somewhere between totally forgettable to regrettable, I just can't decide.

2.18/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance: Very pale, watery looking. Head was thin, nothing remarkable, dissipated quickly.

Smell: Kind of like a skunk rolling in hay. Not very pleasant, but not so horrible that I couldn't drink it

Taste: Semi-Cold - Just OK. First one was just out of the car after getting it from the store, so not very cold. Taste was a bit off, very malty. Ice Cold - Threw a couple in the icebox for 20 min, had one, and it was a much better taste. The malty taste gave way to some more subtle flavors, a little hoppy, a little roasted corn, still very malty.

Mouthfeel: Non-existent. Hardly tell you are drinking anything at all, my impression of what the mouthfeel of rubbing alcohol would be like.

Drinkability: Overall, not good, not terrible. I could see slamming down a few after mowing on a hot day, but for just sitting around sipping a brew in the sun and enjoying it, this is not the one.

2.18/5  rDev -3.5%

32 fl oz. clear glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

A: Pours a four finger head of no real cream, okay thickness, and decent retention. Colour is a clear yellow.

Sm: Light cream and clean barley. That's about it. I'm unimpressed. The aroma is moderate in strength.

T: Clean barley makes up the foundation, with stale cream and badly handled malt atop. The balance is off and the build is poorly handled. It's really not great, but none of the flavours are foul per se.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but stale and too thick. Doesn't suit the flavours.

Dr: Drinkable, but bad. I wouldn't buy this again. With pacifico on the market, even fans of the style should avoid this one.

2.16/5  rDev -4.4%

Cerveza Caguama, The importer is G.K. SKAGGS, INC.

Looks like beer, bubbles like beer and pours like beer and if I use my imagination hard enough it might even taste like beer. This new Cerveza Caguama is the first 3.2% alcohol beer I’ve had since... well, let’s just say since... If there were a category for yellow fizz water, I’d give Cerveza Caguama all fives, but alas, not. Some where, some one (not me) will take Cerveza Caguama home and fall in love with it. Cerveza Caguama is not offensive and has some slight, very slight taste, mostly from the carbonation. The carbonation taste is really not a taste at all, but a sensation of pain, and I’m not into pain. For those you who don’t like the taste of beer, you might actually like this brew.

Light, very light and there is a light version of Cerveza Caguama (unbelievable) that will quench your thirst, as long as that thirst is not for beer.

2.15/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured out of a clear bomber fattie into a Duvel tulip. Looks like any other thinned out lager that you might find in the grocery store--pale and fizzy. Smells pretty skunked, musty, something a little off maybe from damage since there is so much light exposure on this stupid bottle design. Taste is blah, mouthfeel is poor and thin. Drinkability is fine.

2.08/5  rDev -8%

I found this brew to be well below average.
Appearance was a light golden hue with a very slight lace. Carbonation is medium, the bubbles huge. The body is a medium/light at best, leaning towards the light.
Aroma was that of the skunk.
The taste was fairly well balanced with an edge to the malt.
Not an exciting addition to my stable of samples...I think I may have dozed off a few times while tasting but the smell woke me back up.

2.01/5  rDev -11.1%

12 oz can found in the back of the fridge

Appearance - Clear gold/yellow colour with an above average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an above average amount of carbonation showing and there is a pretty decent amount of lacing. The head lasted for around five minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/bread, corn, skunk

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a low amount of carbonation and feels very thin. There is a lot of corn flavour mixed with some grains and some skunk. It finishes with a adjunct corn aftertaste.

Overall - Well, at least it looked fairly decent in the glass. I wouldn't drink this beer again.. even as a lawnmower beer.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »