Cerveza Caguama - Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd

awful

Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd visit their website
El Salvador

Light Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2002)

bacher468, Jun 26, 2014

dwheadstone, Aug 31, 2014
4.8/5  rDev +116.2%

Cheap, decent, Caguama

At this price point it is by far the best lager on the market imo.

Pale yellow, pleasant smell of pale malt with almost no hops. It's slightly citrusy on the nose. Taste follows the nose to a T and that is fantastic. Mouthfeel is very smooth. Perfect amount of carbonation.

Overall, grab this if you want something cheap. Forget the domestic cheap stuff cuz Caguama destroys them.

TheFlern, May 05, 2013
4.78/5  rDev +115.3%

If you enjoy a beer that does not leave a after tast in your mouth. That does not give you a headache, and is tolerable at room temperature.

The price has gone up 5.00 in the past couple years. I guess there are more people enjoying it everyday.

Considering I live in Tucson, AZ. That might have something to do with the growing demand.

The stores can't seem to keep it on the shelf here.

thank you, always make it a great day.

juZzdOiT, Jun 18, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +91.4%

Dapperticus, Oct 06, 2012

beerrat, Nov 30, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +68.9%

RedOdin, Jan 22, 2013
3.6/5  rDev +62.2%

If you like other Mexican beers, you'll like this one. Typical color, smell, head and lacing of the style - nothing really new here. It's not as flat tasting as other Mexicans, and has decent carbonation (comparatively speaking). It's a little sweet on the way down, with the after-taste being a bit dry. I prefer this beer over the "other" commercial brands.

BeerYain, Jul 13, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +57.7%

FATH3RH0P5, Nov 15, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +46.4%

Got this one in a mixed six pack. Will not make that mistake again

A- Yellow/golden piss color. Very clear with a soapy head

S- Smells like macro lager with a bit of skunk

T- Reminds me of corona but lighter. Like corn husk and honey

M- Very light and pretty refreshing

D- Very drinkable. No problem in this department

EnojysAnyBeer, Nov 27, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +43.2%

I've already reviewed the Caguama Special Export, most of what I said about that beer stands with this one...

It has a little more skunky taste & aroma, isn't quite as drinkable as the Special Export. Beer salt and/or a lime compliment any Caguama better than any other beer I've had. I don't care much for the lime so I just do a little beer salt and it is great. It is fairly weak beer, but it goes down easy, very refreshing, and the best bang-for-your buck beer... at $9.99 per 12 pack at Kroger, I'd buy this over a coors/bud/miller/etc. ANY time! While this isn't as drinkable as the special export, i like it MUCH better than Corona.

LPool, Nov 26, 2008
3.05/5  rDev +37.4%

Appearance: Looks near identical to the Caguama Light, so, what the heck, let's just copy/paste that here: Pours out a clear, fairly light yellow body with an airy, dainty-looking, white head.

Smell: Ill-boding nose smelling a bit strong of skunk. I'll watch some Star Trek: TNG while it wafts away. Eventually settles into a meagerly grainy extra pale malt nose with some weak notes of floral-toned hops.

Taste: A sweet taste of cereal grains with a modest backing of corn. Light floral hop character with a thin measure of bitterness. Dry, clean, crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Acceptable, sufficient even! When tasted back-to-back against the Caguama Light, the standard Caguama is a skosh more crisp and a bit less corny, both pluses for lagers in my book.

ChainGangGuy, Apr 11, 2010

Nick4202, Jul 24, 2014

hyouwassa, Mar 24, 2014

KevinDanger23, Nov 08, 2013
2.95/5  rDev +32.9%

A thank you to woodychandler for another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit of corn and grains. Taste is heavy on the corn side, nothing great but considering the style any flavor is a good thing. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer.

tone77, Jul 20, 2012
2.93/5  rDev +32%

My wife grimaces at the stuff I've been drinking lately (high-ABV IPAs, festive winter ales, etc.), so today I decided to be sweet and pick up something for her. She said she likes Corona with a lime, and this colorful loggerhead turtle says he's a lot like Corona. Plus—our new superbly-stocked-with-"specialty"-brews Kroger is pushing it as a "Kroger brand" beer, so it's wicked cheap if you've got a Kroger card.

She really liked the colorful loggerhead turtle on the carton and decided she was willing to try it (after deciding that she couldn't decide on which wine to get). I ended up drinking two when I got home.

Overall, it's a cheap Corona substitute from Central America (El Salvador). Looks like a Corona: clear goldish yellow. Head like a Corona: light, fizzy and gone in seconds. Smells like a Corona: why do all the "south of the border" beers have that skunky smell? Tastes like a Corona, and with lime... maybe it's been too long since I've had a Corona, and I'll probably catch hell for saying this—might even lose beer karma points—but... it might even taste better than a Corona (hey, it tastes better than that miserable Tequiza).

Overall, I'd say it wasn't all that bad. Definitely not the IPAs I'm used to, but its lower alcohol content means it's a real thirst-quencher—and you won't end up stumbling all over the place if you drink a couple while cleaning out the garage... which is always best done with a beer nearby!

StarSAELS, Jan 07, 2007
2.75/5  rDev +23.9%

khargro2, Jul 21, 2013
2.75/5  rDev +23.9%

slimpickens101, Jun 29, 2013
2.58/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

A - pale, see through yellow with a ton of carbonation bubbles but with a short, soapy head that disappears as fast as it forms

S - grainy, musty, grassy

T - grassy, cereal grains, mild bitter finish; the flavor is incredibly light

M - light bodied, crisp, well carbonated

This is your typical Mexican style lager. The flavor is so light that it borders on nonexistent. It's refreshing, but besides that this is completely forgettable. I'll pass in the future.

tdm168, Jul 29, 2013
2.53/5  rDev +14%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This came to me courtesy of KevSal and the early goings of New CANned Beer Sunday are centering around lagers, blonde ales, golden lagers, and the ilk. If I CAN hang in, IPAs, DIPAs and bigger beers will get their due later in the day. In the meantime, low and slow is the way to go!

Hey, don't tell me that The CANQuest (TM) isn't making me smarter! That isn't just any old garden variety turtle on the CAN/label, that is a Loggerhead (Lagerhead) and given its average lifespan, they may outlive me at the rate that I am going. Not to be morbid, but given my imbibing, I am probably foreshortening my lifespan. That is OK, since I would prefer a well-lived life than a long-lived life. Life fast, die young, leave a pretty corpse. At 47 y/o, I am no longer young and nobody ever referred to me as "pretty". Oh well. Here's to my new-found terrapin buddy!

From the CAN(!): "Legend has it the fishermen of Central America sought the Great Loggerhead Turtle in warm tropical waters. It was tribal belief that this powerful turtle, also known as the 'Caguama', symbolized good fortune for the fisherman's village. It's our hope that you too will experience the good fortune of the 'Caguama'. Salud!" Does that appear on the label of your bottle? Hmmm.

I was anxious to greet El Caguama and went to a quick Crack followed by an inverted Glug, resulting in a finger of fizzy, bone-white foam that quickly dissipated. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with a good bit of carbonation in evidence. A Greg Koch Special and if that marks me as a "sissy", so be it. Until Stone begins to CAN their beers, I will CANtinue to comment on Mr. Koch's comments on my drinking habits. Nose actually had a soft Saaz hops grassiness and my hopes were raised as a result. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was rather bland, taken as a whole. There was a slight tang, like lemon citrusiness, to accompany the grassy hoppiness. Finish was likewise kind of bland and watery. Perhaps this is just the way that the loggerhead turtle likes it. I CAN only tell you that I was pretty much underwhelmed.

woodychandler, Aug 05, 2012
2.5/5  rDev +12.6%

Not much here to say except CHEAP. Local Kroger had it on sale for $12.99/30 pack. In the can, there is no clear bottle skunkiness, smell or taste. Decant with a slice of lime and this is decent cheap sub for Corona on hot day. Or hell, just grab a can, slam it down and go get another one.

Caguama Update: My GF bought some Caguama in the bottle yesterday (8/3/06), I had just opened a New Belgium Blue Paddle and was sipping it. Sitting down wind from her about 3 feet I thought I detected a whiff of skunkiness in the air as she popped the cap on a Caguama, I picked it up and sniffed it....yep....skunk. I didn't say anything to her as she was happily drinking the hell out it, if she is happy I am tickled to death. At least she is experimenting with something besides BMC.

scottblaze, Jul 30, 2006