Cerveza Caguama - Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd

awful

Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd visit their website
El Salvador

Light Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2002)
View: Beers (18) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
RoyalT

Appearance – This was the lightest-colored beer that I have ever seen. It was almost the color of water, except that it had a slight shade of yellow. It was actually lighter than urine.

Smell – This was the stinkiest beer I have ever opened as well. It filled the room with dead skunk. The aroma was absolutely disgusting.

Taste – Oh, God. This was just horrible. Besides the strong skunk flavor, there was a putrid sweetness of sticky candy growing mold underneath a bench seat at a local high school track field.

Mouthfeel – A slight carbonation was all that was offered to distract the drinker from the horrendous flavor.

Drinkability – I couldn’t possibly get through the entire bottle. I swore I would never “one” a bottle, but this is it.

09-18-2003 01:20:59 | More by RoyalT
freshflesh

02-09-2014 06:18:08 | More by freshflesh
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

Appears pale golden piss like with a thin highly carbonated head, I suggest a lime or some fruit to do justice to this god awful beer. Aromatics are harsh malts with a tad of sweetness and not really much of anything worth ever trying again. Flavor is just sub Corona in my level one of the worst beers I have ever come across, in my opinion this style of beer has to be the most unpalatable just a harsh unpleasant flavor that needs to be covered up. Clear bottle and thin body plus high carbonation equal nasty beer farts and all the belching you can deliver. Drinkability again well not if this was the last beer on earth, I truly hated this one.

09-01-2003 06:37:08 | More by WVbeergeek

kornkid8600

12-08-2011 10:42:55 | More by kornkid8600
cvstrickland

1.15/5  rDev -47.7%

32-ounce clear fatty-style bottle poured into a pokal glass yields a clear pale straw body with a huge snappy white head fed by streamers of active carbonation. The foam settles slowly and leaves a good amount of lacing spattered on the glass. The beer actually looks really good for the style, but unfortunately that's the last right move the brewers made with Cerveza Caguama.

Though a Great Loggerhead Turtle adorns the bottle, the aroma from within is pure skunk. (Well, a skunk kept in a cardboard box and fed stale corn flakes drizzled in bargain-brand dishwashing liquid would probably be a more accurate description, but I'm digressing...)

The taste of the drink is quite sweet, with a clean corniness that I don't hate, but a thin watery body that I do. No bitterness. No crispness. Just sweet with a bit of wet paper bag and sourness.

This beer, at approximately 26 remaining ounces of the 32 original, now holds the dubious distinction of being my most voluminous drainpour to date. Pisswater! Swill!

08-10-2008 22:39:55 | More by cvstrickland
humuloner22

1.24/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

This is the worst beer I have ever had. I bought it on a whim because the store had it on sale for like $4 a sixpack. I should have taken that as a warning sign. Its bottled in clear bottles which is also a bad sign but that is common among Latin American beers. I put them on ice and even ice cold it was rancid. Maybe it was the beer had gone bad and maybe that was why it was on sale. But it was so bad that after choking through one and a half. I took the rest and threw them away. Nobody should endure this beer if they don't have to.

Someone below stated it was typical of the style and maybe they had a better batch, but this is in now way shape or form in the league of Modelo Especial or even Dos Equis Lager. I have had some bad beers but this one is THE definition of swill. It tasted of rotten corn and moldy malt. It was thin, and pale in color. Overall $4 was a ripoff!

04-12-2014 22:13:26 | More by humuloner22
LADYBEAST

1.25/5  rDev -43.2%

01-04-2014 06:59:16 | More by LADYBEAST
beerprovedwright

Georgia

1.38/5  rDev -37.3%

Not impressed with the pour, color or head. The color is a pale yellow rating a 4 on the SRM Chart. The head was little finger high for about 10 seconds, and I tried hard to get a good head. The first impression is a hint of lime over nothing else. There is little to no taste of anything I can decern, very bland. Water has about the same feeling as this brew. I will avoid this beer unless it would hurt someones feelings if they offered me one. Don't spend your hard earned cash on this one unless you like very light lager.

10-08-2010 20:43:27 | More by beerprovedwright
importedfromdet

1.45/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Seen this at my local Kroger and thought I would give it a shot.

As someone who prefers micro-brews but is not a snob to the macros, I was severely disappointed with this one.

Out of all the beers I have had in my life this one definitely has to take the cake as one of the worst.

Upon opening of the large 32 oz bottle, an awful aroma filled the air and quickly diminished. It appears like a light refreshing Sol or Corona, but I was soon to be disappointed.

Taste directly from the bottle tastes of a poor malt liquor. No notes of anything except for high malt. The aftertaste is definitely that nasty malty/metallic that you get toward the end of a 40 oz.

I may have just had a skunked version of this beer, but I am not even close to half and it is barely sippable.

04-19-2013 02:05:37 | More by importedfromdet

freshtojeff

05-20-2012 22:42:44 | More by freshtojeff
keeganfrank

1.53/5  rDev -30.5%

Very pale lager with a thin, sudsy head. Odor is a little faint but comes across as leafy, grassy and salty. Fruity, savory flavor with an odd, almost salty aftertaste. I'm not a picky beer drinker by any means and I can barely stand this stuff. If you're in a situation where you have to drink this, make sure it's bordering on frozen. The flavors get more weird and less tolerable the warmer it gets.

05-13-2012 22:31:36 | More by keeganfrank
Wasatch

Utah

1.53/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a pale yellow color, some carbonation, little foamy/fizzy white head, barely some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is slightly malty, with lots of grains/rice notes, skunky. The taste is sweet, kinda malty, grainy/ricy. Light Body, slightly dry finish. Would not drink again, JUNK BEER!

08-24-2011 01:39:51 | More by Wasatch
67cuda

Colorado

1.6/5  rDev -27.3%

I have to say this beer is really probably one of the worst I've ever had... It has no head, an awful smell, and it looks disturbingly similar to horse urine. The clear bottle makes sure that the oddly sweet corn taste has a healthy dose of skunk to go along with it. I would say if you have to have a beer from El Salvador, go with the Pilsener beer from this brewery... it's MUCH MUCH MUCH better!

01-04-2005 01:55:31 | More by 67cuda
Reidrover

Oregon

1.65/5  rDev -25%

Ok wife bought some beer for an upcoming BBQ, unfortunatly i spied a case of this stuff..tried one tonight.
12 oz clear glass bottle with painted label with a turtle on it.
The appearance is pretty bad..urine looking..with a rather bubble head..real unattractive.
This beer smelled awful..as soon as i opened the cap..it just stank bad..not appetizing.
taste is weak but i was releaved it was not as abad as the stench this gives off...just the tatse of cheap corn syrup really.
Not too great in the mouth weak and watery at best disturbingly cloying at worst.
not drinkable at all for me down their with its mentor Corona..now how can i persuade the wife to not give this crap out at the BBQ..mmm

07-10-2003 19:09:43 | More by Reidrover
JISurfer

South Carolina

1.65/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This shtuff was NASTY! I got it, cause I like turtles and I enjoyed the little story on the bottle. Well, I am glad that it was piss cheap, cause it tasted like piss. Skunky smell +skunky taste + wateriness = I am never getting this stuff again. I have had better from that area, so I am not going back. Sorry mr. turtle, "no soup for you!"

08-10-2003 07:58:32 | More by JISurfer
Mora2000

1.68/5  rDev -23.6%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this huge (946 ml) clear-bottled beer.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is a wonderful mix of skunk spray and corn. The flavor is somehow just as bad if not worse. I get a lot of adjuncts and a lot of skunk. This is one of the skunkiest beers I have tried. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

07-10-2010 05:36:51 | More by Mora2000