Cerveza Caguama - Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd

El Salvador

Light Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

Appearance – This was the lightest-colored beer that I have ever seen. It was almost the color of water, except that it had a slight shade of yellow. It was actually lighter than urine.

Smell – This was the stinkiest beer I have ever opened as well. It filled the room with dead skunk. The aroma was absolutely disgusting.

Taste – Oh, God. This was just horrible. Besides the strong skunk flavor, there was a putrid sweetness of sticky candy growing mold underneath a bench seat at a local high school track field.

Mouthfeel – A slight carbonation was all that was offered to distract the drinker from the horrendous flavor.

Drinkability – I couldn’t possibly get through the entire bottle. I swore I would never “one” a bottle, but this is it. (764 characters)

Appears pale golden piss like with a thin highly carbonated head, I suggest a lime or some fruit to do justice to this god awful beer. Aromatics are harsh malts with a tad of sweetness and not really much of anything worth ever trying again. Flavor is just sub Corona in my level one of the worst beers I have ever come across, in my opinion this style of beer has to be the most unpalatable just a harsh unpleasant flavor that needs to be covered up. Clear bottle and thin body plus high carbonation equal nasty beer farts and all the belching you can deliver. Drinkability again well not if this was the last beer on earth, I truly hated this one. (649 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -48.2%

32-ounce clear fatty-style bottle poured into a pokal glass yields a clear pale straw body with a huge snappy white head fed by streamers of active carbonation. The foam settles slowly and leaves a good amount of lacing spattered on the glass. The beer actually looks really good for the style, but unfortunately that's the last right move the brewers made with Cerveza Caguama.

Though a Great Loggerhead Turtle adorns the bottle, the aroma from within is pure skunk. (Well, a skunk kept in a cardboard box and fed stale corn flakes drizzled in bargain-brand dishwashing liquid would probably be a more accurate description, but I'm digressing...)

The taste of the drink is quite sweet, with a clean corniness that I don't hate, but a thin watery body that I do. No bitterness. No crispness. Just sweet with a bit of wet paper bag and sourness.

This beer, at approximately 26 remaining ounces of the 32 original, now holds the dubious distinction of being my most voluminous drainpour to date. Pisswater! Swill! (1,014 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

This is the worst beer I have ever had. I bought it on a whim because the store had it on sale for like $4 a sixpack. I should have taken that as a warning sign. Its bottled in clear bottles which is also a bad sign but that is common among Latin American beers. I put them on ice and even ice cold it was rancid. Maybe it was the beer had gone bad and maybe that was why it was on sale. But it was so bad that after choking through one and a half. I took the rest and threw them away. Nobody should endure this beer if they don't have to.

Someone below stated it was typical of the style and maybe they had a better batch, but this is in now way shape or form in the league of Modelo Especial or even Dos Equis Lager. I have had some bad beers but this one is THE definition of swill. It tasted of rotten corn and moldy malt. It was thin, and pale in color. Overall $4 was a ripoff! (885 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -36.8%

Not impressed with the pour, color or head. The color is a pale yellow rating a 4 on the SRM Chart. The head was little finger high for about 10 seconds, and I tried hard to get a good head. The first impression is a hint of lime over nothing else. There is little to no taste of anything I can decern, very bland. Water has about the same feeling as this brew. I will avoid this beer unless it would hurt someones feelings if they offered me one. Don't spend your hard earned cash on this one unless you like very light lager. (527 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -36%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Seen this at my local Kroger and thought I would give it a shot.

As someone who prefers micro-brews but is not a snob to the macros, I was severely disappointed with this one.

Out of all the beers I have had in my life this one definitely has to take the cake as one of the worst.

Upon opening of the large 32 oz bottle, an awful aroma filled the air and quickly diminished. It appears like a light refreshing Sol or Corona, but I was soon to be disappointed.

Taste directly from the bottle tastes of a poor malt liquor. No notes of anything except for high malt. The aftertaste is definitely that nasty malty/metallic that you get toward the end of a 40 oz.

I may have just had a skunked version of this beer, but I am not even close to half and it is barely sippable. (776 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a pale yellow color, some carbonation, little foamy/fizzy white head, barely some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is slightly malty, with lots of grains/rice notes, skunky. The taste is sweet, kinda malty, grainy/ricy. Light Body, slightly dry finish. Would not drink again, JUNK BEER! (295 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -32%

I have to say this beer is really probably one of the worst I've ever had... It has no head, an awful smell, and it looks disturbingly similar to horse urine. The clear bottle makes sure that the oddly sweet corn taste has a healthy dose of skunk to go along with it. I would say if you have to have a beer from El Salvador, go with the Pilsener beer from this brewery... it's MUCH MUCH MUCH better! (399 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -31.1%

Very pale lager with a thin, sudsy head. Odor is a little faint but comes across as leafy, grassy and salty. Fruity, savory flavor with an odd, almost salty aftertaste. I'm not a picky beer drinker by any means and I can barely stand this stuff. If you're in a situation where you have to drink this, make sure it's bordering on frozen. The flavors get more weird and less tolerable the warmer it gets. (402 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -29.8%

Ok wife bought some beer for an upcoming BBQ, unfortunatly i spied a case of this stuff..tried one tonight.
12 oz clear glass bottle with painted label with a turtle on it.
The appearance is pretty bad..urine looking..with a rather bubble head..real unattractive.
This beer smelled awful..as soon as i opened the cap..it just stank bad..not appetizing.
taste is weak but i was releaved it was not as abad as the stench this gives off...just the tatse of cheap corn syrup really.
Not too great in the mouth weak and watery at best disturbingly cloying at worst.
not drinkable at all for me down their with its mentor Corona..now how can i persuade the wife to not give this crap out at the BBQ..mmm (703 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -26.3%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this huge (946 ml) clear-bottled beer.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is a wonderful mix of skunk spray and corn. The flavor is somehow just as bad if not worse. I get a lot of adjuncts and a lot of skunk. This is one of the skunkiest beers I have tried. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (363 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This shtuff was NASTY! I got it, cause I like turtles and I enjoyed the little story on the bottle. Well, I am glad that it was piss cheap, cause it tasted like piss. Skunky smell +skunky taste + wateriness = I am never getting this stuff again. I have had better from that area, so I am not going back. Sorry mr. turtle, "no soup for you!" (340 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured the lightest pale golden color I've ever seen in a beer, with a foamy one finger head which left some lacing.

Smelled like a skunk in a cornfield.

Tasted very weak, almost hard to discern anything that stood out really. I've had worse tasting beers, but only because they actually had some sort of taste to them whereas this one practically doesn't.

Mouthfeel was awful. This beer was not thin, it was anorexic. I drank some water after drinking some of this brew and the water felt like a milkshake in my mouth compared to this beer. This one goes into my "Worst Mouthfeel of All Time" hall of fame in the #1 spot.

Drinkability? Let's put it this way ... it's a great beer for people who don't like beer. I'm glad someone gave me a can of this because if I'd paid a cent for it I would have felt ripped off. In fact, I feel ripped off anyways. (856 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -17.1%

Just by looking at the orangish yellow tint to this beer, you know you are about to drink something nasty. This beer is the epitome of skunky in both smell and taste. It tastes like a day old stale Corona, but even worse. This is an absolute embarrassment to the brewers of this beer. No wonder a 32 oz bottle is only $1.99. I guess this would be well received amongst Mexican hobos. (383 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a clear, wan yellow with a white head that quickly dissipates - hardly looks like beer at all. Aroma is a bit fruity and has a strong skunky overtone. Flavor is just strong and just malty enough to pass for beer. Texture is smooth and a little tingly. Nothing to write home about - but I was willing to give El Salvadorian beer a fair shake. (347 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -14%

Picked this up in bottle form from the local Kroger since they have begun carrying it and allowing sample packs.

Looks very pale

The smell instantly turned my nose up and made my house stink.

The taste was just average and nothing to right home about, it just tasted like alcohol no real flavor.

This is just an ok beer over all, glad I only bought the single bottle. I could drink it but won't be buying it again. (422 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -11.8%

12 oz can found in the back of the fridge

Appearance - Clear gold/yellow colour with an above average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an above average amount of carbonation showing and there is a pretty decent amount of lacing. The head lasted for around five minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/bread, corn, skunk

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a low amount of carbonation and feels very thin. There is a lot of corn flavour mixed with some grains and some skunk. It finishes with a adjunct corn aftertaste.

Overall - Well, at least it looked fairly decent in the glass. I wouldn't drink this beer again.. even as a lawnmower beer. (650 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -8.8%

I found this brew to be well below average.
Appearance was a light golden hue with a very slight lace. Carbonation is medium, the bubbles huge. The body is a medium/light at best, leaning towards the light.
Aroma was that of the skunk.
The taste was fairly well balanced with an edge to the malt.
Not an exciting addition to my stable of samples...I think I may have dozed off a few times while tasting but the smell woke me back up. (437 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured out of a clear bomber fattie into a Duvel tulip. Looks like any other thinned out lager that you might find in the grocery store--pale and fizzy. Smells pretty skunked, musty, something a little off maybe from damage since there is so much light exposure on this stupid bottle design. Taste is blah, mouthfeel is poor and thin. Drinkability is fine. (356 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -5.3%

Cerveza Caguama, The importer is G.K. SKAGGS, INC.

Looks like beer, bubbles like beer and pours like beer and if I use my imagination hard enough it might even taste like beer. This new Cerveza Caguama is the first 3.2% alcohol beer I’ve had since... well, let’s just say since... If there were a category for yellow fizz water, I’d give Cerveza Caguama all fives, but alas, not. Some where, some one (not me) will take Cerveza Caguama home and fall in love with it. Cerveza Caguama is not offensive and has some slight, very slight taste, mostly from the carbonation. The carbonation taste is really not a taste at all, but a sensation of pain, and I’m not into pain. For those you who don’t like the taste of beer, you might actually like this brew.

Light, very light and there is a light version of Cerveza Caguama (unbelievable) that will quench your thirst, as long as that thirst is not for beer. (913 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: Very pale, watery looking. Head was thin, nothing remarkable, dissipated quickly.

Smell: Kind of like a skunk rolling in hay. Not very pleasant, but not so horrible that I couldn't drink it

Taste: Semi-Cold - Just OK. First one was just out of the car after getting it from the store, so not very cold. Taste was a bit off, very malty. Ice Cold - Threw a couple in the icebox for 20 min, had one, and it was a much better taste. The malty taste gave way to some more subtle flavors, a little hoppy, a little roasted corn, still very malty.

Mouthfeel: Non-existent. Hardly tell you are drinking anything at all, my impression of what the mouthfeel of rubbing alcohol would be like.

Drinkability: Overall, not good, not terrible. I could see slamming down a few after mowing on a hot day, but for just sitting around sipping a brew in the sun and enjoying it, this is not the one. (894 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -4.4%

32 fl oz. clear glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

A: Pours a four finger head of no real cream, okay thickness, and decent retention. Colour is a clear yellow.

Sm: Light cream and clean barley. That's about it. I'm unimpressed. The aroma is moderate in strength.

T: Clean barley makes up the foundation, with stale cream and badly handled malt atop. The balance is off and the build is poorly handled. It's really not great, but none of the flavours are foul per se.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but stale and too thick. Doesn't suit the flavours.

Dr: Drinkable, but bad. I wouldn't buy this again. With pacifico on the market, even fans of the style should avoid this one. (800 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into pint glass.
Aroma- Has a beer smell that is driven by grass or grain.
Appearance- Looks like Coors Light to me, that is not a compliment.
Taste- Bland with a skunky finish, not good.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation, didn't really notice, trying to get the taste out of my mouth.
Overall- Somewhere between totally forgettable to regrettable, I just can't decide. (416 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Poured a clear straw color with a white head that fades quickly

S - Is of fruity grainy malt

T - Like the smell not horrible but not too good either

M - This beer has a light body with high carbonation to it

D - This beer is really just ok I think it would have been a lot better if I was drinking it in my pool than as the mystery beer at the beer bar (360 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light yellow with a frothy white head. Smell is faint grains but not much else. Tastes like carbonated water with a hint of beer, not much to taste. Mouthfeel is very light, kind of smooth. Overall not much to speak of, a hot summer day sippin beer, good with high flavor meals because it acts more as a palette cleanser. Not great, but cheap. (351 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast