Cerveza Caguama - Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd

Light Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.03/5  rDev +32.9%

Appearance: Looks near identical to the Caguama Light, so, what the heck, let's just copy/paste that here: Pours out a clear, fairly light yellow body with an airy, dainty-looking, white head.

Smell: Ill-boding nose smelling a bit strong of skunk. I'll watch some Star Trek: TNG while it wafts away. Eventually settles into a meagerly grainy extra pale malt nose with some weak notes of floral-toned hops.

Taste: A sweet taste of cereal grains with a modest backing of corn. Light floral hop character with a thin measure of bitterness. Dry, clean, crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Acceptable, sufficient even! When tasted back-to-back against the Caguama Light, the standard Caguama is a skosh more crisp and a bit less corny, both pluses for lagers in my book. (811 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +59.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

You can't downgrade this beer for looks-- it's clear golden with a substantial white foam that lasts rather well. It looks quite classy in my tall Petrus goblet.

There is just a whiff of the standard Euro cheap hops with that "skunky" note. But it doesn't linger, leaving a brief nose of something hoppy. Some corn and a touch of grainy sweetness. Decent spritzy mouthfeel.

This is not all that bad, as some seem shocked-- shocked! by what is a pretty standard light brew. Flavors are clean, it actually has a touch of hops, and the sweetness is not excessive. If you compared this to Bud Light, I think this cerveza would win easily. From the yes! actual quart bottle that will always remind me of Padre Beer from Safeway. This one came from Ralph's in San Diego for less than two bucks. (791 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -4.4%

32 fl oz. clear glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low.

A: Pours a four finger head of no real cream, okay thickness, and decent retention. Colour is a clear yellow.

Sm: Light cream and clean barley. That's about it. I'm unimpressed. The aroma is moderate in strength.

T: Clean barley makes up the foundation, with stale cream and badly handled malt atop. The balance is off and the build is poorly handled. It's really not great, but none of the flavours are foul per se.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but stale and too thick. Doesn't suit the flavours.

Dr: Drinkable, but bad. I wouldn't buy this again. With pacifico on the market, even fans of the style should avoid this one. (800 characters)

Appears pale golden piss like with a thin highly carbonated head, I suggest a lime or some fruit to do justice to this god awful beer. Aromatics are harsh malts with a tad of sweetness and not really much of anything worth ever trying again. Flavor is just sub Corona in my level one of the worst beers I have ever come across, in my opinion this style of beer has to be the most unpalatable just a harsh unpleasant flavor that needs to be covered up. Clear bottle and thin body plus high carbonation equal nasty beer farts and all the belching you can deliver. Drinkability again well not if this was the last beer on earth, I truly hated this one. (649 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -26.3%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this huge (946 ml) clear-bottled beer.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is a wonderful mix of skunk spray and corn. The flavor is somehow just as bad if not worse. I get a lot of adjuncts and a lot of skunk. This is one of the skunkiest beers I have tried. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (363 characters)

2.58/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

A - pale, see through yellow with a ton of carbonation bubbles but with a short, soapy head that disappears as fast as it forms

S - grainy, musty, grassy

T - grassy, cereal grains, mild bitter finish; the flavor is incredibly light

M - light bodied, crisp, well carbonated

This is your typical Mexican style lager. The flavor is so light that it borders on nonexistent. It's refreshing, but besides that this is completely forgettable. I'll pass in the future. (464 characters)

2.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This came to me courtesy of KevSal and the early goings of New CANned Beer Sunday are centering around lagers, blonde ales, golden lagers, and the ilk. If I CAN hang in, IPAs, DIPAs and bigger beers will get their due later in the day. In the meantime, low and slow is the way to go!

Hey, don't tell me that The CANQuest (TM) isn't making me smarter! That isn't just any old garden variety turtle on the CAN/label, that is a Loggerhead (Lagerhead) and given its average lifespan, they may outlive me at the rate that I am going. Not to be morbid, but given my imbibing, I am probably foreshortening my lifespan. That is OK, since I would prefer a well-lived life than a long-lived life. Life fast, die young, leave a pretty corpse. At 47 y/o, I am no longer young and nobody ever referred to me as "pretty". Oh well. Here's to my new-found terrapin buddy!

From the CAN(!): "Legend has it the fishermen of Central America sought the Great Loggerhead Turtle in warm tropical waters. It was tribal belief that this powerful turtle, also known as the 'Caguama', symbolized good fortune for the fisherman's village. It's our hope that you too will experience the good fortune of the 'Caguama'. Salud!" Does that appear on the label of your bottle? Hmmm.

I was anxious to greet El Caguama and went to a quick Crack followed by an inverted Glug, resulting in a finger of fizzy, bone-white foam that quickly dissipated. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with a good bit of carbonation in evidence. A Greg Koch Special and if that marks me as a "sissy", so be it. Until Stone begins to CAN their beers, I will CANtinue to comment on Mr. Koch's comments on my drinking habits. Nose actually had a soft Saaz hops grassiness and my hopes were raised as a result. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was rather bland, taken as a whole. There was a slight tang, like lemon citrusiness, to accompany the grassy hoppiness. Finish was likewise kind of bland and watery. Perhaps this is just the way that the loggerhead turtle likes it. I CAN only tell you that I was pretty much underwhelmed. (2,074 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a pale yellow color, some carbonation, little foamy/fizzy white head, barely some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is slightly malty, with lots of grains/rice notes, skunky. The taste is sweet, kinda malty, grainy/ricy. Light Body, slightly dry finish. Would not drink again, JUNK BEER! (295 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +28.9%

A thank you to woodychandler for another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit of corn and grains. Taste is heavy on the corn side, nothing great but considering the style any flavor is a good thing. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer. (323 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -11.8%

12 oz can found in the back of the fridge

Appearance - Clear gold/yellow colour with an above average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an above average amount of carbonation showing and there is a pretty decent amount of lacing. The head lasted for around five minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/bread, corn, skunk

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a low amount of carbonation and feels very thin. There is a lot of corn flavour mixed with some grains and some skunk. It finishes with a adjunct corn aftertaste.

Overall - Well, at least it looked fairly decent in the glass. I wouldn't drink this beer again.. even as a lawnmower beer. (650 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a clear, wan yellow with a white head that quickly dissipates - hardly looks like beer at all. Aroma is a bit fruity and has a strong skunky overtone. Flavor is just strong and just malty enough to pass for beer. Texture is smooth and a little tingly. Nothing to write home about - but I was willing to give El Salvadorian beer a fair shake. (347 characters)

Appearance – This was the lightest-colored beer that I have ever seen. It was almost the color of water, except that it had a slight shade of yellow. It was actually lighter than urine.

Smell – This was the stinkiest beer I have ever opened as well. It filled the room with dead skunk. The aroma was absolutely disgusting.

Taste – Oh, God. This was just horrible. Besides the strong skunk flavor, there was a putrid sweetness of sticky candy growing mold underneath a bench seat at a local high school track field.

Mouthfeel – A slight carbonation was all that was offered to distract the drinker from the horrendous flavor.

Drinkability – I couldn’t possibly get through the entire bottle. I swore I would never “one” a bottle, but this is it. (764 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -29.8%

Ok wife bought some beer for an upcoming BBQ, unfortunatly i spied a case of this stuff..tried one tonight.
12 oz clear glass bottle with painted label with a turtle on it.
The appearance is pretty bad..urine looking..with a rather bubble head..real unattractive.
This beer smelled awful..as soon as i opened the cap..it just stank bad..not appetizing.
taste is weak but i was releaved it was not as abad as the stench this gives off...just the tatse of cheap corn syrup really.
Not too great in the mouth weak and watery at best disturbingly cloying at worst.
not drinkable at all for me down their with its mentor Corona..now how can i persuade the wife to not give this crap out at the BBQ..mmm (703 characters)

2.53/5  rDev +11%

Cerveza Caguama has a thick, fluffy, white head and a clear, bubbly, yellow-golden appearance. There is even some splotchy lacing associated with it. The aroma is of sweet, light malt and grain, and the flavor is almost neutral. One will get very light grain, almost no hops, and water. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Cerveza Caguama finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, dry, and bland. This is a low average, nothing beer.

RJT (431 characters)

2.38/5  rDev +4.4%

Big, clear 32oz. bottle with a small mouth (very annoying pouring it into a glass). I’d expect this beer to 1) have more reviews and 2) be really popular with the macro-swillers. The macro crowd has to be the target audience for Cerveza Caguama, why? First of all, the nose is muted sweet adjuncts, maybe some kind of malt, and really faint metal. The taste is very bland. Not much hops, plenty of grain, and plenty of sweetness (sugar, corn?). But, in reality, it is not offensive but that doesn’t mean I’d want to drink it. It could make a good session beer for “poor/cheap” people (I snagged the 32oz for under $2.00). The beer poured very pale yellow, white head, good retention, very carbonated.

A thirst quenching beer, awfully light, it is not for me… is it for you? (792 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Poured a clear straw color with a white head that fades quickly

S - Is of fruity grainy malt

T - Like the smell not horrible but not too good either

M - This beer has a light body with high carbonation to it

D - This beer is really just ok I think it would have been a lot better if I was drinking it in my pool than as the mystery beer at the beer bar (360 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This shtuff was NASTY! I got it, cause I like turtles and I enjoyed the little story on the bottle. Well, I am glad that it was piss cheap, cause it tasted like piss. Skunky smell +skunky taste + wateriness = I am never getting this stuff again. I have had better from that area, so I am not going back. Sorry mr. turtle, "no soup for you!" (340 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -48.2%

32-ounce clear fatty-style bottle poured into a pokal glass yields a clear pale straw body with a huge snappy white head fed by streamers of active carbonation. The foam settles slowly and leaves a good amount of lacing spattered on the glass. The beer actually looks really good for the style, but unfortunately that's the last right move the brewers made with Cerveza Caguama.

Though a Great Loggerhead Turtle adorns the bottle, the aroma from within is pure skunk. (Well, a skunk kept in a cardboard box and fed stale corn flakes drizzled in bargain-brand dishwashing liquid would probably be a more accurate description, but I'm digressing...)

The taste of the drink is quite sweet, with a clean corniness that I don't hate, but a thin watery body that I do. No bitterness. No crispness. Just sweet with a bit of wet paper bag and sourness.

This beer, at approximately 26 remaining ounces of the 32 original, now holds the dubious distinction of being my most voluminous drainpour to date. Pisswater! Swill! (1,014 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +41.7%

Got this one in a mixed six pack. Will not make that mistake again

A- Yellow/golden piss color. Very clear with a soapy head

S- Smells like macro lager with a bit of skunk

T- Reminds me of corona but lighter. Like corn husk and honey

M- Very light and pretty refreshing

D- Very drinkable. No problem in this department (323 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into pint glass.
Aroma- Has a beer smell that is driven by grass or grain.
Appearance- Looks like Coors Light to me, that is not a compliment.
Taste- Bland with a skunky finish, not good.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation, didn't really notice, trying to get the taste out of my mouth.
Overall- Somewhere between totally forgettable to regrettable, I just can't decide. (416 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -8.8%

I found this brew to be well below average.
Appearance was a light golden hue with a very slight lace. Carbonation is medium, the bubbles huge. The body is a medium/light at best, leaning towards the light.
Aroma was that of the skunk.
The taste was fairly well balanced with an edge to the malt.
Not an exciting addition to my stable of samples...I think I may have dozed off a few times while tasting but the smell woke me back up. (437 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured the lightest pale golden color I've ever seen in a beer, with a foamy one finger head which left some lacing.

Smelled like a skunk in a cornfield.

Tasted very weak, almost hard to discern anything that stood out really. I've had worse tasting beers, but only because they actually had some sort of taste to them whereas this one practically doesn't.

Mouthfeel was awful. This beer was not thin, it was anorexic. I drank some water after drinking some of this brew and the water felt like a milkshake in my mouth compared to this beer. This one goes into my "Worst Mouthfeel of All Time" hall of fame in the #1 spot.

Drinkability? Let's put it this way ... it's a great beer for people who don't like beer. I'm glad someone gave me a can of this because if I'd paid a cent for it I would have felt ripped off. In fact, I feel ripped off anyways. (856 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a light yellow with a frothy white head. Smell is faint grains but not much else. Tastes like carbonated water with a hint of beer, not much to taste. Mouthfeel is very light, kind of smooth. Overall not much to speak of, a hot summer day sippin beer, good with high flavor meals because it acts more as a palette cleanser. Not great, but cheap. (351 characters)

2.69/5  rDev +18%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Straight from the 32 oz bottle. Ice cold.

A: Light. I've taken a leak that was darker than this. No head. Big bubbles from the bottle.

S: Cereal. Corn flakes, rice, there is a subdued hoppiness in there, but it's pretty weak and borderline skuny/green.

T: Eh, not much going on here. Not even enough flavor to be blatantly "bad". Very, very muted. Cereals come through. Very little to no hop bitterness, with more corn on the back end. However, not quite as porridge or Kellogg's as even the BMC bunch. Finsishes mostly dry on the finish, with a bit of the corn sweetness kicking in. Okay, poured a little into a glass. Very, very little taste. Perhaps rice is the dominant adjunct? Dunno. Burps do have the Euro lager aftertaste.

M: Light, bubbly. Seltzer like. Thin in the mouth.

O: Better than the 57, to be honest. Don't let it warm up, as I get the feeling the flavors will probably get a bit nasty. Seriously though, the 32 oz bottle cost be 2 bucks. For the price it's not half bad at all. (1,037 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

This is the worst beer I have ever had. I bought it on a whim because the store had it on sale for like $4 a sixpack. I should have taken that as a warning sign. Its bottled in clear bottles which is also a bad sign but that is common among Latin American beers. I put them on ice and even ice cold it was rancid. Maybe it was the beer had gone bad and maybe that was why it was on sale. But it was so bad that after choking through one and a half. I took the rest and threw them away. Nobody should endure this beer if they don't have to.

Someone below stated it was typical of the style and maybe they had a better batch, but this is in now way shape or form in the league of Modelo Especial or even Dos Equis Lager. I have had some bad beers but this one is THE definition of swill. It tasted of rotten corn and moldy malt. It was thin, and pale in color. Overall $4 was a ripoff! (885 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast