Cerveza Caguama - Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd

awful

Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd visit their website
El Salvador

Light Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2002)
1.9/5  rDev -15.9%

Just by looking at the orangish yellow tint to this beer, you know you are about to drink something nasty. This beer is the epitome of skunky in both smell and taste. It tastes like a day old stale Corona, but even worse. This is an absolute embarrassment to the brewers of this beer. No wonder a 32 oz bottle is only $1.99. I guess this would be well received amongst Mexican hobos.

1.38/5  rDev -38.9%

Not impressed with the pour, color or head. The color is a pale yellow rating a 4 on the SRM Chart. The head was little finger high for about 10 seconds, and I tried hard to get a good head. The first impression is a hint of lime over nothing else. There is little to no taste of anything I can decern, very bland. Water has about the same feeling as this brew. I will avoid this beer unless it would hurt someones feelings if they offered me one. Don't spend your hard earned cash on this one unless you like very light lager.

1.68/5  rDev -25.7%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this huge (946 ml) clear-bottled beer.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is a wonderful mix of skunk spray and corn. The flavor is somehow just as bad if not worse. I get a lot of adjuncts and a lot of skunk. This is one of the skunkiest beers I have tried. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.05/5  rDev +35%

Appearance: Looks near identical to the Caguama Light, so, what the heck, let's just copy/paste that here: Pours out a clear, fairly light yellow body with an airy, dainty-looking, white head.

Smell: Ill-boding nose smelling a bit strong of skunk. I'll watch some Star Trek: TNG while it wafts away. Eventually settles into a meagerly grainy extra pale malt nose with some weak notes of floral-toned hops.

Taste: A sweet taste of cereal grains with a modest backing of corn. Light floral hop character with a thin measure of bitterness. Dry, clean, crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Acceptable, sufficient even! When tasted back-to-back against the Caguama Light, the standard Caguama is a skosh more crisp and a bit less corny, both pluses for lagers in my book.

1.93/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a clear, wan yellow with a white head that quickly dissipates - hardly looks like beer at all. Aroma is a bit fruity and has a strong skunky overtone. Flavor is just strong and just malty enough to pass for beer. Texture is smooth and a little tingly. Nothing to write home about - but I was willing to give El Salvadorian beer a fair shake.

2.15/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured out of a clear bomber fattie into a Duvel tulip. Looks like any other thinned out lager that you might find in the grocery store--pale and fizzy. Smells pretty skunked, musty, something a little off maybe from damage since there is so much light exposure on this stupid bottle design. Taste is blah, mouthfeel is poor and thin. Drinkability is fine.

2.23/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance: Very pale, watery looking. Head was thin, nothing remarkable, dissipated quickly.

Smell: Kind of like a skunk rolling in hay. Not very pleasant, but not so horrible that I couldn't drink it

Taste: Semi-Cold - Just OK. First one was just out of the car after getting it from the store, so not very cold. Taste was a bit off, very malty. Ice Cold - Threw a couple in the icebox for 20 min, had one, and it was a much better taste. The malty taste gave way to some more subtle flavors, a little hoppy, a little roasted corn, still very malty.

Mouthfeel: Non-existent. Hardly tell you are drinking anything at all, my impression of what the mouthfeel of rubbing alcohol would be like.

Drinkability: Overall, not good, not terrible. I could see slamming down a few after mowing on a hot day, but for just sitting around sipping a brew in the sun and enjoying it, this is not the one.

2.23/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Poured a clear straw color with a white head that fades quickly

S - Is of fruity grainy malt

T - Like the smell not horrible but not too good either

M - This beer has a light body with high carbonation to it

D - This beer is really just ok I think it would have been a lot better if I was drinking it in my pool than as the mystery beer at the beer bar

3.25/5  rDev +43.8%

Got this one in a mixed six pack. Will not make that mistake again

A- Yellow/golden piss color. Very clear with a soapy head

S- Smells like macro lager with a bit of skunk

T- Reminds me of corona but lighter. Like corn husk and honey

M- Very light and pretty refreshing

D- Very drinkable. No problem in this department

3.18/5  rDev +40.7%

I've already reviewed the Caguama Special Export, most of what I said about that beer stands with this one...

It has a little more skunky taste & aroma, isn't quite as drinkable as the Special Export. Beer salt and/or a lime compliment any Caguama better than any other beer I've had. I don't care much for the lime so I just do a little beer salt and it is great. It is fairly weak beer, but it goes down easy, very refreshing, and the best bang-for-your buck beer... at $9.99 per 12 pack at Kroger, I'd buy this over a coors/bud/miller/etc. ANY time! While this isn't as drinkable as the special export, i like it MUCH better than Corona.

1.78/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured the lightest pale golden color I've ever seen in a beer, with a foamy one finger head which left some lacing.

Smelled like a skunk in a cornfield.

Tasted very weak, almost hard to discern anything that stood out really. I've had worse tasting beers, but only because they actually had some sort of taste to them whereas this one practically doesn't.

Mouthfeel was awful. This beer was not thin, it was anorexic. I drank some water after drinking some of this brew and the water felt like a milkshake in my mouth compared to this beer. This one goes into my "Worst Mouthfeel of All Time" hall of fame in the #1 spot.

Drinkability? Let's put it this way ... it's a great beer for people who don't like beer. I'm glad someone gave me a can of this because if I'd paid a cent for it I would have felt ripped off. In fact, I feel ripped off anyways.

1.15/5  rDev -49.1%

32-ounce clear fatty-style bottle poured into a pokal glass yields a clear pale straw body with a huge snappy white head fed by streamers of active carbonation. The foam settles slowly and leaves a good amount of lacing spattered on the glass. The beer actually looks really good for the style, but unfortunately that's the last right move the brewers made with Cerveza Caguama.

Though a Great Loggerhead Turtle adorns the bottle, the aroma from within is pure skunk. (Well, a skunk kept in a cardboard box and fed stale corn flakes drizzled in bargain-brand dishwashing liquid would probably be a more accurate description, but I'm digressing...)

The taste of the drink is quite sweet, with a clean corniness that I don't hate, but a thin watery body that I do. No bitterness. No crispness. Just sweet with a bit of wet paper bag and sourness.

This beer, at approximately 26 remaining ounces of the 32 original, now holds the dubious distinction of being my most voluminous drainpour to date. Pisswater! Swill!

2.93/5  rDev +29.6%

My wife grimaces at the stuff I've been drinking lately (high-ABV IPAs, festive winter ales, etc.), so today I decided to be sweet and pick up something for her. She said she likes Corona with a lime, and this colorful loggerhead turtle says he's a lot like Corona. Plus—our new superbly-stocked-with-"specialty"-brews Kroger is pushing it as a "Kroger brand" beer, so it's wicked cheap if you've got a Kroger card.

She really liked the colorful loggerhead turtle on the carton and decided she was willing to try it (after deciding that she couldn't decide on which wine to get). I ended up drinking two when I got home.

Overall, it's a cheap Corona substitute from Central America (El Salvador). Looks like a Corona: clear goldish yellow. Head like a Corona: light, fizzy and gone in seconds. Smells like a Corona: why do all the "south of the border" beers have that skunky smell? Tastes like a Corona, and with lime... maybe it's been too long since I've had a Corona, and I'll probably catch hell for saying this—might even lose beer karma points—but... it might even taste better than a Corona (hey, it tastes better than that miserable Tequiza).

Overall, I'd say it wasn't all that bad. Definitely not the IPAs I'm used to, but its lower alcohol content means it's a real thirst-quencher—and you won't end up stumbling all over the place if you drink a couple while cleaning out the garage... which is always best done with a beer nearby!

2.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Not much here to say except CHEAP. Local Kroger had it on sale for $12.99/30 pack. In the can, there is no clear bottle skunkiness, smell or taste. Decant with a slice of lime and this is decent cheap sub for Corona on hot day. Or hell, just grab a can, slam it down and go get another one.

Caguama Update: My GF bought some Caguama in the bottle yesterday (8/3/06), I had just opened a New Belgium Blue Paddle and was sipping it. Sitting down wind from her about 3 feet I thought I detected a whiff of skunkiness in the air as she popped the cap on a Caguama, I picked it up and sniffed it....yep....skunk. I didn't say anything to her as she was happily drinking the hell out it, if she is happy I am tickled to death. At least she is experimenting with something besides BMC.

1.6/5  rDev -29.2%

I have to say this beer is really probably one of the worst I've ever had... It has no head, an awful smell, and it looks disturbingly similar to horse urine. The clear bottle makes sure that the oddly sweet corn taste has a healthy dose of skunk to go along with it. I would say if you have to have a beer from El Salvador, go with the Pilsener beer from this brewery... it's MUCH MUCH MUCH better!

2.13/5  rDev -5.8%

I found this brew to be well below average.
Appearance was a light golden hue with a very slight lace. Carbonation is medium, the bubbles huge. The body is a medium/light at best, leaning towards the light.
Aroma was that of the skunk.
The taste was fairly well balanced with an edge to the malt.
Not an exciting addition to my stable of samples...I think I may have dozed off a few times while tasting but the smell woke me back up.

Appearance – This was the lightest-colored beer that I have ever seen. It was almost the color of water, except that it had a slight shade of yellow. It was actually lighter than urine.

Smell – This was the stinkiest beer I have ever opened as well. It filled the room with dead skunk. The aroma was absolutely disgusting.

Taste – Oh, God. This was just horrible. Besides the strong skunk flavor, there was a putrid sweetness of sticky candy growing mold underneath a bench seat at a local high school track field.

Mouthfeel – A slight carbonation was all that was offered to distract the drinker from the horrendous flavor.

Drinkability – I couldn’t possibly get through the entire bottle. I swore I would never “one” a bottle, but this is it.

Appears pale golden piss like with a thin highly carbonated head, I suggest a lime or some fruit to do justice to this god awful beer. Aromatics are harsh malts with a tad of sweetness and not really much of anything worth ever trying again. Flavor is just sub Corona in my level one of the worst beers I have ever come across, in my opinion this style of beer has to be the most unpalatable just a harsh unpleasant flavor that needs to be covered up. Clear bottle and thin body plus high carbonation equal nasty beer farts and all the belching you can deliver. Drinkability again well not if this was the last beer on earth, I truly hated this one.

1.65/5  rDev -27%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This shtuff was NASTY! I got it, cause I like turtles and I enjoyed the little story on the bottle. Well, I am glad that it was piss cheap, cause it tasted like piss. Skunky smell +skunky taste + wateriness = I am never getting this stuff again. I have had better from that area, so I am not going back. Sorry mr. turtle, "no soup for you!"

1.65/5  rDev -27%

Ok wife bought some beer for an upcoming BBQ, unfortunatly i spied a case of this stuff..tried one tonight.
12 oz clear glass bottle with painted label with a turtle on it.
The appearance is pretty bad..urine looking..with a rather bubble head..real unattractive.
This beer smelled awful..as soon as i opened the cap..it just stank bad..not appetizing.
taste is weak but i was releaved it was not as abad as the stench this gives off...just the tatse of cheap corn syrup really.
Not too great in the mouth weak and watery at best disturbingly cloying at worst.
not drinkable at all for me down their with its mentor Corona..now how can i persuade the wife to not give this crap out at the BBQ..mmm

2.35/5  rDev +4%

Big, clear 32oz. bottle with a small mouth (very annoying pouring it into a glass). I’d expect this beer to 1) have more reviews and 2) be really popular with the macro-swillers. The macro crowd has to be the target audience for Cerveza Caguama, why? First of all, the nose is muted sweet adjuncts, maybe some kind of malt, and really faint metal. The taste is very bland. Not much hops, plenty of grain, and plenty of sweetness (sugar, corn?). But, in reality, it is not offensive but that doesn’t mean I’d want to drink it. It could make a good session beer for “poor/cheap” people (I snagged the 32oz for under $2.00). The beer poured very pale yellow, white head, good retention, very carbonated.

A thirst quenching beer, awfully light, it is not for me… is it for you?

2.15/5  rDev -4.9%

Cerveza Caguama, The importer is G.K. SKAGGS, INC.

Looks like beer, bubbles like beer and pours like beer and if I use my imagination hard enough it might even taste like beer. This new Cerveza Caguama is the first 3.2% alcohol beer I’ve had since... well, let’s just say since... If there were a category for yellow fizz water, I’d give Cerveza Caguama all fives, but alas, not. Some where, some one (not me) will take Cerveza Caguama home and fall in love with it. Cerveza Caguama is not offensive and has some slight, very slight taste, mostly from the carbonation. The carbonation taste is really not a taste at all, but a sensation of pain, and I’m not into pain. For those you who don’t like the taste of beer, you might actually like this brew.

Light, very light and there is a light version of Cerveza Caguama (unbelievable) that will quench your thirst, as long as that thirst is not for beer.

Cerveza Caguama from Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd