Romulan Ale - Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd

Romulan AleRomulan Ale

poor

Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd visit their website
El Salvador

American Adjunct Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: pezoids on 06-25-2002)
Reviews by freed:
3.05/5  rDev +38%

I heard this turns everything blue. Since its only $1.55, its worth a try. The bottle bears a somewhat lame label. But the gold foil over the cap turns out to be a pretty accurate decoration.

The beer pours a deep, dyed blue with a matching blue head. The foam faded quickly, and my tounge quickly becomes blue as well. The aroma is supremely skunky; folly of a clear bottle.

The taste is like a mediocre pilsner, and is easily equivilent to a becks. The malt is dry, and the hops are crisp. (though skunked). Its not bad, but I'm getting ridiculed by others in the room.

I gave some to my dog, who immediately started chewing on the neck of a yellow lab, leaving blue streaks in her fur. Now that was worth it.

freed, Feb 02, 2004
1.78/5  rDev -19.5%

What a dopey gimmick, a blue beer (reminds me of the food-colored blue beer at Blue Lou's on Pittsburgh's South Side) that stains everything it touches. Anyway, dark BLUE with a BLUE fizzy head that starts at 1/2 an inch but rounds down quickly. Poor laces. Skunky aroma, eggy with vinegar. Vegetal cooked flavors, carrots and parsnips with a Thanksgiving casserole sweetness. Marked fade late, weak hops are close to non-existent. So, if you want to fleece Trekkies, don't brew a decent Ale, just contract a cheap Lager, toss in food coloring, and dub it "Romulan"...

(Voice of the "Soup Nazi")...N-E-X-T !!!

Source: Liquid Solutions

ADR, Sep 28, 2003
1.85/5  rDev -16.3%

Horrible smelling blue beer - yes it's blue, it's a gimmick, and I could not finish much of it. And I had to have it, hopefully not a tribute to EL Salvador's water supply. Ohio International gathering. Yes, the label is in an alien language. Thin and harsh bitter corny taste.

Sammy, Nov 12, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -3.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada Imperial Pint. No visible date or info.

A - This blue-green beer is certainly one-of-a-kind. Its totally clear with a dense pastel cloud blue head. Mediocre retention with rings of lace left over.

S - Very slight wheaty grain aromas poke though a skunky aroma. Incredibly plain. Almost nothing there. Nothing to enter in the Captains log for aroma.

T - Dry grains with an adjuncty rice flavor and a bit of that skunk. Really plain and boring but not off-putting. Just think Bud Light. Well, blue Bud Light. And, well, better than Bud Light too.

M - Sharply carbonated, it's a crisp, light-bodied beer with a mildly dry finish.

D - Set your phasers to "evaporate" so you don't have to drink this one. While I wouldn't consider myself a "Trekkie", I have seen all the films and enjoy them. The concept of a Romulan Ale had me wanting to brew a batch of an intensely strong, rich, blue beer. When I found out there was one in existence, I couldn't believe it but at the same time I knew it had to have happened. Well, here it is and I went in expecting disappointment. It's a poor beer but a well conceived idea. Not had at all to drink considering its basically a BMC clone.

BeerFMAndy, Jan 23, 2010
2.15/5  rDev -2.7%

Well it is as “Blue” as it was described to me by “Scotty”, and “Geez” I hope it doesn’t turn my teeth blue!

The pour a deep sapphire blue (That’s my birthstone), with a modest bright sky blue head that is frothy in its texture with the residue a fine albeit thin bit of lace. Neutral zone nose, sweet and fresh like “Deanna Trois” perfume, start sweet like “Tranya”, the top as thin as the “strings” in the “String Theory”. Finish acidic, but not near as bad as the “Horta”, Hops are as meek as the “Tribbles”, dry as the planet “Vulcan. As a life long “Trekkie”, I had to try it.

Gusler, Nov 25, 2003
1.43/5  rDev -35.3%

Got this bottle in Vegas at the Star Trek experience. Smells like corn and cardboard. I thought the bottle was blue.. but after pouring it turns out that the brew is dark blue in color and the head is sea foam colored. the head leaves quickly. Very unnatural and artificial looking. Wet paper taste with adjunct laden sweetness. Thin on the finish. Not a beer.. just a gimmick. This beer made me blue...

frank4sail, May 07, 2004
3.53/5  rDev +59.7%

This was a remarkable brew... they matched the color perfectly to the Star Trek series.

Visually, it was perfect... aquamarine blue, with a one finger cotton candy blue head. Not much carbonation evident.

Aroma was much like a regular macro lager... the standard muted hop aroma, It wasn't very skunky, only a hint... much less than I would have expected from a clear bottle. Some corn adjuncts were evident, and it was a bit grainy, but not too bad.

Taste was slightly grainy, a little bit of sweet corn evident. It was a little bitter... a bit of hop presence made itself known. Overall, better than most domestic macro lagers I have had.

Mouthfeel was strictly average... not cloyingly sweet, thank goodness, but not watered down either.

Drinkability was OK... I could definitely see doing a few of these during a Star Trek marathon.

Now it's time for some of the green drinks they had on the show.

I got this at the Las Vegas Hilton, in one of the gift shops at the Star Trek Experience, down by Quark's Bar and Restaurant. $4.99 for a single bottle, or $14.99 for a six-pack. It was worth getting a six-pack... I just happened to have a box with styrofoam packing peanuts in my luggage, as I brought some Coca-Cola Blak for someone I was meeting.

connecticutpoet, Oct 09, 2006
3.23/5  rDev +46.2%

Santa (okay well my cousin and her husband actually) got me a 6 pack of this for Christmas, knowing what a big stat trek fan I am. I thought it was a cool gift, at least for the novelty of it. Poured a 12 oz into my pint glass. This beer pours a clear blueish green color. The minty looking/colored head is about 1/3 inch thick when poured before settling to a decent surface coating almost immediately along with a thin ring lining the inside of the glass. Well there certainly was some aroma, I just can't discern what it was, maybe some grainy corn adjuncts along with a bit of malt. Not horribly offensive by any means. Flavor wise it has a sort of sweet, grainy and slightly malty taste with no discernible hops. Nothing great by any means, but certainly less offensive and less crappy than a lot of BMC American macro lagers I have had. Has a crisp, light bodied mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. Easy to drink, but not necessarily in the way well crafted beers are. Not something I'd go out of my way to track down, but as of this writing I still have 5 of these left from the 6 pack and at least I know now that they are decent so I won't mind having to finish them off.

Eric

neenerzig, Jan 15, 2009
2.35/5  rDev +6.3%

Shout out to Jason for bringing this for our 4th of July get together.

A - Does it look like a traditional beer? No. Does it look cool as $*#&? Yes. Am I asking myself easy questions and then answering them to make myself look smarter? Absolutely. This beer is blue. That picture of the beer, that's not blue glass. It's clear glass and that's the color of the beer. A fun, transparent blue color with a white head. Awesome.

S - Corn and adjuct, smells pretty sweet. Reminds me a lot of Brahma which is made in Brazil.

T - Grainy with a dose of corn sweetner and malts. Tastes like an adjuct lager. I'd drink this over the typical BMC offerings, but that doesn't mean it's good.

M - Light bodied, a little sticky, goes down like water.

O - Well, the great color makes it a cool novelty, but the beer itself is not good, just on par for what it is. Recommended if you like blue stuff like the Toronto Blue Jays, "Blue" by Eiffel 65, and the Blue Man Group.

AgentZero, Jul 06, 2011
1.58/5  rDev -28.5%

Well it comes in a clear bottle, wasn't skunked but all this really is is blue colored club soda so I'm pretty sure it can't.

Pours an exotic greenish blue with a puffy large neon blue head.
Looks pretty cool.

Tastes even more watery than american light lagers.

It gave me a blue tongue and blue teeth.

Vague sweetness in my burps.

Just buy it and chug it for laughs, take a picture with it, add it to your bottle cap/bottle collection, just don't try and savor its flavor.

crossovert, Aug 05, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +58.4%

Khazadum, Mar 31, 2012
3.05/5  rDev +38%

The beer pours a F@#king blue color with a thick frothy F@#king blue head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a dry, yet refreshingly light pale malt scent with little hops and some adjuncts to boot. The taste is (do I really have to taste this stuff?) average. It has a pale malt lager flavor that is light and drinkable with a dry lager yeast finish. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a funny concept. I like the blue idea, but the idea of drinking a beer brewed in El Salvador that is brewed with blue dye that is probably outlawed in the USA makes me want to dump the rest down the drain. It's one and done for me.

WesWes, Dec 27, 2004
1.83/5  rDev -17.2%

I saw this at my local store and on looks alone had to give it a try. Poured into a pint glass the beer is... wait for it. Bright blue! With about a half inch of sky blue head. I can't get over the look of this stuff. No lacing at all. The aroma is sort sour with a hint of grain and hops. I want to think that I can smell some sort of berry but it might just be my mind playing tricks on me. The flavor is plain and lifeless. A hint of bitterness but more less any old BMC offering would give you the same thing. Again I swear I taste some hints of sour berries but, I'm sure it's just that damn blue raspberry color messing with me. Light body with a hint of carbonation. Mostly like water with a sour flavor to it. I guess it's drinkable but, why would you want to.

beerwolf77, Aug 20, 2009

Robyn, Jul 28, 2014
2.68/5  rDev +21.3%

I thought this stuff was illegal in this galaxy!
I had this beer at "Quark's bar" at the Las Vegas Hilton last year. I brought home a six pack of these for a few trekkie friends and have a bottle left for myself, but don't want to open it. The beer is bright blue in the bottle and the same for the draft version. I gave it a 5 for appearance of it's novelty value. Beyond that, I would say this beer tastes like a blue Tecate or Pacifico. Head was nice and had a husky corn flavor to it. A so-so beer of little depth, except for the novelty aspect.

pezoids, Aug 10, 2003
1.33/5  rDev -39.8%

Cobalt blue color. Small head. Aroma is grainy and sweet. WTF?? A frelling blue beer? I get the Romulan – Star Trek thing but really a blue beer? I tried just enough of this stuff to rate it because I didn’t wish to go through the next day with blue teeth! A medium bodied lager. Malts are mild and slightly sweet. Hops are slightly spicy. Tastes like your typical South American Lager. Not much flavor and or taste. Well balanced. I also think the blue color, helps the beer from getting skunked. Mouthfeel is a little thin. Finish is clean and crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter

beerguy101, Oct 12, 2003
1.85/5  rDev -16.3%

appearance -- not sure what to say, it is blue and artificially carbonated.

smell -- unfortunately we had a skunked bottle, so we couldn't enjoy the promising blue raspberry notes (hallertau, indigenous english pale ale yeast and Montezuma's revenge?)

taste -- skunked, flat, it's got this absolutely amazing water finish, i've seriously never experienced a beer that finishes tasting exactly like water.

overall -- think that one bottle of Heineken that's been in the window of a desert service station for like 2 years, the label's peeling and yellowed, the cap is a little rusty, but you're partched and somehow it's cold, blue-ice cold in fact. actually think atomic arctic skunk.

redeeming qualities = amazing azure color, totally awesome! (jump on it dogfish! add some iris flowers to aprihop sometime!) and tight bitters on the side of the tongue

midnite2sixman, Mar 18, 2009
1.88/5  rDev -14.9%

12oz bottle courtesy of connecticutpoet poured into a pint glass.

Well, clearly the appearance is the most interesting/bizarre part of this beer. It's a bright, clear pale blue with a quite foamy baby blue head that recedes to a big collar with some stray bubbles floating to the top.

The aroma is fairly skunky with a lot of typical poor lager smells - overcooked vegetables, corn, maybe some sweet malts. I swear I get some light raspberries or blueberries or something in the aroma - I could be making it up.

The taste is unpleasant at best. It's all skunky vegetables, corn, maybe some malts but not much. No fruit in the taste, just cardboard and a nasty bitterness the lingers after each sip.

The mouthfeel is too sugary but also bitter which is not a great combination. Nonetheless, this is one of the most interesting beers I've had in a while if only because of it's crazy blue appearance.

gford217, Jan 16, 2010

Two-6, Apr 15, 2014
2.6/5  rDev +17.6%

Review #1600. Thanks to Jason for this gem. We probably should have saved it for the premiere of Boobs of Khan at the nearby burlesque. Served in a Russian River tulip.

A - Well - I've never seen a beer like this one. A large blue-tinged foam quickly settles to a thin ring, leaving minimal lace. Transparent blue body.

S - Smells like your typical adjunct lager. Fruity notes, corn, sweet toasted grains - a bit cloying but never skunky or garbage-laden which is a positive.

T - Again, it's a pretty typical take on the style. Bland toasted grains, sugar, some corn and other nebulous vegetable notes.

M - Surprisingly low carbonation, medium body, smooth texture, and no alcohol. Actually quite pleasant and easy to chug.

D - Not awful, just boring. Smell is a little more off-putting than the taste, but there are far worse examples of this style. The color is awesome though, and the geek appeal is out of this world.

MasterSki, Jul 06, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -7.2%

The color of Romulan Ale is probably the best thing it has going for it. Being a fan of the color blue, it is an immediate eye-catcher.

Upon cracking it open, you are greeted with a mildly skunky aroma that I've found typical of mass-produced lagars and some Latin American beers. The smell doesn't hide anything you might not discover until tasting. What you smell is what you get. As mentioned in previous reviews, there is a definite corn sweetness overall with the standard macro hop taste. It is actually not too bitter, but the taste after the initial contact with the mouth just kind of goes flat, leaving only a mild sugary feeling that seems to coat your entire mouth. I'm not a huge fan of that, so it loses qutie a few points for that.

Overall, this is a novelty. I'd probably get another bottle just for the visual aspect, but I think I'll pass the next time it's offered as a drink.

AncientFlounder, Jun 25, 2007

emdawg, Jan 01, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -7.2%

This bottle came from my friend who got it from his dad who got it from someone in vegas. Not sure what happened to it before it got to me or if anything happened to it. But what I do know is that this is pretty cheap unimpressive beer.

The beer looked cool and had some interesting artwork. I'm not much of an old star trek fan so I can't comment on the label too much. The bright blue color of the beer was interesting but I am assuming that its just food coloring.

Upon opening the bottle I was greeted a moderatly strong skunk aroma and thats about it. The taste wasn't too bad but there was very little flavor at all. I got half way through the bottle before I could taste anything at all. The taste was kinda sweet and very thin and fizzy. It had more of a soda texture to it. The upside is that since it didn't taste like anything, it was drinkable.

The short version is that it looks cool, smells nasty, tastes like nothing, and is chuggable.

t0rin0, Jan 15, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -20.8%

If you see this beer -- or, worse, someone offers you a taste -- run, don't walk. Brewed for a United States Star Trek event, it none-the-less hails from El Salvador. As I seriously doubt that there is a high concentration of El Salvadoran Trekkers, I can only assume that the planet was searched for a cheap brewery that didn't mind having its equipment permanently stained blue. Yes, blue -- as in the color of the beer and anything it happens to touch; including my mouth, my nonick glass, and -- most disturbing of all -- everything that came out of my body's various openings for the next 48 hours! The fact that it tasted like a bad Budweiser homebrew clone did not help its appeal, either. Trust me on this one, folks.

jtfest, Dec 30, 2003
2.13/5  rDev -3.6%

The color is the best and worst thing about this beer. It is definitely eye-catching. Unfortunately it is just as eye-catching on your teeth and tongue. Also leaves a film in your mouth. Probably worth a try as a novelty or if you are a Star Trek fan, but I can do without.

Dogbrick, Jun 25, 2002