2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Achel Trappist Extra - Brouwerij der St. Benedictusabdij de Achelse

Achel Trappist ExtraAchel Trappist Extra

Brouwerij der St. Benedictusabdij de Achelse visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: dsa7783 on 01-22-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 357 | Reviews: 201 | Show All Ratings:
DrewShal9

3.78/5  rDev -11.9%

A: hazy, golden with a white head that remains laced on the sides as the beer is drunk or stays if you don't haha
S: very fragrant, fruity, floral
T: sweet initially with tropical fruits of pineapple and guava maybe some mango that turns slightly bitter and drying at the end
M: moderately carbonated with a milky body. Dries like a champagne
O: not bad but not great either. Will return to see if it's different on a fresh palate as I had a few other brews before tasting this one.

08-03-2011 02:48:25 | More by DrewShal9
chefscott79

3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

Well I was super excited to buy this because I liked their blond so much.
I was not disappointed but not super stoked on it

Appearance:dark brown with a nice head...not as carbonated as some Trappist ales that I have had recently

smell:great malt smell and as it warmed more notes of dark stone fruits

taste:it seemed a bit mellow and I did not get allot of fruit notes as much as I did on the aroma...mostly just dark malt flavors(while good) it did not wow me...also did not have a bunch of estery quality's which I was expecting

mouth feel:creamy and easy to drink

drinkablity: super easy to drink a bit too easy maybe...considering the alcohol content

10-18-2007 21:30:09 | More by chefscott79
TurdFurgison

3.68/5  rDev -14.2%

Had this from a 750mL bottle. Tasted sweet but highly alcoholic, not nearly as good as I'd hoped for a high-end Trappist.

I'd been waiting to sample this for a while, but was disappointed once I tried it. Kind of run-of-the-mill for a Belgian Strong Ale. Just OK. the flavor was good but not outstanding or anything.

I guess I can't recommend it strongly. Go to other Trappist beers first.

12-04-2005 07:46:58 | More by TurdFurgison
LilBeerDoctor

3.68/5  rDev -14.2%

Reviewed on 9/12/08. Bottle. Pours a dark brown with lots of floating yeast particles and a small light tan head. Aroma of sweet fruit, sugar, and slcohol. Flavor is quite fruity (apple, pear, and lots of cherries!), with some Belgian yeast, and slight alcohol presence. Yum! The cherry presence gets a little medicinal by the end, but this is a tasty, quite fruity, sweet beer. An interesting quad.
8/4/7/4/15 (3.8/5)

12-26-2008 17:20:55 | More by LilBeerDoctor
Chrysostom

3.68/5  rDev -14.2%

As always, I review live, not from notes, puzzling out the libation brewed in houses of salvation. As always, I review to style (ala BJCP), modified by personal taste (contra BJCP), not solely to personal taste, which would be unfair to many great examples of styles that I don't personally favour.

My second beer from Achel (my first was a Bruin 8º), and my first had from a 750mL, or when I was even halfway sober.

(Note, that since my words below to most people won't seem to match up with my numbers on first sight, that I can not stand Rochefort. I'd drink Budweiser first. This has some of those similar spiced flavours, but to a lesser degree, so I can drink this, even if I wouldn't particularly want to.)

Without further ado, a review.

Presentation: 750mL crown-capped bottle, $17.99. Served around 45º and warming as I write. They should at least put a cork on it for $18, nearly twice the price of most other Trappists. The crown cap is somewhat difficult to remove, requiring attack with a beer key from several directions. Although I hear it's kind of rare, so I should be thankful for getting half a case. Poured in to a Chimay chalice/goblet.

A: Clear brown coming out of the bottle, somewhat hazy reddish-brown in the glass with red highlights. Poured gently, as with all Trappists, to avoid getting too many lees in the glass: on said gentle pour, one finger of head is produced, which recedes at a moderate rate (over about two to three minutes) to a cap on the face of the beer, leaving a sheet of lace down the side of the glass.

S: Spice that is very similar to Rochefort (it's nearly impossible to describe except by experience), alcohol, and bready malt. There's some yeast in there too. Doesn't sound incredibly complex, but that spice - whatever it's from, spicing or yeast - complexifies it nicely. None of the characteristic Belgian funk, but the Belgian spice, as mentioned, characteristic of Rochefort. No alcohol. No dark fruit.

T: Rochefort spice comes through loud and clear, and first. Some moderate sweetness, a little funk, and some sweet dark-bread flavours follow. Orange peel, coriander, cinnamon, and nutmeg are components of the spice. Spicing is not overwhelming like Rochefort - Rochefort has so much spice the beer is disgusting and undrinkable. Not my preferred kind of Quad/BSDA, and a demerit for the style (I rate Rochefort similarly lowly, and Chimay and St Bernardus Abbot 12 highly). It gets noticeably better and less spicy (in the bad meaning of "spiciness" as is characteristic of Satan's concoctions such as Rochefort) as it warms, bringing the beer from a 2.75 or 3 to a 3.75. Not extraordinarily complex, especially for a Trappist - the (illegitimate) spicing predominates.

M: Rich and creamy, fading to a somewhat nutty astringency on the finish. Highlight.

D: Moderate middle of "low".

O: Drop the spicing and clone Chimay or St Bernardus Abbot 12, or even Achel 8º Bruin. Not a bad beer, but not great, and disappointing for the price, rarity, expectation, and Trappist moniker.

To style (16E): 90/100 (spicing is allowed, according to BJCP)
To taste: 67/100 (spicing is not allowed, according to my palate).

03-28-2013 11:15:04 | More by Chrysostom
tectactoe

3.64/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Brewed in 2001, enjoyed in 2013 - very nearly 12 years old at this point... Thanks for the relic, Jeff! The dingy and murky copper body comes as no surprise, and neither does the somewhat poor head formation... A fizzy, beige collar manages to work its way atop the rustic brew, settling softly where the beers meets the glass at the top.

Seemingly sweet aroma with a cornucopia of dark fruits; I'm getting massive notes of red grapes, raisins, prunes, plums, and even a little bit of cherry skin and tannin. Fruity and malty with a touch of residual sweetness in the form of Belgian Candi sugar. Little bit of caramel, too, and despite the extended aging period, there isn't really any detectable oxidation on in the nose... impressive!

The taste is very similar, following the nose quite closely with an introduction of plums and prunes abound. It's decadently sweet, again, with a little bit of Candi sugar in there, as well as a hint of caramel and toffee, too. Though oxidation escaped the aroma, it's present in the palate, but it isn't too much of a heartbreaker. It brings forth a mild sherry note, along with the slightest bit of that unwanted, wet cardboard.

A good bit of finishing malt sweetness, along with a hefty bit of vinous-like characteristics, mainly grape skins that are heavily akin to a fine wine. The oxidation was only a mild hindrance, but luckily gets beaten out in the finish by the other elements of the brew. Creamy, medium bodied, and relatively low carbonation, but still not bad given the age of the beer.

Overall, I was really impressed by how this trappist ale held up against 12 years of sitting in a bottle. It's just that... well, I've had better trappist ales. This beer would certainly be more appreciated by wine lovers, though I still found it to be quite tasty; something about it just wasn't exactly my cup of tea. Still nice, especially considering the age... Just a few steps out of my wheelhouse.

09-22-2013 18:46:38 | More by tectactoe
Sephiroth

Indiana

3.63/5  rDev -15.4%

Bottle says to drink before June of 2007. Pours with decent head, body is reddish brown. Some lacing. Smells quite vinous and malty.

Tastes like a dark tripel. Dark fruits, and grainy malt. Individual flavors are tough to pin down. Bready, and fruity. Mouthfeel is average, Drinkability OK. Other than Westy, this seems to be the rarest of the trappists. It is better than Chimay, but I am slightly disappointed. This is a good beer, its just not one of my favorites. Since I've not had this before, I cannot be sure, but I think a fresher sample would be better.

12-14-2005 10:17:28 | More by Sephiroth
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.63/5  rDev -15.4%

Gusher! Pours chestnut with a finger of tan head & lacing

S: Brown sugar, apples, pears & light booze

T: Brown sugar, green apples. Leafy hops & a bit of tartness up front. Orchard fruit, spicy yeast, and oaky notes. Finishes with leafy hops & figs

MF: Soft carbonation & medium bodied

Drank okay but just not complex or malty enough to make me think paying $17 for this bottle was a smart move

11-11-2008 17:40:52 | More by russpowell
sprucetip

Alaska

3.58/5  rDev -16.6%

Bottle poured into a goblet.

Dark amber to light brown, decent tan head stays for a little while, a little bit of lacing. Hazy when held to light, with some yeast chunks visible.

Smells of sweet malt and fruit, mostly. Perhaps dark fruits like raisins or prunes. Some spiciness, and some alcohol warming at the finish.

Taste is dominated by malty sweetness from the beginning right through the finish. But the complexity of the fruit flavors and spiciness, and maybe raisin inspired bitterness, try to balance it through the middle but don't quite get there.

Full and thick feel in the mouth, with strong carbonation and alcohol warming.

It's going down reasonably well, but the sweetness makes this beer one to share or sip.

Overall a good beer, but based on its grandiose repuatation, I am a little bit underwhelmed.

05-20-2008 04:03:38 | More by sprucetip
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev -17.2%

Dark brown, reddish hints. Good-sized sticky off-white head. Very malty aroma, good yeast dose. Very fruity (dates, grapes), but also has various other malty tones (chocolate, caramel). Gentle alcohol vapors. Rather acidic taste in a yeasty-fruity kind of way. More dates and green grapes. Achel yeast doesn’t provide any dryness. Sweet and closing to licorice at times. Honeyish, herbal. Mostly malty from the beginning until the end. Finish could use some punch. Highly carbonated, medium bodied. It’s just not very exciting and feels like it has been done already.

09-27-2004 15:09:45 | More by Rastacouere
pkalix

3.55/5  rDev -17.2%

super creamy-looking khaki-colored head; almost Guinness-like film when tilted to the side... one very beautiful pour, indeed!
interesting, lager-like smell, if it were mixed with a nut brown, maybe? and some candi stuff.
rich on the tongue, as first tasted. kind of syrup-y with some light amounts of darker fruit, Belgian-type sugar-y stuff. taste is less impressive than the smell, which is WAY less impressive than that beautiful pour... the bitterness is fighting the sweetness, and the sweet maltiness wins at first, but then gives way to a nasty bitter.
overall, maybe it's me and maybe i'm just not ready the rich Belgians yet. but I know compared to the Belgians I love that this one ranks kind of poorly. as mentioned by nearly ALL other reviewers, this one aint worth the price I paid for it. not anywhere close. i'm not sure i'd prefer to drink 10 budweisers before this one, but it isn't satisfying me much. I was, however, very impressed with that super-weight bottle it comes in. that thing is durable!
I honestly don't know why the taste went so far south compared to the smell. I really liked the smell. it just seemed bitter; and as a few others mentioned, the SPICE was horrible.

10-24-2013 23:16:11 | More by pkalix
DARIVA

Netherlands

3.53/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Perfect amber beer with a beautiful head.

S: The smells are not really recognizable, something sweet.

T: The taste is slightly sweet beer.

M: Delicious carbonation and a good foam feeling.

O: Not easily drinkable, beer with a bitter aftertaste.

04-25-2012 11:05:09 | More by DARIVA
xylophonica

Australia

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from a 75cl bottle into a chalice.

A - Dark ruby-brown colour. Minimal head.

S - Slight nutty & caramel aromas.

T - Sweet cacao flavours with a hint of nuts. Actually quite sweet, but with a fairly typical smooth bruin taste.

M - Sweet on the palate.

D - Pleasant to drink without being overly mindblowing.

I'd only ever had Achel once before and it was the blonde. This bruin was ok but really kinda average given the high standard I expect of Trappist ales.

09-30-2010 11:33:50 | More by xylophonica
kojevergas

3.48/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

75cl green glass (ugh..) bottle with standard unbranded pry-off pressure cap acquired at Argonaut Liquor in Denver, CO and served into an Orval goblet in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are sky high given this is a trappist beer. Imported by the Shelton Bastards. Best before: December 15th 2012. Oops. 9.5% ABV confirmed. No style is specified on the label, but it is referred to as an ale and the ABV is high so I'm reviewing it as a Belgian strong dark ale.

Served chilled after a period of rest following its removal from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger wide head of khaki-white colour. Lightly creamy and thick. Head retention is pretty subpar - it lasts 30 seconds at best. Little lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head recedes, and even less stays in place.

Body colour is a vibrant dark amber brown. Translucent but nontransparent. No floating yeast particles/sediment is visible; it's pretty clean for a Belgian strong dark ale.

Overall, it's an appealing appearance for the style and I'm looking forward to trying it. It's gorgeous when backlit and viewed from the underside of the goblet. I do wish the head was better.

Sm: Lovely residual sugars blend marvelously with heavy bready malt character. Caramel and breadcrust complement each other nicely. Cream. A kiss of some sort of dark fruit - fig, I think. Belgian biscuit malts. As it warms, I pick up some prune on the backend, accompanied by a hearty fruity sweetness.

I don't detect any Belgian yeast alcohol, or hop character. It's a good aroma for a Belgian strong dark ale and I'm looking forward to trying the beer. The fruity notes are a highlight. Mild to moderate in strength.

T: Creamy up front, giving way to a bready malt foundation with some biscuit malts and brown malts in there too. The dark fruit is nice, with notes of caramel-covered fruit, figs, dates, prunes, plum, and raisins - though the raisin is a bit too heavy for my tastes. Unfortunately, I do notice some faint cardboard/stale malt character which brings the beer down. I get some biscuity yeast character as well - in addition to identifiable Belgian characteristics I lack the capacity to adequately describe; I know it's a Belgian beer just from the flavours, but I can't quite identify why - maybe it's spice? Clove/nutmeg? I also pick up some toffee. Hints of cola, maybe some sassafras. Light traces of green apple. Maybe some light candi sugar.

It's certainly more on the sweet side, but I'd call it rather balanced - albeit simple. The complexity and subtlety of a great Belgian strong dark ale isn't present here, and I wouldn't call it nuanced or intricate. The build - while very cohesive - is a bit shy of gestalt. Above average depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour.

No alcohol or hop character comes through.

In fairness, as it warms, it does open up a bit. The fruit definitely feels more integrated.

Mf: Sticky and chewy. Has a nice unexpected creaminess. A bit too coarse and dry for the flavour profile, which prevents the texture from feeling custom-tailored to the taste. Still, the mouthfeel suits the flavour profile in a general sense. Well-carbonated. Has an okay presence on the palate, but it's a bit chalky. Nice body. It's a bit too thick. It's certainly a filling beer, but isn't quite the meal in glass you might expect given the style. It doesn't have too much weight on the palate.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

Overall, the texture needs work. This is the most problematic aspect of the beer.

Dr: A pretty drinkable Belgian strong dark ale, but it isn't up to par with my expectations for a Trappist offering. I'm confident Achel can do better. I was ready to love this, but the execution is a bit lacking. While it can't compete with classics like Chimay Blue, this is a Belgian strong dark ale well worth trying and I'm happy to support the Trappist cats over at Achel. I'm also reticent to be too critical seeing as I accidentally nabbed a bottle that's a year past its best before date. I'll plan on revisiting this when I make it out to Achel's public cafe.

High B-

12-28-2013 05:22:08 | More by kojevergas
RenoZymurgist

Nevada

3.45/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured an opaque dark brown color with a tan head that had small bubbles. The head was fairly sticky.
The aroma began with a dry spicy character that had a touch of an alcoholic warmth in the finish.
The Flavor began with a sweet malt flavor that dominated the profile blending in with the spiciness but taking over in the finish. This is one of the sweeter examples of the style that i have tried yet it is still drinkable. The finish is clean and the spicyness lingers a bit leaving a fruity taste on the tongue.
Average drinkabiliy due to the sweetness this is nonetheless an excellent Trappist ale.

02-06-2008 05:37:07 | More by RenoZymurgist
Brunite

3.4/5  rDev -20.7%

Appearance: A rich dark mahogany color. The largest head I have ever had with a beer. My tulip glass filled and I had enough to fill a second.

Smell: Most some syrupy dark cherry smell. Pretty one dimensional for me.

Taste: Same thing. Dark sour cherry. Maybe some unsweetened dark fruits. Not mind blowing.

Mothfeel: Medium body...carbonation stays in check.

Drinkability: Good but not great. Not my favorite Trappist.

03-06-2011 21:17:34 | More by Brunite
BrewMaster

3.33/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Poured from the capped bottle to a 25 oz crystal sniffer glass. The color is a clear muted red with brownish hues. The carbonation is even and smooth throughout the glass. The off-white head is rich and sticky and about 2 cm thick. Very nice retention and when it does thin out just a tiny bit of swirling revives the head to full force. Nice creaminess and lacing.

Smell: Vinous, malty, toffee, burnt sugar, crushed figs and raisins, tart fruit flesh, and a bit of floral and toasty malt. The nose on this is potent.

Taste: The flavor on this beer is quite turbulent. The sweetness dominates this beer in an uncomfortable way. It's insanely sweet to the point of cloying. Caramel and more crushed fruits. Figs and truffles with some fresh grass and a phenolic character all show up. But in this bare-knuckles ass kicking contest, the syrupy sweetness is the one with the lead pipe. All of the other flavors bow down to the syrupy sweetness before they are slaughtered. It's a gruesome affair. There is no hop contribution or bitterness in the flavor. The malt flavors are light and toasty but nearly non-existant. Alcohol wamrth finishes the beer. The flavor is good but very unbalanced.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and thick, medium to full bodied with a sandy and syrupy ending.

Drinkability: Good but too damn sweet. I can't drink this anymore. Everything is overpowered by that fruity sweetness. It ends up being an over the top, overdone, big bottle of sweetness without much enjoyable depth.

08-02-2005 15:16:51 | More by BrewMaster
nick76

3.28/5  rDev -23.5%

The aroma has cola, alcohol, caramel malt, flowers, and a little yeast. The appearance is light brown with a large foamy head. The flavor is sweet and astringent with all the elements from the aroma plus wood. The palate is really thin. As a quad this is not all that it should be. It's thin and unusual. This is one of those beer that's sweet and full bodied but not great.

11-11-2008 06:16:09 | More by nick76
SFLpunk

Vermont

3.1/5  rDev -27.7%

Purchased at Bruisin' Ales, Asheville, NC. $16.50. 750mL green glass capped champagne bottle. Side label says Best Before End 16 M(arch) 12. Opened at 57 degrees (my cellar temp).

Pours a crackly thin medium reddish brown with lighting fast tan head. Nose immediately smells like skunky Euro hops (green glass!) but it blows off a little. Very perfumed smelling with some candied fruit notes and a lot of wild flowers/lily notes. Some pale caramel aromas sneak through.

Palate is very light and surprisingly crisp. Very low carbonation, almost none really. Some thin caramel notes, a sugary candy-like sweetness, something like orchids, and there's definitely some pilsner malt in there. Hops are flowery and not bitter at all.

Notes: Not impressed with my first Achel experience. I was expecting this to be a lot bigger in body and mouthfeel, but found it to be rather thin and watery/flabby. Like the second runnings of something like Cuvee van de Keizer Blauw. It's sweet without the usual malt-body to justify the residual sugar level and the lack of carbonation is concerning. Tastes rather like sweet tea. Bad bottle?

12-01-2010 04:10:09 | More by SFLpunk
brystmar

2.83/5  rDev -34%

Sat on this bottle for about a year. Best before 3/16/2012.

Dirty brown body, thin tan head & lace with big bubbles. Ugly, to be honest.

Aroma is super sweet & bready, which is offsetting to my senses. Aged hops and Belgian candi sugar join the above in the flavor. Figs, plums, other dark fruits. Again, way too sweet for my liking.

Pretty sure my distaste for this brew isn't due to the extra time on the bottle -- minimally attributable, at most. Lacks the depth, spice, and overall complexity of its Trappist siblings.

09-03-2012 19:51:51 | More by brystmar
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

2.15/5  rDev -49.9%

btw, this was a blind taste test

geez, i hope i reviewing the right beer, my bottle has the same label as the smaller stuff, but the specs match with this one. the 9.5% ABV and such. this IS the Extra, so i think it is, anyway...

A - a dark black that reveals a hazy brown when held up to the light, with 1 1/2 finger of tan rocky head, after a few swirls, a banana aroma is released

S - a hoppy nutty aroma, sweet like darker fruits, maybe rasins

T - these dark fruit characteristics are maintained in the flavor as well, as is the nuttiness, not to fond of this, too bitter for me, and the sweetness is not balanced well and too dark

M - eh, im not impressed, too dar sweet and bitter, not well balanced

D - low, i couldnt finish it very easily, wasnt too fond of it. quality brew, with decent flavor, but the balance didnt agree with me

04-20-2006 01:27:29 | More by sinstaineddemon