Achel Trappist Extra - Brouwerij der St. Benedictusabdij de Achelse

Achel Trappist ExtraAchel Trappist Extra

Brouwerij der St. Benedictusabdij de Achelse visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: dsa7783 on 01-22-2008)
4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

Pour: 750ml to tulip. Comes out with a huge 3.5 finger head, even w/ a slow pour. Head is tan over a cloudy chestnut bodied brew with lots of carbonation visible throughout. The fluffy head is comprised of large bubbles and descends slowly, sticking all over the glass and leaving strong lacings. If only it didn't take so long to get a full glass of beer from this bottle!

Nose: Floral, orange, citric, tart, caramel, buttery acetyl, clove, anise. This aroma is all encompassing and very inviting.

Mouth: Very strong alcohol taste is the first thing I notice. What follows is butter and fresh biscuits. Up front the beer has a nice prickly feel to it but in the back it gets a bit too foamy. The swallow and finish leave a slightly metallic note and a doughy flavor coating the mouth. The spicy, warming exhale tingles all the way up to my ears and carries a chili pepper taste. Pretty tasty and enjoyable beer, though the alcohol is completely blatant and the hops play almost no part in the experience.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Hazy, reddish-brown in hue with the slightest bit of purple-copper highlight; nice! Creamy foam, a thick mass of bubbles created two fingers of head. I had to short pour my chalice as the head was so ample. Head retention was great; the bubbles slowly faded to a small but thick cap. It looks like freaking concrete. Awesome head related qualities! There was loads of subsequent lacing, not quite tattered wallpaper but impressive nevertheless. So in sum, this is a great looking beer! Dare I say… perfect? I do.

I’ve had this beer before and was so impressed with it. As I sit here and smell this example the nose just is not popping in malty richness. Red wine notes with an almost sour maltiness following, vaguely fruity… weak hints of alcohol, caramel, and chocolate. It took a few moments of deep sniffing before I could unlock any rich maltiness and still it was very faint. Moderate potency, somewhat chatty but it is not what I remember. The last time I had this was at a Trappist beer tasting, I thought it was right behind Rochefort 10 as the best of the night (there was no Westy beers… BTW, Westy 8 is better than 12). Based on this sample, it is nowhere near that good. Better than Chimay Red or Blue but what isn’t. Zing! Anyway, I’m finding this somewhat simple but it is inviting.

The palate is pretty damn awesome. Again, I don’t find it nearly as deep or rich as before and I don’t taste the chocolate as well nor is the raisins, plums, or apples are noticeable. The bottle I have was purchased from the same beer tasting where it impressed me so. Odd. Maybe I just tried this after drinking a Chimay or something. Zing! Okay, back to reality… the palate is very good (really good!) as there are plenty of alcohol infused fruit notes with molasses hints, brown sugar notes, and spiced rum cookies at the back. Yummy. Ticklish sweetness at the finish and it lingers into the aftertaste with hints of cherries. Fairly warm aftertaste… calm but lively, I am really impressed at how the beer revs up for the finish and cools so nicely for the aftertaste. The flavor profile has really grown on me; it starts slow but finishes strong. What a great freaking beer!

Slightly fuller then medium in body, very creamy and smooth carbonation creates a beer that is silky smooth on the tongue. I absolutely adore the mouthfeel, for a beer this big and this complex the mouthfeel is stunning.

Aside from the nose this beer has pretty much delivered from what I recall. I think this beer is absolutely great and kind of overlooked. But what do I know. There are so many great beers that get little play on BA while a handful of others get mentioned to the point of nausea. Back to the point… this beer is very drinkable, dangerously so. At this point in the review I’d like to suggest some clever food pairing, well, not today. I am tired and this beer has soaked my brain. All I can say is what a great night cap! I am happy to say I purchased this beer in Omaha! I can’t wait until I can buy it somewhat regularly. I am deeply impressed.

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a frothy off-white head over a deep garnet tinted mahogany body. Head recedes leaving a few sheets of lace. Aromas of sweet vinous fruit, plumbs and cherries mixed with traces of earth. Taste is light sweet chocolate upfront, quickly giving way to a more complex mixture of tart cherries, raspberries and caramel. A subdued hop spiciness adds some zing. Quite smooth and sweet, yet fairly light bodied. Moderate carbonation. A lingering sweetness.

A sweet and complex ale. The light body is a bit misleading as the well-hidden ABV is a respectable 9.5%. There is also just enough of a hop bitterness/spiciness to balance out the sweet malt flavors and make this a great sipping ale.

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Extraordinary appearance with a cloudy tea brown body and a rocky beige head; great retention and lacing

Smell: Fermenting figs and Concord grapes; toffee, brown sugar and alcohol

Taste: Starts with a sweet brown sugar and fig aspect that, after the swallow, is joined by some spiciness and chocolate flavors; rather yeasty as well

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied but slightly thick; boisterous carbonation throughout; plenty of warmth on the finish

Drinkability: Very interesting beer, but a lot to consume when packaged in a 750ml bottle

The monk's need to hire someone with a better sense of marketing. By changing the label so that it is virtually indistinguishable from the Achel 8%, they have done themselves no favors. The Extra comes only in a 750ml bottle and the 8% comes only in the 12 oz. bottle. Other than that, the labels are way to similar. If Jason at Knightly Spirits in Orlando hadn't explained it to me, I would have presumed that the two beers were one and the same.

2.15/5  rDev -49.9%

btw, this was a blind taste test

geez, i hope i reviewing the right beer, my bottle has the same label as the smaller stuff, but the specs match with this one. the 9.5% ABV and such. this IS the Extra, so i think it is, anyway...

A - a dark black that reveals a hazy brown when held up to the light, with 1 1/2 finger of tan rocky head, after a few swirls, a banana aroma is released

S - a hoppy nutty aroma, sweet like darker fruits, maybe rasins

T - these dark fruit characteristics are maintained in the flavor as well, as is the nuttiness, not to fond of this, too bitter for me, and the sweetness is not balanced well and too dark

M - eh, im not impressed, too dar sweet and bitter, not well balanced

D - low, i couldnt finish it very easily, wasnt too fond of it. quality brew, with decent flavor, but the balance didnt agree with me

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a little lighter than other dark Belgian ales...nice 2 finger sticky head with good retention.

The dominant aroma is of grape fruit juice...seriously. Bread, apples plums, and raisins are other scents I could pick up on.

The taste starts sweet, some spices (nutmeg, allspice), the fruit taste gives way to a chocolately flavor...very interesting yeasty bread-like aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is bit over carbonated but otherwise nice. Chewy, full bodied, sticks to the palate.

Like most other beers of this style, this definitely isn't a session beer. There's a fine line here on letting it warm up to get more flavos out of it and letting it get too warm to where the alcohol takes over...not in an annoying way, just enough to mask the other flavors. Overall, a good beer but there's some others I'd prefer in this style.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into a Westmalle chalice (okay, it's close enough) from a green-tinted 750ml bottle, capped. Bottle label looks different than is pictured here. Looks more like the standard Achel 8 label ... but is definitely the 'Extra' at 9.5% abv. Anyway, this one extracts from the bottle as a warm, dark brown with ruby highlights. A thick cocoa tan head appears and likes to stick around. To look at this beer, you know there's a lot going on here. Nose is glorious ... yeast, sweet malts, stewed fruits, and a hint of spice ... okay, quite smelling and start drinking, right.Palate is sweet ... sweeter than the Brune ... very malty and warm. Tastes of Belgian yeast, plums, mollases, and alcohol. Very dark, very sweet, and assertive taste. This beer is a heavyweight ... in taste more than body. This is akin to the Brune in a lot of ways, but stronger and much more assertive. I really enjoy the sheer "power" of this 'Extra' over the other Achel offerings. You know you're drinking something substantial here for sure. Wow ... I still have a half of a 750 ml bottle left. A bit too much for one sitting, perhaps, especially on an empty stomach. Bet it'll still be excellent tomorrow ... "Authentic Trappist" ... this one is worthy to be tried along with the others, though older.

4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

750 ml bottle

A - Color is dark brown with a reddish copper color under light. Medium creamy head with plenty of lacing. Lots of sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

S - Aroma is sweetly malty and floral. As I let the beer warm it produced a grape aroma that was not present when it was cold. Also as it warmed the aroma became more woodsy and rich almost like sassafras.

T - Tastes sweet with good alcoholic warmth. It has the yeasty flavor of fresh baked bread. Middle is caramel and toffee with a slightly astringent alcohol bite. As the beer warms beyond 50 degrees, there is a flavor like tea. Definitely better when it is in the 45 – 50 degree range.

M - Lightly carbonated as you would expect for a high alcohol brew. When I first opened the bottle and it was colder, there was more carbonation. Thick, viscous feeling in the mouth.

D - Great beer. Beer like this really makes me want to travel to Belgium. This a great sipping beer. I could drink this all night.

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

Dark brown, with a lacy, thin halo of an off-white head. Not much to look at, but the aroma intrigues. Woody and slightly sour in character, the scent becomes juicier, fruitier as it sits. Candi sugar sweetness starts the sip, soon harnassed by a woody character that runs throughout. As the beer warms, this malt develops more figgy, and even grapey character. A gentle, cinnamon spice lends character to a cocoa-like malt body. Somewhat peppery in the finish where the spice kicks in, but the alcohol is overall quite unobtrusive. Mouthfeel is a bit tangy, but fairly full and coating in spite of this. Quite a lovely brew!

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

Best by date of April 2008, Sampled January 2006
This beer sits a hazy, amber brown color in my tulip. The beer is quite well carbonated and is topped by a frothy, three-finger thick, tan colored head that leaves lacing on the side of the glass as it slowly subsides in a cacophonous mix of large through small bubble. The aroma is quite concentrated with sweet fruity notes reminiscent of figs, sweet plums, raisins and even prunes. There is also a healthy, bready, yeasty note here, as well as some notes of clove. The aroma is quite rich and sweet, but without being heavy. After a bit of time a note of alcohol becomes evident as well.

The taste has that same sweet, fruity character to it, and the body while hefty is perhaps not as rich as I was expecting. It is still palate coating enough to make this a satiating, slow sipping evening as I work my way through this 750ml bottle. It is definitely quite well carbonated as the beer foams up on the tongue, it is not quite as noticeable as in a lighter beer, but it certainly helps to lighten the body of this beer.

Actually at this point I think I would like it to be a bit less carbonated, so I spend the time to make it so. The beer softens out, and becomes even smoother than it was before. The sweetness is a bit accentuated as well, which tends to magnify the fruit notes of sweet plums and figs. In the end this beer does not quite seem rich enough, though in its defense it is at the perfect level for me to be able to finish a 750ml in an evening. The finish has a light sharpness to it (a mix of carbonation, alcohol, and a bit of spicy yeast character), plus a phenolic note of clove.

This is definitely a beer I am happy to have a 750ml bottle of, allows for a quite evening; it is contemplative when I want it to be, and light enough to just add to the experience if I happen to be distracted by a book. Definitely a good beer, one which even grows on me over time; it almost becomes greater than the sum of its parts.

3.63/5  rDev -15.4%

Bottle says to drink before June of 2007. Pours with decent head, body is reddish brown. Some lacing. Smells quite vinous and malty.

Tastes like a dark tripel. Dark fruits, and grainy malt. Individual flavors are tough to pin down. Bready, and fruity. Mouthfeel is average, Drinkability OK. Other than Westy, this seems to be the rarest of the trappists. It is better than Chimay, but I am slightly disappointed. This is a good beer, its just not one of my favorites. Since I've not had this before, I cannot be sure, but I think a fresher sample would be better.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

750 ml capped bottle pours a cloudy brown color with a huge creamy light brown head that leaves a sticky lacing in my glass. Nutty fruity aromas, flavors of spice, plums, figs, caremel and chocolate. Full bodied with a creamy, silky mouthfeel, finishes on the sweet side, alcohol very well hidden at 9.5%.

3.68/5  rDev -14.2%

Had this from a 750mL bottle. Tasted sweet but highly alcoholic, not nearly as good as I'd hoped for a high-end Trappist.

I'd been waiting to sample this for a while, but was disappointed once I tried it. Kind of run-of-the-mill for a Belgian Strong Ale. Just OK. the flavor was good but not outstanding or anything.

I guess I can't recommend it strongly. Go to other Trappist beers first.

Extremely dark tan-maroon. From any distance it appears purple brown. Genernally opague, and the pale beige head disappears with some haste.
The nose is all golden raisins, dates, carob, and cocoa.
Tastewise, it is more of the same. Up front is the dry, not-quite-chocolate-leaning yearnings of carob, augemented by dates, figs, plums, and raisins. Add unto this molasses and brown sugar. Next come yeast with its chalkboard and generalized breadiness. The fruitiness resides through the conclusion and there is little to speak of hop-wise.
Medium bodied with a thickish bodied partially alleived through CO2.
Pretty solid overall, even if It's not in the same class as things like St Bernie 12, des Rocs, Westy, or Rochefort. In it however, better than Chimay Blue

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Cloudy brown with a ridiculous amount of yeast particulates floating around. Regal-looking off-white head with mesmerizing lacing. Aroma is cloves, caramelized fruit, figs, pressed apple cider. On the tongue: spiced and candied dried cherries, sugard figs, caramelized prunes, ground allspice. Slight alcohol burn at the end with a pleasantly buzzy finish. The mouthfeel is creamy and full -- simply magnificent. I could drink this every single night, although I'd feel absolutely gluttonous if I actually did. This bottle finishes quickly every time. Worth every penny.

BB 08-07. Nice and lasting head, and a dark brown beercollor. Nose is very fruity giving plumbs, apricot and overripe grapes. Some spicyness there also but delicately dosed and not overdone, Dark candysugar and good carramellic maltiness. Taste is sweet and alcoholic with very good candytaste and carramellic maltyness and well bittered playing harmonicly together with the alcohol in aftertaste. Fine mouthfeel IMO maybe litle alcoholic but well enjoyable with good taste. Well recomendable IMO but be aware of high alc% that gets you.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Hard to believe i can actually get this locally but it's true (thanks Pop The Cap). Pours a hazy deep mahogany with a nice tan head that retains as well as can be expected. Aroma is an intense blend of malt and fruit; scents of plum, currant, blackberry, raspberry, dark candied sugar, toasted bread, light clove, and some slight grassy and floral hops...extremely intriguing and near perfect. The taste easily matches the aroma, big fruit and malt flavors: currant, blackberry, fig, plum, raspberry, toasted bread, dark candied sugar, light clove and corriander spices, floral and grassy hops, and some fruity ale esters. Mouthfeel is thick and rich with light to medium carbonation and alcohol is present but doesnt detract from the experience. This is easily my favorite trappist so far; complex, rich and delicious this is definately something to seek out.

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

I have two different bottles of this beer one has a label that is just like the one you see in the BA pic. The other one looks more like the traditional label but it is still labeled as the bruin bier extra with 9.5% ABV. Anyone know why the same beer would have two different labels?

Anyway, this Bruin Bier Extra poured a dark caramel brown with an off-white head that simmered down do a thin but creamy layer.

The aroma is of dates, molasses, and sweet malt.

The taste follows the nose. There is a lot of dark fruit: dates, raisins, plums, molasses. All of those big flavors stand out the most but there is still some sweet malt flavor that is present.

This is a full bodied beer with medium carbonation.

I would say this is a very drinkable beer for someone with appreciation for this style. I would definately recommend this beer. I'm glad weare138 sent me a bottle many months ago so I can continue to age it. The bottle I just reviewed is one I bought about a month ago while in Chicago. Great beer.

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

Achel Brune Extra pours up frothy, lively & lacy into an official Trappist Achel goblet. The off-white colored head is creamy & tall and sets off the reddish-amber to chestnut-brown body perfectly. The big bouquet is very complex with lots of earthy, fruity and spicy notes along with some noteable cream sherry overtones. Hints of green banana, carmelized pears, dried figs and hot raisin bread come to mind. The flavor isn't quite as complex as the nose, but starts off with a big flourish of caramel, chestnuts and fig with some yeasty bread character mixed in for good measure. A nice, gentle spiciness takes over midway and carries the brown sugar maltiness along. A touch of Poperinge hops in the background offers a balanced bitterness which dries out the slightly "hot" finish. This is simply a satisfying brew that any Belgian beer lover should seek out. No doubt, this one is destined to be a new classic! Pair generously with a nice ripe Bruges cheese, crackers and freshly cut Bosc pears.

CHEERS! Beertracker

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer is a clear, brown ale with a two and a half finger head poured into my chalice glass. Looks very nice. The head is nice and foamy, and leaves a lot of lace on the glass.

The aroma was of spices, faintly earthy dark malts, rosé wine, and sweet fruits. 9.5 %? Can't tell it in the aroma.

Taste was surprising... dark malts, earthy, toffee, light coffee, some spiciness, and a definite alcohol bite when a large swallow was taken. Very complex and good, like it should be.

Mouthfeel was VERY smooth and creamy.

Drinkability... this stuff went down so damn nice. Would have been a 4.5, but the alcohol taste was a little too prominent, so I had to cut it back a bit. Still, without a doubt an excellent example of the style.

Thanks to GClarkage for the trade. This was just what I needed tonight, after a lousy day at work.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750 "a consmmer de preference' avant fin 03-2008" notched on the side of the label, poured into a chalice.

Amber tinged brown with a large creamy head despite a careful decant. Great retention and it leaves sheets of ringed foam as it goes down.

Spices, alcohol, figs, touch of candy sugar, and slight chalky yeast, all backed byearthy malts. The alcohol aroma isn't hot or very peppery, in no way is it out of place. I usually prefer it toward the finish, but this does fine with it upfront. Its almost like the figs were soaked in booze.

Very smooth and complex when tasted. Malts come in like an earthy velvet coating the tongue with spices (coriander and clove), sugars, bittering hops, and a dry finish that is warmed by the abv. Nice full mouthfeel that leaves nothing sticky or oily in its wake.

Not a beer I could session all night given the abv, but something this tasty could be sipped over the course of an evening. I could see myself doing just that with two of these while celebrating a special occassion.

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Found and bought this 750ml bottle in ABS Drinks in Winksele

Appearance: A brown & hazy liquid topped by a big, tan head. Very little lacing. Looks creamy and delicious.

Smell: Malts, raisins, dark fruits, coffee, brown sugar & some faint spicy notes. Very good but a bit too faint. Gets more full and complex as the beer warms though.

Taste: Buttery malts, toffee and dark fruits mainly. Slightly dry spices and faint hops balance out the sweetness. Yummy!

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: Full bodied, this brew is smooth and creamy. The mouthfeel fits the style really well. The alcohol is wondrously well-hidden and doesn't show at all. Excellent.

Conclusion: A most excellent beer. A prime example of the style and by far the best brew from Achel.

3.33/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Poured from the capped bottle to a 25 oz crystal sniffer glass. The color is a clear muted red with brownish hues. The carbonation is even and smooth throughout the glass. The off-white head is rich and sticky and about 2 cm thick. Very nice retention and when it does thin out just a tiny bit of swirling revives the head to full force. Nice creaminess and lacing.

Smell: Vinous, malty, toffee, burnt sugar, crushed figs and raisins, tart fruit flesh, and a bit of floral and toasty malt. The nose on this is potent.

Taste: The flavor on this beer is quite turbulent. The sweetness dominates this beer in an uncomfortable way. It's insanely sweet to the point of cloying. Caramel and more crushed fruits. Figs and truffles with some fresh grass and a phenolic character all show up. But in this bare-knuckles ass kicking contest, the syrupy sweetness is the one with the lead pipe. All of the other flavors bow down to the syrupy sweetness before they are slaughtered. It's a gruesome affair. There is no hop contribution or bitterness in the flavor. The malt flavors are light and toasty but nearly non-existant. Alcohol wamrth finishes the beer. The flavor is good but very unbalanced.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and thick, medium to full bodied with a sandy and syrupy ending.

Drinkability: Good but too damn sweet. I can't drink this anymore. Everything is overpowered by that fruity sweetness. It ends up being an over the top, overdone, big bottle of sweetness without much enjoyable depth.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Trying this on the recommendation of stonecrusher.

It pours a deep murky brown color with a finger of head that grows tow two with the cascading bubbles. Retention is beyond belief. I have never seen a head grow on a beer after pouring it. The nose is sweet fig, brown sugar and a nice spiceyness to balance things out. Very nice indeed. The flavor is intense. Fig and raisin dominates, but there is a sherry-like quality to it. It almost has an almond or sweet cherry character to it, but muted. It is not overly sweet, and maybe a touch drying on the finish. The feel is solid moderate with a big bubbly carbonation. keeping it light on my tongue. Super flavor, super aroma, no hint of almost 10% ABV. Damn find beer. Very glad I have one in the cellar.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a dark brown color with a tall head that has great retention and leaves tons of lacing on the glass. The aromas are very sweet and has notes of dark fruits. The flavor is sweet, as the nose suggest. There are some definate dark and sweet fruits in the flavor as well as a few things that I can't identify. Might be some cherry flavors. The body is full and the drinkability is great. This is a great beer. Wish it were available around here.

Achel Trappist Extra from Brouwerij der St. Benedictusabdij de Achelse