Decadent Imperial IPA - Ska Brewing Co.

Decadent Imperial IPADecadent Imperial IPA

good

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: RockyTopHeel on 12-30-2004)

oline73, Nov 16, 2011

Mtnbeerman, Dec 06, 2011

leonnardoavila, Jan 24, 2012

dankster, Dec 05, 2011

doosty00, Jan 28, 2012

dogfish7, Jul 24, 2012

wnski, Jan 31, 2012

By far the best beer on the market today. It is smooth, hoppy and full of flavor without being bitter like some imperial IPAs can be. After this beer you will compare all other beers to it, and they will come up short.

Jakerad1979, Sep 27, 2014

I really enjoy this one. Nice hops. I found it recently on tap for $5 for a snifter. I don't know what it smells like, but I liked the smell. Good dark color. I have never tried it in the bottle, but both times I have had the draft I found it quite enjoyable.

VanillaHeat, Nov 14, 2013

captainbearcat, Dec 28, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +34.2%

Exceptional beer! The beer itself was bought in North Carolina after the Barrel Aged Sexual Chocolate release in 2011. I was super surprised by this beers balance. The hops and malts are melded perfectly to hide the 10% ABV level that this give. A must have for DIPA fans.

phisherman11946, Aug 23, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +32.3%

A - red in color and a white head that didn't hang around long. A little bit cloudy. Loved the bottle art and the red wax dipped top.

S - WOW! floral hops. Big on citrus and could be smelled as soon as you start pouring. Really liked it and it got looking forward to the beer more.

T - Really hoppy, citrus, sweet. Not a huge bitterness biting the back of my tongue. Love citrus hops

M - Little aftertaste. Medium body feel and smooth. Not offensive in carbonation.

D - A favorite for the time being, tho I know I'll keep trying different beers and keep finding favorites. I'll remember to keep my eyes open for more of this and happily clear a space in the fridge for more.

Tolann, Apr 24, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +31.5%

Acquired via trade from Weisguy, so a big Thank You goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep orange/brown color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of fruity citrus, floral hops and caramelized malts.

T: The taste is excellently balanced with a strong hops presence, fruity citrus and caramel sweetness and a malt character that isn't as hearty as most beers in the style but it has just the right substance to keep this beer on-par with other highly-rated 2IPA's and still make it light enough to drink continuously. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly hoppy.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, strong kick, very good representation of style. This is a beer that I could drink for a whole evening... or at least until the 10.00% ABV catches up with me. Honestly, I'm baffled by the low scores that this beer has received. Typically I don't reference prior reviews but I know this might not be as good as Dreadnaught (which I gave a perfect 5), but the fact that this is a "delicate DIPA" makes it a very drinkable beer.

TheManiacalOne, Jun 01, 2008

PJCracker, Jun 14, 2012

Gatordaddy, Nov 18, 2011

dlepeau, Dec 06, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy orange/brown, medium sized thick off white head, tons of lace. Smell is amazing, buttery with pine, floral, strawberries, pineapple, rich malt, some chocolate, nuts, and a little alcohol. Taste is wicked buttery caramel and toffee, resinous pine and floral hops, nuts and alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium to thick, low carbonation, I think one of the best IIPA's out there, superbly balanced and full of flavour, can't wait to get again. The hops are a little subdued and this might be more akin to an american barleywine, but its damned spectacular.

Viggo, Oct 18, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +28.8%

Pours clear reddish honey with thin off-white head and bubles moving slowly up the glass. Light lace. Very hoppy smell with both flowers and pine up front and a hint of perfumey fruit and a good malt base that is discernable over the big but not overwhelming hops. The initial flavor was more malty than I expected with good floral hops. The aftertaste is floral to bitter and stays around a long while with steady bitterness and decreasing floral note. Very smooth and nicely balanced. Definitely one of the better IIPAs in terms of balanced flavor. Medium to full bodied with slightly syruppy texture and active carbonation that gives a little bite on the tip of the tongue. The finish is nice and not too alcoholic, especially considering this is a 10% beer. Overall, I really enjoyed the balance that the flavor provided with excellent floral aroma and flavor that is not crushingly bitter like some others of this style. I would definitely recommend it.

walshclimb, Aug 14, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +27.4%

Ska has been one of my absolute favorite breweries since late last Spring when a bartender at Sheffield's in Wrigleyville first introduced me to the ESB and then to Modus Hoperandi. I have since traveled to the brewery in Durango twice and tasted the Decadent there. It stood out while I was there, but I have let this particular bottle sit for about three months now and that seems to have been an excellent decision. It is better thanI remember it.

APPEARANCE: Poured from a 22oz. waxed bottle into a tulip glass. Deep, opaque and gorgeous copper color with a fluffy white, quarter inch head.

SMELL: As soon as the cap was popped I could smell the strong scent of floral hops. It was begging a hop-head like me to take the first sip. Maybe the strongest smelling beer I have ever had. Not terribly complex, just straight forward, sweet and floral hops.

TASTE: The smell seems to just fade into the taste with the first sip. Strong floral flavor gives way to a very sweet floral flavor. The hops, however, balance the sweetness out quite nicely. The finish is fairly smoky and leaves a somewhat drier than expected aftertaste, which leaves the taste buds longing for the next sip.

FEEL: Silky and smooth, almost creamy, maybe too smooth for my taste. The intense hoppyness also provides a bit of a bite towards the end of each sip.

OVERALL: The word decadent perfectly describes this beer. Chocolate mouse cake is what keeps coming to mind as I sip, not in flavor, but in richness, sweetness and, of course, decadence. At a hopped up and malty 10% this beer is not for the faint of heart, but for beer lovers this is a treat.

StoneTSR, Oct 23, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +26%

Bomber poured into a Duvel snifter. No date.

Appearance - Slightly hazy amber body. Medium small llight tan head with good stick and medium retention.

Smell - Deliciously hoppy. Not overpowering, but smooth and pronounced.

Taste - Amazing. Perfectly balanced. Zero astringency. No off flavors. Light honey maltiness cuts through the medium-high strength hop body. Alcohol has a strong but not overpowering presence throughout. The best tasting IPA I've ever had, though it's my first imperial. Now I'm ready for Pliny the Elder. The spice is so perfectly complimentary with the underlying sweetness, and the bouquet opens as it warms.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and creamy.

Overall Drinkability - This beer is better than the sum of its parts. The smell and appearance don't have much to offer, but it's all uphill from there. Possibly the only beer I like from this brewery, and it far surpassed my expectations.

ZenAgnostic, Aug 15, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +24.7%

Previously had their (canned) Modus Hoperandi and liked it. Saw this and figured "why not?". Pours a deep amber brown, slight fizz, w/ an inch of cream-colored head. The last slight layer of head sticks around.

First smell is melon-ish, surprisingly. A bit of lemon follows, then the familiar grassy-in-multiple-senses notes. Even a bit of caramel way in the back (mkay, another shock). Enough observation, down the hatch...

All the above comes in, plus what tastes to me like orange, behind straight-up hop-bomb spiciness. Goes down thicker than I expected for the style (I've had CREAM ales that didn't reach this consistency, ffs!). Weirdly, some of the head is still hanging around, which you don't normally see. Meanwhile...10%? Really? I taste half that, I could see this getting chugged if not for all the complexity to savor.

I thought MH was generally a simple yet refreshing IPA. Decadent takes that and boots it to Mars.

longbongsilver, Mar 26, 2011

SjConroy, Feb 24, 2014

En29356, Dec 28, 2013

Chrixsus, Jun 25, 2012

Chilly_E, Jul 21, 2014
Decadent Imperial IPA from Ska Brewing Co.