Buster Nut Brown Ale - Ska Brewing Co.

Buster Nut Brown AleBuster Nut Brown Ale

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.15% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-07-2002

Malts: Victory & Munich
Hops: Northern Brewer, Cascade, & Willamette
2.27/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours with light brown, two-fingered bubbly head, fades slowly and leaves a good lace. Light-medium carbonation. Light bodied. Deep amber color. Not much of a nose. Starts hoppy finishes very hoppy and bitter. $1.69 for a 12oz bottle from Super 7-Even Raleigh, NC. (264 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -33.9%

The aroma is dusty and papery with hints of malt, toffee, and hops. The appearance is light brown with a huge head. The flavor is like the aroma with a touch of sourness. The palate is thin but OK. Overall this is a true buster. I wonder what they were going for this is not what a brown ale should be. (302 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -32.2%

Poured a 12 oz. bottle into a pint ale glass.

Color is a pleasing dark amber, almost mahogany color. The last of the pour is almost syrup-like, with the last few drop not wanting to leave the bottle. Head is thin with visible marbling, which soon disappears and leaves no lacing.

Smell is faint, sweet and roasted nuts with a hint of malt.

Taste is flat, reminds me of a bottle of pop left open too long.

Mouthfeel is in the roof. Like the aroma, too thin.

This was my fourth bottle of a six-pack. I started to review the first, but held judgment until I was sure. Sadly, all four bottles had the same results. I won't share this with my friends, and I'm too tight to pour the last two down the drain. The beer looks good, but seems to have been rushed out the door. (772 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -30.4%

12 oz bottle. Notches on the side of label says it was bottled Jan 02. hmmm. New to AZ, would they be shipping old stock here?.

Pours reddish brown, with a fizzy, short lived tannish head. no lacing.

Funky sour dirty sock aroma, I almost poured down the drain because of it.

flavor was better than the aroma, roasty, nutty, caramel.
Body was kind of thin
tiny bit of hops noted in the short finish. Probably wouldn’t buy again. (439 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -29.9%

12 ounce bottle with a cool cartoon label, on to the beer:

Pours ruby brown ibnto my pint glass. It has an amber glow as it sits in my glass and forms a low, one cm head on top. There is some good stuff in the nose, fruity esters mix with a toffee nut note. Faint hint of oxidation (cardboard). And now I taste it...it's like a mix of English pale with a brown. Fruity like strawberry preserves, mild dry nuttiness, with a whisper of dull alcohol hitting the palate. It's a little watery without much carbonation.

This beer didn't do me much good. Keep the esters and faint alcohol out of the flavor, and don't forget to pep the carbonation level. Then we have a much more enjoyable beverage here. (700 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -29.3%

12 ounce bottle picked up at a local store because I had to buy some fourth beer. Poured into a brandy snifter.

Vision
No matter what attempt is made, this beer cannot produce any head. Violent pouring, violent agitation, and violent prodding all fail to produce anything but a minor bubble cascade. There is little carbonation, although that isn't a problem. As color goes, this beer is murky brown. In the dim lights of my apartment I can just detect a cola brown hue. Held up to a light, it is apparent that the color is identical to dark soft drink.

Bouquet
The bouquet is very very faint. At first it hints of hazelnut, almonds, and something woody. As more attempts are made to discern the nature of this brew, it begins to nauseate one. It reminds me of nuts splashed upon Comiskey park bathroom stalls. It is unfortunate it can't go beyond that as it just begins to sicken me.

Flavor Profile
Can I even say it has one? It has bitterness if you let it linger on your palate, but there is very little flavor. I want something more.. where are my malts in this EBA? They barely exist within my orifice before they run in fear from the bitter units. The smells do not match the flavors at all. I begin to detect a woody, almost nutty flavor that is only a ghost of what may be there. Quickly it dissipates and leaves nothing but sour feelings on my tongue and disposition. The finish is not clean, and unwelcome. It is off-sour and ravishing my mouth and lips. I wanted the flavor to help me determine that unusual bouquet, but alas that is not possible.

Oral Sensations
This is the one shining moment of this beer. It is full bodied. The presence is what I wish many other brews could have. I was pleasantly shocked how it grasped to my tongue, my lips, my soft palate, my throat. It is hugging me, but not oppressively. Unfortunately, due to its flavor profile this mouth feel leaves me angry in the end.

Closing
I would not buy this again. I don't care if I paid less than 2$ for this bottle, it is not worth it in the least. I would rather pay double the price for something far more enjoyable than try this beer. Hopefully, future brown ales can bring my spirits back up to what they used to be before I was dashed by the angry mod suited man and his army of crazed bottles. (2,293 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -27.8%

Down and dirty review of a down and out nut brown. Best thing about this one was the pour – mahogany brown with a frothy tan head, nice sheet lacing.

Just some light hints of nutty malt. A harsh taste of woody malt pops up – just not at all smooth or well balanced. Nothing stands out with this brew – well, the label was interesting.

Way to thin - one and done with this bad boy. (389 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Thanks to LusciousJackson for this.

4.0 A: Clear deep amber mahogany color. One finger of beige, creamy head with average retention and a nice ring of lacing.

2.5 S: The nose is weak overall, but the worst part is how weak the nuttiness is. It is too weak to be pleasant and I'd actually prefer it to not be there at all. It's about as satisfying as a Coca-Cola that has sat in a glass with ice for too long. Grainy overall, with a touch of breadiness. Not impressed.

2.5 T: Taste is pretty much the same of the nose. Grainy backbone with watered down nuttiness and toastiness. Doubly not impressed.

2.0 M: Water body. Good moderate carbonation. Smooth because it is akin to water.

2.5 D: Certainly worse that average. They need to throw in some more malt and mash a lot higher. Too light and watery to appreciate. (845 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours brown with very little head. Sweet swell to this thing but nothing distinct in the aroma. Taste is pretty flat and I get very little distinguishable flavors from it. Maybe a blend of brown sugar and malt. I think I might have to buy another single of this in the future to ensure I simply didn't get a bad bottle of this. Mouthfeel is syrupy and very little carbonation. Very disappointed in this beer so far. I will have to give it a second chance though, reading a lot of these comments suggest something wasn't right for me here Maybe a wrong time, wrong place situation, maybe an old bottle that sat on the rack for too long, who know... (647 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -24.3%

12oz bottle from nvsblman as part of BIF 19. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed an overpowering 3" light brown head above the dark amber brew. Head fades very slowly, with areas of frothy lace. Aroma is minimally of effervescent malts, I expect some sort of nuttiness from a nut brown. Taste is lightly nutty, but other than than little character to note. Mouthfeel seems quite thin, with drinkability being a bit better, but overall not much redeeming here. Lots better brews in the cooler... (533 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -24.1%

A - brown, not too deep, minimal head, and no lacing to speak of, is this soda or beer?

S - not to bad in the smell dept., smells like maple syrup, roasted nuts, and almost toffee like malts, not bad

T - it's not that the taste was bad, it was just really really weak and watered down. i tasted some of what i smelled, but i had to try really hard to taste, the syrup, nuts, and such. this could be much better if the flavor was amped up a notch.

Mf - as mentioned, watered down, could benifit from a larger body, that being said, i suppose this could be positive for someone seeking an easy quaffer.

D - i wouldn't reach for a second one, if something else is available, but not painful to get through (706 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I bought this as a mix and match 6-pack from Everhett's in South Beloit, IL for $9.99.

Pours a very dark brown with a fast dimishing head and thin lacing. Scents of some robust malts and nutty hints. Drinks rather lightly for being a dark beer. Rather mild roasted malts taste with an awkward nutty finsh. The way you expect this beer to taste and the way it actually tastes are two different things. Not completly horrible but definetly needs some work on its taste and texture. (480 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -18%

Poured out into a pint glass, it looks good: dark brown body highlighted with red hues with very little carbonation and topped off with a finger thick off white head that quickly mellows out into sporadic bubble islands in the glass all surrounded by a strong lacing. Malts, brown sugar, wheat bread and mild cinnamon are some of the aromas coming out of this nice drink. Mild nutty aromas are in there too! Bitter when it first hits your tongue, but it quickly mellows out and is actually quite sweet. Unfortunately I can’t pick up any more flavor than this, except in the aftertaste, where some nuts and mild banana bread comes out mixed in with some raisin. It has a relatively light mouth feel and goes down really smooth, not a bad beer overall.

WOW!... just read a few reviews, I may have gotten a bad beer, it looked good and was not skunked at all...I'll have to get another one and re-review. (904 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured very much like a cola in appearance. Dark clear brown with a white fizzy head that was quickly gone.

Smell has a great bit of toasted malts and nuts.

Taste is big let down from the nice smell, flavor is very thin and watery with just a bit of nutty flavor with a little toasted grains and a mild earthy quality.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery.

Overall a pretty thin and boring nut brown. (404 characters)

Pours a clear dark brown with some particles floating around , small foamy tan head that leaves some lacing in my glass, roasty nutty-bready aromas. Nutty caramel flavors, finishes on the sweet side. Medium bodied with a kind of watery mouthfeel, an average brown. (264 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -11.6%

The beer emigrates from the 12-ounce brown bottle a somewhat hazy brown with a portly light tan head that is semi-creamy in texture as it fades away; the lace forms a concealing blanket upon the glass. Nose is malt with light caramel tones, fresh and somewhat tobacco like, start is lightly sweet and the malt profile light to moderate with the top light in its feel. Finish is mildly acidic, the hops benign in their spiciness, somewhat sour aftertaste is also dry, a drinkable beer, but not a real hit with me. (512 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -11%

Pours mahogany brown with a thick white mass for a head. Lacing is moderate.

Smell is strongly of nutty roasted malt as expected. Hops add a crispness to the aroma. Hints of chocolate and coffee. There is also a mild milk sweetness.

Taste is similiar to the nose. However, the flavors are on the thin side. The aroma led me to expect a robust flavor. Hops do provide a bit of a clean finish, but overall there just isn't much here.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. A little more body would have really helped this beer along.

Overall an inoffensive, but average nut brown. Nothing unpleasant here. Nothing to get too excited about either. Worth a try. (667 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance: Pours a chestnut brown with a very modest head that quickly becomes a ringlet, though it does leave a small trace behind

Smell: Brown bread, with a hint of toffee sweetness

Taste: Brown bread, with some nutskin sour flavor developing by mid-palate; some toffee sweetness in the mix as well; after the swallow, the sweet, bready flavors linger

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Brown ale is a tough style to get excited about, but some brewers manage to add something to it to make it interesting; Sky, unfortunately, does not (570 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -10.4%

A: a very pleasing pour of coffee hues w/ a thin off-white / egg-shell head.. light but decent lacing

S: not much going on here.. a standard ale smell with a hint of light coffee and slight molasses... smells like a heavily watered down stout

T: hits immediately on the front and sides of my tongue with malty sweetness, light coffee flavoring, syrup like after taste... barely noticeable caramels...

Mf: too light and watery for me tastes but just a tad short for the style

D: a decent offering from a company just now available in the midwest but would still prefer a modus hoperandi any day (597 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -9.6%

Dark brown in color. The head is tan and retention is very little. Lacing is scattered unevenly around the glass. Lightly toasted malts take stage with a faint hop bitterness. The nose ends on a sweet almond like nutty note. Light roasted grains dominate the taste but are balanced out nicely by bitter hop characters and a sort of sourness in the middle. Once again the taste finishes nutty. Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Smooth and with fine carbonation. A fairly average brown ale. Its got just enough complexity to keep you interested. If I could find this in singles in my area I could see purchasing a couple now and then. Although I would never drop the cash for a six pack. Worth a try. (692 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -9.6%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, brewed on date notched on the label. Label is the comic book style typical of Ska.

Appearance: Dark reddish brown, average head fades to just a bit of lacing.

Smell: Sweet, a bit of toffee.

Taste: A bit more hops than I actually expected, its got a slight medicinal quality that makes it slightly less enjoyable.

Overall impression: There are some good flavors, but something overall doesn't work .. its not bad, but I won't be looking for it again. (485 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -9.3%

Appears red/brown that is barely transparent with a 1.5 finger head that is tan, thick and creamy. So far so good.

Smell is biscity with a hint of nut, akin to a fat tire, though not as strong. Smells like a robust brown ale. Hop presence is absent, or else english and bready. Oops, just glanced to the top of the page and it is classified as an english brown instead of an american brown. The bad is mine, the good is theirs.

I have a difficult time telling if this brew is a one trick pony with the malts, or if they just used really robust english hops. Leaves a roasted malt after taste in the finish. Thin quality in the taste as it is all bread and nothing else. As it warms a bit a tangyness does come out in the hops, but it contrasts with the bread causing 'moldy bread' taste that I don't much care for, but is unique in its own way.

Mouthfeel is really lacking for me. With such a nice head I expected more, but the mouthfeel is really thin. My tongue is bitten by carbonation yet there is no weight in my mouth, like drinking sparkling air. Mouthfeel does not match the style in my opinion.

I have had this brew before in passing at a local bar and was not impressed. Found a sixer for 5.99 and figured what the hell. I like it better than I did before now that I'm less intoxicated, but overall I will not buy this one again when there are nice Hobgoblin ales to be had. (1,388 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a medium brown with a thin beige head. Nose has bready malts, nuts and molasses. Taste has toffee, molasses and bready malts. Light to medium body has average carbonation. Finish is a bit thin. Not a bad brown ale, just nothing special. Decent session beer. (263 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -8.7%

The beer pours out a very nice dark, brown mahogany color. It has a nice big head that dissipates rapidly. The beer has a nice aroma: Malty and sweet with a strong chocolate scent.

The taste is very carmel-like and sweet, but my bottle is so strongly carbonated, that it even affects the taste. The mouthfeel is medium - again overpowered by the high carbonation.

The beer is fairly drinkable, but again the carbonation gets in the way. (442 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

he beer poured reddish brown 3 finger slightly off white head that dropped quickly off.

The smell was slightly roasted with hints of chocolate, nuts. Over all sweet smell

Flavor was mostly chocolate / coffee. Very straight forward. Not very complex

Finish left a coffee taste. With a very average body

Overall average. There wasn't anything that makes want recommend or tell you not to try it. I would drink it again but i wouldn't go out of my way to buy it. I would suggest that you try it for your self (519 characters)

Buster Nut Brown Ale from Ska Brewing Co.