Euphoria Pale Ale - Ska Brewing Co.

Euphoria Pale AleEuphoria Pale Ale

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 12-05-2008)
4.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz can dated 15-September (!) into a Hoffman House chalice. Funny that "Ska's Winter Offering" is made now, but the best before date is 15-February, so I guess it's cool.

A - Pours a bright shade of amber, crystal clear, with a large, tightly packed tan head that lingers for some time. Carbonation appears brisk.

S - Fresh cut grass with a bright fruity note. Strong aroma.

T - Malt-forward start with a nice bready sweetness transitions to a moderate caramel middle with a hint of toasted bread. Carbonation is cleansing and not overdone. Good "hoppy green" flavor throughout, almost resiny, but quite clean. Finish is very dry with a spicey hop kick at the last possible second. Very nice, indeed.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation. Well done.

O - On the hoppy side of a pale ale, it has considerable melanoidin complexity and clean hop character while avoiding the citrusy C-hops. More of an IPA than a pale ale, but we're here to enjoy the liquid, not split hairs. Outstanding.

4.38/5  rDev +15%

It's Modus lite. Excellent pale ale.

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

12oz can. No sign of any best by/canned date.

It pours a slightly hazy amber gold with a 2 finger head of foam.It looks like minimal bubble activity going on. A nice looker.

The smell is hoppy with goodly amounts of pine and some citrus grapefruit. I like the nose as it suggests a flavourful APA to follow.

The taste *is* flavourful but more balanced than I suspected from the smell. Or maybe I should say the hop presence is more subtle than the smell sugested. Not a whole lot of malt here; it peeks its head in various times during each sip but it is only for fleeting micro moments. The hops bring the flavour but they are not overpowering, which is pleasing to my palate.

If I wanted my ass kicked, I'd have picked up more of their Modus Hoperandi. This trip to CO, I wanted to explore new beers to me or I would have grabbed some more MH. For sure.

Body? Medium. Carbonation? Medium. Mouthfeel? Very nice and smooth.

Drinkability? I feel this is an excellent addition to the already impressive portfolio of beers from SKA. I don't see an abv for it but I reckson what ever it is..it doesn't matter. This is super easy to drink.

Edit: I found the best by date near the bottom of the can. BB June 26 2010.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

This pours out a clear walnut color with a moderate initial head that fades within a few seconds. The aroma is fantastic, with a substantial bouquet of resinous, grassy hops. A delight to sniff. High bitterness and a lot of piney hop flavor start the taste, but there's a solid malt backbone to provide balance. Neutral, clean yeast profile. Lingeringly dry finish.

The best Ska beer I've had!

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Amber/Orange in color with "creepy" looking foamy head. Lacing exists, but only in spurts, not elegant looking, at all.

S - Grapefruit, flowery. Smells like an great Pale.

T - Very bitter and aggressive for only 6.1% ABV. I find it great to drink when I'm outside, but seeing as I'm currently inside reviewing this beer it tastes much different... Not nearly as good as it is on the slopes or after shoveling snow... Disappointing taste indoors in a calm state. However amazing when you're being active. Nice work SKA, it makes me want to go for a run then drink another :)

M - Overly carbonated. Dry and aggressively roasted which makes it hard to slam.

D - I could and would definitely drink a sixer of these in a sitting. A very good brew.

Drank out of glass. Typically, I drink it from the can, as a glass is not available. Love it either during the day or when I've been recently active... Sitting down stagnant enjoyment is not as high. A must drink and also a must share.

Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Euphoria Pale Ale from Ska Brewing Co.