Euphoria Pale Ale - Ska Brewing Co.

Euphoria Pale AleEuphoria Pale Ale

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 12-05-2008

Ratings: 385 | Reviews: 143
3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Pours a clear orange/copper color. At first a two finger bubbly white head forms, but recedes in an instant. Light lace is left behind.
S: Up front, huge resiny pine aromas. Almost shockingly so at first. Once it warms up a bit, more citrus hops and some malty sweetness for balance.
T: Big pine up front again, though not as much as a shock as the nose. Maybe I was expecting it? Plenty of citrus as well. Though much more bread/biscuit malt for balance. Simple, but very nice.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Crisp, clean, and very dry. Easy to drink. At first I was afraid the resinous pine was going to take over to much. Though it does not, and I can put back a few without a thought.

Overall, a very nice pale ale. A good stand by to keep in the fridge. Something I would recommend.

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz can with a best by 03/18/11 stamp on the bottom rim of the can. I am excited about Ska putting best by dates on their products! Pours a very clear copper color with a frothy cap of off-white foam. Retention is ok, but lacing is awesome.

Nose is easily identifiable citric hops and caramel malt. Clean, basic but nice and fresh. Maybe some pine resin comes in to give it a bit of a winter release feel.

Taste is piney, citric and toffee-biscuit malty. Little bit of cola and nutmeg spice notes as it warms. Strikes a nice balance between hops and malt, but falls firmly in the bitter camp. Very clean, almost refreshing. Nice mouthfeel and well carbonated. This is tasty brew, but does not make me think winter release necessarily.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured this beer out of a goofy blue metallic can and was pleasantly surprised! I was a bit concerned cause there wasn't a tssst sound when I pulled the tab on the can, but it poured out an adequately carbonated dark copper/brownish color. I bought it mostly because I knew it was fresh at my local crappy liquor store cause they just started carrying it. Note there was NO freshness date, almost a requirement IMO. Beer has a rather strong citric/tropical fruity hop smell, very faint malt and slight alcohol in the nose. Beer has nice lacing on my glass. I am a little confused about this beer, doesn't seem to be a winter warmer, has a very strong hop appeal almost like an IPA, and the can is labeled as their winter seasonal offering for a local snowboard company. Hmm, things are different over in Colorado and hey, good for them, this is a good beer, I suppose in say, a SN Celebration Ale sort of way, with a more wild fruity hop taste than spicey hop in SN. I can't detect a very substantial maltiness despite the darker color of the beer, never pale at all! The mouthfeel is smooth and never too heavy like some IPA's. I am not sure about the drinkability of this beer because I am guessing about a 6.0+ ABV. I have been meaning to try Ska Brewing Company beers, like the can fomat but have often stayed away because I have never known it to be fresh or not due to no freshness date. So, I was pleasantly surprised at what was packed in that little can. Will try more of their beers.

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

A: clear amber, one finger head, with thick residual lacing.

S: strong grassy, earthy hops, quite a bit of funk, some pine.

T: musty, skunky, the hops are a little harsh though. The grass and pine from the nose. Can't really tell the difference between this and the Modus Hoperadi.

M: light body, decent carbonation, though a little watery. Not warming at all which is disappointing for a self proclaimed "winter offering."

D: my immediate reaction? Meh. I'm not sure what's winter-y about a super hoppy pale ale. It's the absence of warmth. To put it bluntly, I will not be drinking this this winter.

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Poured out a clear, copper color with a two-finger, khaki-colored head of bubbly foam. It had some nice retention and left some soapy lace.

S - It smelled very floral and piney. Some nice caramel notes, too.

T - Good piney hop bite brings some bitterness. Good sweet caramel flavor with a touch of biscuity malt.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light to medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

D - This is a really nice APA. I like the idea of an APA as a winter seasonal.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

12oz can into shaker

This beer pours a nice copper with lots of fluffy head and great lacing that stayed with the glass the whole time. The nose was bitter, tropical fruit (grapefruit with a touch of lemon) and some pepper. The taste was typical of a well made pale ale. A bitter hops piney bite but not overwhelming like some IPAs can be. There is some peppery spice in the back, like was suggested from the smell. I can taste the caramel too. This beer is a nice contrast to its bitter brother, Modus Hoperandi. It is a great outdoors beer and very drinkable.

4.01/5  rDev +5.2%

pours a deep copper with light brown and ruby tone. big fluffy creamy head with amazing lacing and great retention.

light crisp citrus and pine with a very faint malty bread body.

sweet citrus and tropical fruit with a nice light pine bitterness. very light malty body that hides through out. another hop burst kicks in through the finish. lingering hoppy and malty aftertaste.

light and easy, but goes down painfully easy.

this is one amazing APA. i will buy this often.

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 12oz can into a SA perfect time.

Pours a dark, clear, copper color with a nice tan head. Head is foamy and leaves lots of lacing in its wake. Not much going on with the nose. Pretty faint, kind of a murky hop/malt combo, nice but too subtle. Taste is pine and citrus hop flavors with a strong bready malt presence. Some faint smokey notes as well. Guess it makes sense as a winter seasonal as it is kind of robust for your typical pale ale. Medium bodied and very drinkable. Overall a solid seasonal offering from a good brewery.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

This just arrived in the Valley and I found it at Feldman's on Thursday. Nice to see new beers on the shelf way down here.

Pours a dark orange/amber color with a one finger head. Some lace, but not much. Nothing world changing in the appearance. The nose is a bit funky. Sort of a dirty pine scent, but I don't mean that negatively. Citrus and peppery hops. The taste follows suit. Strong and hoppy, with a heavy pepper flavor that overlaps the malt and really just takes over entirely. Linger bitterness in the back of the mouth. I'm a big fan of hops, and I like this, but it's a flavor that may not be suited for everyone.

I like this beer, and I'd drink this again. I liken it to a denser, slightly heavier version of an American pale ale. There are other canned pales I would turn to first (Dale's, Pine Belt come to mind) but it's not bad. Ska doesn't do bad beers in my opinion, but there are some I prefer more than others. Not sure if this one is only available on a seasonable basis, but I'd drink it again. Nothing fancy, but a decent beer.

3.32/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a 12 oz can, curtesy of Emmasdad (thanks!), into a Chimay goblet

Appearance: Dark, darker than I was expecting anyway for an American Pale Ale. A deep amber color which is surprisingly pretty easy to see through. Turns red when held up to light. Half finger of light-brown head which dissipates quickly around the edges and a thin layer lingers in the middle.

Smell: Hops. Not a lot, but I don't pick up much more. A little bit of a piney smell, am I missing something? Do I have a cold I don't know about?

Taste: Malts right away, starts off surprisingly sweet. Turns slightly bitter with a piney taste (which is pleasant) in the middle, and then more bitterness at the end which sticks in the back of the throat.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, medium to heavy body. Really enjoyable mouthfeel on this one. What bubbles there are stick around on the tongue.

Overall: This a pale ale I can really enjoy. The mouthfeel is the best part of this beer, with the taste in a close second. Those two components make for a beer that is very drinkable and enjoyable.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

best by 04-01-11
pours a deep burnt amber color.
small 1 finger head that dies VERY quickly.
nice hop presence on the nose, citrusy... smells like it is going to be really good. taste falls a bit flat for me. Not sure if it is the quad I had before this or not, but shouldnt be. this pale is not that hoppy. tastes rather boring, to be honest. not to mention the oddness of a winter seasonal pale ale. I assume that the idea of a seasonal came about due to what was available during that season, and hops, are not available during the winter season, which is why spice and stouts rule... but yeah, this does have a nice caramel malt backbone, I just wish they hopped it up a bit more. after having their Modus, I expected more. Can easily taste the same hops as the Modus though... just wish it was more prevalent.
as this warms, it is getting better, and there seems to be more hop presence...so I have adjusted my scores accordingly.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

12 ounce can. Pours a bright copper amber with some lively carbonation and a nice fizzy, almost frothy, head. Aroma is mostly malts with some citrus in the background. Carbonation is pretty hefty for this style, it's quite fizzy. Some bitterness but not as much as you would expect for the style. Taste is pretty dang solid. Hefty malt greets you first, with brown sugar and caramel coating the tongue. Earthy hops come bursting forward followed by sour grapefruit leading the way into a nice and spicy, almost black pepper finish. This is one fantastic pale ale. Yet another solid offering from Ska.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(Served in an American pint glass)
A- This beer has a deep dark amber body with lots of floaties swirling around in with the gentle carbonation. There is a lumpy beige head that last for a good bit.
S- This fresh pale malt has a slight biscuit note to it with a woody green hops to follow that is soft and has an orange citrus quality to it.
T- The soft pale malt flavor is followed by a watery taste that grows as the beer opens up. There is a soft woody hops that leads to a big bitter pungent finish. The bitterness lingers a bit.
M- This beer has a medium light mouthfeel with a tight fizz finish.
D- This beer has big hops in the bitterness that overpower a lot of the other flavors. The malt is a bit soft and pretty light considering the dark amber body.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Pour - clean, clear dark amber, sort of chestnut in color with a nice thick head on top. Looks absolutely gorgeous after being freed from it's aluminum prison after many months.

Aroma - citrusy hops, lots of lemon aroma along with some spicy or astringent notes. Some powdered sugar along with a nice sweet caramel smell. After thing is in perfect order, just as it was when it went into the can quite some time ago.

Taste - a big sip and a nice smack of bitter, yet spicy and very citrusy, hops coat the tongue. This is tangy and finishes with a sort of peppery flavor. A decent amount of malt back things up and the dryness of my tongue keeps plunging my face back into the glass. Very balanced, no massive hop bomb nor has it become in anyway a malt bomb from its time in the can. If this was in a bottle I doubt I could say the same thing.

Overall - great brew from the folks at Ska. It may be a winter offering but its definitely doing the job on an 80 degree night here in New England. This is a lot different than Ska's IPA as its got a much spicier hop profile. I think of this one as more of an English-style IPA with a little more assertive hoppiness. Anyway you look at it you'll be happy once its in a glass and headed towards your mouth.

Would I buy more of it? - definitely. This was a rare treat and I'd like to thank my friend Tim in Arizona for hooking me up! Cheers Tim!

4.42/5  rDev +16%

Acquired from kiltdtxn, courtesy of the Nice Cans BIF so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep golden brown color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of floral hops, caramelized malts and fruity citrus.

T: The taste is very well-balanced and starts with a hearty malt character followed by sweet flavors of caramel and citrus. Then a strong but not over-powering hops presence comes in. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, decent kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent sessionable beer with a lot of flavor and substance that make it worth drinking for a whole evening.

4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a semi effervescent caramel with 2 fingers of sand colored head. Sheets of lacing & good head retention

S: Pineyness, leafy hops, slight figgyness

T: Pine, caramel, slight smokeyness, leafy hops & kiss of booze up front. Figgyness & leafy hops dominate as this warms, some mineral & piney hop as well, plus a touch of dryness.

MF: Medium bodied with fairly assertive carbonation, nice balance

Drinks pretty easy, I'd peg this about 6.5% abv, I will hope to find some next winter to see how a fresher can is, pretty damn good as is

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

This one first showed up with the holiday beers, and stuck around for quite a while out here. I was initially very much in love with this one, drinking approximately a 6 pack or so a week. Eventually, my consumption of it waned, as the somewhat one-dimensional hoppiness lost its charm for me. I look forward to next winter (in a manner of speaking) to seeing if my initial love of this one returns. Overall, a nice hoppy pale ale, and a nice complement to the Euphoria.

p.s. although my interest in this one waned earlier this year, I am now on my second six pack of the season, and cannot get enough of how good and drinkable this one is. My review is being adjusted upwards.

4.09/5  rDev +7.3%

12 oz. can tried 25 Apr 2010.

Okay according the the price tag and double checking the receipt this was $3.99 for a single at Liquor Mart. Again, WTF is up, Liquor Mart!? Seriously.

Served in a Twisted Pine shaker pint. Large light brown head. LIghtly carbonated. Clear brownish orange color. Aroma of citrus and hay. Fresh green juicy in flavor. Some citrus. Mildly bitter. Lightly bitter finish in the back of the mouth. Aftertaste is bittersweeet. Somewhat sticky mouthfeel.

Not spectacular but decent. Sure as heck would not pay $3.99 for a can again though.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

12oz can. No sign of any best by/canned date.

It pours a slightly hazy amber gold with a 2 finger head of foam.It looks like minimal bubble activity going on. A nice looker.

The smell is hoppy with goodly amounts of pine and some citrus grapefruit. I like the nose as it suggests a flavourful APA to follow.

The taste *is* flavourful but more balanced than I suspected from the smell. Or maybe I should say the hop presence is more subtle than the smell sugested. Not a whole lot of malt here; it peeks its head in various times during each sip but it is only for fleeting micro moments. The hops bring the flavour but they are not overpowering, which is pleasing to my palate.

If I wanted my ass kicked, I'd have picked up more of their Modus Hoperandi. This trip to CO, I wanted to explore new beers to me or I would have grabbed some more MH. For sure.

Body? Medium. Carbonation? Medium. Mouthfeel? Very nice and smooth.

Drinkability? I feel this is an excellent addition to the already impressive portfolio of beers from SKA. I don't see an abv for it but I reckson what ever it is..it doesn't matter. This is super easy to drink.

Edit: I found the best by date near the bottom of the can. BB June 26 2010.

3.43/5  rDev -10%

Clear, amber brew. Head is nice-looking: tall, sticky, off white color. Leaves a filmy trace down the glass.
Nose is malty, with some caramel and toffee. Notes of citrus juice jump in to tag along. Flavor notes are floral and citric, with grapefruit pith leading the way. Malts come in sticky and caramel-like. A little bready, but not quite thick enough. Medium to full mouthfeel - syrupy hopping. Carbonation is about right.
Not bad, but doesn't stand out much from the crowd. Slightly chemical note from the can doesn't make a great impression.

Acquired this from TheManiacalOne so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!

A: This beer pours a deep hazy copper/burnt orange color with a one finger of white sudsy head on top. Head recedes rapidly leaving nice ringed lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is quite hoppy. Nice piney hop notes with a hint of citrus hops. Some mild grainy and pale malts are also present.

T: Taste starts with a flavorful hops bite. Taste is big piney hops on the forefront. Grain and pale malts fill out the middle balancing out the hops nicely. Finish is major lemon and grapefruit hops. The grapefruit lingers on the finish.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, crisp body with an extremely dry finish.

D: Very good representation of style, goes down easily, nice bitter presence with a lingering citrus bite on the tongue. This is a very nice beer.

Served from a 12oz. can acquired as an extra from a trade with emmasdad (Thanks!) into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass at the appropriate temperature (03/11/10)

A: Pours a clear, dark amber capped with a 2 finger creamy and frothy off-white head leaving some nice ringed lacing.

S: A nice balance between the hops and the malt with tones of citrus, pine, and a semi-sweet caramel malt.

T: Similar to the nose, but a bit more vibrant. Layers of caramel malt combined with a well balanced pine and citrus hop.

M: Medium-bodied with some creaminess and moderate carbonation.

D: Easy to drink and seems fairly low in alcohol.

Overall this was a nicely balanced American Pale Ale and one that is quite sessionable. Thanks again Dan!

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%

I drank this from a 12oz can into my Orval glass.

The beer pours a dark gold, pretty clear, with a lot of brown to it. The head is light tan, rises about two fingers but it is gone quickly. Light lacing.

The aroma is super light, only gives off a hint of light hops.

The taste is ok, mostly bitter hops with a hint of pine to them.

The feel is light and a little watery with a light bitter finish.

The drinkability is ok, nothing special.

Overall, this is ok, especially for ska, but nothing special.

Pours a hazy copper color with generous white head. Nose has mixed citrus and some maple with pine. On the palate the pine comes through nicely with some syrupy sweet malt flavors. Finish is a mix of malt sweetness and piney hops as well. This one is more balanced, as if a pale ale, rather than a traditional american india pale ale.

3.45/5  rDev -9.4%

A: pours a clear dark amber with red highlights and a little white head which leaves sticky lacing

S: nose is piney, resinous hops with some grapefruit and other tropical fruits, a presence of caramel malts at the end

T: the flavors seem reversed on the palate with the malt presence coming first and then being taken over by hop bitterness, the hops come through a bit strong on the finish. The overall taste is unbalanced.

MF: light body with medium carbonation

D: this beer isn't bad and certainly has a prominent hop presence, but it finishes a bit too bitter... it seems one dimensional. If there was more malt presence, this beer could be a real winner.

Euphoria Pale Ale from Ska Brewing Co.