Modus Hoperandi - Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: GilGarp on 03-03-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Modus Hoperandi Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,450 | Reviews: 771

I love this beer. I love the little green cans, and I love this brewery. I have been enjoying the cans for some time, and recently had the pleasure of having on tap. Just a perfect example of an american IPA.

Pours a nice orange with an off-white head. Very nice lacing. Beautiful beer.

The aroma is pine, pine and more pine. Hops is the word of the day when it comes to this beer.

The taste does not dissappoint. It is like a Christmas tree in a glass. I love it. 75 IBUs and it is amazing. Any hop head should definitly taste this beer. Ska has a few good beers, but I think this is head and shoulders above the rest. A great IPA.

A-I really don't think you can get any better than this beautiful alure of this gorgeous IPA. It pours a clear, deep golden color with a hint of amber.It boasts a large off white head that has excellent retention and strong, luscious lacing all the way down the glass. It's a looker for sure.

S-Huge aroma of scrumptious pine hops finds it's way to my nose first, then the slight sweetness of both pale and caramel malts come next and quite underneath, but not hidden. The nose also is very floral as well as piney. Very nice. I don't think the aroma could be improved any either. So far this is a winner. Very impressive

T-And the flavor has a HUGE hop character as well. Pine first, then slightly floral and a bit sweet caramel in the finish. Of coarse there is a big, bold bitterness that is very clean and refreshing that makes me want to drink more and more of this wonderful IPA.

M-This had a full, creamy body that coates the mouth well and a wee tad bit of dryness in the finish. Perfect!

D-I could slowly session this all night long and be very happy. Please, if you haden't had this IPA yet, you need to go and find it and buy it. This is what an IPA should be like. It's very rare that I give a perfect score on any given beer, but this one deserves it, for real. Very impressed indeed.

Exceptional IPA!! Exactly what I hopped for

By far my favorite beer. This beer introduced me to IPA's and I have yet to find one that I enjoy as much as this one. Great copper color and for me, the perfect aroma and taste.

4.93/5  rDev +20%

Such a delicious beer! Very citrusy in taste with plenty of hops. Good at all times of the year!

4.92/5  rDev +19.7%

Acquired via trade from KenGage, so a big "Thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a good-sized off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a great blend of strong floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts with a nice strong burst of piney hops bitterness that is followed by sweet flavors of citrus fruits and caramel. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and is exactly where it should be for the style. The hops bitterness fades just enough to allow the other flavors to come into balance. The after-taste is hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, good kick, excellent representation of style, this is a great IPA that is worth drinking for an entire evening, the type of beer where if it were available to me, I wouldn't look for anything else as there would be very few beers that would supersede it.

4.89/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Love this beer and the can it comes in. No to harsh not to light, just right. The color is just right, the smell of hops is just right. It does at times have a after taste but that's probably me cause it's off and on. Overall I like it better than any English IPA

4.89/5  rDev +19%

Unless held up to light, this IPA looks pretty dark in the glass---garnet, with a modicum of a cap (though I think it's poured a taller head previously...). The aroma is just outstanding. I can't think of an IPA that really struck me like this in a while. It reminds me of a harvest ale, with gooey, fresh green hops alive in the glass. There's a definite herbal quality to them, as well as a bit of bubble gum and pine. Ska really nailed the aroma. Thankfully the taste doesn't disappoint. Those pungent hops really assault the palate in a good way. Again, I can't recall an IPA that really took me aback in a while, and this one's doing it. I like how there's a minimal malt sweetness and the body feels just right. The hops leave an enjoyable stinging bitterness long after the sip. I drank one of these in 100F weather at the pool and it went down great. Ska's IPA just skanked its way on through to my current top 5 list of IPAs, shouldering up to Avery, Great Divide, Odell, and Sierra Nevada.

4.87/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from the really appealing looking 12oz can.

Ap= Amber color with nice clarity, and and three finger off white head

Ar= Smells fantastic, Pine and grapefruit peel. Dominated by pine though. This is how American IPAs should smell imho.

F= Flavor follows the nose but with a very pleasant burnt sugar edge to round out the hops. Bitterness way out in front, I love it.

M/D= I would say that this is fairly medium bodied the bitterness does alot for the mouthfeel, but stays pretty easy to drink.

Phenomenal beer all around!!

4.85/5  rDev +18%

First off, this is the beer that is always in my fridge.

The color is a darker amber shade. Nice 1.5 finger head that sticks around for a bit.

The nose is nice. I think that it has a nic mix of floral notes as well as some sweeter citric layers. (Grapefruit)

Very citric and bitter but an amazing flavor profile!!! Nice crisp finish.

This is the beer I've looked for. For an IPA it's exactly what I enjoy. Also it comes in cans so it's easy to take with you wherever.

4.85/5  rDev +18%

I love this beer. I also love Ska's Decadence as well. I do not usually drink beers from a can, but this is exceptional. I definitely recommend this IPA. I just wish I could find it easily. There is only one store that carries this beer in my area. I love the hopiness in the beer.

4.84/5  rDev +17.8%

Piny, Danky, Floral, My "go-to" any day

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

A: Crystal clear, orange-red with a healthy off-white head. Very nice looking ale that leaves excellent lacing.

S: Tropical fruits, particularly pineapple and mango. A hint of pine but not much, and some caramel sweetness.

T: Bitter but balanced. Caramel and pine commingle softly, backed up by the aforementioned tropical fruits. Pleasant sweetness on the finish.

M: Medium body with excellent carbonation, perfectly compliments the ale.

O: An excellent ale, just as enjoyable the 50th time as it is the first. Easily in my top 5 IPA's.

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured into a 20 oz tumbler.

A - Light clear amber, massive dense 3 inch white head, sticky lacing down the side of the glass as the head dissipates.
S - Scent is light, but very clean and piney, slight citrus smell, a hint of tea.
T - Brilliant bitter start with the same piney/citrus/tea flavour, slight bitter aftertaste prepares the palate for the next sip.
M - Smooth, thin, refreshing, hits all areas of the tongue.
D - Extremely smooth, not overpowering, goes down easy, refreshes immensely.

Wonderful beer, easy to drink, inexpensive. I hope to keep it in my fridge at all times.

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

Just returned from business trip to Chicago! Did pub crawls on 2 consecutive nightrs. Not major crawls! Anyway I am heading back as NJ is barron for great west coast style IPA's. I know this is from CO but should be CA.

Needless to say between SKA and 3 Floyds availability my house is on the NJ market. Windy City here I come!

A must have beer for Western Hopheads!

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

This is my favorite beer. So I'm biased...but also haven't had every beer. I used to not like IPAs and this one slapped me in the face and said: "Listen, you like scotch, Cabernet Sauvignon and argumentative women." I immediately knew that the intensity of the palette is what I require in beer. Looking for other great IPAs...especially in six packs....I would say Marshall's Atlas IPA does the trick...ALMOST.

4.81/5  rDev +17%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark amber, almost reddish, with thick foamy head. Head retention and lacing is excellent. Nice citric, piney hops aroma. Malty taste up front, quickly followed by a piney hoppy bitterness with a citrus flavor right at the end. A bitter citric flavor predominates the aftertaste. There is excellent transition between the malts and hops. Excellent beer. One of my favorites

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from can into pint glass.

A: A hazy orange gold. This is an odd looking color, but it is not unatractive. Nice foamy head which stays with the beer as it is comsumed.

S: Sweet smell of citrus. Pineapple, orange, apricot and grapefruit. I love sweetness, only I question too much sweet in a beer. The sweetness is balanced with the crisp scent of pine and this beer smells beautiful.

T: Taste follows the sweet route. I cannot believe how much I am liking this right now. The strong citrus hops along with the pine, take the taste from sweet to bitter in moments. Each taste follows suit, and is a great experience. Enjoying this one a lot.

M: Medium body, each area of my tongue reacts to some flavor.

D: Excellent.

I tried this one in a bar the other night, and all I can say is, I am hooked. Sign me up. Next trip to the store, this is on the must buy list.

4.79/5  rDev +16.5%

By far one of the most pungent and flavorful beers I have ever had. Its sweet kiss followed by bitter kick is unmatched. Leaves a "stink-face" on those whom dislike IPAs, but a body shivering aw of perfection to the few who find the IPA complex, over-taking, and slow.

Not for the weak tongues

A must have for IPA lovers

4.77/5  rDev +16.1%

It was as if I had a CANopy in my sleeper car on this trip! I was certainly enjoying the fruits of my short visit to CHI, so much so that I called the brewery and found out that they have only been CANning this beer since February 2009. It's label read: "Walk, Kite, Recycle, Hide, Seek, Plant, Recycle, Grow, Shower, HHH, Tube, Recycle."

I got a rocky one-and-a-half fingers of ecru head with great retention from my pour. The nose smelled like a pine forest. Now, we were talkin'! Heck, I'd trade for more of this in a heartbeat. Color was a deep BUPGOO amber with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was medium with a hops bite that put everything else that I had drank thus far on the trip to shame. Oily, resinous, truly piney, yow! The finish was bone-dry. There must have been malt at some point in the brewing process, but you could not prove it by me. Man, was this goood.

Beach/Shore: Hell, no! Take this camping! It screams mountainous pine forest. More, more, more.

4.77/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass. A lovely clear dark copper color with a two finger off white head that hangs around for a few minutes before settling into a thin cap. There is visible carbonation and lots of sticky lacing down the glass. The mouthfeel is a little thin.

The smell is a nice malty sweetness with a wonderful piney and citrus hop scent that opens up a bit as it warms. There is also a slight grassy smell.

The taste pretty much follows the smell. It starts with malt up front, followed by lemon, grapefruit and pine notes from the hops, It finishes with a clean bitterness that doesn't last too long. It's very refreshing and goes down very easily.

This is one of my favorite IPA's with a distinct flavor and wonderful smell, highly recommended.

Smells fruity and piney.

Tastest citrusy, SUPER piney, bitter. A kick in the teeth of hops. With a resiny, sticky finish that lasts FOREVER like an awesome American IPA should. It reminds me of Stone Go To IPA with a little more body. Pardon my Stone reference, but I've been trying to find an IPA like Go To and this is the closest one yet. LOVE it.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Outstanding! Its great to see a truly great IPA in a can. Low carbonation, full bodied hops with a floral/herbaceous/light citrus aroma and flavor. Pours a very clear amber with a beautiful creamy head. Moderate to strong bitterness makes this a great IPA to sit down and kick back with.

12fl oz can poured into my mug

Pours a medium copper like color with a two inch slightly tan dense head. Great head retention with huge amounts of soapy lacing covering the sides of my glass.

Smell consist of huge pine and citrus flavors with some floral highlights. Pine sap with hints of grapefruit, tangerines, pears,
and apricots.

Taste is more on the citrus side with the taste of grapefruit and tangerines. Malts can be tasted in the backbone as a balance which is nicely done.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

I have tried this beer on more then multiple occasions and to me its a great IPA with good drink ability. Highly recommend this beer.

4.71/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this gem on tap at Great Northern in Denver last weekend.
Hop heads seek this out! Smooth complex IPA that leaves you looking for another.
At only 6.8%, you can easily polish off several.

Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.