2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Modus Hoperandi - Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 03-03-2009)
View: Beers (25) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Modus Hoperandi Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,696 | Reviews: 688 | Show All Ratings:
FernandoIce

Colorado

If I could give this a beer a 0 I would the taste alone made me puke. I'd rather drink cat piss, and I hate cats..I have drank a lot beers in my life and this is by far the worst. I understand why there are no negative comments on this beer, it's that bad. I didn't want to waste 250 characters on it but I felt someone should.

06-17-2013 04:35:47 | More by FernandoIce
wheatyweiss

Wisconsin

2.5/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a tulip.

Pours a medium honey with a moderate cloud. Two finger head recedes to a decent cap and sticks well.

Aroma is a unique, very floral hop. The hops yield to a spicy malt, cinnamon and allspice, bit of clove. Skanky, dirty malt aroma in the finish.

Flavor is..odd. Metallic hops take the fore front. Medicinal and phenolic, this is not a good flavor, the phenolic flavors are over the top. Malt is spicy and the hops are extremely floral, But the band aid phenolic is just too much, it is sour and chemical and not good at all.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied carbonation is good.

At first I thought I had an infected beer, but I had more from the six and they were all the same. This beer was forced past a drain pour, not recommended in this form.

02-17-2011 01:01:12 | More by wheatyweiss
glazeman

2.68/5  rDev -35.1%

A: orange in color with a one finger white head that had moderate retention and lacing.

S: I don't get much on the nose, there's a little bit of lemon zest and citrus, but not much.

T: I have had this beer on two separate occassions and found it to be quite soapy both times. The hops are not balanced and not plesant. It is very bitter up front, but only soapy in the aftertaste.

M: Nice level of carbonation and viscosity, but not a very good aftertaste.

D: I wouldn't want more than one of these in a night. There are so many better IPAs out there.

01-09-2011 21:51:17 | More by glazeman
kbutler1

2.83/5  rDev -31.5%

Can. Best by date of 12/01/11 - this being only 6/21/11 I wouldn’t want to hold onto it unitl December but meh what do I know. Poured into a tulip glass dark copper color with a 1 finger light tan head that settles down at a medium pace. Not overly fruity aroma but definite notes of grapefruit/orange. Some floral type notes as well. Medium mouthfeel. Grapefruit, metallic, and then a building bitterness that seems to get fairly bitter. Lingering bitterness. This IPA just didn’t fit well with me. IMO not very balanced and had some off flavors both in the nose and the taste. Minimal lace.

06-21-2011 20:21:48 | More by kbutler1
Ego

2.95/5  rDev -28.6%

bought down in the outer banks...

eyes...
best by 2.21.11
like their decadent I tried last night the head really boils up on this, a good full two fingers, damn, poured side by side this might be a twin of the Decadent sans a slight red hue not present on modus....
carbonation is apparent, clean and clear looking through the brew, head retention and lacing is very good. man... this seems like a rewrite of my last review... hopefully this one kicks it in the taste pants...

nose...
underwhelming nose (the beer, not mine), some hops, some sticky smelling caramel malt, nothing that sings... pretty average but not bad.

taste etc...
just like the decadent the carbonation feels flat, I can see the bubbles but the structure is strange, this taste's like watered down Decadent... the bitterness is there but the overall hop flavor is lacking, the malt is also just "meh". Rarely is bitterness off putting to me... but this is.

verdict?
there are much better IPAs in a can... let alone bottles.

11-09-2010 04:39:42 | More by Ego
goochpunch

2.98/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours out a dark amber with a fairly thick head. Smells strongly of citrus hops with loads of caramel malts. A bit of toast in the nose as well. Tastes very malty. Too malty for an IPA for my tastes. Lots of caramel and toasted malts. Solid citrus and bitterness from the hops, but the malts run this beer. Also, I get a ton of fruitiness from the yeast, which reminds me of gummy candies. Mouthfeel is smooth in the carbonation, but it's a bit sticky and thick for what I look for in an IPA. Overall, this isn't my favorite IPA. Too sweet and malty.

04-05-2014 23:44:55 | More by goochpunch
BucannonXC5

Type: 12-oz. can
Glass: Hotel glass (half pint, half snifter)
From: Wilbur’s Total Beverage in Fort Collins, Colo.
Price: Part of a variety 6-pack for $9.99
Purchased: May 2, 2013
Consumed: May 3, 2013
Misc.: N/A

Poured a dark caramel amber color with two fingers of off-white head. Nice amount of spread out lacing on the sides. Average retention all the way down.

Smelled all sorts of hops, starting with resin hops. Also citrus hops (grapefruit, orange peel) and floral hops. Skunky resin really dominates here.

Taste was a bit out of whack. Lots of different flavors that really didn’t work well together. The resin hops comes in first, but is not as dominant as the smell. Could taste the alcohol for sure and it reminded me a bit of aftershave. Kind of heavy and grainy. Faint floral hops and some grapefruit citrus hops. Very bitter.

Medium body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Bitter finish that was way too much alcohol.

The alcohol here just dominates. Not a big fan and I’ll do my best not to try it again. Maybe just a skunky can?

05-09-2013 06:41:10 | More by BucannonXC5
MbpBugeye

3.05/5  rDev -26.2%

This extra can was kicked to me generously by Ryan011235. I penned out some notes over at his place after GLBC's public sales.

A- I am faced with a deep, clouded copper colored beer. A darker take on the style, which it seems is something Ive been seeing more of lately. It sports a parchment colored head that gets up to about a finger (the standard BA unit of measure) in height.

S- Quite malty on the initial whiffs. Caramel malts seem apparent. The aroma then moves through a floral and tea-like phase on its way to a piney and bitter grapefruit spike.

T- Herbal, floral and tea like hops kick things off. A caramel maltiness peaks its head out in the middle, just before some grapefruits make themselves known. The finish is caramely with a lingering grapefruit rind bitterness.

M- Sharp and stinging. Dry, crisp finish.

10-31-2010 01:56:12 | More by MbpBugeye
KBomb

3.08/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured from a can into a tulip. Dark copper color with large fluffy head. Big hop aroma coming off the top! Smells like the vacuum after you throw out the Christmas tree and clean up all the needles that have fallen into the carpet. As you'd imagine by the smell, taste is super-hoppy. Mostly piney cascade flavor, a hint of grapefruit peel. Very bitter. There isn't much malt background at all. Hops are a little one dimensional and there's a touch of mustiness to it all. Pretty dry finish and slightly heavy. Couldn't see myself pounding these.

Hop maniacs might like this for its insane bitterness. I prefer my IPAs to have a little more nuance to their hop flavor and a little more malt for contrast. I like having craft beer in a can, so I'll consider this to keep in the mix for camping and golfing, but its far from my favorite IPA.

06-11-2009 16:11:54 | More by KBomb
codewarrior

3.08/5  rDev -25.4%

12oz Can from a 6-pack poured into a Chalice.

This beer has a cult following round these parts. To the point that non-drunk random persons in Argonaut audibly cheered me for pulling it.

L: Deep apricot and clear, with dollops of rich, beautiful head. Great retention.

S: Overwhelming hops up front, with futile massive sweetness trying to overcome in the back.

T: Hop bomb! Sweetness is even more absent in the mouth than the nose. This thing has a one-track mind, and that mind wants to be as hop-ridiculous as possible. No balance, or even an attempt at it. To be admired?

F: Great feel here, perfect carbonation, perfect thickness, consistant, good as it opens up.

D: Like it a lot, aside from the taste. Minor details.

Still, any brewery that open sources it's beer recipes is OK by me.

11-10-2010 02:11:08 | More by codewarrior
kojevergas

3.1/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Aluminum can into a Samuel Smith's conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average; Ska tends to be underwhelming.

Served cold. Side-poured. Not paired with food.

A: Pours a three finger head of nice cream and thickness, and light white-khaki colour. Retention is good. Decent lacing. Body colour is a clear textbook copper with no visible yeast particles. No bubble show. Par for the style. I like the head.

Sm: Nectary and floral hops. Caramel. Pale malts. Sticky sweet malts. A hoppy appealing aroma of moderate strength.

T: Nectary and floral, with some evident hop bitterness. Caramel and pale malts form the unobtrusive foundation. It's incredibly simple, and the balance isn't quite good. I do like it, but there's little to say about it in light of its simplicity. Lacks subtlety.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Somewhat refreshing. Standard carbonation. Not as crisp as I'd like. A bit too thick. Generally good for the style, but it's far from custom-tailored to the flavour profile.

Dr: A drinkable IPA from Ska. I've had this from the can and it's much better from a glass. ABV is well hidden. I doubt I'd get this again; maybe fresh on draught. A passable IPA with high ratings that I don't understand. Another meh beer from Ska.

C+

01-13-2013 03:21:51 | More by kojevergas
slowbie

3.13/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass. Can dated best by 9/11/11.

Pours a clear copper color with a one finger head with poor retention. This must be filtered, because it's incredibly clear for an IPA.

Grapefruit hops in the aroma, but I can also pick up some sweet bready malts as well.

Taste is grapefruit hops up front fading to a malt backbone that is more subtle than I expected from the aroma. It then fades to that bitter, dry, tongue coating finish -- in a good way. A hint of alcohol near the end too. Looking back on this paragraph, it's accurate, but sounds better than I think the beer actually is. I think the beer is good, but I would like more bitterness and a more complex hoppy flavor. Part of this may be influenced by the mouthfeel.

As I just mentioned in my last sentence, I think more carbonation or more bitterness is necessary in this beer. This beer does manage to be thick and dry at the same time, which lends itself to this moderately low carbonation, but it lacks the bite I'm looking for up front.

If not for the $2 price difference here (this was 10.99 for six), this beer could easily compete with Dale's Pale ale as my go to tailgate (i.e. I have to drink from a can) beer. However, although the beer is enjoyable, I probably wouldn't buy it again for home consumption with all the other better IPAs available to me at similar or lower prices.

03-29-2011 02:53:29 | More by slowbie
Gueuzedude

Arizona

Bottled February 2009; Sampled June 2009
A soft'ish pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a three finger thick, light tan colored head that has some staying power to it. The beer is a dark copper, amber color that shows an almost clear, full copper color when held up to the light. The aroma has a herbal and citrus note to it, though it doesn't jump out of the glass. Notes of Meyer lemon, a touch of lychee as well as some grapefruit zest notes seem to be drowned out at times by a dusty, cracker like malt note. The aroma is not bad, but it certainly isn't remotely brash like a decent IPA should be.

The beer is fairly dry, but does have some malt body to it that makes it cling to the palate just a bit. Herbal and menthol hop notes define the up front flavors and there is a biting bitterness here as well. The citrus hop notes take a distant backseat, but provide some just noticeable orange flavors. The malt character here is defined by the crystal malt which contributes a touch of toffee, some caramelized grain character and some biscuit like grain notes.

In many ways this seems a bit like a mildly hop focused Amber Ale, it does have a biting bitterness to it, but other than that the hop character is severely lacking.

05-31-2009 15:56:03 | More by Gueuzedude
rye726

3.15/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours tan with a thin beige head. Nose has subtle malts and some grassy hops. The flavor profile was light and seemed a bit stale. Needed a bit more pop to it. Grainy hops and subtle malts. Body is a bit thin and under carbonated. Decent session beer from Ska.

08-21-2009 04:46:34 | More by rye726
Kegatron

3.15/5  rDev -23.7%

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a mostly clear deep coppery amber, with 2 firm fingers of off-white head. Retains with about a ¼ finger of smooth and creamy froth, leaving some heavy lacing back that hangs in thick swathes down the sides of the glass. The aroma is bit dank and herbal feel in the nose, being punctuated by extra notes of spice and pine. Some tropical fruit character and bready malts give this a backing tang while a floral feel helps pull the flavors together.

The taste is similar, with an overall more earthy feel up front, as bitter citrus and toasted grains try to offer some balance. Resins and spice run wild in the back of the profile, giving the finish a gritty raw hop flavor that is tough to shake. The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the most part but this has a watery softness to it in spots that takes any kind of force away from the flavors. There is some warmth here to the body but it mostly serves to help strengthen that overly bitter finish.

While I appreciate having another IPA out there in cans, this one just didn't work for me. Way to unbalanced with the hops towards the back and the body felt like it was seriously lacking some substance. Considering the majority of the reviews for this, I think that I'm going to have to try a couple more cans of this to see if I missed something.

01-04-2010 17:19:56 | More by Kegatron
jaasen64

3.15/5  rDev -23.7%

12oz can courtesy of DonFrap. Poured into tulip glass. Best until 1/13.

A- Pours a dark reddish amber with a little over a finger of slightly yellowish off-white head that has great retention and leaves layered lacing. Decent carbonation.

S- Grains, amber malts, some light hops that don't give off that much of an aroma.

T- Fairly malty, mix between caramel and amber malts with some grassy hops in the background that accentuates on the finish. Lightly sweet, not much citrus going on, too dominated by the malts.

M- Medium bodied, king of corn-syrupy, slightly under-carbonated, easy to drink.

O- This was an okay beer, but not at all what I look for in IPAs. This was almost completely dominated by the sweet malts. The hops that were in it were fairly grassy and not the type of hops that I like in my IPAs. It was easy to drink, but not something that I would probably want again.

09-19-2012 01:03:21 | More by jaasen64
blakelive784

12 oz can served in a standard pint glass:

A - Pours a transparent copper color with a 1.5 finger head of decent cream. The head recedes rather quickly, but leaves a nice amount of lacing.

S - Sweet honey, musty hops, grapefruit and pine. Standard fare, though inviting.

T - Much maltier than expected. Sweet caramel opens, followed by some bittering hops. Less pronounced flavors than predicted by the nose. Bitter on the climax, but well balanced.

M - Smooth, and almost light bodied. Not traditional, but works well.

D - Decent overall, but not great. Doesn't embody the style very well at all.

11-11-2011 01:55:01 | More by blakelive784
Sheepdog

Arizona

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

A= As I drank from the can all I can tell you is that the can was different and very green.

S= Very hoppy spicy smell. I don't know if the aluminum can threw me off or not. Could definitely tell it was an IPA.

T= First taste threw me back a little. To me this was a very strong IPA for the little IBU it had. As it may be a true IPA I had a hard time swallowing it.

M= The finish killed this beer for me. It left a very oily pine cone taste in my mouth that I couldn't get rid of.

O= Not a bad beer for someone else. I like to call myself a Hophead but this beer is not for me.

11-28-2011 04:22:20 | More by Sheepdog
tjsdomer2

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

Appearance: Deceivingly pale for an IPA. Pretty decent foam and ok lacing. I would rate this lower, but the color is a nice element of trickery.

Smell: Basically wet hay with some citrus hops. I have definitely smelled better...and worse.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very crisp body, but the flavor is too mellow. Mostly hay and some faint lemon and pine.

Overall Drinkability: I was definitely disappointed with this.

03-04-2012 05:24:12 | More by tjsdomer2
Cresant

Kentucky

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured this 12 oz. can into a Sierra Nevada hops glass. No date. The body was semi-cloudy and bright cooper. One finger of manilla envelop colored head formed. When opened it sound flat, not much carbonation evident, but a vigorous pour created adequate head which remained throughout. Some lacing remained. The can art reflects the Ska culture.

Smell was piney and earthy. An organic rotting hay aroma.

Taste was grapefruit pith. Caramel sweetness was eclipsed by the hops which left a long lingering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was medium in body and had moderate carbonation.

07-31-2009 14:20:22 | More by Cresant
Alieniloquium

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

12 oz. can poured into an Allagash chalice.

Appearance - Copper with an off-white head. Nice head with good retention and nice rings of lace down the glass. A little dark.

Smell - Musty pine hops with a hint of grapefruit citrus. Toasty malts. No sweetness. Kind of a weak hop aroma.

Taste - Sweet caramel malt is significantly stronger than the hops. The pine and citrus play second fiddle. The bitterness is intense and lingering.

Mouthfeel - The bitterness at least covers some of that malt. It's not sweet, but there's nowhere near enough malt to back it up. It's pretty drinkable though, especially with food.

Overall - Nothing special. Nothing bad, either. More hops, please.

10-15-2012 00:17:35 | More by Alieniloquium
afksports

3.28/5  rDev -20.6%

Hmm. Cool can, man. But damn I'm all dried out. And it wasn't totally worth it. You see, I'm sitting here cooking some food (veggie sausage with peppers and onions) and thinking about all the good fist-pumping beers I've had. And then this Modus Hoperandi hops along and gets all up in my palate and I'm not Jersey Shorin' it anymore.

It looks fantastic-- deep amber hues the body as the lace takes over the glass and the head stays on top saying drink me. But the smell is less appealing, consisting of mostly pine and some sea / earth type of stuff. Maybe some grapefruit zest but hardly any citrus or malt. It tastes clean but drying. And that gets clingy. At 6.8% it goes down easy, but the cling of that hippy dryness isn't balanced, and I'm forced to think of ex-girlfriends.

I'll probably finish it. I mean, I'm pretty good at drinking beer. And although it definitely hits that dry hop head note, it's off key for me.

Still, it's not unredeemable, and there are some really well done parts to it - outside of the great label - so this beer settles right in there at average to slightly above.

Which is more than I can say for my cooking.

07-14-2011 01:11:28 | More by afksports
bayougutter

Louisiana

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a copper amber with about a finger off white head that settled to cap and left decent lacing.

The dominant smell is pine, then citrus. Also some grassy but mostly pine.

The taste is heavy on the pine as well, and very bitter. One dimensional in that the bitter pine taste overwhelms anything else trying to come through.

Light to medium body with good carbination

Overall I enjoyed this one as a change but can't get by the dominant pine taste to have regular.

07-26-2011 23:01:18 | More by bayougutter
illidurit

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can courtesy of scray24, poured into a pint glass. Brownish color with a lacy white head. Aroma of grass clippings, lychee, and bread, heavy on the malt overall. Flavor is similar, malt-forward especially with crystal and caramel, mild fruitiness. Hops? Please?

01-14-2012 07:21:49 | More by illidurit
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.3/5  rDev -20.1%

This is for Modus Hoperandi.

Appearance: Crimson brown copper with decent head and lacing. Not the color I was expecting.

Smell: Citrus hoppiness and tea leaves.

Taste: Strong hoppiness with caramel malts taking a backseat. Some tea and herbal flavors really dominate. Not overtly bitter, well done on that end. Some orange, grapefruit and pine sap.

Mouthfeel: Medium, almost thin, could use a touch more carbonation

Drinkability: The odd tea element ruined this one, I might have had an off can.

12-28-2010 03:17:25 | More by craytonic
Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.