Modus Hoperandi - Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: GilGarp on 03-03-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Modus Hoperandi Alström Bros

4.15/5  rDev +1%

I had seen this one around for a while, but for some reason just never thought much about it. I picked it up on a mixed six pack deal at a grocery store as a filler beer. Just to try something new. I was happy I did this was a pleasant surprise and if I ever caught it on sale I would buy it, I actually got a better deal mixing the six pack than had I purchased any of the beers as a package, but I digress...

Appearance: solid IPA, straw yellow, not a ton of head, but balanced.

Smell: Hops were there but faint. More citrus, but not a strong flavor profile.

Taste: Much more flavor than expected from the bouquet. Floral hops, some pine but not as much as others, citrus zest. Nice and crisp too. I attribute this to the can. Please for god sake other breweries start canning more beer, especially ales!

Overall: I enjoyed this beer and like I said if I caught it for $8 or $9 a six pack I would get it again for sure. I really lucked up with this one, because the store had a mixed sixpack deal for $9.99 and I got two of these, three breakfast stouts and a Three Philosophers. So I scored.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Had originally sampled this IPA a couple years ago and have had it ranked on my #1 IPA shelf for quite some time. It is time to officially review it and see if it will stay on the top shelf. Aroma is very hoppy and floral...definitely a west coast IPA smell. Good balance between malt and hops but the hops hit first and the malt follows. The malt is smooth, slightly caramelly and bready/grainy...not too sweet although it has a sweet aroma to it. This is a very nice IPA and will remain on my top IPA shelf. Some reviewers mentioned a metallic taste from the can, I poured this into a glass and did not taste any metallic flavors.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

A big thanks to jdhowe for bringing this out from Colorado. Freshness date is listed at the bottom side of the can as "May 05 14." Cracked this open about a week ago.

One of the darkest, reddish-amber IPAs since Surly Furious immediately graced my glass, with a gigantic head that rose all the way to the top, almost overflowing, when poured gently. Took a while for the frothy, off-white looking head to dissipate, but when it did, it didn't really leave behind too much stickiness. Definitely strives to be stellar, but I've started to notice that this appearance is pretty common to a lot of IPAs from Colorado.

Smells unbelievably refreshing, with intense grapefruit, pine, and blood orange immediately hitting my nostrils. Those were the main aromas throughout, but I definitely picked on some pear and apple notes as well. Light white pepper, sage, and light tropical notes that I'm finding difficult to define. I'm honestly blaming the malt profile there, which is relatively sweet and earthy, evoking caramel and toffee, as well as some nice biscuit notes throughout. Not too complex, but a wonderful pleasure is certain respects - nothing harsh or too intense, as an IPA aroma should be.

The flavor is pretty much the same here, and it's good enough for me that it ended up as such. Big grapefruit, pine, and orange, with a strong malt backbone delivering caramel and toffee to the fullest form. Sage, pepper, and light pineapple follows soon after to deliver some extra sweetness, but the finish is more pine and bitter toasted grains, which keeps things interesting and cleanse the palate appropriately for the next sip. It's definitely malt forward, and while the hop phenols do dominate, the malt thickness adds a creamy, bready characteristic that makes this highly drinkable, while still putting the hop oils at ease. Never feels thin or lacking in carbonating. Really refreshing, and definitely has top potential to be food-friendly.

What a delicious IPA - others I've had in the past from Colorado have been too malty, but this is particular found the right balance without merely stacking itself as a "dry-hopped pale ale." It's definitely similar to a good quality West Coast IPA, but it retains its own regional charm to great success. I would love to have a 6-pack around the house every once in a while, but too bad the distro laws concerning Colorado beer are so strange out here...

2.76/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Iv bought this beer twice (2 separate occasions), and both times it was well before the "best by" date on the bottom of the can. Both times it's smelled and tasted old and malty. This one is not for me and I won't be trying a 3rd go with it.

3.82/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tasted On: 04-17-2014
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. can
Glassware: Shaker pint
Purchased: Received from a friend

Mostly clear amber beer with an offwhite head. The creamy head has very good retention as well as the lacing.

Aromas have floral and piney hops plus a little malty sweetness.

Flavors are firstly of piney hop bitterness, with tropical fruits like pineapple in support. Finally there's a little dose of caramel malt sweetness.

Body is in between medium and full. The finish is dry and quite hoppy, with some astringency as a detraction.

Overall a powerful IPA, very good but marred somewhat by astringency.

Thank you goes out to Craig for bringing me this

4.49/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.