Modus Hoperandi - Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 03-03-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Modus Hoperandi Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

12 oz can poured into DFH signature glass - best by 3/11/11

Pours a hazed copper orange with some darker hues. Smaller white head fades quickly into spotty film with rings and patches of lacing on the glass.

A thick dose of sweeter malt in the nose quickly followed by some pine hops.

Slightly sweet up front, touches of caramel and slightly roasted malt. Grapefruit hop bitterness with ruby red juiciness and blood orange. Doughy malt, slightly syrupy with honey. Bittersweet hoppiness towards the finish.

Medium body, decent carbonation, a little dry and slightly chewy. Pretty quick, smooth drinking but I would have liked to see more hop profile and less malted sweetness.

xnicknj, Feb 04, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured from can into pint glass.

A: A hazy orange gold. This is an odd looking color, but it is not unatractive. Nice foamy head which stays with the beer as it is comsumed.

S: Sweet smell of citrus. Pineapple, orange, apricot and grapefruit. I love sweetness, only I question too much sweet in a beer. The sweetness is balanced with the crisp scent of pine and this beer smells beautiful.

T: Taste follows the sweet route. I cannot believe how much I am liking this right now. The strong citrus hops along with the pine, take the taste from sweet to bitter in moments. Each taste follows suit, and is a great experience. Enjoying this one a lot.

M: Medium body, each area of my tongue reacts to some flavor.

D: Excellent.

I tried this one in a bar the other night, and all I can say is, I am hooked. Sign me up. Next trip to the store, this is on the must buy list.

dali27, Jan 31, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

A- hazy dark gold with a one finger head that faded fast and had decent lacing

S- incredible pine aroma followed by a nice citrus hop and sweet malt push

T- very piney splash with a great balanced sweet back end. Very crisp

M- medium body with moderate carbonation. The pine resin coats the tongue

D- solid IPA. Always love it when I can get it!

imagese, Jan 31, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured this can into a standard pint.

An orange tinted copper brew with almost 2 fingers of white. Decent retention. Very nice lacing.

Smells dry. Some piney notes are big... Citrusy hop notes are a welcomed change of pace from the past 10 or so beers I've had lately!

I've had this one many times, was surprised I hadn't reviewed it. The flavor is very nice. Dry bready malts are a good start for a big hop punch... And niiice. Grapefruit and pine. Resin notes linger hard with a great deal of lasting bitterness.

Body is nice. Excellent carbonation and oily feel that coats my teeth with hoppy bitter goodness.

This is a damn fine IPA-- especially from a can. This would be a good IPA from a bottle too! Tasty and hoppy enough to satisfy my urges-- obediently and available enough to pick up whenever I want.

AleWatcher, Jan 31, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

12oz. can poured into a nonic. Thank you yet again, Beerwolf!

(A)- Pours a caramel amber color that produced a decent off-white yellow/tan colored head that dissipated eventually. Plenty of lacing involved.

(S)- Dry piney citrus of lemon and pineapple with a subtle caramel sweetness.

(T)- A good combo of minimal sweet caramel-like malts with dry piney citrus.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Smooth malts and dry piney hops. A present bitterness.

(D)- A good IPA, nothing extraordinary or unique, but definitely works for a hop fix. A no-nonsense beer easy to drink and enjoy when looking for the style its in.

sweemzander, Jan 28, 2011

Pours a nice reddish shade of dark amber with a decent head and good lacing. Lots of hops in the nose that range from grapefruit citrus to pine notes, but plenty of caramel malt flavor is present as well along with some bubble gum like fruit esters.

Full bodied for an IPA, though the carbonation level seems to be good, with quite a bit of sweetness that rides through to the end. Hops are assertive, but never overpower the malt backbone. A bit of alcohol is also present in the finish.

Overall, a good IPA that I have actually had sitting in my fridge for a few months. Even though I am drinking it before it's "best before" date, I definitely remember it being hoppier (and better) for an IPA. Still, a damn good brew. And hey, who wouldn't like to be sipping on a nice canned IPA where you cannot take glass?

AustinBeerLvr, Jan 21, 2011

A: rust colored, medium clarity, nice wisps of bubbly head here and there that, some lacing.

S: strong grassy, citrusy hops with a sweet malty underbelly.

T: lots of citrus, sour as lemon juice, grassy earthy pine, super duper bitter.

M: good carbonation, medium body, smooth and creamy.

D: if being able to drink many of these at a sitting is a measure of a beer's drinkability, I'd say this one excels.

nickhiller, Jan 15, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

A: Small white head. Decent lacing. Dark golden color that is transparent.

S: Holy hops! I'm getting some great citrus hops. Pine in the background. Good balance. Sweetness is there, but again, the hops rein SUPREME.

T: Piney, citrus hops again. Grassy, earthy dryness. My mouth is puckering from the bitterness and dryness.

M: Full in the mouth with big carbonation. Very dry, bitter, and not overly thick.

O: A fairly solid hop bomb. Decent balance but this beer definitely focuses onthe hop biterness and flavor. If in the mood to have your palate ruined, give it a try.

rrski198, Jan 14, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

To start, Modus Hoperandi is probably one of my favorite beers served in a can. Poured this guy into a Pisgah Brewing pint glass and could smell the piney citrus/grapefruit right off the bat.

Those citrus pine notes continued once tasted....quite bitter on the finish which I like. This guy is a sipper!

All in all, a great value. 6pack of cans cost $9.99 in Charlotte, NC.

charlotteBeerMan, Jan 12, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Beer is a nice light amber color with a beige head that lingers nicely. Smell is great: lots of floral hops with some citrus and bread. Taste is excellent: it's complex and hoppy with a nice floral yet bitter finish. Mouthfeel is good; it's nicely carbonated and quite drinkable. All in all, an excellent IPA. Flavorful hops, aggressive but not overpowering.

DoreenAndDave, Jan 11, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -35.1%

A: orange in color with a one finger white head that had moderate retention and lacing.

S: I don't get much on the nose, there's a little bit of lemon zest and citrus, but not much.

T: I have had this beer on two separate occassions and found it to be quite soapy both times. The hops are not balanced and not plesant. It is very bitter up front, but only soapy in the aftertaste.

M: Nice level of carbonation and viscosity, but not a very good aftertaste.

D: I wouldn't want more than one of these in a night. There are so many better IPAs out there.

glazeman, Jan 09, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a nice frothy thick off white head. Golden hazy body. Huge citrus, fruity(mango, pineapple, lime). This is one of the best smelling beers I've had. The strength, note quite the same flavors, of this beer smell compares to "Flower Power", "Ghandi-Bot" and "Un-Earthy". Tastes of pale sweet dextrins, citrus, tobacco, oily slick sticky bitterness in the finish. Very chewy and full bodied. Medium carbing. I want to enjoy a few of these at a time. Thank you Mike for sharing.

Homebrew35, Jan 09, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -20.1%

This is for Modus Hoperandi.

Appearance: Crimson brown copper with decent head and lacing. Not the color I was expecting.

Smell: Citrus hoppiness and tea leaves.

Taste: Strong hoppiness with caramel malts taking a backseat. Some tea and herbal flavors really dominate. Not overtly bitter, well done on that end. Some orange, grapefruit and pine sap.

Mouthfeel: Medium, almost thin, could use a touch more carbonation

Drinkability: The odd tea element ruined this one, I might have had an off can.

craytonic, Dec 28, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to Santa Adam for this. I poured the can into a Sam Adams pint glass and was greeted with a good three finger off white head that just stuck around. The body of the brew was a hazy orange amber in color. I got a ton of hop aromas from this one tons of floral and pine notes. The flavor was bitter and grassy not much in the way of malts showing up in it at all. It was almost oily to the mouth with good carbonation. I could drink a couple of these but I don't know how many more than that due to the bitterness

joepais, Dec 27, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

A- Bronze to amber hue, medium head.

S- Cirtus and pine hops all up in the nose, earthy malt background.

T: Great... Citrus and pine hop flavors dominate up front, some caramel malt and bitter finish.

M: Medium light, decent carbonation.

D: WINNER. I keep a sixer of this in my fridge at all times. Great session beer, great to just sip on and enjoy. Stand up to any IPA blow for blow. Just a pleasure to drink.

DPFRD, Dec 24, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

A flip, a tumble, and then a cascade down, like so many raindrops down a glinting metal slide in the summer sun, the suds a-gurgling
the bubbles floating lazily, popping in the torrent only to reform just-so
such a strange thing, the pouring rain in the golden afternoon sunshine, galoshes a-plopping about and the smallish bubbles leaving a coating, a sheet as it were, the beauty and one expects only just to see a rainbow
A Cascade and a fresh pine-tree just broken off at the top by the earlier, as the sap comes just a-dribbling
jogging, ever so slowly as it tries to catch itself, the dense aroma of just-so greenery in a heavy, plodding sort of way, though bright as this afternoon sunshine which glows
golden, a green gold, this, honeysuckle and green leavery, as the raindrops glisten off of every bit of evergreen still stood out against the warm golden sky

A flavour unique, just of the dense green shifting this way and that across the tongue, caressing the tastebuds in a glamorous
flashy
yet wholesome and genuine display of frasier fir body with the grandness of the mildest touch of grapefruit and a sensible measure of background dewdrop sweetness to keep the wheels a-turning and the leaves just a-swaying and a-bending beneath the weight of all that water as it glistens
in the sun
Clean, just right
just a perfect balance and one could have one
after another
after another
but there is only one as the slinking grandeur of this altogether delectable
greenery
and the utter refreshment of just simply gulping
and enjoying the green
gold
rain
in a sunshiney rainstorm.

khiasmus, Dec 21, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +7.7%

A beautiful orange-amber color, slightly cloudy, one finger head and fine lacing that sticks.

Piney, floral citrus hops dominate the smell, with just a touch of background malts and earthy aromas.

Tastes lovely, piney citrus hops is dominant, but a flowery, almost lilac flavor seems to dance behind the ample malt base.

Seems to be mildly carbonated for the style resulting in a creamy mouthfeel, but still smooth and tasty going down, with just enough zest to make me want more. A mildly bitter, hoppy aftertaste lingers.

Drink is off the scale. Even my less discerning but nevertheless adventurous beer lover friends like this one.

GREAT beer, hands down one of my top three favorite canned beers, and in fact a favorite in any container. I like to give this one as an extra for trades these days. Highly recommended.

AlCaponeJunior, Dec 14, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

From notes:
Look: More yellow than amber with a thick off-white head. The lacing is great but it looks more like a lager.
Smell: Citrus hops are right up front but there is something in the background that is a bit unpleasant and I can't quite put my finger on it.
Taste: Very citric, very earthy with some caramel maltiness to round it out.
Mouth: Thick and sticky. A little nasty by the end. It needs to be mellowed out a little bit.
Drink: Not bad. I was in Colorado trying out some CO brew and this didn't quite hit the top of my charts, but it was decent.

OBeerMeGreatOne, Dec 13, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 12oz. aluminum can into a tulip pint glass.

A - Deep orange amber with a frothy, off-white head that stuck around for ages. Slightly hazy.

S - Very floral hops, sweet citrus fruit, and pine. Malt is noticeable, not in the fore or background, but just sort of "there."

T - Follows through from the smell. One of the most genuinely "citrusy" IPAs I've had. Grapefruit rounded out with bitter hops and a brief sweet malt influence. Slightly bready aftertaste.

M - Medium-bodied with a decent bit of stickiness. Flavors remain in the mouth for a quite a while after swallowing. Slight warming alcohol in the stomach.

D - A great IPA that was a bit of a surprise. This is the first beer I've had from Ska, and the (somewhat gimmicky) name didn't have me expecting much, but this is a fantastically drinkable IPA. Highly recommended.

NefariousR, Dec 12, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

As always, Ska gets this disclosure: It is currently my favorite brewery in the country, and Modus has become my standard. When I'm out, if I see it, I buy it.

APPEARANCE: Brilliant, crystal clear, deep copper with a fluffy, perfectly white, quarter-inch head. Of course, it is all poured out of one of the best looking containers on the market, the nearly solid green can. Excellent layered lacing. Sort of reminded me of an archeological dig - each layer of perfectly preserved lacing represented a sip.

SMELL: Not your typical IPA, hoppy nose to be sure, but a much more earthy and grassy smell than most IPAs.

TASTE: This is not a sweet IPA - the clear focus is on the hops, not the malt that many brewers try to cut it with. Not sure exactly how many IBUs this one is (one BAer says 65), but you can rest assured each one will be experienced in this bitter, but completely drinkable beer. A very bitter, earthy and hoppy beer leaving just the faintest of citrus-flavored aftertaste. A hophead's delight.

MOUTHFEEL: Somewhat oily, but with a nice sparkle to it. As with almost everything else Ska does, the mouthfeel of the Modus Hoperandi is well balanced. Refreshing as it is delicious.

OVERALL: What more can I say? This is my standard beer at the moment. Good thing they're served in 12oz. cans is these things came in bombers it might be trouble...kind of like the Decedent.

StoneTSR, Dec 07, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Brilliant yellow to gold. One finger of tight white head, slowly dissipating to a fine lace. Good carbonation. Not too light or too dark, the way you would imagine an IPA should look.
S: Hop forward for sure, grapefruit and pine with a hint of spice/pepper. A faint malt aroma. Malt bill is not too complex on this one.
T: Just like the smell, best IPA I have had. It has a quality that all great bears have, and that is being two or more things at the same time. This is bitter yet smooth somehow. All the bitter citrus and spice, not muddied up with too much malt and cut with the right amount of alcohol.
M: Light and crisp, great tingle. Highly hopped without burning tooth enamel off.
D Highly, could drink this all day long. Very balanced. It is great that Ska continues to package great beer in cans without losing any quality.

bishopgary, Dec 07, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Wish I could find this beer in a store somewhere.

This is the best tasting IPA that I have ever had. Perfect drinkability. I like it because it's bitter but somehow smooth at the same time.

I went into the restaurant specifically because the Ska site said it was carried there. The waitress told me they were out. So I had another un-remarkable beer that was OK. The she came back with the green can and said "look what I found"....there were smiles.

Went very well with my greasy burger and hand cut fries.

photomancottrell, Dec 04, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

This beer was poured a rich coppery red color with a thin white head that cleared to a fine lace.

The scent was pine-y, and reminded me of a milder Green Flash IPA. Nice scent for sure, exactly what I would want out of a good IPA.

Unfortunately, the taste did not live up to the name. "Modus Hoperandi" had me pumped up for a really intense IPA, and this wasn't quite what I expected. Not weak by any means, but not the punch I was looking for. Keep in mind that I must be pretty inured to strong hops by now, because my fellow taster found it fairly strong. However, a great beer for its price: it was cheaper than the vast majority of good IPAs on the menu at the pub I was patronizing.

The mouthfeel was nice. Not sticky, not watery, but just right. As far as drinkability, they could have served this in a pint glass instead of a 10oz. I would have enjoyed a full glass.

withliterature, Nov 28, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -7.3%

chalk up another excellent ipa in a can. after having been drinking racer 5 pretty regularly for the past few months, i got an opportunity to branch off. thanks to oakedcanuck for this one.
A. just how youd hope. pours with an inch, inch and a half cloud white head. disappears after a short while. slightly cloudy amber, its an attractive looking beer.
S. dont laugh, (well go ahead and laugh) i accidentaly stuck my nose in the froth, and got a huge whiff of ripe, pleasant citrus. it kind of accentuated the smell. just a little bit of pine rounds it out.
T. its like a slightly tamed west coast ipa. each aspect is just slightly muted, not in a bad way.
M. its up there with the other greats in the sense that it just overtakes your mouth and makes it happy. love the hop presence but want just a little more.
D. i can kill several in a row, and will without being exhausted from the hops. its fresh tasting and yummy.
wish i had more regular access to it, and will enjoy it just the same whenever it comes back around.

Kkottonmouthkngz, Nov 27, 2010

12oz can poured into SA perfect pint.

Thanks to MilwaukeeCrusher for another beer I have been wanting to try.

A- Pours a reddish apricot with a nice finger and half worth of head that leaves a good cap on the beer. The head also leaves good lacing along the side of the glass. Just the slightest bit of haze.

S- Big bursts of citrusy hops and some sweet biscuit and malt. I can pick up a little bit of yeast to go along with a little bit of orange rind. Reminds me of a stronger NG Moon Man.

T- Hops, hops and more hops. Tropical and bitter but not palate crushing. As much as the hops stick out initially, the malt is not completely hidden. The bready character is still present as well.

M- Medium bodied with bubbly carbonation with a sharp hop bite. Just a little dry on the finish.

D- I have been waiting to try this beer for a while now and I was not disappointed. Great hop profile but not unbalanced. Another beer in a can that will change the stigma.

Wisconsinality, Nov 27, 2010
Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.