Modus Hoperandi - Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 03-03-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Modus Hoperandi Alström Bros
Brent

Kentucky

Let's hear it for good beer in a can! Nice, bright IPA with plenty of citrus and pine notes in the hops. Body was moderate, with a slightly sweet character. ETOH was well blended in the flavor profile, with just a touch of pepper at the finish. A very pleasant and easy to drink beer.

09-27-2010 21:12:20 | More by Brent
Cheesemoose

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured very syrupy out of the can into my pint glass. About an inch of head that turns into a nice film with good lacing.

Strong, citrusy, piney hop aroma. Very inviting, with a trace of sweetness.

Taste has a big hop flavor on the front of the palate leading to a course down the tongue, where the malts try to seep up, but are beaten back again thanks to a rebirth of the hops. Citrus is the predominant hop flavor.

Carbonation is mild, with only a slight tinge of alcohol as it warms. Very drinkable and a great canned IPA, no doubt.

09-25-2010 04:25:07 | More by Cheesemoose
daliandragon

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

Neat looking can caught my eye at Whole Foods the other day. I haven't seen much Ska lately so it's good to see that they are still kicking. Modus pours a golden orange color with sticky beige head retreating but leaving lots of frosty lace behind. Aroma wise it's a tasty but not haltingly strong grapefruit and pine combo.

Balanced and a little understated, this one levels off and follows through nicely. Some caramel malt shows up early but its the pine that stays on the roof of your mouth a minute or more after the sip. Good taste but outstanding aftertaste. Not a hop bomb as I expected but pleasant and enough bitterness for all but the true hop addicts. Probably not my first choice for sessioning but I'd defionitely look for it again.

09-25-2010 01:52:47 | More by daliandragon
EgadBananas

Louisiana

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

Clear, medium copper in color, with a good finger.5 of soapy head, leaving nice lacing.

The aroma is a pleasant bouquet of earth, pine needles/cones, with a sprinkling of sweet citrus.

Bitterness is stark and sharp, stabbing the back of my tongue. Conversely, a bit of bittersweet citrus caresses the front. As a whole, it's very woodsy, and floral. Seems like a nice combo of hops here. There is a bit of a malt backbone the helps this thing not be completely one-sided.

The feel is a tad slick, and a tad under-carbonated. Body is pushing medium, which is okay, but a slight carbonation bite would do the trick.

Pretty stellar drinkability.
This is a solid IPA, and bonus points for the can!

09-25-2010 00:03:10 | More by EgadBananas
jmp485

Wisconsin

Got this one in a package as an extra from emmasdad. This one was already on my radar and he kept from having to trade for it blindly.

Poured into a SA perfect pint

Smell is full of aromatic hop aromas. A little pine and grapefruit in there too. So far so good.

My perfect pint glass looked like something out of a commercial, 1 1/2 inches of foamy off-white to beige head and a rich coppery orange color.

You can taste the freshness of the hops in this. Piney and slightly sticky. Lots of grapefruit so I assume there's a bit of amarillo in the mix.

Mouthfeel is fairly clean. Nice bitterness without going overboard, lingering sticky aftertaste. Haven't had a sip in over 10 minutes and I still feel the tickle in the back of my throat.

Overall this was a very nice IPA which reminds me of a hoppier version of New Glarus Moon Man. I will be sure to look for in trades. Would love to see it distributed into Wisconsin, but was glad to have tried it.

Thanks Dan

09-24-2010 02:56:49 | More by jmp485
atsprings

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz bottle into a DFH Signature glass pours a crisp bubbly deep orange with a nice frothy off white head that diminishes to a thin layer and leaves slight lacing on the glass. Aroma is a nice amount of pine and citrus hops with sweet caramel malts. The taste is a nice amount of pine hops with a strong backbone of burnt caramel malts that leaves a nice lingering pine hop finish. The beer is medium bodied with nice carbonation and slight dryness. This is a very enjoyable canned beer, one I may be buying more often for the canned convenience.

09-23-2010 02:25:50 | More by atsprings
obireidkenobi

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

I love that craft beer is adopting cans more and more. That said,
this IPA really blew me away. This fresh hop nose really got me on board quickly.

Lots of pine in the nose, flavor follows suit. Caramel malt is the backbone of this IPA and balances very well.

It's very drinkable, the flavors really pop with this beer - pine, grapefruit, pineapple.

Excellent example of an IPA in can.

09-19-2010 20:57:38 | More by obireidkenobi
champ103

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

A: Pours a copper/orange color. A two finger white head forms at first, but recedes in a second. Some sticky lace is left behind.
S: Big citrus aromas up front. Lots of floral and grassy hops that I really like. A bit of spiciness as well. A light piny and resinous aroma, and some sweetness rounds everything out. Tons of hops with a light sweetness.
T: There is a nice citrus, floral, and grassy flavor that I like. Though the resinous pine just takes over a little to much with a lingering bitterness. Some sweetness as well.
M/D: A medium to full body with good carbonation. There is a dryness that I really like. Crisp and smooth at the same time. It is sticky and syrupy. Not hard to drink. Though the sticky and syrupy consistency keeps this from being a beer I will come back to again and again.

I do enjoy this. A really good American IPA. There are lots of hop flavors going on. It does get a bit over barring, however. I can see why hop heads enjoy this. Overall, not my favorite though still enjoyable. Even for a malt head.

09-19-2010 03:58:01 | More by champ103
drabmuh

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Beer is amber and clear with a big head and mod carb.

Super pine aroma. Nice.

Medium body, chewy hops, nice bitterness. Wow, I am impressed. This is probably the best IPA from a can I've ever had. Its definitely of the piny variety but simcoe is a good hop too. Well done ska.

09-18-2010 01:16:28 | More by drabmuh
brewerburgundy

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

12oz can, goblet, best by date of 01/26/11.

This IPA is a deep sunset orange with wheat and tequila highlights, quite gorgeous. The topping is an equally nice two-finger dark eggshell head that fades but drapes some thick lace on the glass.

Orange and grapefruit peel, pear, and some honey sweetness. This is not a dominant nose.

Caramel and honey malt, orange and orange peel, grapefruit pith, with a solid bitterness. Things seem muted, leading me to believe this can is not as fresh as I believed. Rosemary in the finish.

The feel is lightly resinous with a moderate body, so actually right where it should be for this type of IPA.

As a drinkable IPA, this is probably right in the sweet spot. It has good, if standard, American IPA flavors, weighs in under seven percent abv, and is not a palate wrecker (as tasty as those are).

09-15-2010 01:21:31 | More by brewerburgundy
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

Thanks to emmasdad for this one. Best by 2-9-11 so this must be pretty fresh!

Poured into surly pint.

I crack the can and I instantly smell hops! Craft beer from the can ftw.

Pours 1 finger of beige head. Fades to a thick ring. Leaves some lace along the way. Color is a copper hued orange.

Aroma: Lots of pine hops and citrus flavors. Grapefruit and pineapple flavors. Some caramel malt. As it warms a touch, I get some apricot flavors. Pretty solid! Very fresh.

Taste: Fresh pine hops up front. Very earthy. A decent amount of sticky sweet citrus shows as well. Big grapefruit and a bit of pineapple like in the nose. The end finishes with some caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, but ever so smooth and refreshing. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends sticky with a hop resin taste. Awesome feel to it.

Overall, this ipa is legit! This is very drinkable and something I would like to see around here. Reminds me a bit of furious with the caramel malts (more of a midwest ipa). I am very happy to have tried this one.

Thanks Dan for an awesome beer!

09-15-2010 00:10:24 | More by mothman
CampusCrew

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Had this beer at Meddlesome Moth while traveling in Dallas. It poured golden with some amberish glows. Had a Low nose bt I did detect some grassy-earhty aromas from the hops. Balanced. The beer was an explosion of hoppy flavors and more on the Grassy, Earthy side. Kinda of made it taste like Belgian yeast was added.

09-14-2010 23:17:09 | More by CampusCrew
jammalamma

New Hampshire

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Got this one in a package as an extra thanks to xpimptastikx - great! Cant beat fresh IPA!!
Im also a huge fan of IPA's in cans, they keep better/fresher.

Smells good but nothing over the top. Citrusy hops, grapefruit, light orange and pine needle.

Looks like its going to a malty one by it's rich brown color (which is less to my liking), but to my delight its med bodied, crisp, nice balanced malts with a great fresh hop taste.

Love to have this one in my corner store, sadly Ill have to trade to get more

09-07-2010 20:42:14 | More by jammalamma
IndolentReader

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

I picked this up on sale (American IPAs are probably my favorite brews). What a great find! Cool can, even cooler taste. This isn't the type of beer that I could drink three in a row, but it sure is tasty. I highly recommend for the price I paid ($6.99 for the six pack, but that seems a bit low, after hunting around). Just a solid IPA.

09-04-2010 22:22:06 | More by IndolentReader
klikger

Wisconsin

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Can poured into a Goose Island IPA tulip

A - Medium to dark amber with a touch of red. Very minimal head and lacing.

S - Some citrus and caramel. Not that much, though. My allergies, perhaps?

T - Grapefruit, pineapple, and pine trees up front, with a bit of earthy, grainy malts and caramel introduced shortly thereafter. The end is bitter and full of hop flavor.

M - Crisp, acidic, and lively.

D - Good. About average for hoppy IPAs, but this is still good.

Very tasty IPA - glad I could try it! There are other Colorado IPAs which I prefer...Odell, Titan, and some of Oskar's stuff come to mind...but if I lived there, I'd still buy this on a regular basis.

09-04-2010 20:23:42 | More by klikger
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Served from can into a Lambda Epsilon Omega Nu imperial pint. Poured a clear copper with a two finger off-white head that subsided to minimal slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout. The aroma was comprised of malt, pine resin, and hops. The flavor was of hops, flower petals, malt, and citrus. It had a medium feel on the palate with lots of carbonation. Overall this was a nice IPA from a can. It had a lot of nice flavors going on in this one that I was not expecting at all. The citrus and flower petal in this one were very refreshing. This one is a must try if you ever get the opportunity.

09-02-2010 18:41:18 | More by thagr81us
crossovert

3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

12 oz can best by 01/09/11, I much prefer when IPas have canned on dates.

It pours a deep caramel amber color with a foamy and creamy off white head that seems to stick forever.

The smell is good, but not spectacular. It has a lot of tropical fruit notes along with some herbal, grassy bitterness. It has a moderate sweet smell.

The taste is also good but not super amazing. It is pretty watery for the style. But it does have a nice hop flavor and a decent hop bitterness. The hops are perhaps a bit too grassy and vegetal though, the tropical flavor isn't carried over. There is some pineyness but it seems off. It doesn't seem to have a proper malt bill as ti ends up tasting like hoppy water.

The mouthfeel is way to under carbonated and watery for the style.

It is middle of the road for IPAs.

09-01-2010 22:04:13 | More by crossovert
OlRasputin989

Arkansas

3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured into a pint from 12 oz can...

A: Pours a big, thick head that looks like meringue. leaves alot of sticky lacing. sits above a very clear, coppery brew.

S: a minty pine, ruby red grapefruit, and metallic caramel aroma, also some sweet mango

T: mimics the aroma, minty and piney again, with some lemon pepper bitterness, and a mettallic caramel and grilled mango finish

M: a medium full body with a fizzy, resiny, and sticky feeling. finishes dry

Overall, I honestly was excited to try an ipa from a can. This one wasn't the worst by far, but the metallic characteristic carried throughout the flavor profile. Maybe worth a try straight from the can.

09-01-2010 03:48:28 | More by OlRasputin989
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: The beer poured a clear, coppery gold with an incredible, fluffy off white head. Lacing was present throughout the sort life of this brew.

Smell: Wonderful hints of grapefruit and pine.

Taste: A nice bready maltiness with hints of grapefruit, mint citrus and pine. Nice bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Nice creamy, medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: Damn this is a great well balanced IPA. The bitterness from the hops is balanced extremely well with the malts. Very easy drinking IPA.

08-31-2010 19:04:46 | More by Beerbuddha
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

I've had this beer on my wants list foreeeever, thanks to phillyswear for hooking it up with a great box of beers. 12oz can into Newport Storm pint glass.

A- Caramel in color, a nice orange/ruby hue with a sandy off-white head that's 3 fingers and endless. Thick, cake-frosting lacing on this one. Wow.

S- Very hoppy, fruity, tangerine and clementine. Great bouquet here.

T- This reminds me of Red Racer IPA in flavor, although this one has more of an orangey/mint thing going on. The finish is decidedly minty and herbal, which compliments the citrus sweetness.

M- Nice body, good carbonation, no issues here.

D- If I had access to it, I'd have a fridge full of it. Worth seeking out if you like IPAs- this is a stellar beer.

08-30-2010 22:56:24 | More by ShogoKawada
johnnytfresh245

Missouri

3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

I've left my original review below but I have changed my ratings after tasting the beer again.

The smell was the the biggest change in the beer this time around. I got a resiny piny character that I liked and there was no diacetyl that I could smell.

I had this beer in a blind taste test so I didn't know what I was having.

When I saw this beer I was excited because it looked a rich amber color and a nice light tan head. The smell was horrible though. I was expecting a rich hoppy smell but what I got was diacetyl and cheesy hops. The can could have been old but that wouldn't explain the diacetyl. I was incredibly let down by this beer.

I would be incredibly hesitant to ever try this again.

08-27-2010 20:02:30 | More by johnnytfresh245
ffejherb

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%

On tap at Falling Rock Tap House in Denver, CO on 8/12/10.

A - Slightly hazy reddish amber with copper hues and a tight, creamy white head that deposited some frosty, icy lace all around the glass. Head retained well and flared up with each swirl of the glass. Carbonation bubbles reminded me of a fishtank filter.

S - Citrus hops paired with grainy malt notes. Pretty straight-forward IPA nose, actually. Over time, a hint of spicy pepper and mild alcohol notes emerged.

T - Flavor incorporates floral and citrus hops with just a hint of metallic tin, but not too off-putting overall. Malt is sweet with hints of caramel and bread. Finishes with dry herbal tones in the backend, resulting in a lingering hop bite.

M - Medium bodied with a slight syrupy, though untilately kind of watery, texture. Dry and hoppy. Finishes with dry, lingering bitterness on the palate.

D - Above average IPA in the grand scheme of things. Hop profile is a bit all over the map, but ultimately this is pretty tasty.

08-23-2010 18:51:27 | More by ffejherb
Gambrinus1184

Connecticut

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12-ounce can into a SA pint glass.

A: Poured a nice, deep copper amber color with a chilled haze and a one-finger head of creamy off-white foam which didn't leave much of a lace but retained itself pretty well.

S: Full on hop resins; fresh hop leaf, citrus rinds, spicy pine and grapefruit. Smells great!

T: A mellow, candied floral and fruity malted ale flavor strikes initially, but the palate is really dominated by the West-coast hop attack. The beer focuses on hops for sure, and it delivers. Loads of lush and bitter citrus and oily resins coat the palate and finishes with a slightly sweet and malty flavor to round off that bitterness.

M: Full bodied mouthfeel and some spicy, sticky palates left by those oily hop resins.

D: A good West-coast styled IPA with a lotta hop gumption. The near 7% ABV and super-hopped flavors mean I would only be able to have a couple before going after a water if I wanted to taste anything else that day. Good IPA, might be a palate killer for some, but certainly worth a try.

08-22-2010 19:44:38 | More by Gambrinus1184
birchstick

Colorado

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

A - pours a light caramely brown with a huge head

S - there is a reason Hoperandi is part of this beer's name - loads of piney hops with some bready malt

T - the taste is loads of bitter, piney hops with a little bit of grapefruit mixed in. The bready malts serve as the base from which the hops launch. Not bad a bad little IPA.

M - nice and full with a good amount of carbonation

D - this is a solid IPA...the only flaw I see in it is that it is a tad bit bitter for my liking. Glad I picked this up;I am excited for the rest of the sampler pack.

08-21-2010 22:58:33 | More by birchstick
homebrew311

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

A: dark tan, transparent, thick white foamy head with moderate lacing, some head retention

S: nice fresh hop profile is prevalent, notes of grapefruit, pine, and earthiness are on the front. Some funky dank notes in there as well.

T: nice bright hoppy notes on the front with some sweet fruity notes as well as some earthy tea notes,, this is followed by a modest bready malt profile, very well balanced

MF: nice light body, medium to high carbonation

D: another great IPA from the can. I can never get enough of these! At 7.99 a 6er (on sale) this is simply a magnificent deal. I would definitely recommend this to others.

08-19-2010 03:45:45 | More by homebrew311
Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.