Modus Hoperandi - Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 03-03-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Modus Hoperandi Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Had this beer at Meddlesome Moth while traveling in Dallas. It poured golden with some amberish glows. Had a Low nose bt I did detect some grassy-earhty aromas from the hops. Balanced. The beer was an explosion of hoppy flavors and more on the Grassy, Earthy side. Kinda of made it taste like Belgian yeast was added.

CampusCrew, Sep 15, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Got this one in a package as an extra thanks to xpimptastikx - great! Cant beat fresh IPA!!
Im also a huge fan of IPA's in cans, they keep better/fresher.

Smells good but nothing over the top. Citrusy hops, grapefruit, light orange and pine needle.

Looks like its going to a malty one by it's rich brown color (which is less to my liking), but to my delight its med bodied, crisp, nice balanced malts with a great fresh hop taste.

Love to have this one in my corner store, sadly Ill have to trade to get more

jammalamma, Sep 07, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

I picked this up on sale (American IPAs are probably my favorite brews). What a great find! Cool can, even cooler taste. This isn't the type of beer that I could drink three in a row, but it sure is tasty. I highly recommend for the price I paid ($6.99 for the six pack, but that seems a bit low, after hunting around). Just a solid IPA.

IndolentReader, Sep 04, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -1%

Can poured into a Goose Island IPA tulip

A - Medium to dark amber with a touch of red. Very minimal head and lacing.

S - Some citrus and caramel. Not that much, though. My allergies, perhaps?

T - Grapefruit, pineapple, and pine trees up front, with a bit of earthy, grainy malts and caramel introduced shortly thereafter. The end is bitter and full of hop flavor.

M - Crisp, acidic, and lively.

D - Good. About average for hoppy IPAs, but this is still good.

Very tasty IPA - glad I could try it! There are other Colorado IPAs which I prefer...Odell, Titan, and some of Oskar's stuff come to mind...but if I lived there, I'd still buy this on a regular basis.

klikger, Sep 04, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Served from can into a Lambda Epsilon Omega Nu imperial pint. Poured a clear copper with a two finger off-white head that subsided to minimal slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout. The aroma was comprised of malt, pine resin, and hops. The flavor was of hops, flower petals, malt, and citrus. It had a medium feel on the palate with lots of carbonation. Overall this was a nice IPA from a can. It had a lot of nice flavors going on in this one that I was not expecting at all. The citrus and flower petal in this one were very refreshing. This one is a must try if you ever get the opportunity.

thagr81us, Sep 02, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -18%

12 oz can best by 01/09/11, I much prefer when IPas have canned on dates.

It pours a deep caramel amber color with a foamy and creamy off white head that seems to stick forever.

The smell is good, but not spectacular. It has a lot of tropical fruit notes along with some herbal, grassy bitterness. It has a moderate sweet smell.

The taste is also good but not super amazing. It is pretty watery for the style. But it does have a nice hop flavor and a decent hop bitterness. The hops are perhaps a bit too grassy and vegetal though, the tropical flavor isn't carried over. There is some pineyness but it seems off. It doesn't seem to have a proper malt bill as ti ends up tasting like hoppy water.

The mouthfeel is way to under carbonated and watery for the style.

It is middle of the road for IPAs.

crossovert, Sep 01, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured into a pint from 12 oz can...

A: Pours a big, thick head that looks like meringue. leaves alot of sticky lacing. sits above a very clear, coppery brew.

S: a minty pine, ruby red grapefruit, and metallic caramel aroma, also some sweet mango

T: mimics the aroma, minty and piney again, with some lemon pepper bitterness, and a mettallic caramel and grilled mango finish

M: a medium full body with a fizzy, resiny, and sticky feeling. finishes dry

Overall, I honestly was excited to try an ipa from a can. This one wasn't the worst by far, but the metallic characteristic carried throughout the flavor profile. Maybe worth a try straight from the can.

OlRasputin989, Sep 01, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: The beer poured a clear, coppery gold with an incredible, fluffy off white head. Lacing was present throughout the sort life of this brew.

Smell: Wonderful hints of grapefruit and pine.

Taste: A nice bready maltiness with hints of grapefruit, mint citrus and pine. Nice bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Nice creamy, medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: Damn this is a great well balanced IPA. The bitterness from the hops is balanced extremely well with the malts. Very easy drinking IPA.

Beerbuddha, Aug 31, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've had this beer on my wants list foreeeever, thanks to phillyswear for hooking it up with a great box of beers. 12oz can into Newport Storm pint glass.

A- Caramel in color, a nice orange/ruby hue with a sandy off-white head that's 3 fingers and endless. Thick, cake-frosting lacing on this one. Wow.

S- Very hoppy, fruity, tangerine and clementine. Great bouquet here.

T- This reminds me of Red Racer IPA in flavor, although this one has more of an orangey/mint thing going on. The finish is decidedly minty and herbal, which compliments the citrus sweetness.

M- Nice body, good carbonation, no issues here.

D- If I had access to it, I'd have a fridge full of it. Worth seeking out if you like IPAs- this is a stellar beer.

ShogoKawada, Aug 30, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -18%

I've left my original review below but I have changed my ratings after tasting the beer again.

The smell was the the biggest change in the beer this time around. I got a resiny piny character that I liked and there was no diacetyl that I could smell.

I had this beer in a blind taste test so I didn't know what I was having.

When I saw this beer I was excited because it looked a rich amber color and a nice light tan head. The smell was horrible though. I was expecting a rich hoppy smell but what I got was diacetyl and cheesy hops. The can could have been old but that wouldn't explain the diacetyl. I was incredibly let down by this beer.

I would be incredibly hesitant to ever try this again.

johnnytfresh245, Aug 27, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Falling Rock Tap House in Denver, CO on 8/12/10.

A - Slightly hazy reddish amber with copper hues and a tight, creamy white head that deposited some frosty, icy lace all around the glass. Head retained well and flared up with each swirl of the glass. Carbonation bubbles reminded me of a fishtank filter.

S - Citrus hops paired with grainy malt notes. Pretty straight-forward IPA nose, actually. Over time, a hint of spicy pepper and mild alcohol notes emerged.

T - Flavor incorporates floral and citrus hops with just a hint of metallic tin, but not too off-putting overall. Malt is sweet with hints of caramel and bread. Finishes with dry herbal tones in the backend, resulting in a lingering hop bite.

M - Medium bodied with a slight syrupy, though untilately kind of watery, texture. Dry and hoppy. Finishes with dry, lingering bitterness on the palate.

D - Above average IPA in the grand scheme of things. Hop profile is a bit all over the map, but ultimately this is pretty tasty.

ffejherb, Aug 23, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 12-ounce can into a SA pint glass.

A: Poured a nice, deep copper amber color with a chilled haze and a one-finger head of creamy off-white foam which didn't leave much of a lace but retained itself pretty well.

S: Full on hop resins; fresh hop leaf, citrus rinds, spicy pine and grapefruit. Smells great!

T: A mellow, candied floral and fruity malted ale flavor strikes initially, but the palate is really dominated by the West-coast hop attack. The beer focuses on hops for sure, and it delivers. Loads of lush and bitter citrus and oily resins coat the palate and finishes with a slightly sweet and malty flavor to round off that bitterness.

M: Full bodied mouthfeel and some spicy, sticky palates left by those oily hop resins.

D: A good West-coast styled IPA with a lotta hop gumption. The near 7% ABV and super-hopped flavors mean I would only be able to have a couple before going after a water if I wanted to taste anything else that day. Good IPA, might be a palate killer for some, but certainly worth a try.

Gambrinus1184, Aug 22, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

A - pours a light caramely brown with a huge head

S - there is a reason Hoperandi is part of this beer's name - loads of piney hops with some bready malt

T - the taste is loads of bitter, piney hops with a little bit of grapefruit mixed in. The bready malts serve as the base from which the hops launch. Not bad a bad little IPA.

M - nice and full with a good amount of carbonation

D - this is a solid IPA...the only flaw I see in it is that it is a tad bit bitter for my liking. Glad I picked this up;I am excited for the rest of the sampler pack.

birchstick, Aug 21, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

A: dark tan, transparent, thick white foamy head with moderate lacing, some head retention

S: nice fresh hop profile is prevalent, notes of grapefruit, pine, and earthiness are on the front. Some funky dank notes in there as well.

T: nice bright hoppy notes on the front with some sweet fruity notes as well as some earthy tea notes,, this is followed by a modest bready malt profile, very well balanced

MF: nice light body, medium to high carbonation

D: another great IPA from the can. I can never get enough of these! At 7.99 a 6er (on sale) this is simply a magnificent deal. I would definitely recommend this to others.

homebrew311, Aug 19, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -1%

Appearance is amber copper in color with decent clarity and nominal lacing.
Smells of citrus hoppy punch on a subtle but evident caramel malt sweet support.
Tastes as it smells with a citrus hoppy finish.
Surpassed my expectations as my first ska brew, been waiting awhile to try one, thanks PBC!

unclejimbay, Aug 18, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

A- Poured from a 12 oz can into a tulip shaped pint glass. Thick and heavy head (heavy because of my pour) and medium amber color.

S- Amazing aroma from this beer that is mostly hoppy, but is well balanced with grapefruit and a mild caramel malt being the most noticable.

T- First taste is always great, first displaying a prominent sweet piney taste with the citrus and hops kicking in just afterward. The malt, IMO, supports the hop taste just barely enough. Moderately-dry finish, and again it's well supported.

M- Medium bodied with the perfect amount of carbonation (I'd call it moderate as well)

D- This beer is a pleasure to drink, but the finish leaves such a dry bitterness in the back of your throat that I think 2 would be enough.

Overall this is a very good beer, and I've been through several 6's before deciding to review it. Ska did a great job with this one!

Macky20, Aug 17, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

This is my first review, so I chose a beer that I am very fond of. Trying to develop a critical vocabulary beyond "like it/don't like it," so be gentle.

A: rich, deep amber; unremarkable head retention; good lacing

S: not a lot--esters, floral, citrus; pretty mild

T: I love the taste of this beer. It has a more sour, grapefruit quality than many other IPAs, with plenty of floral esters. These are some of the most pleasant hop flavors that I have found in a standard American IPA.

M: Very creamy, but mine might not be the most reliable evaluation, given that this is the characteristic I am least aware of and therefore had the hardest time learning to notice.

D: Infinitely so. This one is sessionable for me.

I still love this beer, although this one (the first beer of my 2nd sixer) did not grab me the way my first six pack did months ago. The cans keep the beer fresh for long term storage and also can be enjoyed in a bottles-forbidden setting where choices typically run toward MBC, or whatever the acronym around here is for the big three. Don't hesitate to pick this one up if you can find it. Prosit!

GernBlanston, Aug 15, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

From notes: spilt into tasting glass.
A: White head, with a dull body.
S: Notes of resin, with a meduim intensity
T/M: Mouthfeel on the medium side. Good carbonation and overall intensity. Slightly good lingering tastes.
D: Great drinkability, in a can and overall a great IPA.

GDBEERMAN, Aug 12, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +18.9%

Unless held up to light, this IPA looks pretty dark in the glass---garnet, with a modicum of a cap (though I think it's poured a taller head previously...). The aroma is just outstanding. I can't think of an IPA that really struck me like this in a while. It reminds me of a harvest ale, with gooey, fresh green hops alive in the glass. There's a definite herbal quality to them, as well as a bit of bubble gum and pine. Ska really nailed the aroma. Thankfully the taste doesn't disappoint. Those pungent hops really assault the palate in a good way. Again, I can't recall an IPA that really took me aback in a while, and this one's doing it. I like how there's a minimal malt sweetness and the body feels just right. The hops leave an enjoyable stinging bitterness long after the sip. I drank one of these in 100F weather at the pool and it went down great. Ska's IPA just skanked its way on through to my current top 5 list of IPAs, shouldering up to Avery, Great Divide, Odell, and Sierra Nevada.

JEdmund, Aug 08, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance:
Dark amber color, crystal clear. Good amount of carbonation. Heads looks thick, lacing is nice on the glass.

Smell:
Very piney in the nose, grassy, touch of citrus, sweet malts. Smells really great!

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Piney/grass hops up front with slight hint of citrus, along with semi sweet bready malts. I notice there's a little mixture of caramel and butter in the middle. Smooth finish with slight hint of orange peel aftertaste. Medium bodied, carbonation is moderate.

Drinkability:
It's good.

mjurney, Aug 08, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark amber with thick full head that goes away pretty fast. Pretty good lacing on the top but once the head is gone no more lacing.

S: Bitter grapefruit citrus. Strong rind aroma. Some vegital qualities. Sweet caramel malt followed by warming alcohol.

T: Bitter, grapefruit and some pine comes through. Sweet malt on the finish. Alcohol doesn't come through as much in the taste.

M: Close to medium but still thin. Dry finish and good carbonation.

D: My favorite go to IPA. Isn't the best out there but for the price, and since it comes in cans, this is my favorite. Not rated as high because I have had better but I can get this all the time and love it.

rwf08, Aug 05, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Pours a clear dark golden brown, with a ruby hue. Nice fluffy head at first, that subsides a few minutes later and leaves a thin layer on top of the beer. Some sticky lacing left on the glass.

S. Smells of white grapefruit, lemon rinds and pine. This is nice and hoppy. There is a nice malty presence in the back, maybe a bit too much for me.

T: Nice and bitter. The taste mirrors the nose. The fruit accents from the hops are nice and tart! The malty backbone is sweeter than the nose led on. Again, maybe a bit too much for me.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation, medium stickiness left in the mouth from the hops. Gets a bit watery as I move through the beer. Average.

D: This is a good beer. While I had a dig at the level of malt presence, I still am enjoying this beer.

SmithwicksNut, Aug 04, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Picked up a can while in North Carolina. This IPA poured a clear amber with a tall fluffy white head. The flavor starts with a mix of biscuity caramel and grassy citrus rind that quickly rolls into pineapple and grapefruit punch with a dry, bitter finish. It's smooth and a touch sweet at first, and the hops kick in to finish this ale out.

It's not quite as bitter as most IPAs, I guess you'd call it a balanced IPA. Still, it's a tasty, interesting, and great looking beer. Check it out.

tempest, Aug 03, 2010

12 oz. can at the FBC,

A: Pours a medium orange with a solid white head, good lace.

S: Nice aroma, some tropical fruit - I definitely get notes of pineapple and grapefruit.

T: This has a fair amount of malt to it, but the strong pine needle, mint and grapefruit shine through in the end. Fantastic overall IPA flavour.

M: Medium-bodied, doesn't have a flabby carbonation as a lot of canned beers I've found have. Crisp and resiny.

D: If my train in Flagstaff hadn't been delayed I never would have gotten to try this wonderful IPA. A great first impression from Ska.

Halcyondays, Aug 02, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Finally took the opportunity to try this at Big Muddy Pub in Alton,Illinois on 7/31/10.

A-Slightly murky orange with two fingers of sturdy,chalky white head that showed good retention and left decent,clingy lacing.

S-This beer has a gorgeous nose.Very deliberate and straightforward grapefruit with some notes of pineapple and nectarine.A little,tangy pine
and fresh hop aroma was also present

T-Big,citrus and piney notes competing perfectly on the initial taste.Some subdued,sweet caramel malt added to this beer's well-rounded flavor.
Very nice sweet/tart contrast.

M-Nice and medium bodied.Excellent balance and overall mouthfeel.Good use of moderate carbonation to round this beer out.

D-Maybe the can has something to do with it,but this beer just seems made for summer,beer-league softball and fishing trips.Very quaffable!

StlHopHead77, Aug 02, 2010
Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.