Modus Hoperandi - Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: GilGarp on 03-03-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Modus Hoperandi Alström Bros
3.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass. Can dated best by 9/11/11.

Pours a clear copper color with a one finger head with poor retention. This must be filtered, because it's incredibly clear for an IPA.

Grapefruit hops in the aroma, but I can also pick up some sweet bready malts as well.

Taste is grapefruit hops up front fading to a malt backbone that is more subtle than I expected from the aroma. It then fades to that bitter, dry, tongue coating finish -- in a good way. A hint of alcohol near the end too. Looking back on this paragraph, it's accurate, but sounds better than I think the beer actually is. I think the beer is good, but I would like more bitterness and a more complex hoppy flavor. Part of this may be influenced by the mouthfeel.

As I just mentioned in my last sentence, I think more carbonation or more bitterness is necessary in this beer. This beer does manage to be thick and dry at the same time, which lends itself to this moderately low carbonation, but it lacks the bite I'm looking for up front.

If not for the $2 price difference here (this was 10.99 for six), this beer could easily compete with Dale's Pale ale as my go to tailgate (i.e. I have to drink from a can) beer. However, although the beer is enjoyable, I probably wouldn't buy it again for home consumption with all the other better IPAs available to me at similar or lower prices.

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured into a slightly chilled Sam Adams Lager glass. Dark burn orange, very mild bubbles. More on the side of clear than cloudy but barely. Only a one finger head tha is thick and creamy in appearance and off white tan in color. Lace is not really sticking.

Grapefruit hop smell with a bit of malt sweetness.

Not even close to as balanced as the nose. This one takes your tongue and puts it in a "twister hold" (UFC 128). It is definitely a yellow grapefruit, citrus taste. After the bitterness there is some sweetness, which I am licking off of my lips as I type. I love this type of IPA, so my score must reflect that. Most will score this on it being unbalanced but I am left coast and call this exceptional for the style.

The mouth is a lot better than what a common IPA should be. It is rich, full bodied, well carbonated. I can't go to 4.5 on this though. It is close!!

I must say that I am very lucky to live in the West. I have had many more balanced IPA's but learned to love the style from the West Coasters and tend to side with this kind of over the top citrus hop bitter IPA.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

a - poured a two-fingers thick eggshell-colored head into a snifter that left thick sheeting and sticky, delicate lacing throughout. the body was a bright and clear amber color.
s - big grapefruit hops with some toffee undertones.
t - sticky pine with a hint of spice. as it warms some green apple comes through.
m - medium thickness. clean and slick.
o - great hop bomb that does give a little balance in there. juuuust a little.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

(This is my first review)

The bottle looks pretty cool with it's almost Tarantino-esque label.

It pours a nice amber colour with a rich head - almost too large, but I have a certain love for large heads.

S - Citrus with a touch of something else. Caramel? Lots of hops.

T - As expected, there is a lot of hop in the taste, but there's also a hint of citrus and something sweet. Again, caramel?
Starts of sweet and very fresh and then the taste of hops comes crawling slowly and stays for a rather long while. The hop-hopes (I had to have a bad pun in my first review) that the name and the smell induces are thus fulfilled. However, I've had hoppier beers.

M - Rather rich, but still smooth mouthfeel. Medium bodied. Bitter, but enjoyable.

A great IPA that ranks among my favourites at the moment. I only bought two, but I will definitely buy some more.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: Great copper pour. Medium head with great retention. Frothy.

Smell: Smells hoppy and fruity. Lots of hop. I guess this is expected with Hoperandi in the name. Real pleasant and balanced.

Taste: Not as much hops as i expected but that's good! It was a great balance. Starts sweet and ends with a good balance of hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Good carbonation.

Overall: Great balanced beer that has me always ready to take the next sip. It's impressive.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Enjoyed @ the Wolf Public House in Ballwin, MO. Poured into a Pint Glass from a Can and had a B.O.D. of 09/11/11.

Appearance- A maple brown color and very clear. Two fingers of head appeared and were very bubbly. Lace was also left on the glass. Great head retention as well.

Smell- There was such a great amount of hop that it diluted any other scents. There was a little citrus I could grasp but this was all.

Taste- A great balanced beer! Mild hops when it came down to it and very refreshing. An IPA though? I need to double check and enjoy again to give a better description.

Mouth- Light-Medium Bodied with Interesting Medium Carbonation. No bubbles appeared after the pour except in the head and you could feel a refreshing taste all the way through. Nice!

Drinkability- I could drink 1 or 2 of these but then would need to switch to another beer. My first time having this IPA was with my cousin Mark and I had an enormous amount of beer that night so wasn't able to give my two cents on any attributes on this beer. Of course, having this sober was great as well! Would like to try in a Bottle or On-Tap sometime.

3.82/5  rDev -7.3%

324th review on BA
can to SN globe
12oz

Thanks to my wife for bringing this back from AZ for me.

App- Agressive pour due to being tipsy from Abacus produced a larger head than I wanted. A giant 3 finger cushiony head erupted into the glass. A vibrant dark orange/amber. Spotty clinging as well.

Smell- Smells great out of a can. Huge hoppy, spicy citrusy aroma. Very earthy and very pungeant.

Taste- It fell a bit hard from scoring so high on the nose. A bit flat and buttery. Well balanced but thin. I did notice as it warms it mellows and tempers the flat/buttery flavors and becomes a bit smoother.

Mouth- A lighter medium bodied beer paired with a medium carb level. Produced a nice spicy after taste.

Drink- Aroma and aftertaste are redeeming qualities. Taste was a bit flat but was still pretty good. I'd probably like to have this one again on draft.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Been meaning to try this so i figured St Pats day was a good day.

A orangeish amber with a finger of bubbly thick head. Nice lacing around the glass.

S Hops are the keynote speaker of this brew. Sweet malty and hoppy. What more could you ask for.

T hop bomb up in heeeyaaa

M nice and thick. just the way i like my ipa's. allot are thin and dissapate quick. not this one.

O - This i believe has a chance to become the new fave ipa of mine. it hits on all cylinders IMO. IPA's from a can? Yes please.

oh and did i mention the artwork on the can is awesome as well.

3.55/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Can poured into a tulip. Best by date unreadable.

A - Pours a slightly hazy amber with mostly red highlights with a nice fluffy two finger cream color head. The head slowly recedes leaving some amazing lacing. Its been a while since i have seen retention like this.

S - Extremely floral aroma with some strong citrus, grapefruit, orange, and lemon. There is a little hint of the malts present, but its well hidden. of a toasted aroma, but extremely faint, mostly hops going on here.

T - Nice citrus and grapefruit flavors, but the pine flavor is dominant here. Slightly grassy, and a slight malt profile present. Its not as well balanced as some other IPAs of this caliber, but its a wonderful tasting beer nonetheless.

M - Oily and medium bodied with nice carbonation. Bitter finish is a tad drier than others of this style .

O - I really enjoyed this beer and understand the hype, but its not my favorite of this category of top notch bees. Its extremely drinkable, and perhaps if this was readily available, i would enjoy more often, but im not sure i would trade for it again.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

12oz can with a best by date of 08/20-something (last number is smudged, as are most on these cans - really hope Ska finds a better system for the application of dates on their cans, still I appreciate the effort). Poured into a pint.

A- Pours with a nice clean amber center, has an almost gold hue around the edges. Without much effort I get a robust, 2 finger, off white head. The cap seems to want to stay around, depressing in small pockets which produce a nice cloud/pillow effect. Eventually it gives in and recedes, leaving some lacing.

S- Fresh hops, as if I just rubbed a couple between my fingers. There is some sweet caramel malt in the background with toffee notes, preventing the beer from being too one sided. The smell is more British than West Coast, and without a hop encyclopedia on hand I am guessing there are some Fuggles in here. Very pleasant, not overwhelming.

T- Caramel and toffee covered hops, pine more so than citrus. Some nut flavors too- pine nuts and almond slivers. There is a little alcohol in the end, but mostly unnoticeable and not unwelcome. The hops are strong, but the malt is there as well. There is some bitterness, but it's tasteful, not astringent. Hop forward? Yes. Hoppy alcohol water? No.

M- Sticky resin, slightly chewy, and an overall smooth experience. The carbonation is right on for my likes. Not too intense, which the amount of head would suggest. Lots of tiny bubbles that make for a creamy mouth and swallow, very little roughness.

This is one of my favorite IPAs, and definitely in my top 50 overall. From my experience it's consistent and consistently delicious. It's not a hop bomb West Coast IPA, it's a well balanced India Pale Ale that I can drink all night.

3.91/5  rDev -5.1%

12 oz can poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. Best By 04/07/11.

My goal is not to tick every beer I can get my hands on, it's to tick every beer Beerwolf77 can get HIS hands on. Thanks Todd!

A - Slightly hazy dirty apricot orange in color, Modus is topped by a delightful cream head with good retention and massive sticky webbing in collars all down the pint.

S - Pine and spruce notes from the hops liven up the not overly hoppy nose. Caramel and pale malts provide a good backbone to balance the hops. The aroma is a bit mellow overall though.

T - Smooth caramel and pale malts provide, once again, a good balance to the hop profile that's much more forward in the flavor. Pine notes again but it's strong with a woodsy, citrus flavor.

M - A well-balanced bitter finish puts the kabash on this medium-bodied, lively carbonated IPA.

D - The aroma's faint quality is expanded upon in flavor and a nice hop bitterness gives the finish a lightly dry, refreshing quality that opens this beer up to be a fairly sessionable IPA if not for the slightly higher ABV.

3.76/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a mostly clear orange with amber edges, one finger foamy white head, rings of thin lace clinging behind. Smell: leafy, lemon, grapefruit, biscuity backdrop with some caramel and mustiness. Subdued. Taste: biscuit, light caramel, lemon, grapefruit, leafy, with an herbal tea and spicy drying finish. Light-medium bodied, fine carbonation, a bit minerally. Nice juicy, citrusy IPA.

Best by 4/27/11.

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

A - Coppery, amberstyle with light foam.

S - Well balanced. citrus and apples but yet not to much green apples so they must have scored high while brewing..?

T - Hop, hop, hop, hop, all in balance to the pine

M - Nice but dies to soon i think. the real pun in the end is not really there.

D - Perfect beer for most times. Nothing to strugel with, easy to understand but if you are a greenhorn you should aim for something less hopy i guess.

Served on Bottle

4.09/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Poured into a pint glass. It was an amber almost copper color with a white foam head and produces some lacing. A translucent brew that's a bit cloudy.

S - Very nice fruit scents of apple and citrus mixing in with some pine and some sugars.

T - Very crisp with some slight lemon, a good amount of pine, and those wonderful hops.

M - Feels again nice and crisp with a dry finish. Not too much of an aftertaste which is nice in my opinion.

D - A great IPA altogether. Just the right amount of bitterness for an IPA with a nice finish.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Picking a hop explosion probably wasn't the best idea for a first-time reviewer, but I reallly liked Modus Hoperandi from Ska. It's an IPA that definitely stands out from other IPAs.

I had it poured from a can to an (impeccably clean) glass. It had a solid light beige-ish two-finger head that stuck around for nearly the entire 12oz. This beer made me realize what lacing actually was, so I'm gonna give it props for that. The beer itself was a deep copper color that turned a brilliant orange when light hit it.

Honesty, I forgot to check the aroma. When I did catch a whiff of it, my brain yelled "HOLY HOPS!" and my jaw tingled.

Flavor-wise, there seemed to be a couple waves of different hoppy bitterness. First wave was a wash of pine and something citrusy, Cascade? Then, the bitterness seem to subside momentarily to something that was almost sweet, but not quite there. Then, wham! ending bitterness that sticks around until you clear it out with another sip. It felt balanced, in an odd way.

I remember thinking the carbonation was pin-pricky but welcomed, since the end felt resin-y, almost as if you licked a pat of rosin. Other than that, I thought it wasn't too thick, and actually rather thinner than I thought it would be.

It was incredibly drinkable to me, or maybe incredibly drinkable compared to what I -thought- it would be. All in all, I think this might be one of my favorite IPAs, but not something I'd stock my fridge with. I'll probably continue to drink this puppy on occasion, most likely when I feel like I've been drinking the IPA equivalent of re-run TV shows.

3.79/5  rDev -8%

a decent brew, but i think the can bottling technique makes the beer a bit sour and slightly dry. bitter and hoppy, modus is a fun summer ipa. hot days and beaches seem to mix very well with hoperandi. i havent had this brew too many times, but i wont be looking for it specifically next time i go shoppin'. smells like opium...just sayin.

3.53/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours clear copper. Decent head that dissipates over time leaving small layer. Lacing is light, but present.

Smells great. Sweet, little hints of fruitiness, some light spicing, fresh hops.

Taste is slightly better than average. First sip brings out the fullness of the is IPA, hop flavor is good, slight taste that reminds me of the color present, but not too bad. Flavor lingers at the back of the throat for too long.

Carbonation is spot on. But feels somewhat 'greasy'.

Drinkability is low... I crave one every now and then, but I couldn't drink it back to back.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz can courtesy of Spider889 as an extra for getting him a couple bottles of Pumking at my local shop for his wife. Thanks Chris, appreciate it.

Poured into my Weasel Boy pint glass.

A: Pours a deep gold/amberish orange, decent 1 finger eggshell head that settles into a thin ring, nice lacing on the glass, and excellent retention to the lacing, it sticks to my glass and won't let go.

S: Another canned beer with a pretty damned good aroma. Nice grapefruit, pineapple, and pine off the bat, with a slight fresh bread note coming in behind it with a little bit of sweetness. Quite nice.

T: Very nice, bitter pine, resin, grapefruit, slight alcohol notes here and there, and a very weak sweetness. What malt that does show up is very faint, and is just sweet enough to keep the bitterness from overpowering everything.

M: Nice body, not thick, but decent weight on the palate. Oily, and slightly bitter finish. Nice carbonation.

D: Very good. ABV is pretty well hidden, and the bitterness/flavor hops in this one are very well done, and even though it's a pretty bitter IPA, the bitterness doesn't keep you from drinking it.

This is a really good IPA. I wouldn't have seen myself trading for this, or seeking it out, but if I find any of this on the shelves, or if I decide to trade, I'm going to get more of this one. Very nice.

3.83/5  rDev -7%

Reviewed from notes:

Appearance: orangish red with a 2 finger white head

smell: citrus hops, sweet caramel malts,

taste: bitter, little dry finish, refreshing IPA

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, sticky, crisp

Drinkability: highly drinkable IPA. Leaving me wanting another.

Cheers,

The cpj

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

I've been eyeing this one in the liquor store for quite awhile now, but have (foolishly) passed it up for other choices. A buddy picked up a sixer on a whim, and I'm very glad he did.

Its got a great color that is a little darker than your run of the mill west coast IPA, but not as dark as some east coast varietes.

Smell and taste-wise, this, to me, is exactly what an IPA should be like. The nose is like a bowl of candied fruit, and this comes through all the way in the taste. The body of the beer is perfectly matched, so that the hop flavor has some nice carmel notes to balance it out. The beer has a very smooth bitterness throughout, and lends itself to being completely drinkable, without being either too sweet or too dry.

I think this is a sleeper IPA. It really reminds me of my homebrewed IPAs, which is probably why I like it so much, and for it's price, it can't be beat in quality. Don't hesitate to pick this one up if you see it and you can't make up your mind.

3.77/5  rDev -8.5%

poured from a can:
Pours a dark amber with orange around the edges with a nice foamy head. moderate to light lacing.
smells of slight citrus, and hops. little bit of floral
upfront there is slight watery characteristic then followed by grapefruit, and hop bitterness. at the back there is that watery characteristic again.
mouthfeel is pretty standard with nothing to complain about.
im going to finish the can. that answer drinkability?

this is a pretty good ipa. not as amazing as other ipas, but it gets the job done. i would like to have this on tap at some point. thanks for the extra HopsSchnapps!

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

12oz can.
A) Pours with a two finger head. Great head retention. Body is a hazy copper / amber color with active carbonation bubbles.
S) Sweet orange. Subtle peach. Caramel malt.
T) Caramel, nice and rich with a healthy dose of hop bite. Some bitterness in the finish, but not overpowering or obnoxious... call it "just right". The whole flavor profile is very well balanced and a pleasure to drink.
M) Fizzy up front. Medium body with some heft.
D) Yum. A delicious IPA, well crafted and true to form.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

On-tap at Charlie Hooper's in KC. Great looking pour out of a fresh keg. Big head, excellent lacing all the way down. Very hoppy smell. The flowery kind, not the grassy kind. The smell really blows you away with hoppy goodness on the first sniff. Very good. Taste is very good, a well blended IPA. The hops aren't overly powerful, excessively bitter or too grassy. Good mouthfeel, carbonation. Extremely drinkable, could have several.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

The smell is loaded with classic American hops: Grapefruit juice, a grand yet gentle bitterness with smooth sweet notes and hints of resin, chalk, pine and juniper needles. Everything is crisp, clean and perhaps just a little bit too obvious.

The colour is amber with a tint of red (24 EBC). The liquid is clear and the two finger compact head is off-white, almost a bit orange. It sinks slowly leaving some lacing.

The taste is fresh and hoppy with light notes of dough and candy. The crispy bitterness is medium to strong. Citric notes of grapefruit juice, orange and bitter orange peels and a touch of lime. Apricots, fruit candy and flowers, however mild, give an English-inspired flavour in the background. The body is medium to full. Some clean sour hints gives balance to the smooth growing sweetness. The aftertaste is fresh and bitter with some sweet fruity notes, with hints of bread and musk.

The carbonation is strong, the bubbles very small. The liquid is smooth.

A solid AIPA: Just give it a little more hop complexity and it will become perfect.

Can into a pint glass
A - Could not pour the full can into my pint as the platinum blonde head was 2+ fingers, dissipated quickly but a thin layer stuck around, hazy light golden brown amber 4
S - Citrus & floral forward scent with pine notes, a subtle sweetness 4
T - Pine really comes forward on my first taste and fades away, bitter finish not the hop bomb I was expecting, nicely balanced, slightly herbal finish/aftertaste 4
M - light and thin character does not diminish the flavor, just very light in mouthfeel 3
D - a middle weight IPA, I (and likely most beer lovers) could sit down and finish several of these 4.5

Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.