Modus Hoperandi - Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 03-03-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Modus Hoperandi Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.5/5  rDev -15%

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

3.5/5  rDev -15%

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Serving- Can into a Syrofoam cup (definitely not preferable but it was all I had at time)

Apperance- First off, this things was super carbonated. Not saying that's a bad thing necessarily, but it's definitely got a lot of carbonation in solution. The head was very prominent and stuck around most of the drink from small cup. I finally got a glimpse of beer before I hit the bottom and it was a beautiful gold-copper

Nose- Different from a lot of IPA's I've had but not in a bad way. First off, it's hops. I mean it is an IPA. But beyond the hops, which are primarily light citrus (think tangerine and lemon), there were some aromas I've previously not experienced in an IPA. The primary one was light apple.

Taste- Light orange and possibly some ripe grape. There is a also undeniable malty sweetness which is really balanced well with the bitter finish. Finishes also with tangerine and more alcohol bite than I expected for a 6.8%.

Mouthfeel- Foamy head and Medium-thin mouthfeel.

Overall- I really enjoy my IPA's more than any other style. I'm always looking for a good one. This one fits the bill. It's got a great and unique aroma that sets it apart from all the other IPA's Ive tried thus far and it is robust but not so strong ABV wise to keep you coming back for another. Superb.

3.54/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz can at 41 F poured into a pilsner glass. 31026B2BA is printed on the side of the can, but it's not clear to me whether this is related to the beer or the can (it's not a stamp or anything, it's printed like the can label). Bought in Arizona, flown to WA.

Pours slightly cloudy with a biggish coarse pale head, some carbonation. Orange/copper in color. Smell is good, but muted. Pine and slight floral, a little citrus.

Taste has a slight metallic hint, which I never like. Slow piney finish. Somewhat bready or toasty. Again, slight citrus and floral notes.

Mouthfeel also hints at metal.

Overall, if it wasn't for that metallic hint, I think this would be a pretty solid beer. Even as it is, if I was going to be sitting in one place for a while and it was this beer or no beer, I'd have another. But there are many, many beers I would choose over this as is.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

2.98/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours out a dark amber with a fairly thick head. Smells strongly of citrus hops with loads of caramel malts. A bit of toast in the nose as well. Tastes very malty. Too malty for an IPA for my tastes. Lots of caramel and toasted malts. Solid citrus and bitterness from the hops, but the malts run this beer. Also, I get a ton of fruitiness from the yeast, which reminds me of gummy candies. Mouthfeel is smooth in the carbonation, but it's a bit sticky and thick for what I look for in an IPA. Overall, this isn't my favorite IPA. Too sweet and malty.

3.64/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can best by 4 Aug 14 at 45 degrees into standard pint
Aroma of pine
Head huge (10.5 cm), white, creamy, slowly diminishing to 1-2mm layer,
Lacing good, very full rings with varying size bubbles
Body orange-amber, clear
Flavor piney, slightly bitter, ending chalky; no alcohol, no malt, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, carbonation lively

Overall, a decent IPA. Not out of the ordinary. Meh.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. can poured into tulip
(April 14, 2014 best by date)

L: dark copper ... burnt orange with loads of amber in it; almost 1/2-inch head of white to off-white foam that does stick at the top, not a ton of lacing; crystal clear, as clear as any IPA I've poured

S: pine and citrus ... a bit of grain; gets into a candied orange at times but not full-on caramel; with that said, it's super sweet

T: follows the nose more or less with lots of bitter pine up front but a real citrus/candy citrus sweetness on the back end

F: good all around, nothing remarkable good or bad

O: I worked through a six-pack of this one, and it started off very piney/citrusy with loads of sweetness and evolved closer and closer into a caramel bomb ... even this last one, however, still holds on to quite a bit of good citrus taste with some pine still in there.

I'd only buy this beer again if I can find it fresh ("fresh" here being at least six weeks from its best-by date). I prefer grapefruit/hard citrus IPAs with the piney notes following, and this beer had a lot of that when it was fresher. Definitely a solid brew.

Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.