Modus Hoperandi | Ska Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co.
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by GilGarp on 03-03-2009

Reviews: 784 | Ratings: 2,628
4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

A medium to dark red-brown with a fluffy tan head that laces well.

Some smoky woodiness interlaces a good dose of Cascade hops - in their citrusy and piney goodness.

Grapefruit and wood chips greet you, followed by some pine and a touch of sweet caramel on the finish.

Attacks the tongue nicely, while being slightly lighter than "oily."

Overall just a fantastically easy drinking IPA. This jumped into my personal top 5 upon first sip of the first can, and its just getting better the more I drink it a few days later. This is even better than Gordon in the "Canned Red IPA" category, and challenges Odell IPA for my favorite period. I am absolutely loving it.

4.67/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass. It pours a nice deep copper color with an 1" of rich, thick off white head. Nice lacing on this one. The smell is really good. Big citrus and pine. Caramel malt is light on the nose. Taste... Wow. This is one of my favorite year round, any day, anytime beers. Massive hop flavor. Citrus, pine, and well balance with a solid malt profile. Great carbonation and a medium bodied IPA at 6%. So drinkable it's scary. I can't believe it's taken me this long to review this gem.

4.65/5  rDev +14%

A - Deep honey gold color, very slight haze with persistent effervescence...foamy offwhite to cream colored head with good retention and moderate lacing.

S - Piney, resinous, grapefruit and herbal smells take the foreground. There is a slight fruity/floral sweetness in the background.

T/M - Hop bitterness is high with floral, citrus and pine flavors that match the smell. The malt character is low, but balances well. The finish is medium dry and the bitterness lingers only for a minute or two. Very smooth with just a touch of alcohol warming.

O - This is a great beer. It very well may become my new first choice for IPAs.

4.64/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer came to me as an extra in a trade. I'm really glad it did because this IPA was a big surprise. I'm partial to IPA's with citrus notes that are well balanced. This one had a hint of citrus but is strong on the pine smell and taste. Pine dominant beers usually aren't my thing, but it works so well with this beer that it was a great change from my usual rotation of IPA's. The balance comes in with a nice malt finish that sneeks in just enough sweetness to make this beer very drinkable. I recommend that you seek Modus out if you can buy it in your area.

4.64/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a murky dark amber. Forms a finger of off-white creamy head. Leaves whispy lacing.
S - The aroma reminds me HEAVILY of Lagunita's Lil Sumpin' ale. Grapefruit, orange, pineapple, peach and piney citrusy hops.
T - Crisp and bitter. Not much sweetness in here. More of a savory IPA than a sweet one to be sure. Lots of grapefruit meat and rind and piney floral hops. Is very crisp and refreshing, but not a good beginners IPA due to it's quite high bitterness.
O - A quite good IPA, my "go to" session beer.
V - Very good, comes in a six pack of cans.

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

nice to see another micro recognizes the benefits to the user and the brewery of canning beer. This will be in my fridge again for sure.

Very fresh taste, with an overall impression that takes me back to the early days of a Dales Pale Ale.

I would love to try this on tap sometime, probably be one of my new favs.

4.62/5  rDev +13.2%

A - it's a hazy, amber with a decent head.
S - Terrific hops aroma - citrus and pine.
T - Perfect balance of mild malt, hop bitterness, hop flavor / aroma. Most beers with this much flavor have alot of malt backbone as well, and for me seems a little "extreme". This beer has it just right, I could definitely crack open another.
D - Per the taste comments above, this is very drinkable for a heavily hopped beer.

Modus in cans is as good as it gets.

4.62/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured into a slightly chilled Sam Adams Lager glass. Dark burn orange, very mild bubbles. More on the side of clear than cloudy but barely. Only a one finger head tha is thick and creamy in appearance and off white tan in color. Lace is not really sticking.

Grapefruit hop smell with a bit of malt sweetness.

Not even close to as balanced as the nose. This one takes your tongue and puts it in a "twister hold" (UFC 128). It is definitely a yellow grapefruit, citrus taste. After the bitterness there is some sweetness, which I am licking off of my lips as I type. I love this type of IPA, so my score must reflect that. Most will score this on it being unbalanced but I am left coast and call this exceptional for the style.

The mouth is a lot better than what a common IPA should be. It is rich, full bodied, well carbonated. I can't go to 4.5 on this though. It is close!!

I must say that I am very lucky to live in the West. I have had many more balanced IPA's but learned to love the style from the West Coasters and tend to side with this kind of over the top citrus hop bitter IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Fantastic beer that I was thrilled to enjoy last night. Never really saw how good this one was before, Served from a can and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 04/03/2010.

Great pour as the orange tinted amber came out of the can and splashed and poured a huge three inch head of white foam that stuck to the side with incredible lacing and a formidable amount of foam. Tons of carbonation was streaming up to the surface throughout the session. Aroma was grapefruit and pineapple heaven. Not piercing bitter, rather totally sweet and fruity and mellow. Wonderful balance of aroma and completely fresh. Really well done. Each sip followed suit as the hops were dripping with freshness and ripe citrus flavor. Touches of sweetness balancing it out nicely as even in the final sips I was pickin up hints of buttery and biscuit like notes before a rich and dry grapefruit finish sealed the deal.

Overall one the best sessionable IPA;s I have had in a long, long time. And probably the best I have ever had out of a can. Blown away by this one.

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: Transparent amber with thick one finger creamy head.
Smell: The smell draws you in big time. Pine, Citrus, Malty/Hoppy goodness. Smells well Balanced.
Taste: Taste follows the nose. Super smooth. Sweet with the perfect amount of bitterness. Malty bready backbone really balanced the whole beer out.
Feel: Smooth, Slightly oily. Lower carbonation. Carbonation is at the perfect place.
Overall: Was REALLY impressed by this beer. It is so well balanced and I believe that its a highly underated beer. Should be a Beer Advocate top 250.

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L- Amber body with a two finger off white head. Great head retention and a lot of sticky lacing as take several sips.
S- All I get is hops, hops and more hops! Just a fantastic invasion of piney, fruity and citrus aroma as I take each sip.
T- now this is what I love, relatively low hop bitterness but a massive amount of hop flavors. Primarily sticky pine, grapefruit and peppery bitterness (in a wonderfully subtle way.) It's malt base only comes through slightly in the end to balance out the hop bitterness.
F-Medium-light body, slightly sticky lingering bitterness.
O- The IPA that got me into the style. I first had it fresh of the canning line before they topped the can on a brewery tour in Durango. In my top 5, maybe 3 CO IPA's!

4.59/5  rDev +12.5%

I love that craft beer is adopting cans more and more. That said,
this IPA really blew me away. This fresh hop nose really got me on board quickly.

Lots of pine in the nose, flavor follows suit. Caramel malt is the backbone of this IPA and balances very well.

It's very drinkable, the flavors really pop with this beer - pine, grapefruit, pineapple.

Excellent example of an IPA in can.

4.59/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance- Off-white two finger head, dissipates to a half finger that lingers. Caramel orange color

Smell- Tons of juicy citrus. Absolutely delicious

Taste- Citrus, some sweet malts, nice bitter finish

Mouthfeel- Perfect

Overall- Awesome IPA! One of my favorites

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Serving- Can into a Syrofoam cup (definitely not preferable but it was all I had at time)

Apperance- First off, this things was super carbonated. Not saying that's a bad thing necessarily, but it's definitely got a lot of carbonation in solution. The head was very prominent and stuck around most of the drink from small cup. I finally got a glimpse of beer before I hit the bottom and it was a beautiful gold-copper

Nose- Different from a lot of IPA's I've had but not in a bad way. First off, it's hops. I mean it is an IPA. But beyond the hops, which are primarily light citrus (think tangerine and lemon), there were some aromas I've previously not experienced in an IPA. The primary one was light apple.

Taste- Light orange and possibly some ripe grape. There is a also undeniable malty sweetness which is really balanced well with the bitter finish. Finishes also with tangerine and more alcohol bite than I expected for a 6.8%.

Mouthfeel- Foamy head and Medium-thin mouthfeel.

Overall- I really enjoy my IPA's more than any other style. I'm always looking for a good one. This one fits the bill. It's got a great and unique aroma that sets it apart from all the other IPA's Ive tried thus far and it is robust but not so strong ABV wise to keep you coming back for another. Superb.

4.57/5  rDev +12%

Purchased from Binny's Beverage Depot in Warrenville, IL. Pours a bright, clear amber body with a fluffy off white head. Aroma is very thick on the hops! Big malt backbone that supports the very long hop finish. This beer is a hop head's delight! Awesome IPA.

4.57/5  rDev +12%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a clear dark orange mahogany/copper color. A foamy cream colored head dissipates to chunky, bubbly film. Lots of sticky lacing. The beer smells piny, woody, and slightly citric. The beer tastes like a good IPA should: bright bitter hops, and a clean fresh pine wood accent. The finish is that of pinon wood. Tasty. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and dry.

Overall, highly impressed. I've seen this beer on the shelf for years, and just couldn't pull the trigger. It's got some interesting flavors in it that are delicious.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy, dark orange with a thin white head. Much carbonation.
Smells of carmelized malt and candied citrus hop with nice hop.
A very nice sweet malt that achieves nice balance with the piney hops. The candied, citrus smell is also in the taste.
The warm, people hey hop feeling is one of my favorite things. Feel is nice. As uprising ply good beer.

4.57/5  rDev +12%

Pours clear gold with a medium head, short retention

Smells and tastes very much like bitter hoppy grapefruit. Slightly sweet malt, with a clean hoppy bite at the end. My only complaint is that while the resiny citrus taste is bold, it doesn't for me unfold with depth and complexity. Still, the hops- somewhere in the Simcoe-chinook vein- is in your face good

Body and mouthfeel is middle of the road, which seems appropriate for an American IPA

This is an exceptional IPA- very drinkable

4.56/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Orange-amber in color and pours perfectly with 2 fingers of head and nice lacing. Citrus and pine hop aroma, but the taste is also balanced somewhat with malt. I really like this beer, reminds me of a bit milder version of Surly Abrasive (my favorite beer)

4.56/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a can into a pint glass.
Appearance - almost like an amber, nice and bubbly; forms an impressive head and leaves sticky lacing up and down the glass.
Smell - Floral hops, with some citrus fruit! Noticeable malt presence that balances it out!
Taste - This is smooth and easy to drink. Compliments the nose...you want more of this hop forward, yet well balanced brew!
Feel - The palate is alive after the first sip; bitter hops, with a nice compliment of carbonation!
Overall - underrated, and in a can, which I like to give kudos for convenience! Not a top 10 beer, but every time I have it I develope a new appreciation! Don't overlook.

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

Look: Deep red amber/bronze with a thick and foamy off-white head

Aroma: Smooth floral hop scent, very citrusy

Taste: Bold and robust hop flavor, very floral, with a smooth and pleasant aftertaste

Feel: Thick and frothy with an imprint left on the tongue

Overall: A very tasty and rich IPA that goes down smooth

4.54/5  rDev +11.3%

Modus Hoperandi pours a pretty amber color with a small off white head that leaves spots of lace behind.

the smell: jesus christ! grapefruit and hops come up and punch you in the nose. i could sit and smell this for a few moments, and in fact, it is exactly what i do.

when the glass finally meets my lips, the grapefruit and citrus hops come to the front, backed by some bready malts. very bitter and tasty, without being offensive. not really a complex flavor, but very satisfying. sip after sip brings delicious pink grapefruit to mind.

well carbonated, thick enough to satisfy, slightly dry finish. this is a great beer, especially for people that like big hoppy IPAs.

the brightly colored bottle, prominently displayed hop cones, and the skeletal 'men in black' image is what initially attracted me. i had never heard of Ska Brewing before, but now i am officially a fan.

+ well balanced but still very hoppy, and a great aroma make this a world class beer.

+ an interesting label from a creative brewery that just happens to make great beer. this bottle of beer is the epitome of what craft beer should be. not only great brewers, but creatively pushing the boundaries of what beer can be.

4.54/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured a deep copper/orange color with one finger of frothy cream colored foam. Decent retention as the head slowly dropped to half of its original thickness leaving a nice solid ring of lacing around the glass - the bubbles are rising steadily from the bottom. Smells of a mixture of sweet fruits and resinous pine all balanced out by a subtle caramel hint that's just barely showing through. I'm getting a sweet flavor bump up front overwhelmed by an earthy pine bitterness that takes over the palate at the end (in a very good way) - not a whole lot of malt in the taste. The mouthfeel is very refreshing upfront with a perfect amount of carbonation for this beer then leaves the back of my mouth sticky and wanting another drink - not sure if its the bitterness of the hops or the alcohol that cause a slight burn. I love this beer and drink it quite often just never got around to reviewing. Ska has excellent offerings and I recommend getting a hold of there beers.

Enjoy!

4.54/5  rDev +11.3%

Reminds me of the some of the great christmas ales I have in the past with the really strong tastes of pine.

A good strong IPA from a brewery that I have not heard of before (but doesn't seem to be too well loved), I got this brew on tap at one of my favorite bars.

A damn good brew if you can find it....

4.54/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Clear amber color with a two finger light brown head. Excellent retention and lacing. Lots of little carbonation bubbles quickly rising to the top.

S - Big grapefruit citrus aroma. Hints of a little orange as well. Faint biscuity sweetness underneath.

T - Citrusy hops up front that carry through the entire beer. Lots of grapefruit and even a touch of some tropical fruits. The malt backbone is present but very muted and gives a light biscuity taste. Finishes with a clean bitterness.

M/D - Medium bodied and very smooth. Carbonation is at a good level, could be a touch higher. Very easy drinking.

Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.