Modus Hoperandi - Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 03-03-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Modus Hoperandi Alström Bros

3.05/5  rDev -26%

This extra can was kicked to me generously by Ryan011235. I penned out some notes over at his place after GLBC's public sales.

A- I am faced with a deep, clouded copper colored beer. A darker take on the style, which it seems is something Ive been seeing more of lately. It sports a parchment colored head that gets up to about a finger (the standard BA unit of measure) in height.

S- Quite malty on the initial whiffs. Caramel malts seem apparent. The aroma then moves through a floral and tea-like phase on its way to a piney and bitter grapefruit spike.

T- Herbal, floral and tea like hops kick things off. A caramel maltiness peaks its head out in the middle, just before some grapefruits make themselves known. The finish is caramely with a lingering grapefruit rind bitterness.

M- Sharp and stinging. Dry, crisp finish.

3.08/5  rDev -25.2%

12oz Can from a 6-pack poured into a Chalice.

This beer has a cult following round these parts. To the point that non-drunk random persons in Argonaut audibly cheered me for pulling it.

L: Deep apricot and clear, with dollops of rich, beautiful head. Great retention.

S: Overwhelming hops up front, with futile massive sweetness trying to overcome in the back.

T: Hop bomb! Sweetness is even more absent in the mouth than the nose. This thing has a one-track mind, and that mind wants to be as hop-ridiculous as possible. No balance, or even an attempt at it. To be admired?

F: Great feel here, perfect carbonation, perfect thickness, consistant, good as it opens up.

D: Like it a lot, aside from the taste. Minor details.

Still, any brewery that open sources it's beer recipes is OK by me.

3.08/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from a can into a tulip. Dark copper color with large fluffy head. Big hop aroma coming off the top! Smells like the vacuum after you throw out the Christmas tree and clean up all the needles that have fallen into the carpet. As you'd imagine by the smell, taste is super-hoppy. Mostly piney cascade flavor, a hint of grapefruit peel. Very bitter. There isn't much malt background at all. Hops are a little one dimensional and there's a touch of mustiness to it all. Pretty dry finish and slightly heavy. Couldn't see myself pounding these.

Hop maniacs might like this for its insane bitterness. I prefer my IPAs to have a little more nuance to their hop flavor and a little more malt for contrast. I like having craft beer in a can, so I'll consider this to keep in the mix for camping and golfing, but its far from my favorite IPA.

3.1/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Aluminum can into a Samuel Smith's conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average; Ska tends to be underwhelming.

Served cold. Side-poured. Not paired with food.

A: Pours a three finger head of nice cream and thickness, and light white-khaki colour. Retention is good. Decent lacing. Body colour is a clear textbook copper with no visible yeast particles. No bubble show. Par for the style. I like the head.

Sm: Nectary and floral hops. Caramel. Pale malts. Sticky sweet malts. A hoppy appealing aroma of moderate strength.

T: Nectary and floral, with some evident hop bitterness. Caramel and pale malts form the unobtrusive foundation. It's incredibly simple, and the balance isn't quite good. I do like it, but there's little to say about it in light of its simplicity. Lacks subtlety.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Somewhat refreshing. Standard carbonation. Not as crisp as I'd like. A bit too thick. Generally good for the style, but it's far from custom-tailored to the flavour profile.

Dr: A drinkable IPA from Ska. I've had this from the can and it's much better from a glass. ABV is well hidden. I doubt I'd get this again; maybe fresh on draught. A passable IPA with high ratings that I don't understand. Another meh beer from Ska.

C+

3.13/5  rDev -24%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass. Can dated best by 9/11/11.

Pours a clear copper color with a one finger head with poor retention. This must be filtered, because it's incredibly clear for an IPA.

Grapefruit hops in the aroma, but I can also pick up some sweet bready malts as well.

Taste is grapefruit hops up front fading to a malt backbone that is more subtle than I expected from the aroma. It then fades to that bitter, dry, tongue coating finish -- in a good way. A hint of alcohol near the end too. Looking back on this paragraph, it's accurate, but sounds better than I think the beer actually is. I think the beer is good, but I would like more bitterness and a more complex hoppy flavor. Part of this may be influenced by the mouthfeel.

As I just mentioned in my last sentence, I think more carbonation or more bitterness is necessary in this beer. This beer does manage to be thick and dry at the same time, which lends itself to this moderately low carbonation, but it lacks the bite I'm looking for up front.

If not for the $2 price difference here (this was 10.99 for six), this beer could easily compete with Dale's Pale ale as my go to tailgate (i.e. I have to drink from a can) beer. However, although the beer is enjoyable, I probably wouldn't buy it again for home consumption with all the other better IPAs available to me at similar or lower prices.

3.15/5  rDev -23.5%

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a mostly clear deep coppery amber, with 2 firm fingers of off-white head. Retains with about a ¼ finger of smooth and creamy froth, leaving some heavy lacing back that hangs in thick swathes down the sides of the glass. The aroma is bit dank and herbal feel in the nose, being punctuated by extra notes of spice and pine. Some tropical fruit character and bready malts give this a backing tang while a floral feel helps pull the flavors together.

The taste is similar, with an overall more earthy feel up front, as bitter citrus and toasted grains try to offer some balance. Resins and spice run wild in the back of the profile, giving the finish a gritty raw hop flavor that is tough to shake. The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the most part but this has a watery softness to it in spots that takes any kind of force away from the flavors. There is some warmth here to the body but it mostly serves to help strengthen that overly bitter finish.

While I appreciate having another IPA out there in cans, this one just didn't work for me. Way to unbalanced with the hops towards the back and the body felt like it was seriously lacking some substance. Considering the majority of the reviews for this, I think that I'm going to have to try a couple more cans of this to see if I missed something.

Bottled February 2009; Sampled June 2009
A soft'ish pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a three finger thick, light tan colored head that has some staying power to it. The beer is a dark copper, amber color that shows an almost clear, full copper color when held up to the light. The aroma has a herbal and citrus note to it, though it doesn't jump out of the glass. Notes of Meyer lemon, a touch of lychee as well as some grapefruit zest notes seem to be drowned out at times by a dusty, cracker like malt note. The aroma is not bad, but it certainly isn't remotely brash like a decent IPA should be.

The beer is fairly dry, but does have some malt body to it that makes it cling to the palate just a bit. Herbal and menthol hop notes define the up front flavors and there is a biting bitterness here as well. The citrus hop notes take a distant backseat, but provide some just noticeable orange flavors. The malt character here is defined by the crystal malt which contributes a touch of toffee, some caramelized grain character and some biscuit like grain notes.

In many ways this seems a bit like a mildly hop focused Amber Ale, it does have a biting bitterness to it, but other than that the hop character is severely lacking.

3.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours tan with a thin beige head. Nose has subtle malts and some grassy hops. The flavor profile was light and seemed a bit stale. Needed a bit more pop to it. Grainy hops and subtle malts. Body is a bit thin and under carbonated. Decent session beer from Ska.

3.15/5  rDev -23.5%

12oz can courtesy of DonFrap. Poured into tulip glass. Best until 1/13.

A- Pours a dark reddish amber with a little over a finger of slightly yellowish off-white head that has great retention and leaves layered lacing. Decent carbonation.

S- Grains, amber malts, some light hops that don't give off that much of an aroma.

T- Fairly malty, mix between caramel and amber malts with some grassy hops in the background that accentuates on the finish. Lightly sweet, not much citrus going on, too dominated by the malts.

M- Medium bodied, king of corn-syrupy, slightly under-carbonated, easy to drink.

O- This was an okay beer, but not at all what I look for in IPAs. This was almost completely dominated by the sweet malts. The hops that were in it were fairly grassy and not the type of hops that I like in my IPAs. It was easy to drink, but not something that I would probably want again.

3.23/5  rDev -21.6%

Appearance: Deceivingly pale for an IPA. Pretty decent foam and ok lacing. I would rate this lower, but the color is a nice element of trickery.

Smell: Basically wet hay with some citrus hops. I have definitely smelled better...and worse.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very crisp body, but the flavor is too mellow. Mostly hay and some faint lemon and pine.

Overall Drinkability: I was definitely disappointed with this.

12 oz can served in a standard pint glass:

A - Pours a transparent copper color with a 1.5 finger head of decent cream. The head recedes rather quickly, but leaves a nice amount of lacing.

S - Sweet honey, musty hops, grapefruit and pine. Standard fare, though inviting.

T - Much maltier than expected. Sweet caramel opens, followed by some bittering hops. Less pronounced flavors than predicted by the nose. Bitter on the climax, but well balanced.

M - Smooth, and almost light bodied. Not traditional, but works well.

D - Decent overall, but not great. Doesn't embody the style very well at all.

3.23/5  rDev -21.6%

A= As I drank from the can all I can tell you is that the can was different and very green.

S= Very hoppy spicy smell. I don't know if the aluminum can threw me off or not. Could definitely tell it was an IPA.

T= First taste threw me back a little. To me this was a very strong IPA for the little IBU it had. As it may be a true IPA I had a hard time swallowing it.

M= The finish killed this beer for me. It left a very oily pine cone taste in my mouth that I couldn't get rid of.

O= Not a bad beer for someone else. I like to call myself a Hophead but this beer is not for me.

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

12 oz. can poured into an Allagash chalice.

Appearance - Copper with an off-white head. Nice head with good retention and nice rings of lace down the glass. A little dark.

Smell - Musty pine hops with a hint of grapefruit citrus. Toasty malts. No sweetness. Kind of a weak hop aroma.

Taste - Sweet caramel malt is significantly stronger than the hops. The pine and citrus play second fiddle. The bitterness is intense and lingering.

Mouthfeel - The bitterness at least covers some of that malt. It's not sweet, but there's nowhere near enough malt to back it up. It's pretty drinkable though, especially with food.

Overall - Nothing special. Nothing bad, either. More hops, please.

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured this 12 oz. can into a Sierra Nevada hops glass. No date. The body was semi-cloudy and bright cooper. One finger of manilla envelop colored head formed. When opened it sound flat, not much carbonation evident, but a vigorous pour created adequate head which remained throughout. Some lacing remained. The can art reflects the Ska culture.

Smell was piney and earthy. An organic rotting hay aroma.

Taste was grapefruit pith. Caramel sweetness was eclipsed by the hops which left a long lingering aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was medium in body and had moderate carbonation.

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.