Modus Hoperandi - Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: GilGarp on 03-03-2009

Reviews: 756 | Hads: 2,484
4.89/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Love this beer and the can it comes in. No to harsh not to light, just right. The color is just right, the smell of hops is just right. It does at times have a after taste but that's probably me cause it's off and on. Overall I like it better than any English IPA (264 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A solid beer but not my favorite. A surprisingly dark yet appealing amber color for an IPA. Nose is hints of grapefruit and pine. Taste has similar characteristics but they are almost overpowered by a sweet, caramel maltiness. It's good. I like somewhat malty IPAs but this is more than I prefer. The dating on the can suggests it's pretty fresh, but I wonder if it's a bit past its prime and has lost some hop kick. (416 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

Great amber hue with a fingernail of off white head covering the top of the beer. Nice Brussels lacing. Moderately strong aroma of piney hops. The taste is a burst of piney hops on the front of the palate. There is a presence of light malt but it is definitely a background note throughout the palate. The mouth is a bit sticky and fairly dry. (343 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the hotel lobby bar in Denver (Grand Hyatt). Pours amber orange color with a small creamy off white head. Big grapefruit and pine on the nose, some grass, and surprisingly strong sweet malts going on here. Flavor follows with a massive punch of dry bitterness, pine, bitter grapefruit, some mango. Resinous and bitter, finishing dry, with medium body and medium plus carbonation. This beer was excellent and reminded me a lot of an amped up Jai Alai. Definitely worth a go. (483 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very Nice amber colour, nice floral bouquet, slight citrus- orange flavour with sharp hoppy notes. leaves a clean wet finish. Very palatable, for one or several. Don't let the can fool you. Damn find representation of a good pour. It would be nice to find on tap at local pub for a fair decent pint! (299 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Awesome flavour, aroma , hoppiness, taste, colour, essence, experience, aura, transcends most other IPA's kick most APA's asses.. this stuff is the beer they make up legends about.. My taste-buds are having a beergasm!!!
As Always,,,,
~Carry on Citizens!!!~
sMc (262 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz can from a six at CM poured into a tulip glass. Best by October 30, 2014.

A - Pours a amber orange with a one finger head that dissipates quickly.

S - Wonderful citrus, sweet doughy malts, pine.

T - Grains, pale malts, fairly straightforward. Some dirt. Tropical fruit. Bitterness wraps it up.

M - Carbonation moderately low, which gets sharper at the finish. Somewhat thin/watery.

O - The smell is the highlight. Hops are there, but they are not the pungent variety. Goes down fast. (498 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Nice beer.
Aroma is quite strong, lots of C-hops typical of an IPA, very much mango, pine, grapefruit, and much more I can't quite tease out.

Flavor: Again, lots of C-hops, a decent amount of bitterness forward, but not too much. The bitterness is strongest in the middle and back of the tongue, while there's lots of fruity flavors all around. I like the hop forwardness, but this beer doesn't forget the malts. You can taste the caramel/crystal malts that balance this beer really well. In the back you get to feel the crystal malt come to the fore. I like how this beer is not only a hop bomb, but also a well balanced malt level keeps this beer from being boring.

Also like the mouthfeel, which is thick and süffig. (723 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

This is a fairly strong and sturdy IPA. The flavor is appropriately hop forward with a heavy hop aroma, with a very noticeable Columbus hop note (which I find drier and less aromatic than the more common Cascade). The malt in this beer is surprisingly subdued for a beer approaching 7% and it works well with the hop load. Very enjoyable IPA. (342 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Color- clear amber straw. Full head.

Aroma- sharp grapefruit zest from the hops and background of dandelions.

Taste- Starts hoppy but not sharp, mellowed hoppiness followed by subtle sweetness finishing with pine needle dryness.

Poured from 355 ml can into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 6/24/2013. (358 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From a 12 oz can (best by July 28, 2014) into a tulip.

A-A normal pour produces about one and one-half fingers of odd dark-tan head. The retention is decent and the lacing is great at first. The beer is nearly clear and still. The color is rusty orange.

S-The aroma is earthy with a moderate hop stink of oily orange citrus and a touch of pepper. There is a fair amount of caramel sweetness here too. Overall, the impression is a bit vegetal and leafy, with light to moderate bitterness.

T-The taste is a bit more interesting than the smell with more citrus zest, juiciness and overall hop flavor. That being said, there is still quite a bit of malty sweetness with caramel being a strong flavor here. There is a mild medicinal flavor and a lightly bittering finish. Still somewhat dull and earthy.

M-Medium to heavy in body with a smooth, average amount of carbonation.

O-It has been a while since I have had Modus because my recollection of it was not positive. Tonight's review beer was better than I remember it, but still not great. I continue to think of the beer as a bit dull around the edges. I applaud the balance between hop and malt, but this beer just feels dull and overly earthy to me. (1,207 characters)

Poured slightly chilled in shaker pint glass

A: clear slightly dark copper color; good head and retention, good carbonation
S: very hoppy, aromatic, pleasant; classic IPA aroma, with no particular strain of hops dominant
T: bready, rich; very good malt and alcohol backbone; heavy in IBUs, but well matched by sweetness; very well balanced
M: smooth and silky

really great IPA, and one I plan to get again! (409 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +1%

A: Pours a crystal clear amber in color with light amounts of active visible carbonation slowly rising from the bottom of the glass and some faint golden yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall sudsy foamy beige head that reduces to a mottled thin film covering the entire surface of the beer with a couple of small slightly thicker patches and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of pine/resin and citrus/grapefruit pith hops over a very light caramel malts.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of caramel malts with a light amount of sweetness. That is followed by moderate to slightly stronger than moderate flavors of citrus/grapefruit pith and pine hops which impart a moderate amount of lingering bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Crisp with a hint of dryness in the finish.

O: A very nice hop forward west coast IPA that is easy to drink. Enjoyable with well hidden alcohol. Been a long time since I had this one and it was nice to re-visit it (it was also quite fresh). (1,105 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +2%

I had seen this one around for a while, but for some reason just never thought much about it. I picked it up on a mixed six pack deal at a grocery store as a filler beer. Just to try something new. I was happy I did this was a pleasant surprise and if I ever caught it on sale I would buy it, I actually got a better deal mixing the six pack than had I purchased any of the beers as a package, but I digress...

Appearance: solid IPA, straw yellow, not a ton of head, but balanced.

Smell: Hops were there but faint. More citrus, but not a strong flavor profile.

Taste: Much more flavor than expected from the bouquet. Floral hops, some pine but not as much as others, citrus zest. Nice and crisp too. I attribute this to the can. Please for god sake other breweries start canning more beer, especially ales!

Overall: I enjoyed this beer and like I said if I caught it for $8 or $9 a six pack I would get it again for sure. I really lucked up with this one, because the store had a mixed sixpack deal for $9.99 and I got two of these, three breakfast stouts and a Three Philosophers. So I scored. (1,098 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Had originally sampled this IPA a couple years ago and have had it ranked on my #1 IPA shelf for quite some time. It is time to officially review it and see if it will stay on the top shelf. Aroma is very hoppy and floral...definitely a west coast IPA smell. Good balance between malt and hops but the hops hit first and the malt follows. The malt is smooth, slightly caramelly and bready/grainy...not too sweet although it has a sweet aroma to it. This is a very nice IPA and will remain on my top IPA shelf. Some reviewers mentioned a metallic taste from the can, I poured this into a glass and did not taste any metallic flavors. (632 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -1%

A big thanks to jdhowe for bringing this out from Colorado. Freshness date is listed at the bottom side of the can as "May 05 14." Cracked this open about a week ago.

One of the darkest, reddish-amber IPAs since Surly Furious immediately graced my glass, with a gigantic head that rose all the way to the top, almost overflowing, when poured gently. Took a while for the frothy, off-white looking head to dissipate, but when it did, it didn't really leave behind too much stickiness. Definitely strives to be stellar, but I've started to notice that this appearance is pretty common to a lot of IPAs from Colorado.

Smells unbelievably refreshing, with intense grapefruit, pine, and blood orange immediately hitting my nostrils. Those were the main aromas throughout, but I definitely picked on some pear and apple notes as well. Light white pepper, sage, and light tropical notes that I'm finding difficult to define. I'm honestly blaming the malt profile there, which is relatively sweet and earthy, evoking caramel and toffee, as well as some nice biscuit notes throughout. Not too complex, but a wonderful pleasure is certain respects - nothing harsh or too intense, as an IPA aroma should be.

The flavor is pretty much the same here, and it's good enough for me that it ended up as such. Big grapefruit, pine, and orange, with a strong malt backbone delivering caramel and toffee to the fullest form. Sage, pepper, and light pineapple follows soon after to deliver some extra sweetness, but the finish is more pine and bitter toasted grains, which keeps things interesting and cleanse the palate appropriately for the next sip. It's definitely malt forward, and while the hop phenols do dominate, the malt thickness adds a creamy, bready characteristic that makes this highly drinkable, while still putting the hop oils at ease. Never feels thin or lacking in carbonating. Really refreshing, and definitely has top potential to be food-friendly.

What a delicious IPA - others I've had in the past from Colorado have been too malty, but this is particular found the right balance without merely stacking itself as a "dry-hopped pale ale." It's definitely similar to a good quality West Coast IPA, but it retains its own regional charm to great success. I would love to have a 6-pack around the house every once in a while, but too bad the distro laws concerning Colorado beer are so strange out here... (2,409 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Iv bought this beer twice (2 separate occasions), and both times it was well before the "best by" date on the bottom of the can. Both times it's smelled and tasted old and malty. This one is not for me and I won't be trying a 3rd go with it. (241 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tasted On: 04-17-2014
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. can
Glassware: Shaker pint
Purchased: Received from a friend

Mostly clear amber beer with an offwhite head. The creamy head has very good retention as well as the lacing.

Aromas have floral and piney hops plus a little malty sweetness.

Flavors are firstly of piney hop bitterness, with tropical fruits like pineapple in support. Finally there's a little dose of caramel malt sweetness.

Body is in between medium and full. The finish is dry and quite hoppy, with some astringency as a detraction.

Overall a powerful IPA, very good but marred somewhat by astringency.

Thank you goes out to Craig for bringing me this (687 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Serving- Can into a Syrofoam cup (definitely not preferable but it was all I had at time)

Apperance- First off, this things was super carbonated. Not saying that's a bad thing necessarily, but it's definitely got a lot of carbonation in solution. The head was very prominent and stuck around most of the drink from small cup. I finally got a glimpse of beer before I hit the bottom and it was a beautiful gold-copper

Nose- Different from a lot of IPA's I've had but not in a bad way. First off, it's hops. I mean it is an IPA. But beyond the hops, which are primarily light citrus (think tangerine and lemon), there were some aromas I've previously not experienced in an IPA. The primary one was light apple.

Taste- Light orange and possibly some ripe grape. There is a also undeniable malty sweetness which is really balanced well with the bitter finish. Finishes also with tangerine and more alcohol bite than I expected for a 6.8%.

Mouthfeel- Foamy head and Medium-thin mouthfeel.

Overall- I really enjoy my IPA's more than any other style. I'm always looking for a good one. This one fits the bill. It's got a great and unique aroma that sets it apart from all the other IPA's Ive tried thus far and it is robust but not so strong ABV wise to keep you coming back for another. Superb. (1,296 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz can at 41 F poured into a pilsner glass. 31026B2BA is printed on the side of the can, but it's not clear to me whether this is related to the beer or the can (it's not a stamp or anything, it's printed like the can label). Bought in Arizona, flown to WA.

Pours slightly cloudy with a biggish coarse pale head, some carbonation. Orange/copper in color. Smell is good, but muted. Pine and slight floral, a little citrus.

Taste has a slight metallic hint, which I never like. Slow piney finish. Somewhat bready or toasty. Again, slight citrus and floral notes.

Mouthfeel also hints at metal.

Overall, if it wasn't for that metallic hint, I think this would be a pretty solid beer. Even as it is, if I was going to be sitting in one place for a while and it was this beer or no beer, I'd have another. But there are many, many beers I would choose over this as is. (869 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours out a dark amber with a fairly thick head. Smells strongly of citrus hops with loads of caramel malts. A bit of toast in the nose as well. Tastes very malty. Too malty for an IPA for my tastes. Lots of caramel and toasted malts. Solid citrus and bitterness from the hops, but the malts run this beer. Also, I get a ton of fruitiness from the yeast, which reminds me of gummy candies. Mouthfeel is smooth in the carbonation, but it's a bit sticky and thick for what I look for in an IPA. Overall, this isn't my favorite IPA. Too sweet and malty. (550 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can best by 4 Aug 14 at 45 degrees into standard pint
Aroma of pine
Head huge (10.5 cm), white, creamy, slowly diminishing to 1-2mm layer,
Lacing good, very full rings with varying size bubbles
Body orange-amber, clear
Flavor piney, slightly bitter, ending chalky; no alcohol, no malt, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, carbonation lively

Overall, a decent IPA. Not out of the ordinary. Meh. (394 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. can poured into tulip
(April 14, 2014 best by date)

L: dark copper ... burnt orange with loads of amber in it; almost 1/2-inch head of white to off-white foam that does stick at the top, not a ton of lacing; crystal clear, as clear as any IPA I've poured

S: pine and citrus ... a bit of grain; gets into a candied orange at times but not full-on caramel; with that said, it's super sweet

T: follows the nose more or less with lots of bitter pine up front but a real citrus/candy citrus sweetness on the back end

F: good all around, nothing remarkable good or bad

O: I worked through a six-pack of this one, and it started off very piney/citrusy with loads of sweetness and evolved closer and closer into a caramel bomb ... even this last one, however, still holds on to quite a bit of good citrus taste with some pine still in there.

I'd only buy this beer again if I can find it fresh ("fresh" here being at least six weeks from its best-by date). I prefer grapefruit/hard citrus IPAs with the piney notes following, and this beer had a lot of that when it was fresher. Definitely a solid brew. (1,109 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

12 oz. can poured into pint glass.

A-Two fingers of foam, nice lace, dissipating slowly. Great amber color.

S-Initial pine hop aroma, with caramel malt.

T-Sweet maltiness in the front with lingering pine and grapefruit hop flavor.

M-Low-mid carbonation with lighter body than some others in this category. A little, but very drinkable.

O-A long-time favorite of mine that is beginning to be replaced with even more aggressive, hop driven IPAs. A six will still make it to my fridge on a regular basis, but less now than before considering the competition and Modus' recent price raise (from 8.99 to 9.99) in Chicagoland. (626 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

This is a beautiful, almost perfect looking IPA. Pours a deep gold-orange with a finger a half of tight, sudsy white head. Good lace retention too.

In terms of smell, you get a big whiff of pine as soon as you crack the can. This dominates for the duration, with just a faint whiff of sweet orange in the background.

Taste is a little one-note at first, with big cool hop, piney bitterness dominating. Like the smell, there are hints of orange and caramel as the beer warms and mellows.

Mouthfeel is really great -- seemingly creamy and dry at the same time, with a long lemony finish.

A big piney IPA that doesn't deviate too far from the formula, but it's solid and well-done. (682 characters)

Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.