Modus Hoperandi - Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 03-03-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Modus Hoperandi Alström Bros

HillsdaleHops, Sep 15, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -16.3%

Can to pint glass.

Light copper amber color.

i smell light fruit tones but mostly pine.

Taste - For the first few drinks, the bitter then the pine was not pleasing to my old taste buds. Pine is just not what i typically look for, however, after the taste buds got accustomed to it, i enjoy it.

Easy drinker. Leaves you with a citrus pine taste.

sampstar, Feb 10, 2011

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

Chefley09, Tuesday at 06:16 PM

ekegren, Dec 20, 2012
4.14/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from can into pint glass.

Appearance: 1 inch head (with great lacing while drinking), beautiful copper/bronze color, really clear. From the look of the head, the carbonation seemed like it would be heavy, but it was standard for an IPA.

Smell: Pine, grapefruit, biscuit, herbal.

Taste: Initial taste is bitter with pine tones, finishes really with sweet malt and begging to try another sip. The taste is influenced by the smell and is delicious. Grapefruit rind is prominent and the IBUs seem way higher than the given 65, but the finish begs to differ.

Mouthfeel: Balanced malt with the hops, really a perfected IPA.

Overall: This beer has won me over, from the initial pour, I knew I was going to love it. Ska Brewing has created a masterful IPA, highly recommend! If you see it at your local shop, buy it.

bradmclaughlin, Apr 03, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours bright orange with a thick creamy head that slowly fades to leave nice lacing throughout the glass.

Hoppy, dank, piney smells all hit the nose with no remorse. This one is definitely for hopheads.

The taste follows the smell on this one. Sharp piney bite with a bitter grapefruit quality as well. Thanks for the hops! There are malty qualities to this, but I cannot note anything specific... I'm just loving the sharp hop taste.

Mouthfeel is somewhat astringent. Finishes dry and crisp.

This is drinkable, but it has the potential to be a palate wrecker. Few things will be able to follow the hops in this, so schedule your drinking accordingly.

jonesy613, Jan 31, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -18%

I've left my original review below but I have changed my ratings after tasting the beer again.

The smell was the the biggest change in the beer this time around. I got a resiny piny character that I liked and there was no diacetyl that I could smell.

I had this beer in a blind taste test so I didn't know what I was having.

When I saw this beer I was excited because it looked a rich amber color and a nice light tan head. The smell was horrible though. I was expecting a rich hoppy smell but what I got was diacetyl and cheesy hops. The can could have been old but that wouldn't explain the diacetyl. I was incredibly let down by this beer.

I would be incredibly hesitant to ever try this again.

johnnytfresh245, Aug 27, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +10%

A short review here, my first.

I love this beer and have it often. Pours a lovely color.

Aroma is delightful. In a pint glass, aroma is strong of hops. Nose stinging even.

Strong hops right on the tongue, and lingers. Cuts through other issues, including gum, food, ginger, whatever.

This evening, perhaps contrary to convention, had a couple right out if the can! Still tough to beat.

Have had these before in similar style on an extended camping trip, cooled in the creek. Delightful.

edwino, May 30, 2010

Javagila, Dec 27, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Tjlongo90, Jul 30, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

A great introduction beer as I'm getting into IPA.

DenimcouchAlex, Aug 16, 2014

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

LA_FRESH, Aug 24, 2014

GeoDude969, Aug 02, 2013

KountryKat22, Jul 15, 2014
Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.