1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Modus Hoperandi - Ska Brewing Co.

Modus HoperandiModus Hoperandi

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 03-03-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Modus Hoperandi Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

4.16/5  rDev +1%

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from the new ska can into a shaker style pint

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear amber/copper with a 2 finger head that quickly subsides and leaves a thin layer floating. Patchy lacing. I have to applaud Ska for the clarity of this beer. Typically I could care less about clarity but this beer is so outstandingly clear that I think it deserves merit for that.

Smell- Citrus/Floral hop bouquet. Not really as piny as I expected after reading the description on Ska's website. The aroma was a tad disappointing only in that it wasn't as pungent as one might think and it faded quickly.

Taste- Citrus and a kind of earthy-grassy taste. Reminded me of a kolsch at first. It's a very clean sharp bitter bite that won be over here. The bite gives way to a sweet breadiness that in turn gives way to another burst of bitterness left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- Smoooth. Very smooth. If I didn't know it wasn't a nitro can I would have thought it was. Not peppery and highly carbed like many American IPAs.

Drinkability- Could certainly kill more than my fair share of these floating down a TX river. Excellent easy gulping beer for a hot day or a night out on the porch or pretty much anything.

Overall- More and more I am coming around to the idea of craft beer in cans. I was skeptical at first, but after trying this, some of the Oskar Blues offerings, and of course my local Southern Star's brews, I have to say that its not such a bad idea. Anyways give this beer a shot it you like your pale's nice and balanced and smooth; you won't be disappointed.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured into a tulip.

A: Deep golden/burnt orange hue, nice two finger head and excellent lacing all over the glass

S: Smells like sticky, sweet, hoppy goodness. Not really getting much floral or pine, but a slight grapefruit aroma pokes through.

T: Lovin' this beer. Nice and bitter, with the malt hiding perfectly behind the bitter hops...be afraid malt...be very afraid.

M: Resin coats the mouth with a slight numbing of the tongue. Honestly, I would drink this over many DIPAs out there eight days a week. Great carbonation.

D: Keep em comin'

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Brilliant yellow to gold. One finger of tight white head, slowly dissipating to a fine lace. Good carbonation. Not too light or too dark, the way you would imagine an IPA should look.
S: Hop forward for sure, grapefruit and pine with a hint of spice/pepper. A faint malt aroma. Malt bill is not too complex on this one.
T: Just like the smell, best IPA I have had. It has a quality that all great bears have, and that is being two or more things at the same time. This is bitter yet smooth somehow. All the bitter citrus and spice, not muddied up with too much malt and cut with the right amount of alcohol.
M: Light and crisp, great tingle. Highly hopped without burning tooth enamel off.
D Highly, could drink this all day long. Very balanced. It is great that Ska continues to package great beer in cans without losing any quality.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours deep orange-amber into the glass, with a firm sticky suds head that leaves thick lace. Huge pine and grapefuit nose. Bold bitters surround grapefuit and some malts. Long bitter pine finish. Bold palate and sticky mouthfeel. Wasn't sure if an IPA can go in a can. But, this is a Great IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Very smooth, well crafted would definitely recommend this brew.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a 12 oz can into a DFH signature snifter.

Nice amber color, a little darker than a typical IPA, but very nice.

Smell is of citrus, hops with a piney finish. Not an overpowering nose, but very pleasant.

Taste is well balanced, with a nice finish. It doesn't have a lingering aftertaste, although you definitely taste the hops all the way through. The bitterness is just about perfect, in my opinion.

Mouthfeel is light. The overall drinkability of this beer is great. In terms of a "session" IPA I would highly recommend this. The fact that it comes in a can certainly doesn't hurt.

Top Notch!

3.13/5  rDev -24%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass. Can dated best by 9/11/11.

Pours a clear copper color with a one finger head with poor retention. This must be filtered, because it's incredibly clear for an IPA.

Grapefruit hops in the aroma, but I can also pick up some sweet bready malts as well.

Taste is grapefruit hops up front fading to a malt backbone that is more subtle than I expected from the aroma. It then fades to that bitter, dry, tongue coating finish -- in a good way. A hint of alcohol near the end too. Looking back on this paragraph, it's accurate, but sounds better than I think the beer actually is. I think the beer is good, but I would like more bitterness and a more complex hoppy flavor. Part of this may be influenced by the mouthfeel.

As I just mentioned in my last sentence, I think more carbonation or more bitterness is necessary in this beer. This beer does manage to be thick and dry at the same time, which lends itself to this moderately low carbonation, but it lacks the bite I'm looking for up front.

If not for the $2 price difference here (this was 10.99 for six), this beer could easily compete with Dale's Pale ale as my go to tailgate (i.e. I have to drink from a can) beer. However, although the beer is enjoyable, I probably wouldn't buy it again for home consumption with all the other better IPAs available to me at similar or lower prices.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

This is a fun, strong hop-rush. Tons of pine and citrus rind up front with a long resiny finish. The malt tastes very repressed -- not much sweetness or roastiness. Would buy again!

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Poured can into a pint glass. Light amber color with a bit of orange. Looks good with nice head.

S: Citrus hops very prominent.

T: Like the malt balanced with the hops. Good hop presence here.

Mf: Nicce mouthfeel with a really good carbonation. I like the can deal.

Overall: Love the can for a really good beer. It makes for less room in my fridge for a good beer.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

This is my favorite IPA in a can. This is way better than the Decandent IIPA, just by aroma alone. This one is very, very dank with lots of pine and herbs and a sticky, resinous scent. The first thing I think is that I need to buy some cans every time I go to the store. The palate is spot on, just sticky enough. Great flavor here too. Lots of evergreen and even notes of mint with some smooth caramel-tasting malts.

Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing Co.