Autumnal Molé Stout - Ska Brewing Co.

Autumnal Molé StoutAutumnal Molé Stout

good

Ska Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: gtermi on 09-21-2012)

bhurley, May 30, 2013

cking113, Nov 21, 2014

Jester_Fossica, Nov 16, 2014

benlaverriere, Nov 09, 2012

MidwestBA, Nov 18, 2014

Hacksaw34, Oct 26, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

Great Stout , the aroma is awesome Mexican chocolate Cinnamon, nutmeg , dont get any alcohol in the nose .It taste even better . Overall a great brew actually but me a couple 6 packs to put away .

hophead86, Oct 12, 2014

abex44, Oct 17, 2013

Eriktheipaman, Oct 14, 2012

RichH55, Jan 22, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

A - Color is lovely dark brown, as you would expect in a stout, with the head retention of a glass of mineral water. I poured half of it aggressively and finally decided to shake up the rest in the bottle with my thumb on it to discover the head is a deep brown color. The foam that poured out dissipated in seconds, with an unprecedented alka-seltzer sound. I imagine the large amounts of powdered adjuncts are preventing the head from remaining.

S - Sweet chocolate and spice

T - The first thing that hits me is textbook high-end Mexican hot chocolate. I feel like someone's abuelita just handed me a glass that was sitting in the fridge for awhile. Dark chocolate with various spices and chile following quickly. Smokey pepper, cinnamon, and piloncillo. Its a shame there was no head retention, as this type of drink is typically served Frothy! The head retention was surely sacrificed to the gods of Smell and Flavor here. I will say it was a daring trade off. The last thing I taste is lingering dark bitter chocolate and some balancing sweetness.

M - Medium body. you can feel the powdered adjuncts, but they blend in well enough that it doesnt become irritating. The finish is light, with a slight slickness.

This is a hard one to rate for me. I believe this Chile Beer style primarily exists to provide the connoisier with a new experience. The smell and taste do that in spades. Its extremely difficult to get many of the fresh flavors this beer has to survive the brewing process and arrive on your palete. The mouthfeel and especially the appearance suffer, though. Overall I recommend it, but I feel the brewmaster(s) may have been able to get more head retention somehow. Maybe we could see this in a nitro can or nitro tap.

beersands, Dec 02, 2012
4.49/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My wife brought this home for me a couple days ago. I had never seen it before. I'm usually not a big fan of chili beers, but I'm a huge fan of stouts.

A: Extremely dark and opaque. This is one of the darkest beers I've ever seen. Even when holding it up in front of a light bulb, I see nothing. Has a well developed head with moderate retention. I just really enjoy looking at this beer!

S: The chili odor is noticable but mild, does not dominate like other chili beers. Coffee and possibly the slightest hint of cinnamon are also present. Enjoyably complex.

T: Mole Stout is a very appropriate name for this beer. The pepper is mild up front, with a rich, somewhat toasty cocoa finish. The pepper tingles the throat on the way down. Even without the pepper, it would hold it's own among other stouts.

M: The pepper gives it a very remarkable feel, tingling the mouth just the right amount.

O: I had a couple of these the other night and I thought it was a pretty good beer, but now that I'm able to sit down and taste it objectively (and sober) I'm realizing what a remarkable find this is. The most amazing part of it is the pepper, because of how subdued and mellow it is, blending perfectly with the chocolatey toastyness of the rest of the beer. I just can't get over it. Other pepper beers are all pepper, often ruining the palate for anything with a lighter flavor, but I could easily drink several of these with out getting tired of it and still be able to taste my food. Good job Ska!

jrnichols, Apr 18, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Poured out a jet-black color with a one-finger, light brown head of bubbly foam. It left sticky rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of chocolate, chillies and a touch of cinnamon. So good.

T - Just a good as the aroma. Roasted malt, chocolate, spicy chillies and some cinnamon. Great balance of heat and sweet.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry, clean finish.

O - This is a really good beer. It's not a sixer I'd want to session all night but one or two really hits the spot.

zeff80, Oct 30, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

UncleBuccs, Jan 09, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

beercubus, Oct 09, 2012
Autumnal Molé Stout from Ska Brewing Co.