Autumnal Molé Stout - Ska Brewing Co.

Autumnal Molé StoutAutumnal Molé Stout

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: gtermi on 09-21-2012

Ratings: 394 | Reviews: 92
2.51/5  rDev -29.9%

Chile beer? More like a vegetable beer. It looks fantastic, but it's all down hill after the pour. the aroma is average at best and the flavor profile is muddled, erratic, and discombobulated. The level of foul vegetable is so pungent it drowns out any of the mole/chocolate notes. A friend of mine that tasted the beer described it as "burnt plants and gasoline in a can". I tend to agree.

Not one to bash beers, so I will just leave it there.

3.33/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - Pours black, may'be a little thin, with a tan khaki head that pretty much dissipates to nothing.

S - The smell gives off a lot of spices and roasted malts. There's a bit of heat on the back of the smell.

T - The chilis hit you first, but it's not a punishing heat. Honestly, the chilis are may'be overpowering other flavors as I'm not getting much else besides roasted malts.

M - A bit thin bodied and medium carbonation.

O - Interesting, just not something for me.

3.76/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

From a 12 oz can (best by February 9, 2014) into a snifter.

A-The brew is pretty much black and opaque. The beer sits beneath a short-lived head of dirty brown foam. The head starts out at about one and one-half fingers, but fades quickly and leaves no lacing.

S-The malts give off a bit of roast, char and molasses up front. The chile spice is noticeable, as well. The chiles, combined with the roasted malts, give off a roasted/charred chile aroma. I also smell some cocoa and a hint of milky sweetness.

T-The taste is a bit lighter with less in the way of roasted/charred flavors. There is still a bit of molasses, but the chiles are more prominent with light, oily heat and a vegetal spice flavor that reminds me of chile flesh, i.e., what a pepper actually tastes like. I also get some cocoa powder and cinnamon.

M-The feel was on the light side for a stout with average carbonation.

O-I admit to having a soft spot for chile beers (stouts in particular) and I enjoyed this beer. It is a little harsh and disjointed at times, but it provides a good dose of chile aroma and flavor and decent complexity with the cinnamon and cocoa. The mouthfeel drags the score down a bit, but I would drink this again on a cool fall day like today without complaining.

3.11/5  rDev -13.1%

A tough act to follow after the Speedway Stout, I poured this beer from a twelve ounce can into a snifter. I had picked the can up earlier in the day as part of a mix-a-sixer at Whole Foods.

The beer is a dark brown/black in color with a khaki-colored head. Hues of light khaki appear on the edges of the beer when held near light. After pouring form the can, only a slight head emerged.

The smell immediately reminded me of many of the pumpkin beers I've had recently. There were dark, sweet and molasses-like malt aromas, but then chocolate showed up, followed by a sharp punch of spicy chile. There's something pungent and subdued about the aroma, as if I'm smelling it through a wet sponge or something, and this hurts the overall smell.

The taste is very similar to the aroma, both in good and bad ways. The chile provides a bit of kick and a unique, piquant bite and is a good complement to the chocolate, coffee, caramel and dark malt flavors, yet the odd, pumpkiny, subdued flavors at the finish affect the overall taste.

Just as the flavor is affected, so too is the mouthfeel, as this beer presents a challenge to the palate. Spiciness mixed with an odd pungency make this beer less smooth going down then one would like. In the end, it's an okay beer, but still one that can't hang with other, better spicy stouts.

3.35/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A standard pour of Ska Brewing's Molé [sic?] Stout produces a jet-black, opaque body and about an inch of dark brown foam. The head neither lasts long nor leaves any traces behind. The body is opaque even when held up to against bright light, which means that the only way to judge the beer's carbonation quota is to observe the bubbles that pop on the surface. I count about 4 in 10 seconds. Will this beer feel too thick and heavy on the palate?

The nose comprises a bouquet of aromas typically appreciated in both stouts and dark mole sauces. Roasted dried chipotle peppers and dark-roast coffee dominate. They're complimented by easily appreciable fragrances of anise, cinnamon, roasted coffee beans, and smoke. Bottoms up!

The taste isn't as balanced as the nose. Roasted chili peppers overpower the other flavors. Stouts typically yield flavors of dried fruit and chocolate, both of which are found in some varieties of mole sauce. If they're contributing to the beer's flavor profile, I can't distinguish them.

The beer is certainly full on the palate, but it's also insufficiently carbonated. I failed to produce any foam in the last few sips.

Molé [sic?] Stout is as confusing as its misspelled name. It isn't a bad as a chili/spice beer, but both the spelling oddity and the beer's off-balanced flavors make me wonder if the brewers understand what mole is supposed to taste like. In the end, I'm glad I tried it, but won't revisit.

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours the deep brown you'd expect from a mole stout. Small off effervescent almond head that dissipates almost immediately, leaving almost nothing behind, and no lacing. Looks like a carbonated cup of deep rich coffee. Would be really nice with a little bit of head.

Smells earthy and savory. This is absolutely mole. Roasty savory chocolate with some spices: cinnamon, cumin. There's a touch of nut and some vegetal peppers as well. Go figure!

The flavour is more of the same, but much richer. This is a very smoothe and drinkable beer, but holy mole (NO ONE HAS EVER USED THAT PUN EVER, I'm SURE!), it really is wholly mole. Cold carbonated mole. A lot of the same notes as the nose: chocolate for sure for sure, cinnamon, cumin, burnt/roasted malts. Some chili, and a mild pepper heat as it comes down.

I mean, this boils down to two things. Do you like mole? Do you like drinking mole? If you answered no to either, this probably won't be for you. It IS however a very well crafted beer: complex and layered: an excellent representation of what it's trying to be. I am glad I picked it up, and am enjoying the experience, but it's not one that I'd want to make my go to every day: I'm just not interested in drinking mole all the time. Definitely worth checking out, though.

3.96/5  rDev +10.6%

can into a tulip.

pours a pitch black with a nice beige head that very quickly dissipates. the smell is big on chili peppers and not much else. not too overpowering though. the taste is different. it starts out quite sweet and the chili peppers come in on the finish, but don't linger. very drinkable actually. not very hot at all. medium bodied with light carbonation.

overall as a fan of chili beers I like this one a lot. recommended.

3.6/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer poured an opaque brown with a decent amount of sediment and little to no head. The aroma was of sweet caramel malt and cocoa that did not fully encapsulate the flavors to come. The taste was slightly sweet and malty with less cocoa on than the aroma, but what the aroma did not represent was the spice. There were flavors of cinnamon and cardamom with a slight hint of clove which was all very autumn appropriate. While I didn’t detect much heat from the chile peppers I did detect a bit of their bittery presence. The flavor did leave the lingering presence of Mole on my palate which is an obvious target. Definitely an interesting brew and probably with more heat fresh.

3.95/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

blargimus had sent me a box of CANs and although I was quick to get tone77 his share, I put mine in the reefer to chill and then got caught up with both school and a heavy influx of bottles, all of which are now put to rest.

From the CAN: "Equinox-Recycle-Vision-Pod-Serpent-El Costillo-Solar-Worship-Scoville-Recycle-Harvest"; "Hand-Crafted"; "Seasonal Stout"; "Ale with Peppers, Cocoa and Spices".

The Crack posed no difficulty nor did I experience gushing or any other form of problem. That may have been a bad batch. An inverted Glug began a nice bit of pseudo-cascading action, but I finally had to back off to avoid overflow. I had a brief, fizzy finger of deep-tan head with low retention as the result of my efforts. Color was a deep, dark-brown which allowed ZERO light penetration. The melange of scents emanating on the nose was fabulous! Chile pepper? Check. Cocoa chocolatiness? Check. Other unidentifiable spices? You bet. No lacing, but an oily film laid atop the beer. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and I was worshipful of the idea that they did not go overboard on the Scoville units. Just as IBUs measure a beer's hoppiness, SUs measures a pepper's heat and I am not terribly tolerant of heat. This tasted like my buddy, Ernie's, mom's mole and that is saying something! She was a great cook and knew how much I appreciated her culinary works. The three main ingredients really worked well together to create a spicy, peppery, chocolaty taste that I find hard to describe otherwise. The finish held a heat that lingered well after the swallow and I am again glad that they did not go overboard. This could be a scorching beer if they allowed it to be as such. Phew. This is what I would describe as an acquired taste.

3.39/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours black as coal with a very quick tan-brown head. Looks like burnt motor oil. Aroma is dark chocolate covered nuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, very dark roast barley, and bourbon. Taste follows the aroma and has a bittersweet chocolate tang finish. Not getting any of the chile. The boozy bourbon taste leads one to believe this is more than a 5.5% ABV. This reminds me of bourbon filled chocolates. Had this with a chicken mole burrito. Not very food friendly. Would be better with chocolate - Senior Murphy Chile Cream Chocolates to be exact!

3.42/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Black with a quickly dissipating fizzy head to a point where there is absolutely no head--looks like a cola in that respect; lacing is non-existent

S: Lots of spices up front--smells like a pumpkin pie and then comes the pepper--sweet and spicy; some roasted chocolate malts but mostly a ton of pepper and autumnal spices

T: The pepper is subtle but it plays well off the sweet chocolatey malts; the spices are also much more subdued than I would have thought--based off the aroma profile; this is balanced up front but unfortunately the sweetness becomes almost overpowering toward the finish--cloying actually

F: A touch thin and undercarbonated but the pepper and chocolate provide a chalky and sticky presence that more than makes up for it

O: What a strange, interesting beer; it looks like "still" cola but it sure tastes different; I like elements of a lot of this beer and I hate elements of a little bit of this beer; hmmm

2.48/5  rDev -30.7%

12 fl oz. can, with a best by date of 02/23/2013, so I am a little late to the party, but I'm not scared. Well, not too scared at least. I have already drank 4 cans out of the 6, and so far they were all gushers, so I'm expecting this one to explode also and pour ignorant amounts of foam.

Poured into a St. Bernardus Watou chalice.

A - It's official; it is impossible to pour this beer without spilling some of it and having splatter go flying all over. Impossible. Even a gentle pour generates a ridiculous three and a half fingers of fizzy bubbling mocha colored head. The short-lived head is the best looking thing about this beer while it lasts; it fizzles out immediately and leaves behind a flat looking body. Body is a dark brown / opaque black color, but still appears watery and thin. Looks more like a cola than it does a beer.

S - Smell is musty, yeasty, & carbonated. Some light coffee bean roast, chocolate, and chiles.

T - Body is over carbonated, tingly, metallic. Chile spice is hot and rough & grainy. Gives the beer a pervasive hotness which comes off too strong, drowns out the coffee and chocolate flavors, and leaves the beer feeling too spicy & feeling like it has more alcohol than it actually does.

M - Feel is crisp and carbonated. Again, this is more akin to a cola than it is a stout. Not a very heavy beer, just doesn't sit well with me. Hot, peppery aftertaste.

Overall, a failure of a beer from Ska Brewing Co. in my opinion. I can't really pick out a single thing I enjoy about this beer. Gushes foamy head everywhere, flat appearance, smells & tastes like a soda mixed with taco seasoning, with a pervasive chile presence. This isn't a stout, this is just a chile soda with some alcohol added. Avoid.

Ska Brewing Mole Stout ---2.5/5

4.49/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My wife brought this home for me a couple days ago. I had never seen it before. I'm usually not a big fan of chili beers, but I'm a huge fan of stouts.

A: Extremely dark and opaque. This is one of the darkest beers I've ever seen. Even when holding it up in front of a light bulb, I see nothing. Has a well developed head with moderate retention. I just really enjoy looking at this beer!

S: The chili odor is noticable but mild, does not dominate like other chili beers. Coffee and possibly the slightest hint of cinnamon are also present. Enjoyably complex.

T: Mole Stout is a very appropriate name for this beer. The pepper is mild up front, with a rich, somewhat toasty cocoa finish. The pepper tingles the throat on the way down. Even without the pepper, it would hold it's own among other stouts.

M: The pepper gives it a very remarkable feel, tingling the mouth just the right amount.

O: I had a couple of these the other night and I thought it was a pretty good beer, but now that I'm able to sit down and taste it objectively (and sober) I'm realizing what a remarkable find this is. The most amazing part of it is the pepper, because of how subdued and mellow it is, blending perfectly with the chocolatey toastyness of the rest of the beer. I just can't get over it. Other pepper beers are all pepper, often ruining the palate for anything with a lighter flavor, but I could easily drink several of these with out getting tired of it and still be able to taste my food. Good job Ska!

3.46/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Seems like the cinnamon chocolate stout craze is catching on. Fine with me

Dark pour, a bit inky with a semi flat head. Slick.

Aroma is nice, perhaps a bit discombobulated. Cinnamon and chocolate are alive yet struggle to separate from each other. Hard to pick out

Flavors of cinnamon and chocolate are more pronounced yet still a touch weak. There smoothness just needs to come through more. Chile flavor is even weaker, and the chile spice is overcome a bit by some sweetness.
Still, a darn fine beer, just needs a bit of fine tuning. Great dessert beer

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a black color with thin beige head, around the .65" range. Decent lacing on one side of the glass. Aroma, didn't really scream chile beer, it did have a strong spice cabinet, heavy on the cinnamon and nutmeg more than anything else. Instead of cocao, it came off more like cola. The spice? Meh.

Taste followed in a similar vein to the aroma, not enough two row, too much spice rack shit. It was one of those beers that was unique for about 2 oz. Then every 2 oz. after that became more taxing, less enjoyable. Had too much carbonation too. You can tell in the mouthfeel that there are peppers there, and the flavor of them isn't too bad, they're just accompanied by too much other weird stuff that is distracting and a negative effect on the overall beer. Tastes like it has more alcohol than it does.

I would actually like this beer without the cinnamon, nutmeg and whatever. Stick with the basics in a chile beer. Chiles, chocolate, 2 row.

3.58/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to the creator of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is spicy chili peppers. Taste is unique, spicy yet not hot per say, a bit of cocoa, a different flavor that, while good, is not something I would want a steady diet of. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a unique and unusual beer worth a shot.

3.58/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A- Pours a deep brownish black that is almost opaque. About one finger of tan head that dissipates quickly.

S- I pick up on chocolate and coffee aromas and a little bit of a peppery smell. Also picking smell some roasted malts.

T- The dominating flavors are coffee and burnt cocoa but I can also pick up on the peppers. They are not overwhelming and do not add any real spiciness, but they do add an interesting flavor. It is sweet with the slightest bit of hop presence.

M- Pretty light mouthfeel for a stout with a moderate amount of carbonation. Pretty crisp for a stout.

O-Tasty brew in my opinion and certainly not a typical stout. I wish it was a little more full bodied but I would have it again.

3.24/5  rDev -9.5%

The colour is dark cold brown (50 EBC), the liquid is clear. There is no head, foam or lacing at all.

The dry smell is fruity-spicy with distinct hot notes of reserved chili fruits. Green peppers, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger.

The taste is spicy, but not as hot as I ha expected. Mostly nutmeg and cinnamon. Behind the spices, I think I can discern a clean and dry stout with some burned malts. Some clean bitterness, some malt sourness. Cocoa and toffee. Medium body. The aftertaste got growing chili notes and some alcohol. Cola beans and a light spicy sweetness. The finish is warming with some lingering bitter flavours and sweet toffee flavours.

The carbonation is medium strong, the small bubbles sharp and short-lived. The liquid is light and a little dry.

3.84/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Sweet packaging, cool picture on the front of the can. Like the name of the brew too, very cool! Side poured from a can into a mug with standard vigor. Pours a jet black color with very little head or retention, but incredible lacing. Every drink you take is illustrated in the lacing on the side of the glass!

Smell - Smoky chocolates, malts, dark chocolate, and a hint of peppers and spices as the brew warms. A little subdued but good nonetheless.

Taste - A nice smooth coffee and chocolate flavor is intemixed with spices such as nutmeg and chile peppers. Very unique, as this style typically is.

Mouthfeel - A real smooth finish, similar to the stouts from which the beer takes its name. The chile peppers and hot sauce really come alive at the finish of the beer. Medium bodied with minimal carbonation.

Overall - This is a pretty tasty brew overall. I would certainly recommend trying it, for it is tasty! Very unique style, tasty. you can ue this brew to impress your beer snob friends as something they may never have had. Check it out next chance you get@

4.06/5  rDev +13.4%

Blackety black with a dark brown highlight to it. Very quick dark brown head with no retention. The beer looks oily.

Smokey pepper mixed with coffee, dark chocolate and coffee make up the aroma. Very chipotle-ey.

Super roasted malts mixing well with chocolate and coffee. Palate is slick and oily. This is a chile beer where you can taste the chili's. But they aren't overpowering. Everything seems to come together very well.

3.6/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: The beer is jet black in color. It poured with a two finger high mocha colored head that dissipated within 30 seconds, leaving only a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of chocolate roasted malts in the nose along with some hints of smokiness. Some hints of chili peppers become noticeable as the beer warms up.
T: Like the smell, the taste has flavors of light roasted chocolate along with notes of nutmeg and hints of chili peppers.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This is a very drinkable chili beer because the peppers aren't that prominent and don't contribute any heat to the taste.

2.45/5  rDev -31.6%

12oz can into a snifter

A: Pours pitch black with two fingers of off white foam that quickly settled to nearly nothing. Horrendous head retention.

S: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and slight chile peppers. I get a bit of milk chocolate in the background. I get really no malt or malt aroma at all, really nothing resembling beer.

T: Slightly smoky chile peppers upfront with cocoa nibs, cinnamon, and nutmeg in the bakcground. Though the flavors are nice, there are really no typical beer flavors at all in this beer.

M: Thin with very low carbonation.

O: A decent drink, but not a very good beer. I really can't taste anything outside of the chocolate, chiles, and spices.

3.47/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a snifter.

Appearance: Poured a dark brown/off black with a small amount of head. No lacing.

Smell: Toasted malts, hint of vanilla, some chocolate, that's about it.

Taste: Non descript stout, chocolate hints, slightly woody. I can't taste any chile peppers at all.

Mouthfeel: Feels pretty light, smoot, not much carbonation. Very easy to drink and I would for sure drink this again of it was free.

Honestly wasn't that special, maybe it needs somthing to set it apart but for me it was just another dark beer. I couldn't find any chile peppers in this brew at all.

3.57/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Pours an opaque black in color with some crimson red highlights visible at the edges of the glass. The beer has a thin (less than quarter finger) beige head that reduces to absolutely nothing. No lacing is observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of cinnamon with some lighter notes of chocolate and chilis.

T: Moderate flavors of dark malts, coffee, cinnamon, bittersweet dark chocolate, and some chilis. There is a light amount of bitterness and chili heat in the finish.

M: Medium bodied with light amounts of carbonation.

O: Probably the easiest drinking beer I have tried in the Chile beer style and it has a nice complexity of flavors to it. Not something I would want to have multiple in a session but definitely an enjoyable beer.

1.87/5  rDev -47.8%

Thanks Dan! 5 oz. poured into a C&B tulip on November 9th, 2012.

A - Thin for the style. Deep brown with very little frothy, tan head. Decent amount of alcohol legs.

S - The overall aroma does smell a bit like mole, but its not a particularly complex or big recipe. Cinnamon, light chocolate, coffee grounds, and a little roast.

T - Any promise of the smell is shot down. Light on every flavor here, which includes further cinnamon, dark chocolate, chipotle pepper, and espresso. A bit of dried, caky dirt.

M - Very thin, light body. Low carbonation. Semi dry finish. Feels incredibly watery.

D - Bleh. The feel is among the worst I've experienced in the style. Aroma had a bit of hope but nothing can save this one. Honest drainpour.

Autumnal Molé Stout from Ska Brewing Co.