Join our email list →

Hibernal Vinifera Stout - Ska Brewing Co.

Hibernal Vinifera StoutHibernal Vinifera Stout

Ska Brewing Co.
Colorado, United States | website

Foreign / Export Stout | 8.00% ABV

Beer added by: JMBSH on 12-29-2012

Oak Aged Foreign-style stout brewed with Malbec grape juice.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.78/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 10 oz. can into a globe.

A: Purple, almost mahogany with very slight lacing on the top.

S: Alcohol, maltiness.

T: A Light stout in flavor. RIght off the bat I detect remnants of grape, adding a nice sweetness overall.

M: Light-bodied. Carbonation dances on the tongue.

O: A good stout. I will get it again, yet not anytime soon.

4.6/5  rDev +15.9%

From a 12oz can to a miniature snifter.

Look: Deep dark black with a tan head that retains quite well while leaving a sexy lacing down the glass. Looks inviting!

Smell: Roasted malt, phenolic fruit, sweet grape and sharp oak. nice!

Taste: Sweet back note to a nice bitter roasted malt. Acidic wine and dry oak flavor on the back end. Very well balanced. This is by far the best wine/stout I've had, well done Ska!

Feel: Great full body and little carbonation. The oak and wine help dry out the finish but leave your taste buds tantalized!

Overall: One of my favorites. Great format, great price, and perfectly what it is suppose to be!

4.06/5  rDev +2.3%

A: Deep and dark; slight purplish. A little lacing.

S: Grape and oak smells.

T: Strong oak and grape flavors. With nutty, malt, and earthy undertones.

M: A strong oak-aged stout that shows its alcoholic flavor at times.

O: Tasty and rich in moderation, too many may become too much. Great and interesting beer though.

4.24/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - rich, dark brown, seems viscous. Pours slowly and distributes easily into pint glass. Head disappeared rather quickly, but did not detract from aroma. Very little residue on sides of serving pint glass after a few drinks.

S - deep aromas of dark chocolate and unsweetened cocoa. Essence of plum, dark grape, oak and cedar. Even some brown butter later after drinking.

T - initial milk chocolate progresses into notes of darker chocolate, bing cherry, strawberry, oak and hints of black pepper. The grape flavors seem more subtle than the other fruits but are there. Finishes off-dry like dark chocolate or a big red wine with a fading creaminess at the same time.

O - an innovative offering of the style with the Malbec grape juice and oak aging. Pair with grilled and roasted dark meats, purple beats, eggplant, berries, raw shellfish, chocolate cakes and puddings, white cheeses but maybe not bleu or feta.

3.46/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance- Motor oil, dark tan 1 finger head

Smell- Chocolate, some roastiness, vanilla

Taste- Huge hop flavor at the front of the tongue, middle dark bitter chocolate, coffee, caramel, bourbon notes, finish is bitter, roasty, dry coffee

Mouthfeel- Full-bodied, motor oil thickness

Overall- Overall, this is an excellent imperial stout. I don't pick up any of the malbec grape juice, but I think that's a good thing. I would definitely buy it again.

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Drunk from a highball glass filled from a can.

Color: Black, with red tinge near top and bottom when held up to the light

Aroma: Vanilla and cocoa with a Ponderosa or Sequoia somethin something

Taste: Sweet vanilla with fruity-biscuity conveyance

Mouthfeel: A little limp and dry for something with this much going on

Linger: Dry to the point of mildly bitter. Vinous, but not thick

My take: A meal in a can kind of beer. Somewhat complex, with a thick drip-down-the-esophagus feel attendant to the style, and a lingering mouth presence, it should not be sessioned or taken with dinner. I might grab some sharp cheddar for my next gulp.

4.93/5  rDev +24.2%

Yumm. Didn't really realize exactly what I was ordering...I only knew it was the rotating Ska stout on tap. My companions went with pilsners and lighter beers on a fairly hot end of August afternoon, but I have never been disappointed in any Ska beverages in my glass and was not disappointed. As I mentioned, all I knew was that this Ska was a stout and nothing else about it, not even the whole name. Under the circumstances, a late lunch on the restaurant patio in late summer, I feel like it was the perfect stout to have. Not as heavy, creamy, or bitter as many stouts, I found it refreshing. The dominant flavor to me being a sweet, carmel-ly, coffee, with none of those three adjectives being dominant or overwhelming. A hint of carbonation made me wonder if it was on nitro, but it was not. I imagine it would be wonderful if it was on a nitro tap!
About 2/3rds through my pint, our Bavarian pretzel appetizer came with both slightly spicy mustard and beer cheese that seemed to pair really well. That was when I also began to question the ABV. I'm not a big fan of many high ABV beers that I feel like I can taste the alcohol, if that makes sense. So when I asked our server about it and he told us he thought it was only 5 to 6%, I figured it must have been my empty stomach making me feel the effects.
The misinformation about ABV also gave me less inhibition about joining in for a second round with my meal and my fellow companions. Although plenty flavorful, my tastebuds did not get overwhelmed by the second glass. It also paired nicely with my blackened salmon sandwich.
Looking back, after looking up the details of what I drank, I'm sure some of the sweetness was from the grapes....makes sense....though I'm glad I was able to try it without preconceived expectations. The complexity of the flavors gives the beverage just a taste of fruitiness.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Hibernal Vinifera Stout from Ska Brewing Co.