Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

El Jefe Weizen Ale - Hale's Ales Brewery & Pub

El Jefe Weizen AleEl Jefe Weizen Ale

good

Hale's Ales Brewery & Pub visit their website
Washington, United States

Hefeweizen |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: cvschaller on 03-12-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of El Jefe Weizen Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.29/5  rDev +22.6%

My wife brought this back from a trip to Seattle:
Pours a murky golden straw little in the way of a white head. Smells awesome- definite notes of banana and yeast; in a word, I would describe it as inviting and delicious.
Tastes also of bananas, with a little bit of bitter (though not hop bitter) at the end.
My only wish is that it were a little more carbonated, but this is an awesome brew. Many thanks to my wife for procuring it for me (441 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -16.6%

It was surprisingly clear for a Hefeweizen. The head was fizzy and dissipated quickly. The smell was quite yeasty and a bit alcoholic--reminded me a bit of La Fin du Monde. Taste was a bit odd. Some banana came through, most clearly in the aftertaste. It was not bad, but it was not good enough for me to really enjoy drinking it; so I had to mark it down for drinkability. (373 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Whoa! , First taste and I though mighty German but the finish was weak. It did remind me of a fine German Weizen I had several years ago introduced by a German Soccer player. A summer weizen perhaps, not sure where El Jefe is perhaps in Argentina?, No this one somehow is in the PNW. (283 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +16.6%

Smell out of bottle is primarily malty with subtle hops.

Nice yeasty, unfiltered look. Head that settles but never dies, floats on top.

Nice milky first feel, malty but zesty citric taste, but not too overpowering or too sour. Not too bitter.

Smell out of glass is more lemony.

Even though it's winter time now, I can tell this would be a spectacular summertime beer.

Subtle apple, but smooth and no bad aftertastes. (421 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -9.1%

22 ounce bottle. Pours a hazed light amber color with a buttery head that leaves a lacey ring. Aroma is aromatic and pleasant with a balance of banana and citrus. The appearance is somewhat hazy golden-colored body with a large. Fizzy with a slightly acidic tang that contains mild fruit flavors. Finishes with a dry taste and more hopped than a typical Hefe. A full bodied version of an American wheat with a mild banana and clove essence. (440 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -41.1%

22 oz bomber poured into a weisbierglas. Big frothy white head of at least 1.5 inches fills to the top. I don't really pick up much nose, maybe some hops.
First pull tastes faintly lemony or fruity in some way. Next I start smelling bathroom cleaner and, by goodness, I think I'm drinking the 'scrubbing bubbles'.
I poured out the remaining 2/3 of the bottle. This offering from Hale's falls far short of Widmer or Pyramid for sure. It's not even on the same scale as the Bavarians.
When I studied in Seattle in the early 1990's, Hale's Pale Ale was the first micro that I really, really liked. Bummer, El Jefe tastes like the boss of the janitors! (652 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -36.3%

Serving: Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Color: Dark yellow/orange with a medium haze.

Smell: Some citrus and banana.

Taste: Sour with a slight citrus. The after taste reminds of what my mouth felt like after eating Sour Straws as a kid. (254 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last