Join our email list →

UAB Švyturys - Utenos alus
Lithuania | website

Kellerbier / Zwickelbier | 5.20% ABV

Beer added by: atis on 08-28-2010

My fave local trader, tone77, brought this for me in our last trade and I wanted to get a picture approved before I popped the cap. It may seem like a simple thing, but I like to borrow a school camera overnight because mine is too low frills and does not take sharp enough pics for this site's purposes. Bro. Jason has been lightning-fast of late with regard to pics and it went right through!

This is a Nefiltruotas Alus or unfiltered beer, so I went heavy-handed on the pour to really stir things up. I really find it hard to believe that this is currently properly identified as a "Euro Pale Lager", given the wispy white head and the cloudy orangish-yellow color of the beer. It had a citrus-y tartness, like wheat and lemon zest and I was thinking Hefeweizen. In fact, I am going to suggest just such a change. Mouthfeel was medium, which is about right for a Hefe. Finish was semi-dry, slightly tart, certainly refreshing. I kind of wish that I had opened this during the summer as I may have enjoyed it a little more. I wonder where tone77 scored it. It was unusual and a nice addition to their lineup for me, but it was overall pretty pedestrian.

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of grains, malts, a touch of skunk? Taste is crisp, lots and grains, some malts, just a touch of hops is present. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

2.64/5  rDev -12.3%

500 ml bottle from Lithuania.

Pours pale yellow with champagne-like bottles that almost immediately disappear, no lacing. Aroma is pleasant and somewhat strong citrus malt.

Taste is sharp bitterness with with hints of grain, slowly drying finish and light citrus aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light with moderate carbonation.

Although some aspects of this beer are slightly better than other Švyturys brews, I did not like it too much.

Švyturys Nefiltruotas Raw from UAB Švyturys - Utenos alus
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.