Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Limbo IPA - Long Trail Brewing Co.

Limbo IPALimbo IPA

Long Trail Brewing Co. visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: luvbier on 10-12-2013

A big, mouth-watering IPA, brimming with all the flavors and aromas of the new breed of hops coming from Australia and the Pacific Northwest.
Reviews: 204 | Hads: 1,668

What a pleasant surprise!! Strong smell of grapefruit... Love everything about this IPA! Best offering by Long Trail to date in my opinion. The 7.6% ABV is well hidden. Will certainly buy again and recommend to anyone who enjoys IPA's.

Citrus aroma hits you right in the face followed by good, clean citrusy hops up front and a smooth bitter finish that is also refreshing. Great beer!

4.89/5  rDev +19.6%

Living in West Rutland, VT gives our family the opportunity to visit the Long Trail Pub and Brewery frequently since it's only 30 minutes away. Limbo is definitely near the top of my list of favorite IPAs. It's got a great citrusy flavor and goes down smooth. Fantastic beer!

4.89/5  rDev +19.6%

This puts Long Trail on the map for me. Very satisfying, distinctive and well balanced. Making the move to the farmhouse and a more artisan offering seems like a bold and savvy move for Long Trail. This has become one of my go to ales. right up there with Oakshire watershed and Heady Topper. Perfect after a cross country ski at the Craftsbury Touring Center.

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

Long Trail Brewing Company continues to be the most consistent Vermont brewery and with the introduction of this beer, has asserted itself in my mind as the best Vermont brewery. Yes, HT is the best beer ever, but for me Limbo is the best IPA FOR ME!!!! A pleasant hop aroma that is not overwhelming, a mouth feel that is just shy of perfect, and a hint-of-grapefruit aftertaste that is pleasant without the sledgehammer affect is what motivates me to fall in love with Limbo. Well done Long Trail, you have provided me the perfect winter beer in Limbo!

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Long Trail has hit a home run here. No joke... Long Trail. Seek it out and try it. Citrusy, very crisp, wonderful bouquet of fruit and floral notes. Great beer. I was shocked.

4.82/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I have been drinking this beer for a while now, in fact had a 6 month stint where it was one of the only IPA's I was drinking. If you have not given this one a chance yet, you should, it is pretty great.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Light amber color

S - This beer has a very distinct and special smell... my nose was in heaven at first sniff... tropical, citrus, soooo goood.

T - Amazing IPA with some of the most complex floral hops I have ever smelled/smelt... I can never remember which word is correct... If you know Long Trail then you understand how outside of their normal style this beer is! Please make more beers like this one!!!!

M- Light body

O - Very happy that this beer is getting popular! Seeing it in more and more stores! Limbo is going to be one of your favorites if you like crisp, west coast style IPAs. Enjoy.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Honey colored and clear as a bell, an inch of bone white head, spotty lacing in the tulip.

Aroma is hop forward all the way: mouth watering scent of galaxy hops wafts into your nostrils and makes you salivate as if you are Pavlov's dog hearing a bell sound. Juicy tropical fruit aromas are abound.

Taste starts out bright and juicy with delicious tropical fruits followed by a piney wave accompanied by an orangey blast that makes the next sip more than welcome.

Mouthfeel is in on the lighter side of medium, carbonation is spot on with a nice bite, and the dry finish is superb.

Final marks are based on a combination of exceptional quality, outstanding price point @ $10.99 for a 12 oz. six pack, and abundant availability (supermarket and craft beer stores in Vermont and the Northeast). Limbo is an outstanding hop forward IPA that puts Long Trail on the map as a hip Vermont brewery.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Consumed straight from a bottle; I know it's heresy but i was served it as a guest.

From what I have seen in pictures it appears to be orange. I can't accurately comment on this aspect. Even out of the bottle I get some tropical fruit, some pineapple, fresh citrus, and maybe a bit of mango, on the nose. On the palate I get the pinnacle of balance in an ipa. Juicy, tropical fruits come through at the forefront followed up the the slightest but appropriate balance of some pale caramel malts, and maybe a bit of a bready flavor. I was not expecting something like this from Long Trail at all. Highly recommend it; it's easily one of the better IPAs I've ever had. I would definitely consider buying this again and enjoying the full experience in a snifter or tulip.

4.79/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

One of the best IPAs Ive had in a very long time. Great citrusy taste and is excellent served out of a tap. The Long Trail Brewing Co. just started to put it on tap only around 3 months ago but I was fortunate enough to have it on tap. One of the beers that I feel like would be better served from a pint glass rather than a bottle but I do recommend it around 50 degrees with a 10 degree margin. Great mouthfeel, aroma and appearance but I would space it between eating

4.77/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fresh growler poured into a stemmed pilsner glass. The first thing that hits you is the incredible sweet, floral/citrusy blast that fills your senses. Pours a nice orangey/copper color. Mouth feel is a bit thinner than I like. All in all an absolutely terrific IPA from Long Trail.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a 13 oz tulip, get this bottled 12/4/13 two days ago. Pours a clear and bright orange with a two inch sticky white head, coats the glass with lace. Smell is loads of tropical flavors, mango, passion fruit, Pineapple, tangerines, and some hints of grapefruit. Taste is all of that fairly subtle in the start, with an explosion of grapefruit and mango in the finish. Body is medium to large, nice carbonation, hints of dryness, and very drinkable having the time a patients to feed 3 kids and savor this beer is amazing restraint on my part. This is awesome and at $9.99 a 6 pack a bargain.

4.74/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Bottled on 3-6-14.

A - Golden colored with thick white head.

S - Tropical fruit, grapefruit, and orchid.

T - First fruit - orange and lots of peach. Then a great, balanced sweetness from the malt to enhance the fruit flavors. Some mild onion and herbal flavors. Finishes medium-dry with some residual bitterness and pine.

M - Perfect body. Not too malty and creamy, but with enough heft to let you know this beer means business. Carbonation just right.

O - Immensely impressed with this beer. At 7.6% ABV, skirts right in between IPA and DIPA range and hits the perfect sweet spot. The tropical fruit flavors really stand out. Really a hop-lovers dream with Mosaic, Galaxy, and Chinook represented. A great value and cool artwork, too.

4.71/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: slightly orange, subtle bubbles

S: I was blown away. One of the best smelling I've had

T: amazingly subtle for such a high octane (7.5%) ipa.

I stumbled across this beer at Wegmans in downingtown. I was on my way to victory and was looking for something new. At $9.49 a 6er this is an unreal beer.

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler obtained at the brewery one day prior into a Spiegelau IPA Glass. (I failed to ask when this particular batch was kegged, but I can only assume it was uber fresh).

A- Pours a hazy, sunset orange color with a 1-1/2 finger soapy, white head. Based on the beautiful lacing left behind after each sip shows the aggressive hopping regiment of Limbo. (4.75)

S- Pithy aromas of Pine, Tropical Fruit (Passionfruit, Mango, Papaya), Lemon/Lime Zest and Mint all battle out for dominance. Surprisingly absent in the nose is the familiar grapefruit citrus aroma I find in a majority of IPA's. (4.75)

T- A slap of citrus rind bitterness hits first, followed by a wave of sweetness that is equal parts malt and tropical fruit. A tacky, resiny feeling follows the malt and tropical sweetness which lingers, but a fleshy, orange sweetness is the last the flavor detected on the palate. Despite the calculated 80 IBU's, the 'juicy' finish is very unexepected, yet welcome change from many other IPA's flooding the market. (4.75)

M- Although far from a sipper, Limbo is medium bodied and drinks heavier than advertised 7.6% ABV. (4.25)

O- Although I'm certain there will be many that disagree, Limbo reminds me (in aroma, flavor and mouthfeel) of another well-received Vermont IPA in Lawson's 'Sip Of Sunshine.' That said, Limbo is undoubtedly THE beer that will force many a seasoned craft beer enthusiast (fond of IPA's, of course) to take another look at Long Trail Brewing Co. They have re-branded their packaging, are barrel aging and continually release new beers under their 'Brown Bag' series...many of which are quite good. I am impressed with how far Long Trail has matured in the last 2 years. (4.75)

4.63/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured gently into an ipa glass. Really nice beautiful off-white frothy head capped the golden-straw hued beer. The aroma is quite delightful with pine and citrus prevalent. The taste is flavorful, not too bitter and easy to drink. The mouthfeel has some bite on the palate and finishes well with only a slight aftertaste. I liked and enjoyed this Long Trail IPA. Well done!

4.59/5  rDev +12.2%

Does everyone make great IPAs these days or what? I've had a lot of different Long Trail and always thought they were middle of the road all the way around, but this is a knockout. Overpowering aroma of pine needles, grass and grapefruit -- you can smell it before the beer gets to your nose. Hazy golden color, lots of lace. Taste is puckering, sweet, juicy. 7.6% seems hard to believe. Top flight IPA.

4.59/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Heard promising things about this IPA so I had to grab a six pack! The color is a light amber tone when poured and has a soft fluffy head. I absolutely loved the first inhale I took. I was hit by a bold grapefruit and citrus scent with a smooth tangy finish. The flavor totally lives up to the smell as well. Its juicy and soft with a bite of fruity citrus on the end. I really love the rich flavor it has! Its nothing too complex, but I like that about it. Its smooth, fruity, and straight to the point with that classic hoppy bite any good IPA should have!

4.59/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is probably one of my new favorite beers. I know Long Trail has disappointed people with past beers that are out, but I heard nothing but good things about this one. I am not a huge IPA guy so I was nervous to try this but it so smooth and the taste was superb, I honestly did not want to put this beer down. With an ABV of 7.6% this beer won't take long to kick in. Overall impressed with the appearance, smell, taste, AND mouth feel! Thumbs up Long Trail!

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Golden with 1/2 a finger of off-white head that dissipates quickly. Sediment is suspended throughout the glass along with low carbonation.

Passion fruit, peach, lime, tangerine, and pineapple. HOLY MOLY!

Passion fruit, lime and tangerine juiciness. Peach, papaya, and nectarine. Notes of dank florals along with drops of pineapple juice and honey. Light biscuity malts form the backbone with a candy sugar sweetness.

Medium bodied, juicy and smooth.

Tropical & stone fruit, dank and refreshing. Juicy with a low bitterness. A superb IPA and a new favorite of mine.

4.56/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a sick pack at Redstone Liquors in Stoneham MA

Smell is mango, tropical fruit, grass, and "pineapple candy" as the girlfriend put it.

Tastes similar to the smell, lots of tropical fruit with a perfect sweet malt base to balance the moderate bitterness. Extremely drinkable.

Spot on carbonation and mouthfeel for an IPA - a bit heavier though than some other west coast styles.

Overall a fantastic and exciting brew from Long Trail. Being one of the breweries that got me into craft beer, I've always been a fan of their regular lineup - but this is one to write home about.

4.54/5  rDev +11%

I know that I have been eschewing bottles and trying to reduce my backlog, but my high school classmate, Mike, came by last night for a bomber bottle blowout and dropped one off for me. It was cold when he got here, so I kept it cooling in the reefer and decided to knock it out while I transcribe some of the notes from our debacle.

From the bottle: "A big, mouthwatering IPA, brimming with all the flavors and aromas of the new breed of hops coming out of Australia and the Pacific northwest."

My anxiousness led to an aggro pour which resulted in a pseudo-cascade and two fingers of rocky, eggshell-white head with good retention. Color was that shade of deep-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity that always seems to call forth the Unholy Trio of Mammon, Croesus and Midas. Nose had the tropical fruit quality of a roll of Tropical Fruit Life Savers! We used to unroll one of each (mango, coconut, papaya, pineapple) and put them all in our mouth at the same time. That sensation was what this smelled like (plus a little bit of dank for good measure). Hee hee. Mouthfeel was a bit thin, frankly. The taste was fantastic! Fruity as all get-out, not at all alcoholic and at 7.6%, with a grassy mellowness. Yowza! This was the antithesis of those Black/Cascadian IPAs, which seem to waste the hops, IMHO. Here, the hops were put to fantastic use. I took a break to put on my knitted hophead to enhance my enjoyment. Finish was bone-dry, hoppy as heck and unrelenting. It was a step below a DIPA, but the lingering fruitiness also put me in mind of Juicyfruit gum. I remember kissing a girl in high school that always chewed Juicyfruit. Good times, man, good times.

4.54/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint Glass. Liquid comes out a golden/bronze/copper/amber color with absolutely perfect clarity. Off white to orangy colored frothy looking head. Crazy amounts of lacing on this that clings for life to the glass the whole way through. Looks like a road map of froth on the glass, pretty cool looking.

Smell is really good. Since it's an IPA, you can guess what jumps out at you.... the hops. Nice aromas of some nice floral hops, followed by some crazy juicy citrus hop aromas and hints of juicy tropical fruits as well. Some nice roasted caramel malts present as well.

Taste is crazy good. Slightly toasted caramel malts producing a nice gooey sweetness. After that it's followed by crazy juicy tropical fruits(more pineapple than mango). After that there's plenty of fresh juicy tangerines and some over ripe grapefruit, then orange and some orange peel/zest. Everything meshes so well together. One of the better IPAs I've had in awhile.

Mouthfeel is great, nice clean, crisp medium bodied beer. Starts reasonably smooth that starts like a nice both natural and sugar coated sweetness. After that there's a nice linger towards an appropriate wet, but clean bitter finish. Really nice the whole way through. The drinkability is INSANE on this beer. I've tried to review this one a few times now, but can't seem to sit with just one. I said it before and I'll say it again, Long Trail and Otter Creek have been KILLING it lately!

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Long Trail Brewing Co. - Limbo, poured into a DFH Spiegelau IPA glass.

Look - Pours and settles a clear filtered but with sediment off-copper with a small foamy head that dissipates quickly and leaves a film. Rings of lacing.

Smell - Galaxy hops most prominent with some pine on top. Dank citrus with a side of pine.

Taste - Interesting, starts citrus sour grapefruit and then fades to pine. A bit of a clash here but still good. You'll crave this later on.

Mouthfeel - Light-medium bodied with medium carbonation. Boozy as hell but exceptional drinkability.

Overall - It's great in a super unique way, at first I wasn't a huge fan but color me impressed. This brew has something for everyone. This has been my go-to IPA lately.

Limbo IPA from Long Trail Brewing Co.