Limbo IPA - Long Trail Brewing Co.

Limbo IPALimbo IPA

Long Trail Brewing Co. visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: luvbier on 10-12-2013

A big, mouth-watering IPA, brimming with all the flavors and aromas of the new breed of hops coming from Australia and the Pacific Northwest.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,443 | Reviews: 186

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.54/5  rDev +11%

I know that I have been eschewing bottles and trying to reduce my backlog, but my high school classmate, Mike, came by last night for a bomber bottle blowout and dropped one off for me. It was cold when he got here, so I kept it cooling in the reefer and decided to knock it out while I transcribe some of the notes from our debacle.

From the bottle: "A big, mouthwatering IPA, brimming with all the flavors and aromas of the new breed of hops coming out of Australia and the Pacific northwest."

My anxiousness led to an aggro pour which resulted in a pseudo-cascade and two fingers of rocky, eggshell-white head with good retention. Color was that shade of deep-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity that always seems to call forth the Unholy Trio of Mammon, Croesus and Midas. Nose had the tropical fruit quality of a roll of Tropical Fruit Life Savers! We used to unroll one of each (mango, coconut, papaya, pineapple) and put them all in our mouth at the same time. That sensation was what this smelled like (plus a little bit of dank for good measure). Hee hee. Mouthfeel was a bit thin, frankly. The taste was fantastic! Fruity as all get-out, not at all alcoholic and at 7.6%, with a grassy mellowness. Yowza! This was the antithesis of those Black/Cascadian IPAs, which seem to waste the hops, IMHO. Here, the hops were put to fantastic use. I took a break to put on my knitted hophead to enhance my enjoyment. Finish was bone-dry, hoppy as heck and unrelenting. It was a step below a DIPA, but the lingering fruitiness also put me in mind of Juicyfruit gum. I remember kissing a girl in high school that always chewed Juicyfruit. Good times, man, good times.

3.96/5  rDev -3.2%

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

3.72/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into a pint glass over the weekend. Bottled on 5/20/14, so not quite 2 months old.

Pours very nicely. A dirty orange color, with an enthusiastic thick white foamy head. Lacing is very thick indeed.

A bit disappointing on the nose, not getting much at all.

Bitterness from hops, but no citrusiness at all. Just didn't seem that special to me.

Medium on the mouth, with lingering dry bitterness.

Overall, just not feeling it from this beer. The one think that it does very well, is hide the 7.6 abv. No warmth detected. Could be trouble there. I have to say that overall, I find Long Trails offerings pretty uninspiring, though love the platinum. Perhaps it's just me and the water up in Vermont that dont't get along.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Limbo IPA from Long Trail Brewing Co.