Long Trail India Pale Ale - Long Trail Brewing Co.

Long Trail India Pale Ale
No picture uploaded.
good

Long Trail Brewing Co. visit their website
Vermont, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.00% ABV

Real India Pale Ale (IPA), as it was first brewed in the days of the British Empire, was not the carefully filtered brew that we call IPA beer today. The first IPAs were unfiltered and featured extra hops and higher strength as a preservative for the long trip from England to the colony of India. Our Traditional IPA ale is naturally carbonated, dry-hopped & unfiltered like the old days.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Long Trail India Pale Ale Alström Bros

1.1/5  rDev -69.4%

All right folks let me get right down to the nitty gritty of this terrible beer. Its smells bad, but it gets worse from there, it taste like they brewed right out of some India pond water mixed with 200 proof rubbing alcohol, it burns in your mouth, its that bad folks.

1.5/5  rDev -58.2%

1.68/5  rDev -53.2%

120707 on bottle. Poured into SA Imperial Pils glass.

Pours a straw-yellow color, two finger head, moderate carbonation, & little lacing.

I rarely run into this but I cannot smell much of anything. Faint brown sugar & lemongrass; butterscotch booze.

Oily mouthfeel. Not much in the way of malt but flavor turns into a buttery, sour mix that leaves the mouth tart with a plastic, alcohol after taste.

There is something wrong with this beer; bad bottle.

1.75/5  rDev -51.3%

1.75/5  rDev -51.3%

2.03/5  rDev -43.5%

I have to guess that this is part of a mistake-batch. The appearrance is fine, amber with a nice head, the bubbles are a little big. Smell has a little caramel and some hop spice. Taste - One of the hoppiest brews? no. one of the wateriest brews, yes. wicked thin mouthfeel, horrible aftertaste. If I could pick up any real evidence of spoilage I would not review it, but this is just sad. To call this an IPA is strange. I can tell you what would I call it, but....

2.3/5  rDev -35.9%

I bought this beer on a whim this weekend because it was a brewery I hadn't tried out yet. What also intrigued me was that it was unfiltered and I've been having good luck as till late with unfiltered beers.

Summary analysis: I didn't care for this beer-- will not be buying it again.
Flavors were muted.
Crisp IPA smell was non existent-- Smells like a pilsner if anything.
Color was appropriate.
Carbonation was fine.
Price : $10/ 6
Location: PA

2.35/5  rDev -34.5%

A: poured a good frothy head but the thin yellow color of the beer left something to be desired.

S: no nose. nada.

T: I tasted nothing on the first few sips. The beer had little to no presence. After letting the beer sit on the counter for awhile, the first taste I noticed was one of an oxidized beer. After another spell on the counter I began to pick up on a strong hops flavor that didn't combine well with the color or the meek malt taste.

M: the beer was thin and watery.

D: I'd been looking forward to trying this beer but it didn't live up to my expectations. It was fine to drink but I wouldn't buy another six pack. I would like to try a pint from the tap to see if the taste improves and whether the bottle I tried was spoiled.

2.35/5  rDev -34.5%

Long Trail India Pale Ale poured a clear gold color with a snow white head. The head was about a finger thick but thinned quickly. The thinner head stayed throughout the pint and left lacing down the entire glass. The smell was almost non-existent. A few earthy hop tones but nothing pronounced and much less robust than I expect from an IPA. The taste went along with the smell, nothing jumped out. Not malty but also almost no hop flavor. This beer seems more of a standard English Bitter than an IPA. Light hop notes and not sweet, but in no way an IPA. The mouthfeel was average as was the drinkability. An unfortunately uninspired IPA.

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

Long Trail India Pale Ale from Long Trail Brewing Co.