Long Trail India Pale Ale - Long Trail Brewing Co.

Long Trail India Pale Ale
No picture.
good

Long Trail Brewing Co. visit their website
Vermont, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2000

Real India Pale Ale (IPA), as it was first brewed in the days of the British Empire, was not the carefully filtered brew that we call IPA beer today. The first IPAs were unfiltered and featured extra hops and higher strength as a preservative for the long trip from England to the colony of India. Our Traditional IPA ale is naturally carbonated, dry-hopped & unfiltered like the old days.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Long Trail India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,127 | Reviews: 416
1.12/5  rDev -68.8%

All right folks let me get right down to the nitty gritty of this terrible beer. Its smells bad, but it gets worse from there, it taste like they brewed right out of some India pond water mixed with 200 proof rubbing alcohol, it burns in your mouth, its that bad folks.

1.71/5  rDev -52.4%

120707 on bottle. Poured into SA Imperial Pils glass.

Pours a straw-yellow color, two finger head, moderate carbonation, & little lacing.

I rarely run into this but I cannot smell much of anything. Faint brown sugar & lemongrass; butterscotch booze.

Oily mouthfeel. Not much in the way of malt but flavor turns into a buttery, sour mix that leaves the mouth tart with a plastic, alcohol after taste.

There is something wrong with this beer; bad bottle.

2.05/5  rDev -42.9%

I have to guess that this is part of a mistake-batch. The appearrance is fine, amber with a nice head, the bubbles are a little big. Smell has a little caramel and some hop spice. Taste - One of the hoppiest brews? no. one of the wateriest brews, yes. wicked thin mouthfeel, horrible aftertaste. If I could pick up any real evidence of spoilage I would not review it, but this is just sad. To call this an IPA is strange. I can tell you what would I call it, but....

2.32/5  rDev -35.4%

I bought this beer on a whim this weekend because it was a brewery I hadn't tried out yet. What also intrigued me was that it was unfiltered and I've been having good luck as till late with unfiltered beers.

Summary analysis: I didn't care for this beer-- will not be buying it again.
Flavors were muted.
Crisp IPA smell was non existent-- Smells like a pilsner if anything.
Color was appropriate.
Carbonation was fine.
Price : $10/ 6
Location: PA

2.36/5  rDev -34.3%

A: poured a good frothy head but the thin yellow color of the beer left something to be desired.

S: no nose. nada.

T: I tasted nothing on the first few sips. The beer had little to no presence. After letting the beer sit on the counter for awhile, the first taste I noticed was one of an oxidized beer. After another spell on the counter I began to pick up on a strong hops flavor that didn't combine well with the color or the meek malt taste.

M: the beer was thin and watery.

D: I'd been looking forward to trying this beer but it didn't live up to my expectations. It was fine to drink but I wouldn't buy another six pack. I would like to try a pint from the tap to see if the taste improves and whether the bottle I tried was spoiled.

2.36/5  rDev -34.3%

Long Trail India Pale Ale poured a clear gold color with a snow white head. The head was about a finger thick but thinned quickly. The thinner head stayed throughout the pint and left lacing down the entire glass. The smell was almost non-existent. A few earthy hop tones but nothing pronounced and much less robust than I expect from an IPA. The taste went along with the smell, nothing jumped out. Not malty but also almost no hop flavor. This beer seems more of a standard English Bitter than an IPA. Light hop notes and not sweet, but in no way an IPA. The mouthfeel was average as was the drinkability. An unfortunately uninspired IPA.

2.45/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Looks like there's a lot of sediment floating around. Pale, golden color. Smells slightly hoppy. Tastes less average than most IPA's. Bitter tasting..no real hints of anything else besides some hops. Not very pleasant on the tongue. Thin and carbonated. Maybe I just got a bad one, but it doesn't taste like it "went bad". Not a lot of flavor here, at least for my taste and the aroma wasn't anything special. At an ABV of 6, I'll pass.

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle claims it to be one of the hoppiest IPA's made...uhhh I don't taste it that way...

Great looking beer....clean, clear, amber...bubbly white head..

Nose is more herbal, or tobacco like than anything else..not a real strength in my eyes..err ears...

Taste has some bitterness to it on the finish...some piney notes...not much citrus...maybe some earthy qualities..I don't think this is loaded with hops at all but it is somewhat unblanced...the body is light for an IPA and the malt load seems pretty low...thus the bitterness is relatively strong on the finish..

Not my type of IPA...I generally like the beers this brewery makes but I would not buy this again..

2.51/5  rDev -30.1%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Advertised itself as unfiltered IPA.

A: Cloudy yellow with a thin white head. Appears unfiltered as described.

S: Aroma lacking hop scents. More sweetness than anything. Plain Jane.

T: There is some bitterness, but not much. More dry than anything and the aftertaste is too dry. Can call it balanced but boring.

M: Highly carbonated, not real stickiness.

D: A dull beer that leaves you wanting more kick but I guess that makes it drinkable.

2.52/5  rDev -29.8%

Original Rating Date:
July 5, 2008

Really weak IPA. Not really very hopped at all, more of a fruity pale ale. That being said, it isn't bad. Smells average, little bit fruity. Tastes a little hoppy, but pretty mellow for an IPA. Some fruit comes through in the taste along with spices. Average IPA, there are far better ones out there.

2.56/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nice hazy golden orange color. Decent head of thickish suds only piles up to about 1/2 inch even after an aggressive pour. Nose is dull. Faint smell of hops and fruit. Taste is not overly hopped but very bitter aftertaste lingers for a long (trail) time. As the beer warms is has a medicinal, cherry like flavor reminiscent of Shipyard IPA. I remember liking this a lot more in the past. It was always a great bargain at ten bucks a twelve pack. Obviously batch control is an issue and I would be hard pressed to purchase this again with so many better local IPA's to choose from.

2.56/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Does nothing for me. Somethings not right with the balance.

2.6/5  rDev -27.6%

Very cloudy for an IPA, pours an orange/yellow color with a decent head that quickly backs down, but doesn't recede completely. Decent lacing as well. Not as much head as most IPAs, but still acceptable. Faint smell of hops and slightly fruity though no smells are particularly potent. So far so good. Unfortunately, the taste is where this starts to fall apart. Again, weak on the hops although oddly still bitter despite this. Perhaps there is not enough balancing with malts going on, but it's hard to tell. It does feel nice swirling around though. Overall, I wouldn't say this is very drinkable for me as the beer seems to be only bitter with not much else going on. What impresses me about many IPAs is the ability to pound you over the head with hops while balancing it out in some way so that it's not unpleasant. This is unpleasant with no balancing and not even that much hop flavor.

2.6/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a straw color with a thick white head that leaves average lacing.

Aroma are mildy hoppy, not much malt to detect in this guy, wish there was more aroma as well.

The taste is fairly hoppy character, with more hop bitterness than I expected (from the aroma) in the finish. I am not a fan to be honest, too heavy on the bittering hops and not enough in the aroma for my liking.

Mouthfeel is average; there is average carbonation and a light body that leaves your mouth feeling wet (as opposed to a dry finish). Overall, there doesn't seem to be much to this beer (especially compared to Long Trail's DIPA which is a real winner in my opinion); I've had much better examples of the style.

2.63/5  rDev -26.7%

A: snifter. pours a clear mostly yellow color with a orange hue. yellowish-white head with a low retention rate and light lacing.

S: weird aroma, almost smells like epoxy...seriously. mild sweet malt aromas, with a nice tangy hop smell taking over.

T: very mild flavor. it tastes like the hop flavors have been dropped out, could be an old bottle, but there are no date on the bottle. mild malt flavor with an equally mild hop flavor...tastes like a hoppy kolsch.

M: low body with a moderate carbonation level. smooth and crisp, but seems watery.

D: I think that this was an old bottle, based on other reviews. But I could be wrong(it was acquired in a recent trade). I could drink several of these, even with the off flavors.

2.7/5  rDev -24.8%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle marked: 011309-797911. Sampled on July 29, 2010.The pour was a straw-yellow color with a thin fizzy, carbonated head. The aroma had a stronger malt note than hops but it was also a bit skunky. The look and smell reminded me more of a macro pale lager. The taste was a tick better with a more malty sensation but little in the way of hops. Long Trail usually satisfies my beer thirst but based on the other reviews I have read I had to have had a bad bottle because this really had no IPA feel to it at all. I hate to admit it but it tasted more like Colt 45 or OE800 although not quite as biting.

2.72/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear golden with a nice two finger head with some healthy lacing. Looks like apple juice. Lots of carbonation. Not bad

Aroma: Pine and grass. Light citrus. Mild toasted malts in the background but mostly all hops

Taste: Way more subdued than I was expecting. Some citrus and a little bit of floral grassy hops but it stops there. The malts almost completely cancel out the hop pressence. But there's not much to the malts either. Biscuity and that's it. I'm all for a balanced beer but not when it leaves you without any flavor. Bland and unremarkable

Mouthfeel: True to Long Trail this is very clean and refreshing. If it weren't for the color I would think I was drinking water...which isn't a good thing

Overall: Wouldn't recommend personally. Not for fans of IPAs or any other style. Just not enough happening here for my blood. I wanted to like it, but it just didn't happen

Edit: I'm reading other reviews which seem favorable so maybe I just got a bad bottle but I wouldn't try it again based on my experience

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Strange. Not anything like any IPA I've ever had, English or otherwise, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Barely any head, lacing or HOPS! Hop presence was extremely weak and lacked flavor. A mild bitterness that carried through in the finish was the only indication that this was supposed to be an IPA. Not even as hoppy as most APA's. Malt was rather sweet and a touch grainy, but even that was less than robust.

Not a terrible beer by any stretch. Quite drinkable, but this is not a good representation of the style.

2.76/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottle courtesy of the ever generous csmiley. Thanks, dood.

Appearance: This one's a light golden/bronze color. It's very clear despite it's "unfiltered" claim. I was expecting to see something in there. The head is a modest finger deep and vanilla in color. It disappeared quickly and left a very light lacing on the glass.

Smell: The nose is below average. That might even be generous. It's very weak and doesn't have any strong qualities. Frankly, the most predominant characteristic is a grainy smell. There's some other light fruity scents. Smells like a little pineapple and grapefruit. Hops are very faint and insignificant. Perhaps that's a little more acceptable in an English IPA, but not much. I sure hope the flavor has more to offer.

Taste: Disappointing. It's not any better than the nose. It does have a strong grainy quality to it that resonates throughout. There's some light fruit flavor there, but I can't really tell what it is. It's not strong enough. There's some hop flavor, but it's weak. It's more dry than anything. Not much of a bitter factor. Again, I understand this is an English IPA, but c'mon! That's all you can do with hops? Man. It finishes dry and grainy.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light to medium bodied. It's not quite smooth, but it's not bad. Probably a little too thin for the style. Drinkability's very average. The flavor doesn't really have much to offer. I'm going to struggle through this 12 oz.

Long Trail needs to go back to the drawing board with this one. It's way too short on hops and overall flavor. The nose suffers a great deal just from its blandness. Overall, not very good. I won't be a repeat visitor.

2.76/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Lacks depth. Not very well-balanced.

2.77/5  rDev -22.8%

A murky yellow body with a small white fluffy head.As the head goes down,there is some lacing.Head falls to a cap that take up the whole top of my glass.Nice lace marks where I take my sip all the way down the glass.Smell of citrus and some malty goodness.The taste is a toned down cascadish taste,not overpowering in any way.Clean aftertaste,I cant really put where I taste the malt at in this beer.You sorda have to pull to get a good smell.The worst part about this beer is the watered down taste.All in all this beer isnt bad but I wont be going out of my way to try it again untill they make some changes

2.83/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a four finger white head that fades slowly and leaves a good lace. Cloudy light amber color. Piney/hoppy nose. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is piney/hoppy as expected, lingering bitter finish. Mellows a little as it warms. 12oz bottle part of 12-pak $10.99 Market Basket Concord, NH.

2.83/5  rDev -21.2%

This one is a clear golden brew with a one inch head. The aroma is of hops and is a bit spicy to the nose. Its flavor is hopy, but is dulled a little bit by the malt. The hops do not realy come out until the aftertaste. Mouth feel is medium bodied and is generously carbonated. It goes down easy, as this is not an in your face IPA. I think that they should take off the statement on the bottle that says “one of the hoppiest brews in the states”. Blasphemy.

2.86/5  rDev -20.3%

A- golden copper with a nice white head

S-hops hops and more hops, that is about it

T- bitter hop profile upfront with nothing else going on. This beer's hop profile seem totally out of whack

M- balanced

D- the fact that the hop profile is so out of balance hurts this beer. I will finish the sample pack but that is about it

2.89/5  rDev -19.5%

I have had a couple beers from Long Trail so when I saw this at Sam's Club for $6.46 I decided to grab it. I was searching for a serviceable IPA for dinner and not much more. I drank it from a Guinness pint glass.

A) The appearance was pretty typical for an IPA. Straw golden colored. It had a pretty large head with lots of carbonation.

S) One of the joys of an IPA is the strong floral and/or citrus aroma of the ale. This one had bupkus in terms of aroma. It was very, very disappointing.

T) The taste had the bitterness of an IPA but not the flavor we associate with a high quality one. My guess is that they used hop pellets instead of the hop. I didn't taste any hop oils.

M) I actually thought it had a very nice mouthfeel. It had strong carbonation.

Overall, I think I would greatly prefer to spend an extra 53 cents per six pack to get the Mission Street IPA at Trader Joe's as my usual dinner-time beer. Too bad they are 30 minutes away.

Long Trail India Pale Ale from Long Trail Brewing Co.