Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Long Trail India Pale Ale - Long Trail Brewing Co.

Long Trail India Pale AleLong Trail India Pale Ale

Long Trail Brewing Co. visit their website
Vermont, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2000

Real India Pale Ale (IPA), as it was first brewed in the days of the British Empire, was not the carefully filtered brew that we call IPA beer today. The first IPAs were unfiltered and featured extra hops and higher strength as a preservative for the long trip from England to the colony of India. Our Traditional IPA ale is naturally carbonated, dry-hopped & unfiltered like the old days.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Long Trail India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 411 | Hads: 1,156
3.94/5  rDev +8.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a hazy glowing orange with a big white head that sticks around a good while. Head recedes to film and stays present throughout. Lacing is fairly heavy.

Aroma: The nose has some pine hops, citrus, lemon, and grapefruit. It's not a punch-you-in-the-face nose, but it's there and it's pleasant.

Taste: The taste follows the nose, with grapefruit and lemon leading the way. This beer is more powerful on the palate than on the nose. I like it. Nice bitter finish, too.

Mouthfeel: The density is about what I expect out of an IPA. It's got depth, but it's far from thick.

Overall: Solid IPA from the always reliable Long Trail. I paired this with some BBQ tofu, baked beans and potato salad and it worked perfectly. Is there such a thing as a "picnic IPA"? If so, this is it.

3.59/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Very hazy golden appearance with 2 finger head lacing sticking to glass.
Citrusy and piney aroma was great but taste was more malt forward than I care for in my ipa's. Modest ibu's but finish is more bitter than expected with a pretty thick carbonation.
My first time trying an unfiltered English IPA so will have to try others to compare as I liked the fruit and citrus notes but not enough hop bitterness. Probably wouldn't buy this again and will stick with their limbo ipa.

3.39/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from the 12 pack
Pours a slightly hazy light golden color with a huge bubbly off white head that persists forever. Smells of bread citrus and light caramel with a hint of fruity esters. Flavor is quite malty for an IPA with huge bread and caramel notes offset with just enough earthy hops to keep it from being too sweet. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet somewhat chalky mouthfeel. Middle of the road, old school, English inspired pale ale.

2.32/5  rDev -35.9%

I bought this beer on a whim this weekend because it was a brewery I hadn't tried out yet. What also intrigued me was that it was unfiltered and I've been having good luck as till late with unfiltered beers.

Summary analysis: I didn't care for this beer-- will not be buying it again.
Flavors were muted.
Crisp IPA smell was non existent-- Smells like a pilsner if anything.
Color was appropriate.
Carbonation was fine.
Price : $10/ 6
Location: PA

4.16/5  rDev +14.9%

this is a great beer. its super clean and well balanced. and with the right glass, has some terrific citrusy aromas. I can drink several and not be hammered so I think it falls under the session category and beats out all of its competition, especially for its price

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served very cold in a pint glass. Was a cold room and hard to evoke a scent from the brew. However, was poignant and a nice bit of bitter. Color was deep golden and transparent. Was the third of a set of beers at the Keg Room in NYC, and was the most enjoyable of the bunch. Will try again when the weather warms up a bit more.

3.96/5  rDev +9.4%

I poured this beer from the bottle into a traditional pint glass. The beer poured like most unfiltered IPA's with a dark copper like color with little head. The beer has a nice citrus smell that is mild. The hops are aggressively forward, as expected. Strikingly similar to the IPA of Yards. I enjoyed this beer a lot. I tend to like the English IPA's more than the standard American ones i've drank so i might be overly generous.

3.96/5  rDev +9.4%

Just got back from a ski trip to Stowe, Vermont, and picked up a six pack for the long-drive home. Good, not too hoppy taste, and nice amber color. Not much smell, but the taste and look made up for it. A very enjoyable beer. Need to go back to Stowe for an excuse to buy more.

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A bit unlike most IPAs I've had, in that it's not quite as bitter (it clocks in at 42 IBUs) but I still really enjoyed it.

Appearance - a really nice orangey-amber color. Not much of a head though, dissipated pretty much immediately.

Smell - The weak point of this beer. Sort of a weak aroma in general, with hops difficult to pick out and this weird, almost soapy overtone to it. Doesn't effectively represent taste at all.

Taste - Really nice and refreshing, but not as hoppy as one would expect an American IPA to be. This was a little unexpected, especially considering how big of a deal they make of the hops in the description on the bottle. Good citrusy notes to it, sweeter than most IPAs.

Mouthfeel - Really good, crisp and well-carbonated with a great finish

Not the most typical of IPAs, but still holds up, and it doesn't hurt that it's a little cheaper than lots of craft brews.

2.96/5  rDev -18.2%

This is my third offering from Long Trail. Had this out of the bottle. Very standard IPA, if anything, a little weak on the hops. I typically don't factor price into ratings, but Long Trail at the very least is a pretty decent value. Give it a try, but probably won't knock your socks off.

3.74/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a straw colored body with opaqueness similar to a hefeweizen. Decent head, nice lacing. Scents of faint grapefruit and a bit of pine but harder to detect than most IPA's. Very smooth and full malts complimented by a bit of hoppy bitterness. A little bit of an "english" IPA, not overly hoppy, which is good once in a while. You can actually taste something other than hops. Very smooth, clean, crisp and easy to drink. Medium bodied with a bit of chewiness. Another, not spectacular, but GOOD beer from Long Trail!

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bought at the store in Winooski. This is probably the first unfiltered ipa I've had. The sediment seemed slightly off-putting but I got over it when I took a sip. It's got a bit of citrus flavor with an earthy base. The finish is a tad dry. I'd probably have another.

4.32/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Excellent beer, best served slightly chilled, not real cold. Strong, hoppy taste, but it doesn't overwhelm the the other flavors. Great change of pace beer when you've hit the beer blah's. Aftertaste doesn't linger as the second beer tastes as good as the first.

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I sampled this beer, after drinking half of an Oktoberfest, and on first taste, I knew I needed to drink it on an "empty" palate. I bought a single bottle of it today and I will be putting this IPA on my "yes" list. When you first get a whiff of its aroma, you get a strong scent of pine and a lesser scent of fruit. I was quite leery of it upon smell, but quickly changed my mind after taking the first sip. It is not overpowering in the hoppy sense, but is nicely juxtaposed with an ever-so-light touch of citrus. This will become a favorite of mine, and will entice those generally opposed to IPAs to think differently and perhaps become a fan.

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

Cloudy light orange and particulate floating around. Nice solid head and long lace. Smells light flowery, not quite candy like. A bit of grain. A bit of licorice.

Mouth seemed like a dry swallow and with a sweet remainder. Creaminess at the top.

A little of the grapefruit and tar, but either not overpowering. Balanced is what I'd say. No strong burn no really bitter face. Some candy, but not defined.

It's a decent IPA that maybe would be good on cooler evenings.

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%

Longtrail IPA is a 5.9% India Pale ale that I got for a really cheap price (although it is a month past date). I heard it is a fairly respectable IPA and I really cannot wait to review it. I have to confess I did have one before this review, but here it goes. Enjoy!

Appearance- With an aggressive pour, a beautiful 1.5 finger head appears with large creamy bubbles. This brew is totally see through with a high amount of carbonation. This IPA has a nice golden straw color with just a hint of brown in it. In addition, the head is really lingering around and lacing quite well.

Smell- Wow you can barely get the beer to your nose without being overwhelmed with a fantastic orange and grapefruit scent. With more smelling, I really get a sweetness out of this beer from all the tropical fruits that are involved and the malt that is present. I can only pick up a tiny bit of pine out of this IPA.

Taste- With the first sip I really get that grapefruit and pine that my nose picked up. Honestly it is quite dry to the tongue which I thoroughly enjoy. You really get these tropical notes that just linger on your palate for quite a while after your sip I am actually picking up some pineapple even. Really a nice dry and smooth IPA.

Mouthfeel- The first time I had this it reminded me of torpedo, but now I feel that it is much more dry. Although, I still think this is dangerously drinkable because of the lightness and sweetness to this brew. I would say it has a medium to a light body.

Overall, I would recommend Longtrail IPA to anyone that likes IPA’s and are on a budget. I would say it is a really good IPA especially for beginners in craft beer. I really did enjoy this beer and I would order it at a bar, especially if it were fresh! CHEERS!

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

A somewhat pedestrian IPA with a narrow hop note. This came from a LT mixed pack and was clearly my favorite of the four.

The pour had very slight head that quickly dissipated, moderate carbonation. Yellow-orange in color. Nose typical of basic IPAs, with hops clearly strong and present, but no match for the "hop-forward" types. Not very complex smell. Some maltiness, but mostly hops. Taste sharp, quick sting of the hops, but appears to be single note. Don't know how many different hops went into that brew, but I can't taste any of them. And the hops flavor is not particularly herbal. Does not linger.

Decent enough IPA, perhaps close to a session IPA, but there is too much competition at this price point and this quality, especially in this area (Northeast). On par with basic Harpoon IPA and I actually prefer Harpoon. Your mileage may vary.

2.72/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear golden with a nice two finger head with some healthy lacing. Looks like apple juice. Lots of carbonation. Not bad

Aroma: Pine and grass. Light citrus. Mild toasted malts in the background but mostly all hops

Taste: Way more subdued than I was expecting. Some citrus and a little bit of floral grassy hops but it stops there. The malts almost completely cancel out the hop pressence. But there's not much to the malts either. Biscuity and that's it. I'm all for a balanced beer but not when it leaves you without any flavor. Bland and unremarkable

Mouthfeel: True to Long Trail this is very clean and refreshing. If it weren't for the color I would think I was drinking water...which isn't a good thing

Overall: Wouldn't recommend personally. Not for fans of IPAs or any other style. Just not enough happening here for my blood. I wanted to like it, but it just didn't happen

Edit: I'm reading other reviews which seem favorable so maybe I just got a bad bottle but I wouldn't try it again based on my experience

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A clear golden orange in color with a thin offwhite head. Aromas of fresh honey and citrus rind. Taste is a perfumy sweet flower flavor up front, then some water cracker, then a lemony, minty hop finish. Mouthfeel is good. Overall a nice ipa that I would get again.

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On tap at jamian's in red bank. Arrives in a long trail pint glass. Copper color, no head. I Aroma is Decently earthy hoppy, appropriate for an English style ipa.

Flavor is a well balanced malt hop mix with a faint buttery aftertaste. Nothing too exciting going on, but enjoyable. Mild lingering bitterness. Overall a pretty decent offering but nothing I'd go out of my way to order again. Would prefer more hop flavor.

4.13/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pured into tulip glass. Nice hazy yellow,amber color. Two inch white foam head. Reduced to lacing. Sticky on glass.Fruity pine hops, little bite to the carbonation. Really good IPA. I would get this one again. Makes me want to eat seafood.. Give this one a try

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%

One of the better IPA's in bottle, at least here in Mass where it can be found reasonably fresh.
(I bought this at a small package store that keeps all its beer refrigerated). The distinctive taste of this beer is its pine flavor, one of the few on the market that has not moved toward a pronounced citrus flavor. The beer is malty but the high ibu's and the pineniness give it a distinctive dry character that is great with Stilton cheese. I've also had this on draft and would rate it equally highly.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into a glass mug.

A: Slightly hazy golden yellow with two-finger, white, frothy head that lasted a long time. Great lacing.

S: Floral and citrusy.

T: Light sweetness and moderate bitterness. Toasted malt and hops. True to style.

M: Medium bodied with soft carbonation. Smooth and refreshing.

O: I thought this was a pretty good English India Pale Ale. Looks really nice, has a nose that improves as it warms, and has a really smooth mouthfeel.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

On tap in a pint glass.

A- A nice clean golden color, fluffy head, plenty of lacing. Very bubbly.

S- Mild fresh floral esters, some hop fruitiness. Slightly sweet malts.

T- Some sweet bready malt and more citrus, grapefruit hops flavor than the mild aroma had indicated.

M- Crisp and fresh, slightly oily. This beer is well carbonated, so much that I checked other reviews to make sure 'it wasn't me' or a faulty tap line. The IBU and abv are right.

O- I enjoyed this beer, the carbonation cost it a 1/2 point in this review. A better bubble balance and this would be more drinkable, sessionable, even.

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottle from wegman's into a tulip
A golden amber w/ relatively good carity and retention. A thick white cap leaves plenty of lace on the glass. Smell is hoppy w/ floral esters and light sweet malt w/light sweet grassiness when swirled. The feel is pleasant / semi high carbonation light sweetness and moderate bitterness w/ mild astringency and generally good balance.

The hop favor is herbal and spiced w/ smooth citrus notes and mold toasted sweet graininess w/ mild lemony aspects and light tea-like fruity tinged supplementary tastes that go well w/ the mildly sweet malt and slightly fruity yeast.
I found this to be enjoyable and balanced a good example of an ipa from the east coast but not great - pretty drinkable and less likely to offend those who aren't die hard hop fans

Long Trail India Pale Ale from Long Trail Brewing Co.