Harvest - Long Trail Brewing Co.

Harvest
No picture uploaded.
good

Long Trail Brewing Co. visit their website
Vermont, United States

English Brown Ale |  4.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

The culmination of a long growing season, the autumn harvest comes once a year. We mark the end of summer with the release our seasonal brown ale, Harvest. Vermont maple syrup added during the brewing process yields a lasting sweetness on the palate that's guaranteed to warm your soul.

Raise a glass and enjoy the spirit of the season. Pairs well with wood-splitting, leaf-raking and pumpkin carving.

In celebration of the autumn harvest we’ve brewed this brown ale with locally harvested Vermont ingredients... a truly unique Taste of Vermont!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harvest Alström Bros

1.68/5  rDev -54%

I poured this awful beverage from a bottle into my mouth, you could taste the nasty rubbing alcohol that Vermont has to offer, since on the bottle they use local Vermont ingredients the only thing I could think taste worse is the Longtrail unfiltered IAP. Very very bad!

1.9/5  rDev -47.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I remember this beer being better earlier this decade however it has fallen flat on its face. Nice Brown color but a little lacking in the nose. Taste was your classic Brown Ale flavor but it leaves the palate quickly and the best way to describe is watered down. If you're looking for a good seasonal try elsewhere.

2.05/5  rDev -43.8%

I love every other LT beer I've had both from both tap and bottle. What the hell happened here? The local ingredients idea got me, so I bought a 12 pack. Calculated risk but ultimately bad move. A month later I'm downing the last one, only because it's the last beer in the fridge.

The color is great but the head was consistently little to none.

Smell wasn't bad, just not much to it at all.

Taste was plain sub-par. Very "lite", remarkably unremarkable for an LT beer, with a slightly bitter finish.

Bad batch? Warmed-up/cooled down too much between the brewery and my casa? And what about all the folks that really liked it? It wasn't offensive but the complete lack of interesting smell/flavor/taste was sure a bummer. A mystery to me.

2.17/5  rDev -40.5%

Had this on tap. Poured an almost clear reddish color with a foamy white head that didn't last too long very little lacing. Aroma was that of roasted malt with what I thought was a hint of coffee. Carbonation was good through-out. Taste (to me) was malty hazelnut, I hate hazelnut, I cannot stand the taste and the smell of it. Since I hate it, I can say I wasn't impressed with this beer, I know it has received some good reviews but I'm sorry, I just didn't enjoy it. I would probably try it again, I was drinking a few Ofests before I had this, maybe that had an effect on my taste buds.

2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

2.33/5  rDev -36.2%

Pours a clear brown with next to nil head. No lacing to mention. The Aroma smells of light toffee, caramel, and a touch of hop spice. Flavor is very thin. Notes of some toffee and caramel, maybe a bit of cocoa peaks through in the front but fades off very quickly to not much of a flavor at all. Thin mouthfeel, watery, not much carbonation. I didn't enjoy this beer very much.

2.38/5  rDev -34.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass while watching the Steelers/Ravens game. I'll talk about football if I damn well please.

A: Heartening deep brown/amber color with a unexpectedly weak, bubbly off-white head that fizzled out as quickly as the Steelers offensive line.

S: Bready with hint of musty turf, like what Ben Roethlisberger was used to smelling today. Except for the hints of molasses and slight vegetative/grassy hop notes. No, wait, the grassiness applies (unless they use turf in Baltimore).

T: As disappointing as Pittsburgh's performance today. Starts bready with an odd yeasty must and, like the day of the average Steelers fan, has a bitter finish. Bitterness increases as this thing warms, until the malty/bready notes are overwhelmed and sacked. A little sweet molasses goes nowhere but gets mired like Rashard Mendenhall in the Ravens D-line.

Slight buttery note that tastes as rancid as Troy Polamalu's game.

M: Watery and light with light carbonation reminiscent of little bits of turf prickling one's tongue. Again, Ben Roethlisberger will know what I'm talking about.

O: Damn, Long Trail, I expected a good, competitive brown ale and this is what I get? Watery and tastes strange. Your (good vs bad beer) record is now 2-3. I want to like you since you're a New England staple, but you're going to need to do better than this.

2.4/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass this appears a pale amber/red with slight carbonation rising slowly. The head dissipates into a thin microfoam. This beer is crystal clear. It smells like a typical harvest ale, slightly spicy, a little pumpkin smelling, and unfortunately a little bit like corn water. The taste isn't completely bad with hints of toffee or caramel, but that corny taste bled through. The mouthfeel is a lot like a macro lager, kind of tingly and thin. I wont be getting this beer again...

Think 3/4 busch light mixed with 1/4 post road pumpkin ale. Not enough good to outweigh the bad.

2.42/5  rDev -33.7%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle purchased at Nikki's in NP, RI.

A - Copper colored with good clarity but very little head.

S - Malt, caramel and a hint of alcohol.

T - Surprisingly tart and dry. A slight roasted malt flavor as well. Not what I expected. It's dated 08/04/08 (which I assume is the brew date) so it shouldn't be bad.

M - Moderate carbonation and a bit thin.

D - Not one I'd pursue again.

2.48/5  rDev -32.1%

12oz bottle, Fall '07 arrival, served in a chilled pint glass.

A - clear, deep amber color, what little bit of a beige head there was quickly faded to a ring with some light clouds of foam, hit or miss spots of lace.

S - some malt aroma with a slight earthiness.

T - some malt flavor with a slight earthiness.

M - thin, light body with weak carbonation.

D - good 'beer pong' brew, drink it fast and get it over with!

Final Note: the 'Farmer Bears' on the bottle label were cute, but there wasn't a *label cuteness* catagory in the review.

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clean copper/ orange-ish color, with a white head. In the aroma, roasty malt, sweet lager like notes, and a very small hop. In the taste, small hop and a roasty malt, quite balanced. A small hop bite and a medium mouthfeel, with a dry malty, and small hop in the aftertaste. Light for a harvest, somewhat lager like in the aroma. Balanced and decent session.

2.53/5  rDev -30.7%

Dark brown,color is nice.
Not much for the nose.
Didn't get much of a head,in a pint glass
Kind of watered down,slight smokey taste
Next time someone says oh I''l drink what ever,they get this.
Like a lot of the Long Trail line,here's the but
I'll pass on this one next time

2.65/5  rDev -27.4%

Appearance - Beautiful amber color with light head low carbonation

Smell - About right for an Amber Ale (Brown ale according to bottle??) Slightly malty with minimal hop nose.

Taste - Nothing to write home about predominantly malty, although even that is not very prononced. Very little hop on the tounge.

Mouthfeel - Really falls apart here. Really light for a 'harvest' ale. I was really expecting something with a bit more body. This beers was thin and utterly lacking. about the same mouthfeel as a budmilcoors.

Drinkability - Modestly drinkable, if I had to.

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%

Long Trail- Harvest Ale

Appearance- ruby red with a thick creamy head. Heavy lacing of the glass.
Smell- Not much going on here slight caramel malt.
Taste- Caramel/ molasses malt with a touch of earthy/ leafy hops.
Mouhfeel- Very bland and watery. The flavor doesn't really settle in until after the swallow.

Overall- A blah Amber. Not worth the $10 price for a 6er. Doesn't do it for me!!

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

whoa....it must have changed since the brothers have reviewed it!

pours a decent dark amber-brown with a flatish head and some sparse lacing.

nose has a decent, sweet malty smell.

taste...not bad at all, but...not good or great....something smokey/burnt that i usually like, but not here. like some sort of morphed/mutated Shiner... (?)

mouthfeel is a bit thin. if i want thin and good and a bit burnt, i'll have a yuengling porter

drinkable. probably better with food. that would make it more drinkable.

Harvest from Long Trail Brewing Co.