Blackbeary Wheat - Long Trail Brewing Co.

Blackbeary WheatBlackbeary Wheat

Long Trail Brewing Co. visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2002

This brew combines 2-Row Pilsen malt, a hint of Crystal malt, and of course, plenty of malted wheat. A hint of blackberry at the finish makes this beer a real thirst quencher! For the health conscious, Blackbeary Wheat has less than 6 grams of carbs and only 110 calories per bottle!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blackbeary Wheat Alström Bros
4.54/5  rDev +48.9%

Appearance - I drank from a can most recently but have seen the beer poured on tap as well, it looks pretty standard with a minimal head and light, wheat color
Smell - You would definitely know it was berry just by the smell
Taste - One of my favorite summer beers because of the blackberry, but it is not overpowering and does not make it a 'girly' beer
Mouthfeel - light, airy, perfect carbonation... but not unlike other similar summer brews
Overall - It is a staple and a go-to. Nothing incredibly unique but it would definitely be a treat for visitors and I enjoy it more than other 'fruity' beers (602 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +45.6%

I really love to drink this beer during the summer. Smooth blackberry flavor not ot over powering. Light color with a nice white head. This beer is great on tap but mostly served in the bottle. During the brew festival in Burlington thye actually but a fresh blackberry in your tasting glass. Nice touch to finish a great beer. Drinking a few is fine having more than three sometimes gets alittle too sweet. Nice change from drinking heavier malter beers. Don't pass this fruit beer by really nice wheat beer. (509 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +44.3%

LT BBW was the first 6-pack I legally bought on my own. It was a hot, late summer day and these brews tasted excellent. While my friends give me shit for liking fruity beers, this is one of my all time favorites. The flavor cannot be matched by any other fruit brew i've ever tried. It poured with a minimal head but with an excellent amber color. The fruit taste is not overwhelming like many others which makes them very drinkable. I could down a few 6-packs in an evening without getting sick of the taste. (509 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +42%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

As far as flavored wheat beers go this one was almost too good. Long Trail has definitely nailed this recipe. Very good as a post skiing or hiking beer, or even for after eating. I suggest it be served around 40 degrees. It seems to be as good out of the tap/ in a glass as it is in a bottle, so don't worry about that, but make sure you haven't had a dark beer before this (it diminishes the taste). Really one of the better flavored beers I've ever had and 100% worth taking sip of if you're just coming from a fun outdoor sport (530 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +42%

This beer presents with a nice deep golden color adn a foamy white head that emanates a light sour fruit maltiness. The flavors meld smoothly in the body. The blackberries do not overpower the true brew qualities; a very refreshing light brew. (245 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +40%

This is definitely among my top favorite fruit beers, mostly because the blackberry taste is distinct but not overwhelming. I think blackberry is a unique flavor for a fruit beer which makes this brew all the more tasty!

It pours a translucent golden color with a white foamy head. It smells of blackberries, like the taste, strong but not overwhelming. The flavor is both sweet and mildly tart. The initial taste is blackberries followed by a wheat beer flavor but the blackberry taste lingers.

It feels slightly carbonated in your mouth, typical of a wheat beer. This beer is very drinkable, like most fruit beers it goes down easily and is gone before you realize it. Refreshing during a hot summer day, it's a must-have summer brew if you enjoy fruit beer varieties. (776 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +40%

Happens to be one of my favorite beers. Spring time in Vermont would not be the same. Golden Wheat beer in color. Can easily taste the blackberry's in the beer. Is great in warm weather. Does not leave an oily feel in your mouth. Easy to drink as many as you want in a day. Hardest thing is finding it outside the New England area (330 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +39.3%

Serving: Hefe glass, celler temp.
Aroma: Earthy blackberry and wheat malt come through loud and clear.
Appearance: Very thin head, crystal clear yellow body
Mouthfeel: medium body and carbonation. Very smooth.
Taste: Blackberry flavor dominates, but very subdued sweetness. Wheat flavor and hops provide background. Sweetness on the tip of the tongue dries out by the end. No aftertaste.
Drinkability: This is one of the most drinkable fruit beers I have had. I could easy do 3-4 pints of this. Wonderful fruit flavor without the cloying sweetness makes this one a great desert or regular beer. (594 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +38.7%

This is one of the first beers I ever had, and was a staple for me for years, so I might have some bias. But, despite that, I also think it's one of the best fruit beers ever created. Much better on tap than in the bottle too, but I haven't had a bottle in a long time.

Appearance: looks like budweiser.

Smell: The blackberry is present, but not too intense, which is a relief. There is also a very present aroma of malted barley that adds more sweetness and balances the slight tart blackberry flavor. The malts in general taste better than most fruit beers... these don't remind me of bud light.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied mouthfeel with a teensy bitter quality. It also leaves a strange feeling in my mouth... not sure how to describe it... the world filmy comes to mind.

Drinkability: As long as I don't stop drinking long enough to let the filmy character take over, I could drink this all day and all night. (922 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +34.4%

I poured this tasty beverage from a bottle into my mouth, you could taste the blackberry then the wheat, very tasty. I would defiantly buy a 6 pack just to drink for a good tasty time. It is also very smooth, if you cant drink beer good and have money, just buy like 20 of these and slam em for a good time (306 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +34.4%

A - light straw color with a small to medium head. light lacing. Ok head retension.
S - Smells like a wheat beer with a hint of blackberry. There is a very slight citrus note.
T - This beer is light and crisp with a non overpowering blackberry flavour. There is a bready flavour which I think is good and makes it taste just right.
M - This beer feels pretty good while in your mouth. It doesn't feel syrupy or rough. It is smooth.
D - This is a great beer to drink on a hot day due to the refreshing sensation you get while drinking it. I like this beer anytime though. This is not a heavy or too sweet beer. It is a good American wheat. I will continue buying. (662 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +32.8%

This is one of Long Trail's Summer seasonals. The other one is called Pollenator (I'm not sure if they made it this year--I didn't try it if they did) . I always preferred the blackberry wheat over the pollenator anyway. They do make minor changes to the recipe on these each year and I have to say that this years version I did not like as much as previous years.

It is still a light gold color with very little head yet a decent amount of carbonation. The wheat is evident from the start and the blackberry flavor comes through immediately afterwards. It is not an overpowering berry flavor which is a big plus but I felt like this years berry flavor was more faint than in past years. I still do like to get a good berry rush without it being overpowering. It is still a great Summer beer and goes real well with spicy food. The berry flavor seems to cut the spiciness of food quite well. I remember in past years thinking that the draft version was always a little better than the bottled one. However, I am not sure if I will have a chance to try the draft version this year. Still, a real good bottled beer that I wish was more readily available in the Boston area. (1,174 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +32.5%

As a guy who likes fruit beers, I was pleasantly surprised to come across this at a packy I dont normally go to. The smell of the blackberries is quite evident in the smell, but not so much in the taste. In fact, you have to try hard to pick out the blackberry flavor in the aftertaste, but it is there. It certainly does not overpower the qualities of the wheat ale, but I might have asked for a little more fruit flavor.

All in all, this is a very refreshing summer brew. Extremely light and smooth, perfect for a hot summer's day, just as the bottle suggests. In addition, I also find the cartoon on the bottle amusing. Heh heh. (635 characters)

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. A friend brought some back to Ohio for me from New Hampshire, and it was a delicious treat. It was full of flavor, and the fruit taste was not overbearing, as is the case with many "berry" beers. It still tasted like a beer, not like some juice drink. I recommend this beer to anyone! (316 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +30.8%

Great brew, here. On tap in a pint glass.

A- Pale, pale, pale yellow. Not my favorite.

S- Blackberry in spades. Sugary, syrupy, and inviting.

T- Blackberry flavor, concentrated, but great.. blends surprisingly well with a pale wheat ale. The wheat adds some body behind the blackberry and makes it more than a 1-note brew. Fantastic!

M- Crisp, flavorful, if just a bit thin.

D- Insane... keep it coming! (410 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +30.2%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: The body was a clear pale yellow color with a thin white head. Its head just covered the body and left only minimal lacing on the glass.

Smell: The aroma had a pleasant bouquet of sweet wild berries with some notes of grain and wheat malts.

Taste/Mouth feel: It has a semi-sweet blackberry flavor up front that is held in check buy the twang of the wheat. These two flavors are balanced nicely and work very well together. Hop flavor is very mild offering only a very slight herbal flavor and almost no bitterness. The taste thins towards the finish, which is crisp and slightly dry. Its body is light with a crisp refreshing texture and an average to fizzy carbonation.

Notes: This beer has a nice solid flavor with an easy to drink body that makes for a nice hot weather refresher. (873 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +30.2%

Golden yellow color. Thin whispy white head. Fades fast. Fairly impressive aromoas of fresh picked blackberries, sweet malt and a hints of freshly mown grass. Really very positive though.
Nice fruit beer taste. Tart, crisp clean berry taste matched with a traditional crisp, clean traditional wheat beer. Not a harsh metallic wheat ale taste that you get, but crisp and refreshing. Lots of blackberries to finish, sharp tart sweetness on the finish. Light to medium bodied very drinkable. Brought home from New England on our recent vacation. (544 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +30.2%

This was a clear yellow ale, with absolutely no head - and I tried to pour it so I'd get one.

The aroma was first of wheat malt, then of berry sweetness that filled my nostrils and promised an interesting experience.

Tasting gave me a very fast initial bitter foretaste, followed by a rush of crisp wheatiness, followed by blackberries... which then faded into a long wheat finish. Very nice. It was rather highly carbonated.

Mouthfeel was crisp and clean like a good wheat should be. A very nice drinking beer for summertime. (535 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +30.2%

light golden color, carbonated with a slight white head that leaves
fairly quick; not that fruity actually, a bit on the dry side but very
quenching for a summer out with friends on a warm/hot day. A
change from the wine crowd ( I like both), but this is refreshing, the
thing I like most about this beer is its not TOO SWEET. Nice
blackberry touch without overdoing it. I like this beer more on
the dry side, I'm not sure what else I'm tasting but grassy with some other light spices is as close as I can guess. Great beer company, I've been sampling their
beers during the seasons, they're worth seeking out. (617 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +29.5%

A-Light yellow with a thin head.

S-Light wheat and blackberry. Pretty mellow smelling beer.

T-By no means a very flavorful beer. However the light blackberry flavor combined with the wheat aftertaste is not too shabby.

M-Very light. High carbonation. Watery.

D-This beer is quite drinkable. No overpowering flavors and the alcohol content is low. Easily able to drink a sixpack. A nice beer to drink when its hot out. Take it for what it is. A relaxed mix of wheat and berry. This beer is waaay better than its rating in my opinion. Its light, refreshing, and has my favorite fruit...nothing wrong here! (608 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I loved the aroma on this beer. Don't be misled, though. Very little blackberry flavor is evident. It poured a clear golden color and was very clean. This is a beer I could drink for hours during the summertime. Very light and refreshing. Perfect for a hot summer day.

The label is pretty humorous, too.

Like I said in my review of the brewery, I wish we could get this beer in Virginia.

Edited 1/21/03 (411 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +29.2%

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle.
A- It's a nice gold, with some bubbles. It has an average head that dissipates quickly, but leaves a decent lace.
S- Very fruity scent to it.
T- Like the scent, it's very crisp and has a spicy fruit taste to it, kind of like what a cider gatorade would taste like. Interesting. (309 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +28.5%

Served a straw amber with a more white than off-white head on top. Much better on tap over the bottled version of this brew. Worth a shot if you get a chance to taste a fresh keg. Nice and fruity and quite tasty, but lacking balance. Still, very drinkable though. (263 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +28.5%

kick ass for the summertime, this brew is clean and smooth. the blackberry aroma is delightful, but a bit misleading because the beer itself does not have a strong blackberry flavor. that is not a bad thing because it is still a great-tasting brew. (248 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +28.2%

Light, almost seltzer water taste, in a good way. Refreshing on a summer day. Not sweet, with a blackberry aftertaste. Not a potent beer bye any means but tasty, light and refreshing. (183 characters)

Blackbeary Wheat from Long Trail Brewing Co.