Blackbeary Wheat - Long Trail Brewing Co.

Blackbeary WheatBlackbeary Wheat

Long Trail Brewing Co. visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

This brew combines 2-Row Pilsen malt, a hint of Crystal malt, and of course, plenty of malted wheat. A hint of blackberry at the finish makes this beer a real thirst quencher! For the health conscious, Blackbeary Wheat has less than 6 grams of carbs and only 110 calories per bottle!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blackbeary Wheat Alström Bros

ZachH, May 15, 2012

nathanjohnson, Nov 16, 2011

chrispoint, Feb 20, 2012

tmars13, Aug 21, 2012
1.13/5  rDev -63.7%

Pours a crystal clear golden color with a bright bubbley white heading that disappears to nothing.Slight lacing throughout.

Smell is the feintest of berry,a slight yeasty aroma.

Taste hits you with berry but is immedialtely stolen by little more than a cough syrup taste that stings the tongue. A slight taste of honey as well.

Mouth is light bodied,overcarbonated with a slight berriness that is more like a cough syrup that stings the tongue and lingeries for a quite awhile.

Drinkability is not good unless you like the taste of berry seltzer water with a touch of alcohol.

I must say this was my first drainpour ever.

TheFightfan1, Jul 25, 2009
1.43/5  rDev -54%

Picked this 12 oz bottle up at Abe's for the girlfriend. Cost $2. She loves fruit wheat beers so this seemed like a no brainer.

Appearance is crystal clear gold with some CO2 bubbles, pretty minimal head with poor retention. Blackberry? Wheat? I don't see either of these in the appearance. I was hoping for a cloudy Ruby or black. Very disappointing.

Smell was somewhat fruity but ina generic way. Not really anything else there. I'm beginning to think this is really a bottle of coors light with some berry flavor added or something.

Taste is at first a bit fruity, some honey, followed by water. Mouthfeel is also watery but not refreshing. Drinkability is poor because there really isn't anything in there that would really make you want to drink another. This really is a bad beer that you should avoid. No one should pay craft beer prices for beer of this quality.

wheelinshirt, Nov 05, 2008
1.63/5  rDev -47.6%

Pours a pale golden with lots of soda-like carbonation. Head comes and goes like a Budweiser. Smells of berries and skunk, not much else.

Taste is of berries again, and maybe a hint of malt. Not much else to speak of. Very watery mouthfeel with tons of big bubble carbonation, like soda, as previously stated. It is very crisp I guess and maybe would be okay on an extremely hot day. But that's what pale ales are for.

I only tried this because my girlfriend bought it and is into fruity beers. Not my cup of tea. Actually, she was dissapointed as well.

Doomcifer, Oct 23, 2006
1.63/5  rDev -47.6%

A: Pours a gross yellow color with slight brownish tones.

S: Smells fruity, very mellow, not a good aroma. You would expect a semi-decent beer from the smell, but it disappoints.

T: Taste is way off kilter. No balance. No recognition of a wheat beer. Dreadful. I have a hard time tasting the blackberries due to the bad taste left in my mouth. I've had fresh blackberries and this reminds me nothing of them.

M: Thin, wheat beer I suppose. Lingers in the back of the throat for too long...tastes like vomit. Not a huge fan of the wheat beers.

D: Wouldn't drink it if I were you. Wheat beers are hard to balance nicely, and this beer clearly doesn't.

Don't drink it.

kiddynamite920, Aug 15, 2008
1.64/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

DATE REVIEWED: June 7, 2014... GLASSWARE: Lindemans flute... OCCASION: Gatsby 2012....bring it on, Baz!...APPEARANCE: crystal clear, faintly tinted in yellow, with rapid effervescence; thick yet bubbly white head...odd, misshapen lacing... AROMA: pungent, offish skunky funk that suggests a fruity failure--not saying any more than this... PALATE: soft, bubbly, thin and drinkable--almost refreshing, but more like weakly flavored water... TASTE: mostly acquiescent light beer malt tendencies, with a tinge of blackberry--rather flat... OVERALLL: a weak, cleansing, warm weather wheat that doesn't distinguish itself; such a slight turn of berry that only faintly offers flavor, and what is offered is annoying....

dacrza1, Jun 12, 2014
1.65/5  rDev -46.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This pours a light yellow with a large white foamy head. The color looks like something out of the human bladder. The smell has a very light blackberry and vegatable aroma. The taste is a small amount of blackberry along with a touch of malt sweetness and nothing else. This is the reason I don't like fruit beers. The m/f is light and weak. Although I really like other Long Trail beers,this is terrible.

jmz62565, Apr 23, 2006
1.68/5  rDev -46%

A part of a mixed LT case. Would not buy again.

The short of it is that this beer does not have enough of a flavor to be a drain pour. Fermi described someone's argument that "it was not even wrong" and this is how I feel about this beer. Chilled enough, it will pass for a refresher, but don't mistake that for a recommendation.

The pale yellow-orange liquid pours nicely, with moderate, quickly dissipating head, moderate carbonation. The smell is somewhat offputting with a distinct but faint presence of rotten fruit. The odor is likely stronger when the beer is not chilled to 38F, but I'd be hard-pressed to describe it as "aroma". This only gets worse when you taste it. Although not overwhelming, the constant presence of musty black-grape flavor is distracting and bothersome, but is clearly meant to be a "feature". The rest of the flavor is missing in action -- taste more like flavored mineral water with a drop of cheap vodka. In some parallel universe it may give Leinie a run for its money--but not in mine (and I can't drink Leinie with a straight face). This alone would make me think twice about buying LT. I was initially unimpressed with LT festival samples but wanted to give them a full try. This appears to be the worst of mediocre lineup.

VictorWisc, Jun 24, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -43.7%

mriley1984, Jun 16, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -43.7%

It has long been my dream that one day, during my lifetime, aliens will land on the planet Earth, bringing to us great gifts of technology, culture and art. I continue to hope this will happen. And if it does, I also pray that whomever is the first to meet the aliens doesn't give them a bottle of Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat, or those fuckers will blow this goddam little dirtball up, and head on to greener pastures.

Appearance: Pours BMC clear into my glass, a few lazy bubbles and a rather reluctant head. It froths up, but only for as long as it takes to convince you that it's serious, and then immediately runs off and takes a nap.

Smell: If I may have an Oingo Boingo moment. When I was a lad, my mom used to take my sister and I to a restaurant at Northgate Mall on a semi-regular basis. With our meals (whether it was breakfast or lunch) we would always get a Slush Puppy. I don't know if you are familiar with a Slush Puppy, but it is essentially a cup filled with crushed ice then covered with a flavored syrup. The idea was that the syrup would melt this crushed ice and you'd have a nice, cold, fruity drink. However, if you were smart about it, you could drink the syrup quick as a mofo, and never have to deal with any of that goddam ice. These syrups came in all sorts of flavors like root beer, blueberry, watermelon, bubble gum, etc. Basically the same shit you get at the dentist when they are offering you flavors for your fluoride (peanut butter, man. You have GOT to go with the peanut butter.) Well, one of the flavors offered at the Slush Puppy Syrup Bar was blackberry. This beer smells just like that.

Taste: I remember very clearly when Count Chocula, Franken Berry and Boo Berry cereals came out back in the 70s. As far as I was concerned, any cereal with monsters on it had to kick ass. And it did, when I was seven. This beer tastes like the milk you'd get if you let your Boo Berry sit long enough to extract some of that high fructose corn syrup goodness, except without the 'goodness' part. Gah! There it is again.

Mouthfeel: I sure wish I had a Slush Puppy right about now...

Drinkability: In the interest of maintaining intergalactic peace, I'm pouring this beer out.

Knuckles, Oct 14, 2005
1.78/5  rDev -42.8%

don't want to be a hater, but didn't like this puppy. too sweet, and nothing else about it was good enough to justify that. good for college girls who want to move beyond Coors Lite?

A - clear, unremarkable.

S - nose was most interesting thing, sweet berry, but no hop or malt

T - Ack.

M - fair

D - I've tried it 2 or 3 times now, out of a variety case, but one at a time is enough.

Throckmorton, Jan 04, 2010
1.85/5  rDev -40.5%

I drank a whole sixpack on a roadtrip in Vermont, and couldn't believe a respected brewer was putting this out. I got another at home to make sure, and yep, I didn't have a bad batch.

Now, I like fruit beers a lot, and definitely more than most BAs. This is an embarassment. Usually the biggest problem with fruit beer is that they are over the top, but that's better than missing low.

The bottle is great -- "Blackbeary" is cute with a picture of one bear stealing another bear's pie. Poured into a pint glass, is impossibly pale ... closer to clear than yellow, a very very pale shade. Reminds me a lot of Busch Light, I think I'll do a side-by-side test soon. Some big bubbles rising, at least this holds a decent head. The head is the only way I could tell this apart from a narsty macro light.

Smell is pleasant but weak. I smell the blackberries, wheat, they are good but barely there.

Starts off okay, the blackberries aren't too sweet or dominant and there's a little wheat and nothing else ... and it dies. Halfway through each taste, there ceases to be anything. I had a sad look on my face after each sip .. where'd it go? No aftertaste.

Pretty boring mouthfeel. Not exceptionally bad, but it needs more carbonation, more anything. This is especially true as it warms and the lack of everything becomes more notable.

Well I was surprised at how quickly I finished my beers, it was close to record speed for a beer I was tasting. This is due to the fact that there was nothing to get over or think about after a sip, and I was always hoping that the next sip would be the flavorful one. So in that sense, it's very drinkable, and this is a rare beer that actually is more thirst quenching in the heat than water. If I were dehydrated in the desert this would be the most drinkable beer ever, especially with the low carbonation, nothing gets in your way. However, there's nothing it offers in terms of long term drinkability ... nothing to find, nothing to analyze, nothing memorable. Just nothing. Especially because I love fruit beers and also enjoy wheats, I am disappointed. To top it all off, this was around $8 /sixpack at beer outlets with normally reasonable prices.

semihobo, Aug 29, 2005
1.9/5  rDev -38.9%

Bottle: Poured a golden color ale with a small thin white head with little retention. Aroma is sweet with blackcurrant being very hard to distinguish. Taste is also very sweet with some malt and some very subtle blackcurrant. Body is way too thin and this beer generally lacks character.

Phyl21ca, Aug 15, 2006
1.93/5  rDev -37.9%

This beer pours out a pale golden color. It is very clear with an almost nonexistent white head.
The aroma is also almost nonexistent. It just has a trace amount of berry smell.
The flavor starts out similar to a berry soda, then the wheat and yeast surface to remind you that you are indeed drinking beer.
Mouth feel is light in body and has a lot of carbonation.

Naes, Aug 09, 2006
1.93/5  rDev -37.9%

This Long Trail offering pours with a ghostly head that disappears as a specter would. It is a pale ginger-ale yellow with no odor save for the blackberry. Blackberry and wheat are its only flavors, but lets face it, this beer isn't supposed to have any other flavors. One reviewer put it perfectly, this beer almost drinks more "like a soda than a beer." Although its fruitiness and carbonation make it easy to drink, i actually poured it out.

sinstaineddemon, Mar 14, 2006
1.95/5  rDev -37.3%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a mug

A- what a lousy looking beer! seriously, my urine is darker than this. it was a very yellow. the only aspects that saved it from a 1 rating was the frothy medium size white head and its clearness.

S- wheat, hops, a hint of blackberry(which is odd, considering this is a fruit beer). i should have known then

T- oh boy. the blackberry was not very strong, which is bad. the tastes of blackberry and wheat do not go well together, which makes it very bad. the blackberry was kind of bitter, when combined with the hoppy bitterness of the beer itself, makes this beer undrinkable.

M- thin. very very thin. it was well carbonated, but not smooth at all.

D- grr this makes me mad! i like long trail's brown ale and hibernator seasonal, and the fact that i have to say i wont drink this again pisses me off!

acarroll413, Apr 23, 2006
1.98/5  rDev -36.3%

It looks like Bud Light. Very clear with little color at all.

It smells funky. It smells like sour concert beer.

It tastes like light, drinkable lager beer. It's slightly thicker and sticks to your teeth a bit and has that wheat twinge, but not much. The fruit that's there is faint, very faint and hardly recognizable as blackberry.

Mouthfeel is probably the only thing this beer has going for it.

It tastes like bubblicious bubble gum.

tchenery, Jan 18, 2011

Kochiss, Oct 19, 2014

Bdel34, Dec 28, 2011

BGsWo22, Mar 20, 2013

bbugclubb, Jul 05, 2014
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

A- Poured a pale (filtered) yellow color, with some active carbonation visible from the sides of the glass... the white foamy head quickly evaporated, giving way to a little, tiny, bit of lacing.

S- Aromas of blackberry and honey dominate the nose, with some restrained grassy notes. Not picking any hop aroma here...

T- Very mild flavors of tart wheat combine with bigger flavors of blackberry... but this blackberry seems synthetic... no hops bitterness here (as expected). I am picking up some restrained honey flavors. The finish is very short lived. Overall, the taste reminds me of Blackberry flavored seltzer water...

M- Thin body with spritzy carbonation... leaves a lot to be desired... and bolsters the seltzer water analogy.

D- I consumed just enough to give this beer a fair assessment... and poured the rest of the bottle down the drain. I'm sure there's someone out there that likes this stuff in the bottle, but I'm not one of them...

jgasparine, Aug 23, 2009
Blackbeary Wheat from Long Trail Brewing Co.