Blackbeary Wheat - Long Trail Brewing Co.

Blackbeary WheatBlackbeary Wheat

Long Trail Brewing Co. visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2002

This brew combines 2-Row Pilsen malt, a hint of Crystal malt, and of course, plenty of malted wheat. A hint of blackberry at the finish makes this beer a real thirst quencher! For the health conscious, Blackbeary Wheat has less than 6 grams of carbs and only 110 calories per bottle!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blackbeary Wheat Alström Bros
2.34/5  rDev -23.3%

This one pours a crystal-clear pale-golden color with a thick bubbly white head that dissipates quickly. It's actually seems strangely clear and pale for a beer that has blackberry in it? However, the aroma leaves no doubt about the berries... it smells of jam and malt.

The taste is harshly bitter on the front of my tongue with a medicinal flavor in there. The bitter taste lingers in the aftertaste. Between the bitterness, the beer tastes very watery, with a mild flavor of berries throughout. It also seems very over-carbonated, with lots of large bubbles, unlike the more delicate tiny bubbles of other wheat beers.

I drink more just to give it a chance. The bitterness does mellow a bit, and the sweet flavors of malt and jam come through more. Still, it's rather watery, and just not my cup of tea (or mug of beer for that matter!) (845 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +11.5%

Instantly aromatic, the blackberry smell wafts out from the time I crack the crown, sweetness fills the air.
Crystal clear, pale gold appearance, likeable layer of bone-white foam.
Berries and honey in the nose.
Nicely textured, ably balanced, meets the mouth happily. Berry flavor doesn't sustain on the palate, though, plays a minor role in the taste. Light bodied, short finish. Tastes more like a hybrid wheat ale and pilsner, with a touch of honey and fruit.
Good summertime quaffer. (492 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with a very white head.

Fruity nose, as you would expect, but I do not get nearly as much blueberry as I hoped for.

The wheat comes through a lot more clearly.

The taste follows the head. More wheat than blackberry. It's something I could drink one or two of on tap, but I probably won't get a sixpack again. (338 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Sampled from a 12 oz, longneck bottle.

This beer poured a clear, yellow color with creamy, white foam that settled but left a little lace on the glass. The smell was lightly fruity (blackberry) with a touch of wheat (?). The taste was lightly tart and tangy with a good bit of fruitiness (berries). The taste was lightly malty with a light hop bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel was crisp and tangy with medium-light body and medium carbonation. It was dry overall with a hoppy and fruity aftertaste. This was a decent beer -- lightly fruity and easy to drink. (568 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -24.6%

Ugh... this is a thin, watered-down, astringent train wreck of a beer. To me, honestly, it tasted like blackberry-flavored seltzer water. I really thought it would be a nice, easy sipping summer beer while I was vacationing up in NH.
Note to brewers: Please remember to brew the beer first, then use the fruit to complement the flavors. Without malt, hops, or yeast characteristics, you end up with something like this.
Sorry Long Trail -- I do really like a few of your other beers, but not this one. (503 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +32.8%

This is one of Long Trail's Summer seasonals. The other one is called Pollenator (I'm not sure if they made it this year--I didn't try it if they did) . I always preferred the blackberry wheat over the pollenator anyway. They do make minor changes to the recipe on these each year and I have to say that this years version I did not like as much as previous years.

It is still a light gold color with very little head yet a decent amount of carbonation. The wheat is evident from the start and the blackberry flavor comes through immediately afterwards. It is not an overpowering berry flavor which is a big plus but I felt like this years berry flavor was more faint than in past years. I still do like to get a good berry rush without it being overpowering. It is still a great Summer beer and goes real well with spicy food. The berry flavor seems to cut the spiciness of food quite well. I remember in past years thinking that the draft version was always a little better than the bottled one. However, I am not sure if I will have a chance to try the draft version this year. Still, a real good bottled beer that I wish was more readily available in the Boston area. (1,174 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +30.2%

This was a clear yellow ale, with absolutely no head - and I tried to pour it so I'd get one.

The aroma was first of wheat malt, then of berry sweetness that filled my nostrils and promised an interesting experience.

Tasting gave me a very fast initial bitter foretaste, followed by a rush of crisp wheatiness, followed by blackberries... which then faded into a long wheat finish. Very nice. It was rather highly carbonated.

Mouthfeel was crisp and clean like a good wheat should be. A very nice drinking beer for summertime. (535 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +11.5%

The beer is a pale yellow in color with absolutely no head at all. The aroma has a light grainyness with a hint of berry sweetness. The flavor is a great balance between the berry sweetness and a smooth hop bitterness on the finish. A refreshing hot weather break. (264 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +12.8%

Woke up from hibernation with this one on 8/7/2004 at the Long Trail Brewing Company pub. 16-oz. pour in shaker glass.

Touted as a “light and crisp low carb (6 grams) summer quencher” on the pub’s beer menu, I was instantly put off by their base pandering. Clearing my mind of all prejudice, I set to task. Extremely light yellow to faint gold in hue, with huge bubbles scudding up through the crystalline liquid. Flimsy, sticking head throughout the session. Spring-like quality to the whole bouquet, with blackberry scent swimming around the edges of the chewy wheat. At taste, blackberry sweetness predominated, with a light wheat presence, which meant it wasn’t too soapy. Very crisp and fairly refreshing, with a snap to it.

Although I wonder about their need to promote it’s low-carb qualities, I found this to be a gratifying summer brew. (856 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +4.9%

really pale straw color with a decent sized white head. the smell consists of a light malt aroma with a hint of blackberries behind it. the taste is very crisp with a slight grainyness and a little bit of hops. the blackberry hits you towards the finish and aftertaste. i'm gonna give a 3.5 for taste because while it doesn't necessarily taste alot like 'beer' it does taste good. i feel like i could drink it for breakfast. it also that mark on the condition that more than two aren't consumed, because this could get to be too sweet if drank in quantity. the body is watery and seltzer like. this beer could be a lot better. it has a lot of potential, but generally falls short of it's mark. it's a little too unsubstantial to be taken seriously. (748 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -22%

I thought I might give this one a try seeing that I would be able to build my own six pack. I saw this and thought it might be a nice beer to try on a summer day. Well it didn't hold up to expections. Pour out a straw color with some decent size head that settled down eventually. Smell was rather weak. Some blackberries in there but quite light. Taste was light as well. It's almost like a fruit flavored macro. Aftertaste was quite watery as well. Pass on this one. There's much better fruit beers out there during the summertime. (533 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +30.2%

light golden color, carbonated with a slight white head that leaves
fairly quick; not that fruity actually, a bit on the dry side but very
quenching for a summer out with friends on a warm/hot day. A
change from the wine crowd ( I like both), but this is refreshing, the
thing I like most about this beer is its not TOO SWEET. Nice
blackberry touch without overdoing it. I like this beer more on
the dry side, I'm not sure what else I'm tasting but grassy with some other light spices is as close as I can guess. Great beer company, I've been sampling their
beers during the seasons, they're worth seeking out. (617 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +45.6%

I really love to drink this beer during the summer. Smooth blackberry flavor not ot over powering. Light color with a nice white head. This beer is great on tap but mostly served in the bottle. During the brew festival in Burlington thye actually but a fresh blackberry in your tasting glass. Nice touch to finish a great beer. Drinking a few is fine having more than three sometimes gets alittle too sweet. Nice change from drinking heavier malter beers. Don't pass this fruit beer by really nice wheat beer. (509 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bright golden color with a small head. Smells like straight up berries. Very tart and slightly sweet. The taste of the blackberries is much more subtle than I thought it would be, but my mouth felt extremely dry after drinking it. Carbonation is thru the roof. Kinda reminded me of seltzer in a way. Can anyone else relate to that? It left my wouth too dry to want another one.

My friend who goes to school in Vermont raves about this beer so I had to see what all the fuss was about. Wheat beer just isn't my thing, but if you enjoy it it might be worth a try. (564 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +0.7%

A pretty good wheat beer with a strong but not overwhelming blackberry flavor. As with most fruit beers, it is a little on the sweet side, but it is smoot compared to some others. The appearance is flaxen with a bit of a head. The smell is sweet and appealing, and the carbonation level is good. (295 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +1%

very lgiht in color seemingly just a shade of gold to it. thick white head that disapetes quickly but has tiny bubles bursting to the top at a pretty regular pace. as i poured it i got a whiff of blackberries, but once in the glass there is only a very faint odor of fruit. other smells include a slightly sour smell and wet grass smells. very crisp taste with a twinkle of blackberries on the back of your tounge and a an aftertaste more like a cheap lager then a wheat beer. very thin and crisp, good summer day beer, very drinkable, not anything that will confound the senses but enjoyable...very much a long trail type beer, if you like there other offerings this will certainly be up your alley. (700 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -13.1%

This fruit/American wheat style ale is light straw in color. A minimal head is produced with the initial pour. Aroma is lightly sprinkled with blackberries and faint grain/cereal. Berry tartness greets with the first sip along with some light wheat grain. The finish is dry and crisp. Admittedly, I am not a fan of these light wheat beers. However, even the wife, who typically enjoys this style in the summer, thought this was rather weak. (440 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +1%

Pours a clear gold, well carbonated with a two finger foamy white head, leaves broken rings of lacing.
Sweet berry aroma, a grainy note - toasted wheat?
Fruity taste, a little tart, dry in the back, there is a berry feel to the taste, crisp malt.
Light bodied, would not stand up to repeated drinking. (304 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -4.3%

Brew poured to a very clear yellow with a limited white head that broke down quickly and left hardly any lacing. The smell of this brew was mostly of berry with a wheat aroma in the background. The taste is not that impressive, mostly wheat with what I perceived as a strong berry tang. At first it seemed to be interesting, but a third of the way threw it lost me. Not a great brew in my books, but fruit flavored brews have never been my thing. So if reading this report please take that into account. (503 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -9.8%

This beer poured a very clear yellow/tan body with a small white head

The nose was soft malt with a sweet berry fruit smell.

The taste was very light and smooth. Nice soft malt, some wheat, a light even bitterness with some subtle earthy hop notes and a fruit cocktail sort of flavor that I can only assume are blackberries. The berry flavor is pretty nice actually. You can tell it’s not an extract or syrup, it tastes very natural.
It ends very light with little to no lingering bitterness or aftertaste.

Not bad, it’s just not a beer I’d go for again. I had a six pack of this in my fridge and I was in the mood for a beer and when I thought about this beer I actually decided to just not drink. Not that it’s that bad, it’s just so light that it tastes like a quality fruit beer that’s been cut with bud. I’ll pass. (836 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +28.5%

Served a straw amber with a more white than off-white head on top. Much better on tap over the bottled version of this brew. Worth a shot if you get a chance to taste a fresh keg. Nice and fruity and quite tasty, but lacking balance. Still, very drinkable though. (263 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +1.6%

The beer pours a light gold color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is light and grainy. It has a wheat zing to it with a weak blackberry scent. The taste is average. It's light and refreshing. There has a wheat taste with a very weak blackberry flavor. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a very average fruit beer. My advice: add more fruit and increase the ratio of wheat malts to pale base grains. There is hardly any flavor here. If this didn't say blackberry on the bottle I never would have known. (551 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +44.3%

LT BBW was the first 6-pack I legally bought on my own. It was a hot, late summer day and these brews tasted excellent. While my friends give me shit for liking fruity beers, this is one of my all time favorites. The flavor cannot be matched by any other fruit brew i've ever tried. It poured with a minimal head but with an excellent amber color. The fruit taste is not overwhelming like many others which makes them very drinkable. I could down a few 6-packs in an evening without getting sick of the taste. (509 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +30.2%

Golden yellow color. Thin whispy white head. Fades fast. Fairly impressive aromoas of fresh picked blackberries, sweet malt and a hints of freshly mown grass. Really very positive though.
Nice fruit beer taste. Tart, crisp clean berry taste matched with a traditional crisp, clean traditional wheat beer. Not a harsh metallic wheat ale taste that you get, but crisp and refreshing. Lots of blackberries to finish, sharp tart sweetness on the finish. Light to medium bodied very drinkable. Brought home from New England on our recent vacation. (544 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Clear appearance with very little head..some slight balckberry smell, but reminded me more of a lager than a wheat. Ok in the crispness category, but with very little aftertaste to remind you of the experience. Easy enough to drink, but mainly due to its light quality. Probably a decent choice for someone who likes a light beer tatse. (336 characters)

Blackbeary Wheat from Long Trail Brewing Co.