2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blackbeary Wheat - Long Trail Brewing Co.

Blackbeary WheatBlackbeary Wheat

Long Trail Brewing Co. visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

This brew combines 2-Row Pilsen malt, a hint of Crystal malt, and of course, plenty of malted wheat. A hint of blackberry at the finish makes this beer a real thirst quencher! For the health conscious, Blackbeary Wheat has less than 6 grams of carbs and only 110 calories per bottle!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blackbeary Wheat Alström Bros
Ratings: 627 | Reviews: 309 | Show All Ratings:
rousee

4.05/5  rDev +30.6%

This is one of Long Trail's Summer seasonals. The other one is called Pollenator (I'm not sure if they made it this year--I didn't try it if they did) . I always preferred the blackberry wheat over the pollenator anyway. They do make minor changes to the recipe on these each year and I have to say that this years version I did not like as much as previous years.

It is still a light gold color with very little head yet a decent amount of carbonation. The wheat is evident from the start and the blackberry flavor comes through immediately afterwards. It is not an overpowering berry flavor which is a big plus but I felt like this years berry flavor was more faint than in past years. I still do like to get a good berry rush without it being overpowering. It is still a great Summer beer and goes real well with spicy food. The berry flavor seems to cut the spiciness of food quite well. I remember in past years thinking that the draft version was always a little better than the bottled one. However, I am not sure if I will have a chance to try the draft version this year. Still, a real good bottled beer that I wish was more readily available in the Boston area.

08-18-2004 12:20:41 | More by rousee
connecticutpoet

3.98/5  rDev +28.4%

This was a clear yellow ale, with absolutely no head - and I tried to pour it so I'd get one.

The aroma was first of wheat malt, then of berry sweetness that filled my nostrils and promised an interesting experience.

Tasting gave me a very fast initial bitter foretaste, followed by a rush of crisp wheatiness, followed by blackberries... which then faded into a long wheat finish. Very nice. It was rather highly carbonated.

Mouthfeel was crisp and clean like a good wheat should be. A very nice drinking beer for summertime.

08-18-2004 02:42:12 | More by connecticutpoet
ybnorml

Rhode Island

3.43/5  rDev +10.6%

The beer is a pale yellow in color with absolutely no head at all. The aroma has a light grainyness with a hint of berry sweetness. The flavor is a great balance between the berry sweetness and a smooth hop bitterness on the finish. A refreshing hot weather break.

08-17-2004 13:01:26 | More by ybnorml
Truh

New Hampshire

3.43/5  rDev +10.6%

Woke up from hibernation with this one on 8/7/2004 at the Long Trail Brewing Company pub. 16-oz. pour in shaker glass.

Touted as a “light and crisp low carb (6 grams) summer quencher” on the pub’s beer menu, I was instantly put off by their base pandering. Clearing my mind of all prejudice, I set to task. Extremely light yellow to faint gold in hue, with huge bubbles scudding up through the crystalline liquid. Flimsy, sticking head throughout the session. Spring-like quality to the whole bouquet, with blackberry scent swimming around the edges of the chewy wheat. At taste, blackberry sweetness predominated, with a light wheat presence, which meant it wasn’t too soapy. Very crisp and fairly refreshing, with a snap to it.

Although I wonder about their need to promote it’s low-carb qualities, I found this to be a gratifying summer brew.

08-13-2004 19:47:03 | More by Truh
kmo1030

3.23/5  rDev +4.2%

really pale straw color with a decent sized white head. the smell consists of a light malt aroma with a hint of blackberries behind it. the taste is very crisp with a slight grainyness and a little bit of hops. the blackberry hits you towards the finish and aftertaste. i'm gonna give a 3.5 for taste because while it doesn't necessarily taste alot like 'beer' it does taste good. i feel like i could drink it for breakfast. it also that mark on the condition that more than two aren't consumed, because this could get to be too sweet if drank in quantity. the body is watery and seltzer like. this beer could be a lot better. it has a lot of potential, but generally falls short of it's mark. it's a little too unsubstantial to be taken seriously.

08-09-2004 20:36:36 | More by kmo1030
necoadam

2.35/5  rDev -24.2%

I thought I might give this one a try seeing that I would be able to build my own six pack. I saw this and thought it might be a nice beer to try on a summer day. Well it didn't hold up to expections. Pour out a straw color with some decent size head that settled down eventually. Smell was rather weak. Some blackberries in there but quite light. Taste was light as well. It's almost like a fruit flavored macro. Aftertaste was quite watery as well. Pass on this one. There's much better fruit beers out there during the summertime.

07-15-2004 01:47:51 | More by necoadam
littlebibs

New Hampshire

3.98/5  rDev +28.4%

light golden color, carbonated with a slight white head that leaves
fairly quick; not that fruity actually, a bit on the dry side but very
quenching for a summer out with friends on a warm/hot day. A
change from the wine crowd ( I like both), but this is refreshing, the
thing I like most about this beer is its not TOO SWEET. Nice
blackberry touch without overdoing it. I like this beer more on
the dry side, I'm not sure what else I'm tasting but grassy with some other light spices is as close as I can guess. Great beer company, I've been sampling their
beers during the seasons, they're worth seeking out.

07-12-2004 23:15:39 | More by littlebibs
bigone4

Rhode Island

4.43/5  rDev +42.9%

I really love to drink this beer during the summer. Smooth blackberry flavor not ot over powering. Light color with a nice white head. This beer is great on tap but mostly served in the bottle. During the brew festival in Burlington thye actually but a fresh blackberry in your tasting glass. Nice touch to finish a great beer. Drinking a few is fine having more than three sometimes gets alittle too sweet. Nice change from drinking heavier malter beers. Don't pass this fruit beer by really nice wheat beer.

06-29-2004 12:34:33 | More by bigone4
Jacobob10

2.73/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bright golden color with a small head. Smells like straight up berries. Very tart and slightly sweet. The taste of the blackberries is much more subtle than I thought it would be, but my mouth felt extremely dry after drinking it. Carbonation is thru the roof. Kinda reminded me of seltzer in a way. Can anyone else relate to that? It left my wouth too dry to want another one.

My friend who goes to school in Vermont raves about this beer so I had to see what all the fuss was about. Wheat beer just isn't my thing, but if you enjoy it it might be worth a try.

06-26-2004 21:22:51 | More by Jacobob10
scriabin

3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

A pretty good wheat beer with a strong but not overwhelming blackberry flavor. As with most fruit beers, it is a little on the sweet side, but it is smoot compared to some others. The appearance is flaxen with a bit of a head. The smell is sweet and appealing, and the carbonation level is good.

06-24-2004 23:34:57 | More by scriabin
MediocreatBest

3.1/5  rDev 0%

very lgiht in color seemingly just a shade of gold to it. thick white head that disapetes quickly but has tiny bubles bursting to the top at a pretty regular pace. as i poured it i got a whiff of blackberries, but once in the glass there is only a very faint odor of fruit. other smells include a slightly sour smell and wet grass smells. very crisp taste with a twinkle of blackberries on the back of your tounge and a an aftertaste more like a cheap lager then a wheat beer. very thin and crisp, good summer day beer, very drinkable, not anything that will confound the senses but enjoyable...very much a long trail type beer, if you like there other offerings this will certainly be up your alley.

06-04-2004 23:55:11 | More by MediocreatBest
John

2.63/5  rDev -15.2%

This fruit/American wheat style ale is light straw in color. A minimal head is produced with the initial pour. Aroma is lightly sprinkled with blackberries and faint grain/cereal. Berry tartness greets with the first sip along with some light wheat grain. The finish is dry and crisp. Admittedly, I am not a fan of these light wheat beers. However, even the wife, who typically enjoys this style in the summer, thought this was rather weak.

05-19-2004 16:50:42 | More by John
mschofield

3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a clear gold, well carbonated with a two finger foamy white head, leaves broken rings of lacing.
Sweet berry aroma, a grainy note - toasted wheat?
Fruity taste, a little tart, dry in the back, there is a berry feel to the taste, crisp malt.
Light bodied, would not stand up to repeated drinking.

05-19-2004 16:05:08 | More by mschofield
Stimack

2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

Brew poured to a very clear yellow with a limited white head that broke down quickly and left hardly any lacing. The smell of this brew was mostly of berry with a wheat aroma in the background. The taste is not that impressive, mostly wheat with what I perceived as a strong berry tang. At first it seemed to be interesting, but a third of the way threw it lost me. Not a great brew in my books, but fruit flavored brews have never been my thing. So if reading this report please take that into account.

05-17-2004 02:00:26 | More by Stimack
taez555

2.78/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer poured a very clear yellow/tan body with a small white head

The nose was soft malt with a sweet berry fruit smell.

The taste was very light and smooth. Nice soft malt, some wheat, a light even bitterness with some subtle earthy hop notes and a fruit cocktail sort of flavor that I can only assume are blackberries. The berry flavor is pretty nice actually. You can tell it’s not an extract or syrup, it tastes very natural.
It ends very light with little to no lingering bitterness or aftertaste.

Not bad, it’s just not a beer I’d go for again. I had a six pack of this in my fridge and I was in the mood for a beer and when I thought about this beer I actually decided to just not drink. Not that it’s that bad, it’s just so light that it tastes like a quality fruit beer that’s been cut with bud. I’ll pass.

05-13-2004 07:51:15 | More by taez555
scottum

Vermont

3.93/5  rDev +26.8%

Served a straw amber with a more white than off-white head on top. Much better on tap over the bottled version of this brew. Worth a shot if you get a chance to taste a fresh keg. Nice and fruity and quite tasty, but lacking balance. Still, very drinkable though.

04-20-2004 20:45:22 | More by scottum
WesWes

3.1/5  rDev 0%

The beer pours a light gold color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is light and grainy. It has a wheat zing to it with a weak blackberry scent. The taste is average. It's light and refreshing. There has a wheat taste with a very weak blackberry flavor. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a very average fruit beer. My advice: add more fruit and increase the ratio of wheat malts to pale base grains. There is hardly any flavor here. If this didn't say blackberry on the bottle I never would have known.

01-14-2004 01:10:46 | More by WesWes
PaleAleHater

4.45/5  rDev +43.5%

LT BBW was the first 6-pack I legally bought on my own. It was a hot, late summer day and these brews tasted excellent. While my friends give me shit for liking fruity beers, this is one of my all time favorites. The flavor cannot be matched by any other fruit brew i've ever tried. It poured with a minimal head but with an excellent amber color. The fruit taste is not overwhelming like many others which makes them very drinkable. I could down a few 6-packs in an evening without getting sick of the taste.

11-14-2003 18:50:13 | More by PaleAleHater
StevieW

3.98/5  rDev +28.4%

Golden yellow color. Thin whispy white head. Fades fast. Fairly impressive aromoas of fresh picked blackberries, sweet malt and a hints of freshly mown grass. Really very positive though.
Nice fruit beer taste. Tart, crisp clean berry taste matched with a traditional crisp, clean traditional wheat beer. Not a harsh metallic wheat ale taste that you get, but crisp and refreshing. Lots of blackberries to finish, sharp tart sweetness on the finish. Light to medium bodied very drinkable. Brought home from New England on our recent vacation.

10-24-2003 23:37:44 | More by StevieW
edchicma

3.38/5  rDev +9%

Clear appearance with very little head..some slight balckberry smell, but reminded me more of a lager than a wheat. Ok in the crispness category, but with very little aftertaste to remind you of the experience. Easy enough to drink, but mainly due to its light quality. Probably a decent choice for someone who likes a light beer tatse.

10-10-2003 22:45:16 | More by edchicma
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours to a pale gold body with a thin white head. Very still. Nice wheat smell but not much else. I don't even smell the blackberry.

Tastes of bright wheat malt with a cold dry finish. Not much aftertaste. I do like that they have not overpowered the actual beer flavors with blackberry. That being said, it a very light and unremarkable ale. Quite drinkable and refreshing. Does make a good beer for a hot day.

09-22-2003 01:48:15 | More by ViveLaChouffe
yankeeheel

Maine

2.03/5  rDev -34.5%

Let me just say up front that I am a big fan of Long Trail ales, but this is a dog going down the wrong path. The beer looks and smells as if you took some blackberry flavoring and dumped it in a bud, miller lite, etc...

The taste is unremarkable at best. The berry quickly leaves and there is no discernable wheat texture or taste. Mouthfeel is akin to tap water.

There are some really good fruit ales out there, this isn't one of them.

09-08-2003 01:30:14 | More by yankeeheel
kunzbrew

2.68/5  rDev -13.5%

This brew pours a straw color with no head. Small bubbles roll from the bottom of the glass to the top.

The aroma is very fruity, blackberry, hops are very low in aroma. Maltiness is non existent.

I am not a big fruit guy so I have a hard time drinking this one. The berry flavor is so strong the hops and malts leave. As the beer warms still more of the same.

I think a girl would be able to drink these like water but I can't.

Cheers

08-28-2003 01:31:58 | More by kunzbrew
far333

2.73/5  rDev -11.9%

Very light all around. Light color, light aroma, light flavor. Color was as if someone put a drip of yellow egg coloring liquid into tap water. Head was low and white and left the scene quickly. Aroma was of blackberry, but nothing else. Flavor was of light, sweet blackberry, but nothing else. Wouldn't even have guessed that it was a wheat. No malt or hop profile. Watery mouthfeel, a bit of fizzy carbonation. Disappointing selection.

07-17-2003 01:13:45 | More by far333
GreatPondBrewer

2.25/5  rDev -27.4%

There is something about fruit beers that I just don't like. With the Blackbeary Wheat it was the overall taste and mouthfeel. The pour was straight golden with not too much in the way of head and no lace to speak of. Smell was dominitated by Blackbeary, but that is to be expected. The taste was nothing but glorified, berry flavored selzter water. No malts, no hops, no nothing. Just very corbonated water. If I want that I'll buy Poland Spring. I wouldn't mind seeing a fruit beer that had a thicker more maltier taste with just a slight aromoa of the designated fruit. I trust that this beer is not indicitive of the entire Longtrail line.

06-27-2003 15:13:35 | More by GreatPondBrewer
Blackbeary Wheat from Long Trail Brewing Co.