Blackbeary Wheat - Long Trail Brewing Co.

Blackbeary WheatBlackbeary Wheat

Long Trail Brewing Co. visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

This brew combines 2-Row Pilsen malt, a hint of Crystal malt, and of course, plenty of malted wheat. A hint of blackberry at the finish makes this beer a real thirst quencher! For the health conscious, Blackbeary Wheat has less than 6 grams of carbs and only 110 calories per bottle!

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-08-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blackbeary Wheat Alström Bros
3.1/5  rDev -0.3%

This was a favorite of mine for a while, before I got into tasting some real quality micro-brews out there. Long Trial is not a bad beer to start with, get yourself involved, I always thought it was top notch. Having this now, it tastes sort of like Miller Light laced with blackberry flavoring. It's light, good for the summer, but the taste is lacking, there is not much complexity, and the only thing I can really taste is the blackberry. It's ok, an average beer, I like buying the Long Trail mix-pack, and I don't mind that it's in there, but I wouldn't buy a sixer/twelver just for this. It's average.

Pittsburgh, Mar 27, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -5.1%

A - pours an astonishingly light and clear golden color with very little head
S - smells of wheat and sour blackberry
T - tastes of sour artificial-like blackberry flavors, wheat flavor as well, not too much here though
M - light-bodied, smooth but watery
D - it's drinkable, but I wouldn't really want more than one

josefnewsong, Feb 10, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Long hard day of skiing at Stratton VT. Time to unwind with a nice long trail.

A - Very light yellow, clear. Minimal head and lacing.

S - Sweet berry aroma. Decent, not too strong.

T - Berry flavor mixes well with the wheat. Slight malt. Very pleasant.

M - Very light, medium carbonation.

D - I had a couple. Nice light fruit beer if you are in the mood for the style.

DNICE555, Jan 27, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. A friend brought some back to Ohio for me from New Hampshire, and it was a delicious treat. It was full of flavor, and the fruit taste was not overbearing, as is the case with many "berry" beers. It still tasted like a beer, not like some juice drink. I recommend this beer to anyone!

Stoots9, Jan 24, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +4.5%

My beer store is stocking this now so I threw this in a mix and match sixer (2.50 base price)

A - Wow for a fruit beer I didn't expect it to have such a light yellow color. No head to speak of and very little carbonation
S - Smells kind of like slight sour blackberries.
T - Mostly wheat with very little berry flavor which is why it got a better rating than berry weiss I guess.
M - Too light for my liking and it fells little like beer to tell you the truth. More like champagne.
D - I don't think I want any more of this. It was ok to try but really not that great of a fruit beer.

Overall this makes me want to go to my fridge and crack a Lennie Berry Weiss.

DrDemento456, Jan 19, 2010

I bought a 6 pack of this purely out of curiosity as Im generally not a fruit beer drinker but I thought for sure longtrail could pull something off that I would enjoy like with most of there beers.

This poured an ultra light pale with a white head that lasted for a few seconds and left without a sign of lacing.

I really hate to do it because I love longtrail but this beer lacked in almost every aspect to me. The taste was bland with the slightest hint of bitterness (the bad kind) and barely any blackberry flavor (only the slightest tones in the finish).

I can gaurantee that one bottle I tried will be my last although I will continue to buy longtrail and wish them the best in future beers.

JustinJTisdale, Jan 18, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -10%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I found this in my fridge... No clue how it got there. Might as well review it!

Hmmm... well, this is a 'fruit' beer... but, there's more of a fruit scent than any true fruit flavor. For a wheat beer, this is crystal clear... hmmm. I'm searching for any hint of a wheat malt flavor, but it's non existent. I will say that there is an odd fruity aftertaste.. but it's verrrry faint, and the flavor is unidentifiable.

I will say that this would be a good thirst quencher as the label suggests... so, drinkability would be higher than any other aspect.

SirSaranac, Jan 17, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -10%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Has a very very light golden color with a small white head no laceing. Besides the weak berry smell not much of anything else going on kind of lackluster. The taste is about the same as the smell for being blackberry wheat you think would be a strong taste of one of the two. Good mouth feel smooth with good carbonation. I find it to be drinkable but would not waste my money on it not worth it no taste.

yuenglings, Jan 14, 2010
1.78/5  rDev -42.8%

don't want to be a hater, but didn't like this puppy. too sweet, and nothing else about it was good enough to justify that. good for college girls who want to move beyond Coors Lite?

A - clear, unremarkable.

S - nose was most interesting thing, sweet berry, but no hop or malt

T - Ack.

M - fair

D - I've tried it 2 or 3 times now, out of a variety case, but one at a time is enough.

Throckmorton, Jan 04, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a crystal clear pale straw color with a fluffy pure white head that settles into a sparse cap. Looks like one of those american light lagers. The aroma is of blackberries and grain. The fruit aroma pretty much dominates anything else. The taste is of the wheat malt, kind of grainy with a vegetable note. This is followed by the blackberry flavor which adds a little sweetness and tartness to the brew. The flavor is very light and not all that appealing. The feel is light and fizzy and finishes sweet. The beer drinks ok but I wouldn't want to try it when it gets warm. Basically a light macro with blackberry flavor.

Gmann, Dec 31, 2009

Pours a clear, very light yellow color with more than a finger of big bubbly white foam. Head fades to just a thin film across the top of the beer that is supported by nearly nonstop bubbles. Nose is dominated by the berry aroma with a little bit of the wheat coming through as it warms and sulfur playing in the back. Taste is mostly fruit in the front, wheat comes through a bit in the thin body and high carb level.

This beer would be best suited for a post grass cutting marathon. That wasn't my situation today so I am not really that thrilled about it.

stakem, Dec 23, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -9%

Long Trail Blackberry wheat has a very clear golden body and small, thin looking white head.

The aroma has a cereal character to it with a slight fruit-like tartness.

The main problem with this beer is that I am not sure I would be able to identify it as a wheat beer if I tasted it blind. Aside from the fact that I don't taste wheat, the body is thinner than I would expect and it is filtered. With that said, the flavor is not bad (I don't want to empty my glass in to the sink) it is just weak. A hint of cereal from the grain is followed by a slightly tart flavor that reminds me of smartees candy. That's all.

As I said before, the mouthfeel is too thin for a good wheat beer, and it is rather highly carbonation.

One thing I will say for this beer is that it is not something that you sip; a few of these go back very quickly (especially if you had some beer you really wanted to drink and you just wanted to get these puppies out of the way).

Hojaminbag, Dec 22, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

A: Very pale yellow, not much of a head and no lacing. Off to a bad start.

S: What smell?

T: Nothing offensive, nothing spectacular. Some pleasant blackberry is about the only thing to speak of until the understated wheaty aftertaste.

M: Thin and fizzy. Disappointing for a wheat beer. Makes me wonder if it's really a wheat at all.

D: Despite the subpar qualities that dominate this beer, it is quite drinkable with the only deterring factor being the desire to drink something better.

BeefyMee, Dec 20, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -1.9%

A - This must have been filtered like seventeen times. Transparent, extremely carbonated, and the head comes and goes. Looks like bud light.

S - I like the smell. Smells like blackberrys, which is better than I can say for the taste. Very little beer smell to this though.

T - Blackberry Seltzer. Extremely carbonated, which interferes with the blackberry taste. The initial blackberry taste is quickly washed away. I don't taste any evidence of this being a wheat beer, or even a beer for the matter.

MF - Extremely carbonated. Very light though, so it's rather refreshing.

D - I'm going to be glad when this is beer is over.

MikeBrandman, Dec 17, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +27%

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle.
A- It's a nice gold, with some bubbles. It has an average head that dissipates quickly, but leaves a decent lace.
S- Very fruity scent to it.
T- Like the scent, it's very crisp and has a spicy fruit taste to it, kind of like what a cider gatorade would taste like. Interesting.

Amalak, Dec 02, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +21.5%

for the style, nice deep 'pale' straw color with a lean, muscular head...LOOKS substantial

like other similar fruit-wheats, the smell is a nice balance of both the style and the fruit source. even at it's best, wheat brews aren't my favorite to drink or sniff, but on occasion can be a pleasant surprise. so far this one is.

actually, before the taste hits, i notice the mouthfeel, the creamy but thin quality with some dosage of carbonation. not bad, but there is no explosion of flavor here. much dissipates as quick as the head and requires another quick swallow. not a bad thing. but nothing to savor per se...at least nothing cloying here.

therefore, it's quite drinkable as a session, esp. if somethin salty or spicy is involved. or dark chocolate.

mempath, Nov 21, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -10%

This was the beer of the week selection when we went out to dinner at Friday's in Buffalo.
Poured yellow in color, white foam that quickly disappeared, tiniest bit of lacing. Some sweet, but artificial berry-like smell. Very mild flavor, tart almost sour, more of the same berry taste. Some metalic-like finish. Thin body, bubbly carbonation. Not very impressed, there are lots of way better examples. But there is a cute cartoon bear (and pun) on the label.
I thought maybe it was just me, but reading other reviews, I guess I am not too far off base.

BigBry, Nov 20, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance: Clear straw beer with a minor head that hangs over the beer.

Smell: Sweet smell of berry and the hint of grain and straw.

Taste: Some hints of blackberry, but mostly watery and a bit of bitter twang. Reminded me of berry flavored seltzer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and bubbly. Crisp.

Drinkability: If pressed, I would drink, but I wouldn't buy this beer on my own. I'm upset because the label of a bear stealing a pie and about to be hit by a rolling pin really excited me, and I really wanted to like this beer.

KenC411, Nov 09, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: clear, straw gold in color, medium carbonation, no head

Smell: blackberries and wheat

Taste: wheat, grass, and a big dose of blackberries towards the end towards the end.

Mouthfeel: medium/light bodied, high carbonation, crisp

Drinkability: A nice light lager with a good, but not overpowering taste. Not the most complex beer. A summer treat and a favorite from Long Trail. This is an excellent camping beer that I could have six of in the summer and a couple in other seasons.

tigg924, Oct 29, 2009
3.23/5  rDev +3.9%

12 oz bottle won at a WHALES Homebrewing Club meeting - thanks guys! Poured into an Ithaca Beer Company pint glass.

A - Pours crystal clear pale yellow with one finger of foam that dissipates quickly. Lacing is nonexistent.

S - a bit of wheat malt aroma, not much else

T - very clean tasting, with a very thin body and almost no residual sweetness. Extremely dry finish. Blackberry flavor doesn't poke through very much. No noticable hop flavor or bitterness.

M - Nicely carbonated, and very crisp.

D - So dry that it leaves you thirsty for more.

Overall, a good, clean summer beer. Would have liked to see a little flavor, be it from the blackberries, yeast, wheat malt... just something.

FickleBeast, Sep 19, 2009
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

A- Poured a pale (filtered) yellow color, with some active carbonation visible from the sides of the glass... the white foamy head quickly evaporated, giving way to a little, tiny, bit of lacing.

S- Aromas of blackberry and honey dominate the nose, with some restrained grassy notes. Not picking any hop aroma here...

T- Very mild flavors of tart wheat combine with bigger flavors of blackberry... but this blackberry seems synthetic... no hops bitterness here (as expected). I am picking up some restrained honey flavors. The finish is very short lived. Overall, the taste reminds me of Blackberry flavored seltzer water...

M- Thin body with spritzy carbonation... leaves a lot to be desired... and bolsters the seltzer water analogy.

D- I consumed just enough to give this beer a fair assessment... and poured the rest of the bottle down the drain. I'm sure there's someone out there that likes this stuff in the bottle, but I'm not one of them...

jgasparine, Aug 23, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Far too pale and sickly yellow for my liking. Not very impressed. Thin white head poured into a pint.

S- Blackberries.

T- Blackberries throughout, though obviously an artificial flavor. Mixes well with the wheat, as most fruits do.

M- A tad watery and thin.

D- Goes down very easily. I drank 4 of the 6 pack in one sitting.

Other- not my favorite fruit beer (in fact I am still in search for that) but not bad. Good on a summer day.

mdale13, Aug 20, 2009

Great brew, here. On tap in a pint glass.

A- Pale, pale, pale yellow. Not my favorite.

S- Blackberry in spades. Sugary, syrupy, and inviting.

T- Blackberry flavor, concentrated, but great.. blends surprisingly well with a pale wheat ale. The wheat adds some body behind the blackberry and makes it more than a 1-note brew. Fantastic!

M- Crisp, flavorful, if just a bit thin.

D- Insane... keep it coming!

ShogoKawada, Aug 07, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -15.4%

12oz Brown Bottle. Pint Glass

A: Pours clear straw yellow with two finger white head which goes away at once. No lacing.

S: Blackberry is fairly strong. Faint hops.

T/M: tastes like a fruit drink with too much carbonation. However this brew is crisp and refreshing.

D: Not to great. Good for the dog days of summer. Light with a low ABV %.

Cheers

mnrider, Aug 03, 2009
3.13/5  rDev +0.6%

A- Clear, light yellow body with a nice white head.

S- Note of berry with some grain/grass.

T- There is a nice mix between the slight berry taste and the wheat. The finish is fairly crisp.

M- Nice carbonation on a light body.

D- A nice hot-weather beer; quenches the thirst well.

TommyW, Jul 28, 2009
Blackbeary Wheat from Long Trail Brewing Co.