Coffee Stout (Brewmaster Series) - Long Trail Brewing Co.

Coffee Stout (Brewmaster Series)Coffee Stout (Brewmaster Series)

Long Trail Brewing Co. visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

Long Trail Coffee Stout is made in cooperation with the Vermont Coffee Company using 100% certified fair trade, organic coffee. Brewed with their freshest, Dark Roast coffee, Long Trail Coffee Stout offers a rich coffee flavor complemented by a beautifully full head.

(Beer added by: Brad007 on 01-23-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
JLapadura

03-30-2012 16:00:55 | More by JLapadura
jtierney89

2.3/5  rDev -41.6%

Pours a deep deep velvet color, close to black, no light comes through it. Thin coffee colored head which recedes quickly. Without even sniffing it I can smell the coffee in this beer. If you put this beer up to my nose with my eyes closed I would tell you it's a fresh brewed cup of roasted black coffee. Hints of chocolate and vanilla bean.

Unfortunately the first sip was somewhat unimpressive. Not really much going on up front with a thinner body than expected for a double stout. The back end is nothing but bitter black coffee on the other hand, and lots of it. Seriously tastes like an iced black coffee pumped with some CO2. The body holds up well and all but the coffee dominates the pallette lingering long after the sip has finished. If you look really deeply into the beer you can find notes of vanilla and chesnut but you really have to dig. If you really dig coffee than yeah you might like this. But for me, the beer qualities are masked too much by this monster Vermont coffee bean and I feel like it's a brisk early morning where I have no energy and Im sucking back whatever coffee I can find. (Hey! maybe i'll drink this before work tomorrow morning!)

The brewmaster series led me on with their incredible DIPA. Centennial red and Coffee stout havent been great.

02-29-2012 05:29:21 | More by jtierney89

12-30-2011 15:01:31 | More by 11millsown113
mjn5036

New Hampshire

2.78/5  rDev -29.4%

I have actually been anxiously waiting to try this particular beer because of how wonderful I hear it is. We shall see...

22oz bomber poured into a White Birch glass. The initial pour looks promising, although most stouts are able to achieve a modest appearance. It pours a near opaque black with dark brown highlights. A large, two and a half finger head quickly rises from the pour. It is mocha in color and resides in my glass for approximately 3 minutes before dying off for the most part. As it fades, there is an initial wave of thick, intricate lacing left behind. After a few moments these thin and begin to disappear.

The nose on this is predominately coffee along with some* of the typical stout characteristics. Maybe a hint of chocolate sneaks past the charred coffee smell that pillages the olfactory senses. Honestly a bit lackluster and average at best.

The taste follows suit with the nose; in this case, it's not really a good thing. A harsh amount of bitter coffee glides over the other glaring flaws in this beer. There is a really unpleasant burnt characteristic that lingers for far too long and the alcohol is noticeable, despite having a moderate abv. Faint chocolate is barely recognizable, but there nonetheless.

The carbonation is just fine in this beer. For me, it is really quite thin. I realize that we are dealing with a plain old coffee stout, nothing of the imperial type, but it is still far too thin for me. EDIT** Alas, I have lied. This is in fact an American Double Stout (just because of the abv?) Really quite a fail in the mouthfeel department then....

Overall I was let down by this one. Maybe it was better in previous years but this just did not do it for me. It drank plenty easy enough but the nose and taste were not very good at all. I'm going to cross my fingers and try this one again in a few months.

03-25-2011 04:48:07 | More by mjn5036
Ego

2.85/5  rDev -27.7%

eyes...
a full finger of milk chocolate color head, beautiful and uniform bubbles form a cell wall that undulates against the glass as a solid mass exercising their will in unison, from the sway is left remnants tracing the trails and waves along the direction to the bottom of the glass, although strong looking the head is not furious and calms down to a mere simmer within a minute or perhaps less when I was not staring intently, light chooses to bend around this rather than make the perilous journey through the dark interior, this is good looking but not perhaps curl your feet wizard of oz bad witch ending.

nose...
for some reason it reminds me of unbrewed coffee, just the beans, mixed with some tart notes, the alcohol notes mix well into the nose but is detectable, I get a slightly woody type smell, like wet oak or some such with also a hair of vanilla, the nose has plenty going on but I just don't love it, hey, some people dig angelina jolie, some people dig jenifer aniston, such is life...

taste etc...
I am a bit miffed by this one... the great coffee flavor is there on a linger on the after taste, the initial (and majority) of the taste is sort of a sour carbonated thing, it really wallops the sides of the taste buds in the middle of my tongue only then retreating into a nice coffee flavor, it is almost like a cup of joe gone wrong, but you know it is good joe.... so you keep sipping it (and in the case of joe you are looking for that caffeine fix of course). Like coffee you want to love this, but you don't... but you keep drinking it expecting something to happen, but it doesn't. There is some mild warming from the ABV but this at celler temp is just not happening for me...

verdict?
the aftertaste is great.. getting there? oy....

12-23-2012 06:35:47 | More by Ego
ESeab

2.88/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

22oz Bomber poured into standard pint glass

A- Black with a one finger white/tan head. Not thick, lacing in the glass

S - Smell of roasted coffee, malt, a bit of dark chocolate, dark fruit, and alcohol but very faint

T- This is where I was underwhelmed. Coffee stouts are arguably my favorite style of beer and this one just did not do anything for me. THe coffee wasn't strong, the chocolate was a bad bitter. Not complex but not too smooth either. I could taste the alcohol in this one which I usually don't in stouts unless they exceed 10%.

M- Thin to medium body. moderate carbonation. Leaves a sticky feeling behind

O - I bought two of these for $4.99 so I'm more underwhelmed than disappointed. I have never found a coffee stout I did not enjoy as much as this one.

I drank the second bottle and more of the same. I will not be seeking this beer out again

02-13-2013 04:25:34 | More by ESeab
Stinkypuss

2.88/5  rDev -26.9%

Appearance: Pours a black motor oil. Head forms and dissappears leaving a sticky black resin of a substance in the glass, damn, You'ze thick.

Smell: Aroma of chocolate malts and very faint coffee.

Taste: Roasted malts coupled with a pretty big alcohol bite. Some bitter cocoa. Coffee? Where? A little coffee flavor on the back end, which saves on the overall score. This one is more or less a hot mess.

Mouthfeel: Like beer syrup?? Thick, oily, low carbonation.

Drinkability: Initially I thought the beer was served too cold, but as it warms astringent alcohol comes out to the point of being overbearing. Got a bottle? Age it.

Notes: Also recently tried this on tap. A bit more pronounced coffee character, but a rather dull and unimpressive outing.

03-08-2010 05:15:20 | More by Stinkypuss
huskermike12

Iowa

05-02-2012 19:07:56 | More by huskermike12
charlesw

Pours thin and dark with tiny dark head that is quickly gone.

Smells of smoke and espresso.

Sadly it's listed as an RIS right now. Which is silly 'cause it's just not quite there. Yeah. An RIS is over the top. And thicker. This is a coffee stout, like it says on the bottle, eh? Smoked meats, dark coffee, hints of chocolate milk. Some sourness (hops, maybe?). Weird with the citrus aftertaste. Whoa. It seemed OK and pretty well balanced (for an RIS) up to the aftertaste. OK for a porter. Probably pretty close for a porter. A bit much smoke and the sour is annoying but pretty close.

Of course, the body isn't up to the RIS name either. Definitely a porter.

04-30-2009 22:40:21 | More by charlesw

12-19-2011 18:15:30 | More by GrindFatherBob
Bslied

Maryland

3.05/5  rDev -22.6%

I would like to start this review by saying I am not a coffee drinker and therefore might be biased when analyzing this beer. The beer poured a dark black with very little head. Immediately I picked up the strong aroma of coffee. This was further enforced after my first sip, which was filled with a very pronounced coffee taste. It was almost like drinking a very dark, alcoholic frozen coffee. Not being a fan of coffee, I did not enjoy this beer very much. It was tough to drink and I was glad when finished. Some of the redeeming qualities of the beer were that it had a nice mouthfeel, indicative of other imperial stouts. Additionally, I feel that the brewer executed the concept of a coffee stout very well. Not being a coffee drinker just turned me off to enjoying the beer.

02-03-2011 01:41:16 | More by Bslied
MoreThanWine

3.05/5  rDev -22.6%

Dark as a cup of coffee (duh) and without even a hint of head this beer simply delivers more coffee than beer. I suppose that's a good thing if you really like coffee but I was hoping more for an actual beer with some of the richness of coffee. Oh, and I don't mind taking my coffee black but it could have used a touch of sweetener.

08-29-2010 11:54:57 | More by MoreThanWine
BigMike

3.1/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours almost pure black with a fluffy coffee icecream colored head.
Nose consists of dark roasted chocolate malts and coffee the coffee is pretty light.
Maybe it's just me but I like really strong coffee. I mean strong enough to put hair on your chest. So when I drink a "coffee stout" I expect to taste coffee. The amount of coffee on the tongue is disappointing. Is extremely light and weak. There's a good amount of chocolate in the background and the alcohol is noticeable on the finish.
Mouthfeel seems light for a stout bordering on the watery side. It is however pretty smooth and easy to drink but the body is a letdown.
Overall not a very exciting beer. Light body. Light coffee. I would like a bit more flavor. Probably not something I would drink again.

09-12-2010 16:15:28 | More by BigMike
Reagan1984

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

Certainly poured like an Imp Stout. The classic head that forms from within the beer and looks like an eruption of dark brown foam rising from within the beer. Beer itself is almost black with some brown tones along the edges. Some spotty lace.

Aroma is no surprise and of coffee. Some chocolate notes as well.

Flavor was pretty nice, but I thought the coffee flavor wasn't my favorite. Sometimes the notes are more like coffee grounds vs. a nice coffee flavor. A touch more sweetness I think would have rounded this out nicely. Almost tasted a little burnt.

Mouth feel was slightly acidic and the body was full.

Pretty enjoyable, but not among my favorite Imp Stouts.

08-08-2009 01:58:53 | More by Reagan1984
JRed

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

Opaque, black hole in body with small coffee-with-creamer head. Creamy aroma of coffee, chocolate, cocoa, cinnamon, alcohol burn, roasted beans. Coffee flavors with cocoa undertone that is struggling to break free. Pop in some prunes. Hop bitterness interrupts toward the finish and the scale tips towards hops, an alcoholic burn and a sharp tang/prune-filled aftertaste. Hmm...a coffee prune stout? Yeah, it's as unsatisfying as it sounds. Cola mouthfeel and medium-heavy body. This stout is still waiting to mature. Don't worry, puberty is almost over. Go back to the brewery and figure yourself out. This beer has as much personality as Randy Jackson.

05-26-2010 01:48:49 | More by JRed
drinkiusmaximus

3.23/5  rDev -18%

A-pours black as midnight with a three fingers width head nice retention and plenty of sticky lacing.

S- roasted coffee ash and burnt toast.

T- very one dimensional it tastes like coffee and I guess it should being a coffee stout a little residual ashiness.

M-not an imperial so it is medium but very watery, slightly disappointing.

D-nice roasted coffee flavor but thin in the mouth leaves one somewhat wanting.

Prost!!!

JTomczak

Connecticut

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

08-07-2013 05:34:39 | More by JTomczak
Coffee Stout (Brewmaster Series) from Long Trail Brewing Co.