Great Lakes Devil's Pale Ale - Great Lakes Brewery

good

Great Lakes Brewery visit their website
Ontario, Canada

English Pale Ale |  6.60% ABV

Released in the fall of 2006, this was our first seasonal ale. However, the incredible response prompted us to make it available all year long on draught and in 473 ml cans. Brewed with 6 select malts and 4 premium hops, it has a rich mahogany colour, reminiscent of early English pale ales. The wonderful hoppy aroma is revealed even before your first sip, followed by a hearty malty body, and culminating with a pronounced bitterness. Prepare yourself for a devilishly good time…

(Beer added by: Viggo on 08-12-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Great Lakes Devil's Pale Ale Alström Bros
strawalker

4.43/5  rDev +19.4%

Color is aged port with a nice foamy off white head that stays at about 1/4 inch till finish. Despite all the assertions that this beer has a malt aroma up front, I get floral hops way up front with a malty, candy base. Taste is a yummy hoppy bite up front with a hint of caramel sweetness in the follow through. Medium body and mouth feel, very drinkable. Good beer, I will be purchasing again.

07-14-2010 23:12:15 | More by strawalker
decimator

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

From the OCB Discovery Pack Summer 2010.
473ml can poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured a clear dark amber-brown with a 1cm creamy head. The head was quickly gone. A little lacing is produced.

S - Mostly picking a toasted malts and a hint of citrus. It's mild but pleasant.

T - Sweet toffee, toasts and a mild bitterness from the hops. Surprisingly I'm not tasting the higher ABV.

M - Medium mouth feel and good carbonation. It does the job.

D - A beer I'll enjoy on occasion. Considering the 666 is a bit of a gimmick it turns out to be a decent beer.

07-03-2010 02:01:58 | More by decimator
TheSevenDuffs

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured in to pint glass

A - Medium brown colour with a hint of amber and half a finger of white head.

S - A good balance of bready malts and citrus hops up front. Neither is is dominant and the overall nose is light to moderate.

T - A good hop bite up front - some citrus and floral notes. A nice crisp bready malt backbone that provides a touch of sweetness to balance out the hops. A bitter citrus hop finish.

M - Light body, moderate carbonation.

D - A very good pale ale. I would buy this again.

07-01-2010 15:55:57 | More by TheSevenDuffs
mooseisloose

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

Another suitcase import from north of the border, lets give it a whirl. Popping the can and pouring into a pint glass reveals a nice bronze brew with a rich foamy head at least 2 inches of it. Not really much smell, what there is is some licorice and molasses. Taste is intrinsically English and nicely balanced. Very dry noble hops combined with a caramel malt. Lots of toffee like the center of a Heath bar, but not overly bitter, not sweet, kind of dry and light but very flavorful. Head stands like a champ throughout the pint with a nice lacing sticking as it is imbibed. This is a flavorful beer that is not at all over-bearing and would be a great session beer. Very high drinkability.

04-18-2010 16:45:56 | More by mooseisloose
JohnnyBarman

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

Finally picked this one up after passing by it so many times at the LCBO.

Poured into a nonic glass. Very dark amber, almost pushing into red ale territory. About a centimetre of white head, dissolved quickly into a ring. A few scattered flecks of lacing.

The nose is a bit muted, but I get mostly caramel and malts. Maybe a bit of dark fruit in there as well.

A nice, bitter ale. Sweet malts, bread and caramel mix well with bitter hops in the finish. Ended bitter, but not powerfully so. A very balanced brew, I quite enjoyed it. Similar in some respects to Mill St. Tankhouse.

Moderate body, carbonation is light and balanced.

A winner from Great Lakes. I'll definitely pick this one up again!

03-20-2010 20:48:28 | More by JohnnyBarman
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

On-tap at C'est What.

I've had a few cans of this before, mostly because I dig their follow-through with the whole 666 theme.

This beer appears a clear dark reddish amber hue, with one finger of soapy white head, which leaves some thin webbed lace around the glass. It smells of caramel malt, and earthy, weedy hops. The taste is sweet caramel malt, and somewhat acrid, piney hops. The carbonation is moderate, the body average in weight, with some thinning acidity, and it finishes with a ramp up of the hops, the soapy, piney flavours increasing noticeably.

This seems like a cross between a basic American and English IPA, hop-wise.

02-08-2010 05:15:13 | More by biboergosum
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -3%

Purchased as part of the OCB Discovery Pack #3. First one was pretty bad, so let's hope this one is better! Poured into a beer mug and I was immediately looking at the beer wondering what exactly made them call this a "pale" ale. It is deep and red with a decent head that left light lacing. The nose though disappoints, it smells lightly of bittering hops and malt, not much else going on there.

The beer though is nice. A little bitter and a little malty sweet. A pretty solid and straightforward red ale. I would drink this again if it was an option. The beer had average carbonation which caused it to pop in the mouth, creating a lighter feel than I would have expected from this dark an ale. In the end though the bitterness wins out and lasts on the palate. Sessionable if you wanted. A good drink.

01-29-2010 00:13:55 | More by kjyost
eat

Quebec (Canada)

This beer poured a lot darker than I was expecting. Seems too dark to be considered a pale ale; there's nothing pale about it. Translucent dark-amber bordering on brown. Nice covering of cream-coloured head. Some lacing.

Interesting smell. The sweetness from the malt and fruitiness from the hops combine to create the smell of guava, which I've never before encountered in a beer. Sweet, citrusy guava beer. This smells pretty good, though it could use some more presence.

Tropical and citrusy hops with a solid toasted malt backbone. I don't think I've ever tried a beer with a blend of hops like this. Strong, bitter aftertaste. I'd say there's enough hops to be considered an IPA. English though, not American. It certainly feels over 5% but is smooth enough; the alcohol bite seems to work with the flavours. It's definitely a little odd, but I'm into it.

Great medium body and moderate carbonation. Suits the taste just right.

I really like this! I wasn't expecting it to be nearly this good. I am usually a fan of strangely-unique malty pale ales though, and this one qualifies. I've never had a pale ale quite like this one. This is the kind of beer I could drink every day, I might have just found my go-to Ontario session beer. I will definitely be buying more of this. After many disappointments, this is one of the best Ontario beers I've tried since moving to Toronto.

01-26-2010 00:03:55 | More by eat
jhall00

Georgia

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

A- The beer pours a dark caramel colour with a medium sized head of foam that dissipated quickly

S- Malty and caramel

T- Nice malty caramel flavor with definite hops finish

M- beer with good carbonation and a medium mouthfeel

D- a very good drinkable beer

01-18-2010 00:32:59 | More by jhall00
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

473ml can poured into pint glass jan7 2010

A clear reddish bronze with a thick thumbs worth of head that fell quickly leaving only a few patches of lace

S quite nutty with some mellow hops and a fair bit of toffee

T again very nutty but I get lots of bread to go along with the hops and sweet caramels

M quite creamy even with low carbonation, a very smooth beer indeed

D went down pretty quick so that has to say something, I would drink this again if I could find it

I love the can this comes in, I don't worship the devil or anything like that but I'd drink his beer if given the chance. I gotta thank adil for shipping this one my way

01-08-2010 05:24:34 | More by wordemupg
OttoBomb

3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

473 ml. can poured into a 14 oz. Coca-Cola (tulip) glass (December 23, 2009). Received this in a collection of cans from my bother as a Christmas gift.

Eyes: Pours a very dark copper color, with just under one finger of head. Moderate to low lacing.

Nose: A nice strong malty aroma up front (dried fruit, grain), some grassy hops on the tail.

Tongue: A very nice toasted malt (caramel, molasses), flavor is quickly followed by a stronger hoppy bitter finish. The sweet fruit presence is covered a bit too quickly and forcibly by the bitterness (slight metallic). Not as balanced as I might like, but all in all quite nice. The 6.6 ABV is completely undetectable.

Mouth: The sight carbonation is perfect for this brew. It has a smooth medium feel, with the aforementioned bitterness dominating the palate after each sip.

Libation: It's quite a good ale, and the bitterness while sharp, does not overpower and distract from the drinkability. The 666 angle is interesting, but I just want something tasty and balanced. While it is tasty, the balance falls a bit short, but that's apparently what the brewers were aiming for. Not a sessionable offering, but I would go back if given the opportunity.

12-24-2009 04:20:22 | More by OttoBomb
ZorPrime

Quebec (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

Received from Bobsy in a recent trade.

A: Dark caramel color, almost brown. Creamy heads.
S: Malts, Caramel. Malt could be slightly roasted.
T: Caramel with a dry, bitter finish.
M: Medium body. Warm in the mouth which suggest the presence of alcohol.
D: Awesome session beer, this is what we should all have in our fridge for day to day!

11-24-2009 01:58:44 | More by ZorPrime
Seanstoppable

Nova Scotia (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%

I sampled this at a beer festival early this year and remember it standing out, mostly due to how strong it was. Recently, I received a can of it from some friends in Ontario and finally decided to pop it open.

There is nothing pale about this pale ale. Pours a dark mahogany with plenty of off-white head. Head is thick and very slow to evaporate. Tons of lacing left on the glass.

Muted malty scent.

Taste is strong, as I recall, and as labeled on the can itself. Sort of mellows out as you continue to drink. Some rawness is still there, but you also get your caramel malts, some earthiness, a lightly roasted feel, as well as a bit of bitterness at the end.

I don't know if it is because Devil's, but this hit me slightly faster than I expected it to. I could probably put back two or three of these, but after that I would definitely be done.

11-21-2009 20:49:34 | More by Seanstoppable
tpd975

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

This one came from grub.

A: Pours a nice dark amber hue with a nice creamy white head. Good retention and lace.

S: Muted aromas of caramel malt, toasted malt, and grass.

T: Malty up front caramel and roast mostly. Sharp bitter hops pop up in the middle and carry through the finish. Very grassy very herbal, borderline astringent.

M: Medium in body, nice carbonation, bitter finish.

D: Not too bad, overall a pretty good beer.

08-23-2009 16:33:52 | More by tpd975
SkinnyElvis

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%

More Ontario goodness in a can. Cheers to biegaman. Pours with a nice head. Not much smell. Thick and creamy. Nice malt taste. Mouthfeel is smooth. A drinkable brew. Good "gimmick" with the 666. I am not too familiar with the English pale ale style but this is pretty good.
Cheers.

07-31-2009 00:33:51 | More by SkinnyElvis
SingleCell

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured into a mug after warming out of the fridge for a few mins. 666 in all aspects of the brewing process described on the back of this 473ml can. BA has the ABV listed at 6.6% however Great Lakes lists it on the can as 6%.

A: Pours a dark clear amber with a full two inch off white head which slowly faded to a 1/2 inch and held its own for a while before disappearing to a thin wisp of head. Alright head retention.

S: Sweet caramel coming from the malts with some raw grassy hops. I'm going to be honest though, I had to really get my nose close to my mug and even the empty can to get any smell whatsoever. It's like the type of dulled down smell you get with some nitro beers... Anyways time to taste this beer!

T: Raw hops at the start middle and finish along with that sweet caramel from the malts. The hops provide that grassy earthy flavour. A bit of bready yeast in there as well which marrys well with a buscuit/grain flavour. Bitter hoppy finish.

M: Creamy yet sharp medium carbonation. Medium mouthfeel; its just slightly more viscous than normal for an English Pale Ale.

D: I get just a bit of alcohol in the finish yet for 6% ABV the alcohol is very well hidden. I'll say it's got just under good drinkability just because of the alcohol but other than that it's a pretty drinkable beer.

Good job on this devilish brew Great Lakes. I would buy this beer again.

07-24-2009 02:55:48 | More by SingleCell
seand

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear brown amber, with a few fingers of medium tan head. Retention is quite good, lacing is just decent.

S: Malty with some caramel, hops in the background.

T: Sweet up front, with a big hop bitterness following quickly. Quite bitter. Not my favorite hop flavor really, but done pretty well.

M: Pretty smooth, medium carbonation, a little bit of astringency and a lot of bitterness on the aftertaste.

D: Not too hard to drink, but the big bitterness gets in the way a little bit.

07-03-2009 20:31:10 | More by seand
Deuane

3.55/5  rDev -4.3%

Thanks to Slatetank for the hookup!

A-Deep copper with a medium light tan head that reduces to a thin cap and leaves spotty lace.

S-A boatload of caramel malt tinged with light fruit and a bit of spicy, piney hops.

T-Again a lot of caramel malt with a bit of toast malt in the back. Hops are firmly in the background element. Hops are a combination of spicy, piney and end with some cherry flavour.

M-Medium body and rather "full" feeling for a pale ale. Decent lingering bitterness. Certainly the best feature of this brew.

D-Not a bad beer but not my cup of beer. Too malty up front followed by a hop profile that I do not crave. Certainly not a dud....just not for me. I can drink the can but won't be seeking this out again. Glad to have the opportunity to try it!

07-01-2009 00:42:00 | More by Deuane
brushtachio

3.13/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from a 473 ml can. Hold on! The can says pale ale but this stuff is a copper color. Perhaps everything is a little darker in hell. Head is nice (the devil in me says, "why yes, it is quite nice") and fluffy like a mousse and stays around sacrificing bits of itself along the sides on my glass as I drink, perhaps as a reminder that the Teller of Lies is always among us. Ok taking it a bit too far, I know.

Smell is floral hops, caramel. Subtle but appropriate and quite nice.

The taste doesn't build on the smell. Just repeats it with slightly different emphasis. What first promises to be a balancing maltiness is crushed by some brutal bitterness. As my palate adjusts to the bitterness, a distinct diacetyl butteriness emerges and asserts itself more and more. Second half was much less enjoyable than the first.

Medium bodied. Some slight hop oiliness.

05-31-2009 20:41:08 | More by brushtachio
philipquarles

Connecticut

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%

500ml can. Pours a clear, darkly burnt copper with a creamy, light beige head Good retention and lacing. Smells of dark, toasty malt with just a hint of cocoa. Slight hop notes. The taste is rich and malty; dark and roasty and slightly bitter, without real notes of coffee or chocolate. Medium body with lowish carbonation. A pretty decent brown ale; certainly not a pale.

05-29-2009 02:27:08 | More by philipquarles
MeisterBurger

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a surprisingly dark mahogany color with a great billowy head. The froth sticks around and clings for dear life to the inside of the glass. Did I mention how dark this is? Odd. This is about the 24th time I have had this beer and I never seem to be surprised by the darkness.

Smell is malty caramel with subtle fruity hops.

The taste follows with a nice rich caramel/toffee malt, followed by some chalkiness, and a nice amount of grassy hops in the finish for balance. The sweetness of the aroma follows in the taste and the more I drink it the more I get a nutty hazelnut taste from it. Hmm. I'm kind of at odds here, because it's a good beer. But I think it's too malty for a pale ale and is more of a sort of hoppy brown ale.

A medium body with minimal carbonation left after a hard pour.

Yeah, this is a good sessionable beer with decent flavor.

05-13-2009 01:28:20 | More by MeisterBurger
Slatetank

3.6/5  rDev -3%

Thanks for the trade Grub - My 777th review. Shared w/ Tenderbranson69, poured into a willybecker chilled.

A - Deep copper w/ 2.5 finger rocky light tan head. The clarity is lightly hazed w/ spacious bubbles from a vigorous pour.

S - A pleasant aroma of fruit, english yeast and piny hops w/ a caramel malt note

M - A mild blend of light sweetness and hops which are more flavored w/ woody texture than bitter w/ a light sweet finish

T - Very good English pale flavor w/ fruity yeast and piney hops, the malt is slightly caramel w/ a nice toast element . the hops have mild herbal flavor.

D - A very good pale w/ malt slightly higher in the flavor appropriate to style, but the flavor are well balanced and the taste is very drinkable in the ale. Thanks for the trade Grub

05-10-2009 19:58:06 | More by Slatetank
beachbum1975

3.38/5  rDev -8.9%

Shared this one with DrewOSU on the back porch. Thanks go out to mjohnston for this in-person EXTRA from DLD '09.

Pours a surprisingly dark mahogany with a nice, thick off white head. Maybe instead of mahogany, I should say blood red.

Smells of orange, maybe light butter and light sweet, caramel malts. The nose is pretty light overall.

Malts are prominent on this one. I get traces of floral hops... High, prickly carbonation and this one finishes lightly bitter.

Nice, sessionable pale ale with no frills , despite the name.

05-03-2009 23:12:22 | More by beachbum1975
beerbuddah

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

Got this brew from the liquor store, in a can, poured into a pint glass. Simple can, good design, liked the 666 devil stuff.

A - deep, dark brown, some hints of red. Looks delicious. Nice head that recedes to a respectable layer after a bit. After a few sips, I notice that the lacing is quite good.

S - hoppy. some caramel smells coming through.

T - malty at first.Sweet hints of the caramel, and a bit of molasses throughout. The finish is hoppy, but not overpowering. It's a well balanced ale. A full flavor, the bitterness stays on the back of the tongue for a bit.

M - The beer feels good. Good amount of carbonation. As I said, a good well balanced ale is going to feel good, and the taste stays on the tongue - but not forever.

D - good. It's sessionable, the alcohol isn't particularly present.

Recently had a can of Fuller's London Pride, and I think this beer is far and away more superior. Will be picking this beer up again, love that it's a Canadian brew. Give it a try if you can pick it up.

03-31-2009 02:14:24 | More by beerbuddah
TheHammer

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance - Got this one courtesy of ludachris, thanks man. Came in a black can with three sixes on it and a whole bunch of 666 associations that have to do with the brewing of the beer. Anyways, the beer itself pours with a good thumb of head, and modesty retains and laces quite well. The beer itself is a dark brownish orange, that seems a bit cloudy to me.

Smell - This beer took a while to warm up for the smell to kick in, but when it did a lot of malt character with some fruity characteristics. I think I'm catching a bit of almond as well, but it did take some time to happen.

Taste - Definite mineral taste, throughout the experience which I'm not a fan of. Starts with a well balanced bitter and sweet malt taste, then shifts to a somewhat watered down fruit flavor and then ends with a solid kick of drier hops, which hits a bit too harshly and lingers a bit too long.

Mouthfeel - As I said, the bitterness at the end of the beer lingers for quite some time. The carbonation is exceptional, but the metallic and dry taste also leave something to be desired.

Drinkability - Well, this beer does refresh and doesn't cause any stomach issues. However, I wouldn't say it goes down that smoothly as that kick at the end really hamstrings it.

Final Thoughts - An interesting brew, although I don't think it's quite as good as it seems to have been made out to be. I suppose the brew is true to it's namesake. Like the devil, at first it starts tempting and pleasant, but once you sign on that dotted line and commit to a drink, you end up suffering at the very end. Good, not great, worth one try not much more.

03-30-2009 04:39:43 | More by TheHammer