Great Lakes Pumpkin Ale - Great Lakes Brewery

Great Lakes Brewery visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Pumpkin Ale |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

In our pursuit to bring you the most flavourful and unique beers possible, we are proud to release this tasty autumn ale. Handcrafted with an assortment of specialty malts and hops, we added a generous amount of pumpkin directly into the brew. Combine this with hints of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and allspice, and you've got a beer that you won't soon forget. Rich, satisfying and slightly spicy, our seasonal ale goes perfectly with your favourite dessert or traditional feast. But like fall, Pumpkin Ale comes but once a year!

(Beer added by: Viggo on 09-29-2007)
Mama-Kail

12-24-2012 02:32:03 | More by Mama-Kail
kelvarnsen

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%

01-03-2012 15:35:15 | More by kelvarnsen
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

2.55/5  rDev -27.8%

Bottle. Pale orange pour with thin white head. Good spicy aroma, cloves, cinnamon and definite pumpkin aromas. Taste is rather mild, still some candycane, spice and a very earthy kind of bitter finale. Watery mouthfeel. Not a fan of pumkins and rather hard to drink.

02-19-2010 17:01:43 | More by Luk13
allergictomacros

2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

A - Hmm... Orange under the cap is not pumpkin but rust. Bodes poorly? Pours a clear copper with copious off-white head. Kinda loose though.

S - Doesn't smell like much of anything. Kinda raisiny and a hint of pumpkin. Uh... hint of fish sauce. Warms up with some cinnamon and spiciness.

T - Slightly buttery with some apple and pear - harvesty yes, pumpkiny no.

M - Kinda chewy.

D - Alright I guess but I am underwhelmed by the lack of pumpkinyness
in this.

10-26-2007 03:39:06 | More by allergictomacros
JohnnyBarman

2.6/5  rDev -26.3%

Had this as part of a Pumpkin Ale tasting event. Poured into a nonic glass.

Light copper-golden, a thin, foamy head that recedes after a few moments. Some visible carbonbation.

Nose is pretty dull - pale malts, light hops, only a faint nutmeg, pumpkin scent that I could barely detect - others with me could not.

For a beer that markets itself as a pumpkin ale, where exactly is the pumpkin??? Unlike the noble jack o lantern, which features prominently on your front step or in your window, the pumpkin here chooses instead to hide in the back, only making rare visits as the beer warms up. The spicy flavor is not all that enjoyable either - more tinny and artificial. If this were a well made pale ale with subtle pumpkin notes, this could be excused, but sadly, it is not. Truth be told, I had trouble finishing it.

Mouthfeel is thin, carbonation provides a light sting.

I had been warned about this brew by a few friends, but I thought I'd give it a go, despite having developed a mistrust of Great Lakes LCBO offerings. Comparing this brew to others of the style, and it's not even close.

Poor effort, won't pick up again.

10-25-2010 16:30:45 | More by JohnnyBarman
CanuckRover

2.68/5  rDev -24.1%

My first pumpkin ale.

Good looking, halloweeny bottle. Pours, well, orange, or dark amberish if your picky, clear and visible carbonation.

Aroma may have ruined the whole experience for me. Unpleasant sour, macro-lager type smell. I was expecting to smell pumpkin pie, instead I was getting raw pumpkin pulp, not my thing.

In the taste, again I got a cheap lager impression which is not what I was expecting at all, kind of chalky. Bottle promises full flavoured ale with pumpkin, cloves, allspice and cinnamon... I got the cloves but where were the other spices? I was prepared for much more after reading reviews of big pumpkin pie beers. The pumpkin seemed subdued to me, more of a whiff in the finish than anything else. It seemed to me like the malt and the pumpkin just weren't complimentary, they didn't seem to work together. To me it tasted like a Keith's with some pumpkin in the mix.

Mouth feel was, again, not what I expected. I was looking for a big ale with some very mild carbonation. Instead I found it surprisingly thin and carbonated.

Now, as I said, this is the first pumpkin ale I've ever had so maybe I've misunderstood the style. I was expecting a full-flavoured, pumpkin pie spice experience, instead I found a thin beer with a little bit of pumpkin and cloves and not much else. Reading the other reviews, I'll give this one another shot and try some more examples of the style. As it is, I'm not impressed with this one.

10-24-2007 00:12:48 | More by CanuckRover
Wordslinger

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

05-06-2012 08:10:54 | More by Wordslinger
mdaschaf

Washington

2.9/5  rDev -17.8%

Thanks to korguy123 for this one! Poured from a bomber into an Evolution pint glass

A: Pours a clear light orange, lighter than others in this style I have had. Nice one finger head that dissolves into a layer of white bubbles on top of the beer. No lacing.

S: I get some of the typical spices here, but relatively weak. Also get a hint of alcohol.

T:Not much, a little bit of vanilla, a little bit of spice. Dry finish.

M/D: Thinner than expected. Overall not great, on of the weakest pumpkins I have had so far. A pass.

10-26-2010 01:07:33 | More by mdaschaf
Damian74Shensky

South Carolina

12-07-2012 15:34:12 | More by Damian74Shensky
korguy123

3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

Bomber into DFH Signature Glass.
Part of the Halloween release at the LCBO.

A- Clear rich amber pour, Carbonation is surprisingly light. Two finger white head, lacing is good.

S- Pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg. All smells are quite subtle and muted. Very bland as far as pumpkin beers go.

T- Spices and pumpkin almost non-existent. Brown sugar, vanilla with a slight bitter aftertaste.

M- Thin feeling slight carbonation bite.

D- Good, but one bomber is enough for me.

Overall little disappointed in this one. Was expecting more of a pumpkin smell and taste from this one. First year for pumpkin beers, and first year for this one and I have to say this is the weakest out of all the ones I've tried so far.

09-28-2010 15:46:23 | More by korguy123
tbeckett

3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

A - Pours bright. Orange to dark golden in colour with no head and mild carbonation.

S - Spices. Lot's of cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin spice. There is a little pumpkin too but the spices dominate for the most part.

T - Spices dominate again. Mild pumpkin with lingering baking spice.

M - Light with little carbonation.

D - Good but not my thing. Too much spice, not enough pumpkin for a pumpkin beer.

11-09-2010 15:49:22 | More by tbeckett
MeisterBurger

3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

It's nitpicking, I'll admit, but I think the orange foil on the cap has the opposite effect of that intended. It doesn't elevate it or add a modicum of elegance, it makes it seem like it's trying to be something it's not. This has a cheesy font and retarded looking baby-faced jack-o'-lantern on it for crying out loud. It'll take more than a bit of tin foil to make that look classy.

Pours a clear, orange-hued golden color with a decent amount of head, a decent amount of retention, and the same could be said about the lacing. Decent. It looks a lot like their Orange Peel Ale, from what I recall.

It smells like faint malt and hops and faint pumpkin pie spice. Very grassy. It has that new carved pumpkin smell.

The taste is about the same, with a very generic, slightly grainy ale with a grassy hop up against a melange of pumpkin pie spices--nutmeg and clove chief amongst them. It's...tangy. The finish has a slightly unpleasant vegetable aspect to it, likely from the pumpkin?

My chief complaint with this beer is the lack of malt sweetness which I think would offset all of the spice and grassiness better. With a sweeter malt, a pinch more spice, and a higher ABV this could be a decadent cold weather warmer. As it is I find myself wanting. Really. Go big or go home. As it is it's an okayish slightly pumpkiny ale almost more suitable for warm weather.

The mouthfeel is kind of thin and lacking.

Conclusion: Needs more malt.

09-25-2009 01:31:56 | More by MeisterBurger
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

Not sure where the "double" in the name comes from, my bottle just says Pumpkin Ale. 650ml bomber poured into a pint glass, sent out by pootz. Thanks buddy!

Pours a crystal-clear light copper colour with a healthy inch of head, some wet lace and medium-high carbonation. Nose is full of sweet malty aroma with tons of spice. I'm mostly getting cloves and allspice, with the cinnamon and nutmeg coming in right after. The whole mix is just a little bubblegum-like.

Taste is much lighter than I was expecting. A bit of zip from the spices, especially the cinnamon. The rest of the flavour comes off a little cheap as the malt profile is extremely generic with hints of veggie. Nothing to report in the way of hops in here besides a light herbal quality. There's a mineral flavour in here as well, which is somewhat welcome. Medium bodied and a bit creamy, cinnamon burns the tongue a bit but isn't really very dry at all. This is drinkable but a bit boring. I'm looking for more of a balls out beer to celebrate Halloween with.

11-01-2007 02:49:05 | More by trevorwideman
thirstybrother

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Very nice golden with a touch of amber, or pumpkin. Good head, not much lacing.

S: Maybe my nose is stuffed? No hints of the spices they speak of on the bottle. Maybe some pumpkin, but maybe just because I'm looking for it.

T: This beer isn't terrible, but the pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg really seem to be lacking. There are hints, HINTS, of them in the aftertaste, but I shouldn't have to concentrate this hard to find them.

M: Kind of steely. Again, it isn't terrible, but it definitely does not scream pumpkin ale, more like a pale ale with subtle spicy notes.

O: I had this beer last year and recall being very impressed with the spicy/pumpkin flavours. I shared it with a non-craft-beer crowd and they liked it. Guess I should have reviewed it then. I can give GLB the benefit of the doubt, maybe this batch was a rough one. We'll see next year.

09-21-2011 00:15:34 | More by thirstybrother
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

3.18/5  rDev -9.9%

It is smack between Thanksgiving and Hallowe'en, and lo and behold, a pumpkin beer at LC. Who would thunk it? May as well give this style a shot...

A: Nothing special here. An amber brew, clear as day, with a fizzy white head that recedes and does not lace. May as well be a pale ale...

S: Intriguing. Light cinnamon and nutmeg with a hint of pumpkin underneath it all. Some sweetness later comes into play.

T: Served around 6-8C, and the beer can be best described as muted. Low malt character, no real breadiness in the beer. The spices are there, but just barely. If the body matched the nose it would be better. Too light on every aspect of the taste. Later in a few mouthfuls I think "yup, there's the pumpkin" but by that time I am getting a nasty lingering aftertaste...

(EDIT: Interestingly I left a glass out for 1 hour and it really came around giving a strong taste of roasted pumpkin, but the aftertaste still lingered)

M/D: Easy drinking, actually quite crisp and finishes dry. Could easily have been a poorly made pale ale save the notes of cinnamon and nutmeg that sometimes come about.

10-17-2010 00:08:56 | More by kjyost
heebes

3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Welcoming in the fall season.
Pours a light gold colour, some head which dissipates quickly. Good amount of carbonation.
The nose is strong, I could smell the beer upon opening. A spice aroma is dominant. Cinnamon and pumpkin also present.
The taste is a little weak, tasting more like an ale than any sort of major flavoured specialty beer. It's a bit sour to begin with the light pumpkin and spice flavour lingering.
Again, light mouthfeel. Watery texture, a little underwealming.
Overall this is a rather average take on the pumpkin ale. I would have preferred a more flavourful and upfront spice taste. For whats available at this point in ON though, it's a great change of pace!

09-26-2010 17:56:40 | More by heebes
biegaman

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

A neon carrot pigmentation that - especially given the shape of this glass - aptly draws resemblance to a pumpkin. Its tinge is too deep to permit transparency but its complexion is both very clean and clear. A circle of fluffy white traces well defined boundaries around the perimeters but leaves the center bare and outstretched.

For once I actually smell a lot of pumpkin coming out of the aroma of a pumpkin ale. I realize the vegetable (err, fruit) itself doesn't impart much flavour, but there's enough of it in this bouquet that conjures memories of cutting the top from the pumpkin and then pulling out the seeds. It also kind of has that same scent that follows in the days after Halloween, when it comes time to take the pumpkin out for compost.

Alas, there is plenty of spice too (relatively speaking). Alongside the actual pumpkin, Great Lakes reveal the recipe to also include: allspice, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg. None of these ingredients are a dead stand-out to my nose. Despite being spicy, I still would have honestly had a tough time confidently identifying any of them outright.

It'd be dishonest of me to say the flavour couldn't use a few more pinches of spice as well. I'm not the biggest fan of overly perfumy beers, but beyond the spice this ale offers little to nothing. The actual issue, however, is with the terrible lack of a good malt base. More malt would greatly improve this beer, all in terms of taste, texture, and body.

I have real problems with the mouthfeel as well. For one, the beer hasn't any body. It is completely flat and this utter lack of carbonation (and lack of bitterness) leaves spices out of check to linger astringently. It is both soapy and metallic. The flavours are stale and off-putting. The aftertaste is drying and leaves a cottony feel in the mouth.

I commend Great Lakes for being a brewery that tries to be experimental and offer new and creative things, especially in this local market. When I first tried their Pumpkin Ale, on cask at the Volo Cask Days 2007, I thought it to be wonderful. Tonight's sample, however, was far from it. Whatever my opinion, there's undoubtedly room to improve for next year's batch.

10-30-2008 02:25:17 | More by biegaman
shamus

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

We found rust (or is that pumpkin guts) under the cap too. Is this left over from last year I wonder? Not a lot of head. Nothing interesting to smell. tastes like someone dipped a slice of pie in a sleemans ale and let it marinate over night. That being said I am enjoying it. It's definitely a novelty beer. I have had better pumpkin ale before. However this will do for now.

10-28-2007 19:27:06 | More by shamus
TheBeeraholic

06-16-2013 14:14:46 | More by TheBeeraholic
evil_liver

05-07-2014 04:30:51 | More by evil_liver
PEIBeerGuy

Prince Edward Island (Canada)

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

It pours a clear amber / deep honey colour. Lots of head which dimples and drops at a medium pace, leaving some lacing.

It has a sweet smell, similar to some raspberry wheat ales I've had. A bit of the cinnamon or clove also comes out.

Pretty good taste - a bit of that sharpness or sweetness that I get from some fruit ales or beers with yeast still in the bottle. At first, it tastes like a fairly normal ale, perhaps a bit too fruity for my liking. The middle part of each sip is where the pumpkin comes out, but it's more raw pumpkin / "warmed-up Jack-o-lantern" than it is pumpkin pie, which I expected / was hoping for. The end of each sip, and afterwards, is when the spice comes out. It's the best part of each taste.

It feels OK in the mouth... not too watery; fizzy. But not overly.

As for drinkability, it's alright. One 650ml bottle is enough.

01-24-2010 20:27:56 | More by PEIBeerGuy
eat

Quebec (Canada)

3.28/5  rDev -7.1%

Slightly cloudy body is a dark, pumpkin-like orange colour. The head dissipates to a very thin covering of off-white. No lacing. Nice colour for a pumpkin ale.

Faint pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove) and subtle, vegetal pumpkin, adding a certain creaminess. Caramel malt and light, spicy hops. Pretty weak on the nose.

Not much of the pumpkin or spices are coming through. It reminds me quite a bit of the taste letdown with their Miami Weiss; all the flavours here need to be amplified. Pretty much all I'm getting is a light malt character along with an earthy hop bitterness. Some grain on the finish. The spices are only present enough to make you wonder if they're even there at all. Everything here is much too far over to the cautious side of things. I wouldn't say it's too well balanced either; I could use more malt here. I'm thinking they missed the mark on this one. Not even close to enough pumpkin character.

I think I'd prefer the feel a little creamier but it's not too bad. Medium-high carbonation. More drying than you would expect at this level of bitterness.

It is drinkable. No off flavours and it does go down pretty easily in spite of it's boringness. The only thing holding it back is the drying finish, it's a little too much. If the bottle didn't say Pumpkin Ale, I'm not sure if I would think it was one. I know that pumpkin pie spice isn't something you want to overdo in a beer but for my taste the spices are way underdone. Glad I only picked up one of these, I won't be buying it again.

02-09-2011 05:36:22 | More by eat
Seanstoppable

Nova Scotia (Canada)

3.28/5  rDev -7.1%

Dropped off recently by friends from Ontario. They got to sample the local pumpkin ale, I got to try this one in exchange.

Opening the bottle results in an outpour of foam. Pouring into the glass results in a slightly hazy muted orange color with 3 fingers of white head. Head slowly evaporates and is still a full finger after a few minutes. Plenty of lacing left down the glass.

No real pumpkin scent There is some faint touches of nutmeg and cinnamon though.

Very faint pumpkin taste. Nutmeg and cinnamon are still apparent, though not strong. A bit of a malt taste in the back. Very mild overall. Some of the spice lingers in your mouth a while.

For something labeled as "a beer that you won't soon forget" I am actually somewhat disappointed with the flavor. More of a mild ale with some pumpkin and spice rather than a flavorful pumpkin ale.

Overall it is pretty smooth and not bad, but it isn't what I would expect from a pumpkin ale.

11-05-2009 21:55:38 | More by Seanstoppable
crwills

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%

OK, I confess. I just don't like pumpkin ales. I try them for the sake of trying them, but there's something about the spices in them that I can't tolerate for some reason. With that in mind...

This one was decent. Looks nice (deep, orangey gold with a big bubbly white head). Smells nice -- I have no problem with the smell of these ales, I just don't like the taste -- lots of the usual spices, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, although very little pumpkin. Some pumpkin-like notes in the flavour, although, again, the artificial spices dominate. Solid mouthfeel, although I felt the carbonation emphasized the spices a little too much.

I've got one more bottle to drink, which I may share out at Christmas or trade.

12-02-2007 17:51:07 | More by crwills
CAMRAhardliner

3.3/5  rDev -6.5%

Nice silk screened bomber with thick orange foil on the neck.

The pour reveals a slightly hazy orange liquid with slow moving large carbonation bubbles abounding. The head is flash in the pan shortlived and only leaves moderate lacing behind. A strong all spice, nutmeg aroma fills my nostrils upon first sniff. Spices really dominate the nose. The flavor follows suit with lots of powdery nutmeg and other phenolic flavors mixing with cinnamon and other spices. Some vegetal, fiberous flavor is there too, Im guessing this is the pumpkin meat added. Malt is very restrained in the back, providing just some sweetness. Hops are essentially MIA. The mouthfeel is full bodied and cloying with sweet spices. The finish is herbal, like my grandmother's spice cabinet.

This is a decent pumpkin ale, though a little unbalanced. Some more malt depth and hop flavors would go a long way to counter the wall of spices.

10-26-2007 03:37:13 | More by CAMRAhardliner