Great Lakes Green Tea Ale - Great Lakes Brewery

Great Lakes Brewery visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

In our pursuit to bring you the most flavourful and unique beers possible, we are proud to release this tasty spring ale. Handcrafted with specialty malts and hops, we added carefully selected Organic Gunpowder Green Tea and fresh Ontario grown ginseng directly into the brew. Like green leaves sprouting, this beer boasts a refreshing and slightly herbal flavour that pairs well with lobster, pad thai, spring rolls or sesame chicken.

(Beer added by: Viggo on 03-04-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

3.15/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to wfeddern for sending me this in CanBIF 5.

From a 650 ml brown bottle, small green foil around cap and top of neck. I'm a big green tea fan, so I'm curious to find out how they pulled this off. Pours out a hazed and transluscent deep golden hue, tall frothy and creamy white head. Intermittent patches of sticky lacing.

A deep biscuity malt on the nose, with the exception of the tea and ginseng this is obviously an all-malt lager. Slight earthiness from the ginseng.

The base malt is what pops out first, a great bready profile. While the tea is present as a mild green spicy flavour, and the ginseng adds its expected earthy and woody character, being the most prominent flavour on the finish and into the aftertaste.

A medium bodied mouthfeel, a much fuller texture than most lagers have which is a nice surprise, however light in carbonation therefore feels thin on the finish, although this does not detract from it.

I feel that the green tea or the ginseng doesn't really add to this lager. It's still palatable, and I commend Great Lakes for their experimental spirit, yet I'd be satisfied with the bare base lager without the addition of the herbs.

05-11-2009 07:14:36 | More by IronDjinn
NightINgale

Russian Federation

4.63/5  rDev +43.3%

A: The body is cloudy, of orange/straw colour. The off-white head is foamy and has nice retention. The lacing is quite impressive, too.

S: A sweet fruity, moderately hoppy aroma, with notes of pear, apple, ginger, and caramel malts.

T: A unique taste. Starts out sweet, with a lovely pear/apple fruitiness going into a more dry, hoppy green tea flavour. The finish is very balanced, with some lingering green tea notes. Overall, an exceptional complexity for such a light ale!

M: Medium-bodied, surprisingly full for a 4.2% beer.

D: Very easy-drinking and refreshing. The bomber bottle took no time to be drunk. A very impressive seasonal brew! Strongly recommended!

05-05-2009 18:41:14 | More by NightINgale
CAMRAhardliner

2.93/5  rDev -9.3%

I like the silk screened label and green thick foil on the neck of the bottle. GLB have some of the best packaging in Canada.

The pour reveals a pale peach colored liquid topped with a patchy, smallish head. Trails and patches of lace cling to the glass in abundance. The aroma is mildly herbal and malty with a whole wheat, grainy character and a definite diacytel tang. The taste is better, corn flakes, ginger, very faint green tea, fuggles hops and fruity tartness all shows up. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a harsh but not tremendously active carbonation. The finish is bitter for a short bit, then sweetish and herbal.

An OK beer, but a little too sweet and uneventful. Maybe more hops, green tea and malt girth is needed, or maybe green tea beer is just not my thing.

04-22-2009 02:15:10 | More by CAMRAhardliner
Sammy

2.58/5  rDev -20.1%

I like green tea, though without ginsing, but I was not crazy about this concoction. It smelled cheesy-beery, appearance was passable though light with foaming white head. A tad below average mouthfeel. Not very drinkable.Green tea was the dominant taste, but could not distinguish from harsher beer taste, not well integrated.

04-17-2009 04:01:02 | More by Sammy
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

3.9/5  rDev +20.7%

I like green tea, but I hate green tea iced tea & green tea ice cream... so I really didn't have high expectations here. Strangely, I was really pleasantly surprised!

A: Hazy, dirty straw with a white head, some retention, nice lacing.

S: Candied ginger, some fruity esters and hints of green tea.

T: Slightly herbal & spicy with a faint sweetness (fairly balanced bitterness). The green tea isn't overdone, and I'm not sure I'd pick it out without knowing, but it definitely stimulates the umami taste buds. Balanced & interesting.

M: Light to moderate body is smooth and it actually seems a little bigger than it is.

D: Quite drinkable.

I've wondered about getting an Umami taste into a beer, and this one has it! It'd certainly pair well with Thai or Japanese cuisine.

04-15-2009 00:14:12 | More by Derek
bobsy

3.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours an unfiltered hybrid between orange and gold, with a sticky bone white head that leaves lacing in sheets and lasts the distance. Creamy, malty aroma puts me in the mind of a steam beer, and this isn't dispelled when I get to tasting it. Great Lakes seem to use something very reminiscent of a steam beer as its base. Now I'm not implying this was the process used, but that this is the flavour achieved. Appended to this is a subtle spicy hit of ginseng in the finish, but no green tea. Its a bit of a head scratcher, and a pretty pedestrian one at that. My second pour of the bomber into my 330 ml glass reveals more interest though. No sediment can be observed, but the flavour suggest much of the green tea is resting in the bottom half of the bottle. Strong green tea permeates through the beer, providing a drying bitterness in the finish, and a leafy herbal freshness throughout. Its certainly more unique than I first thought and reminded me of the bottles of cold green tea I purchased in Japan. The mouthfeel is soft with gentle, but steady carbonation caressing the palate.

Its a very well done beer, but I'm not sure I like it. The steam base seems to jive well enough the tea, but by the end of the bomber I've had my fill. This is the problem I've had with green tea - its a drink for moderation, not for splitting over a pint and a bit of liquid. Still, I can't fault Great Lakes for putting this out.

04-14-2009 14:24:32 | More by bobsy
biegaman

3.23/5  rDev 0%

Blades of wheat with a smidgen of kumquat. The head is glinty and soapy but continues to diminish less and less in time. The blurring haze (which should be expected from a beer brewed with tea) implies it is not filtered, or at least not heavily. I reckon that's a good thing; how much flavour can green tea and ginseng impart, anyhow? Let's find out!

Well, so far nothing. There is a very faint hint of lime or perhaps some grassiness. It certainly isn't anything I couldn't find in the average pale ale (or lager for that matter). Just a thought: you know what would work well in a green tea, herbal flavoured beer? Green, herbal smelling hops! Anyhow, it seems the volume here isn't just turned down - it's on mute.

If you're going to advertise an interesting sounding beer then you best make sure the beer itself actually tastes interesting - or at very least like the unique ingredients used in making it. I wasn't anticipating the green tea to contribute much flavour, and ginseng I had no idea what to expect, but the lack of either has raised an eyebrow. Never mind the tea itself, there's little even generally herbal about this.

To their credit, the brewers were spot on in asserting this would pair well with typical Asian fare. At only 4.2% it's exactly the right kind of blandish, light-bodied refresher you'd want along side some spicy noodles or sesame chicken. The carbonation is high enough to work well with greasier items on the menu, spring rolls among other things. I'd assume a little Thai food (or Chinese, Vietnamese, etc) would compliment the experience.

I appreciate Great Lakes' constant attempts at brewing creative beers. Their seasonal offerings have quickly become a point of anticipation for many in the province. Sadly, however, they've yet to ever be very good. This is another respectable sounding attempt at something different that turns out to be shamelessly like everything else on the market.

*Note to Great Lakes Brewing: In the future, please don't advertise a beer as being something unique unless it actually is. It may be an effective way of selling the essentially same pale ale again and again but it's unappreciated by those of us who actually pay the money to try something different in such a painfully bland market.

04-07-2009 03:43:22 | More by biegaman
ThatWineGuy

3.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Reviewed again July 2/10, brewed May 2010; found to be much better all around on this occasion. Generous beige head starts at three fingers and sticks around, foamy lace with good retention. Hazy orange hue, very lively carbonation on opening.

Taste is dominated by an astringency that weighs in heavily, as one might find in green tea. Lemon-lime flavours jump out at you with flashes of sour fruit. Heightened carbonation imparts a cleansing, refreshing mouthfeel, although the finish is a bit too dry. I have to say I've not a clue how ginseng might taste so I can't say if it comes through or not but there is an herbal feel. This is a good attempt at a curious beer although I found the finish a bit sharp and dull on the pallete.

As indicated on the label, this would go fine with pad thai or similar asian dishes, also would contribute nicely on a hot summer day where some sticky bbq sauces are featured. Thanks to Great Lakes for coming out with products like these, curiosities worth a try and just make a great conversation piece around the patio too.

review 04-07-09

Light orange, tangerine hue, murky. Fleeting off white head, wispy surface, ring, minor lace, lazy carbonation soon went flat. The taste very reminscent of cold tea, not necessarily green tea, astringent bite. Herbal nose reminds me of chamomile or peppermint, not overly pronounced with an earthy musky odour. This is an interesting take on blending green tea and ale, kudos for the brewery for trying it out, but it doesn't quite "click" for me, I think I'll keep those separate from here on in.

04-07-2009 03:21:08 | More by ThatWineGuy
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.18/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle: Poured a light hazy yellow color ale with a large pure white foamy head with good retention and some good lacing. Aroma of light green tea with some other Asian spices (ginseng, coriander...). Taste is also a well balance mix between lightly sweet malt with some medium notes of green tea. I was expecting the green tea to be more dominant but still very enjoyable. Very well done for what was intended.

03-30-2009 01:02:55 | More by Phyl21ca
GodOfBeer

3.53/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours light hazy golden colour with a foamy white head that stays for a while and leaves lots of lacing.

Doesn't smell like much, definately ginseng, maybe some green tea, very hard to tell though.

Decent tasting beer, citrusy, herby, a bit of green tea, almost like iced tea, and definately ginseng, starts to taste like red bull or some energy drink after a while(which I don't mind).

This is a nice refreshing beer for a hot day, but it lacks complexity..

03-21-2009 17:22:40 | More by GodOfBeer
allergictomacros

3.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Lightly hazed gold with an inch or so of tight white foam. Aroma is light, but definitely tea and ginseng, as advertised. Malt backdrop is light and there's a bit of a citrus/orange as well. Drier than I expected, with some acid up front and a herbal flavour although I wouldn't pick out tea specifically. Somewhat earthy/chalky with a mild hop. Slightly astringent and light body with a strong carbonation.

03-19-2009 00:44:19 | More by allergictomacros
Ralphus

3.05/5  rDev -5.6%

As mentioned before, Great Lakes does have a very good seasonal program. Their pumpkin, winter and orange peel ales are all an attractive bunch and something to look forward to. This one though is a bit of mixed bag.

It starts off quite well. The pour is a very deep golden colour that's pleasant to look at. The head is white and foamy in the beginning but dissipates to a small blanket at the top. Initially the smell is dominated by grassy notes but as you drink more of it the smell starts to resemble the taste - and that's a fairly reasonable blend of beer and slightly bitter green tea. Constant throughout is the light smell and taste of butterscotch or microwave popcorn however. Many people find it's overwhelming to the point that they can't finish their beer. I didn't think it was that strong. And I had no trouble finishing off my bottle.

Mouthfeel is fine and drinkability rates as average. Seasonals rarely get put away in numbers.

03-18-2009 21:32:45 | More by Ralphus
cratez

2.55/5  rDev -21.1%

Well, like many Ontario craft beers in retail stores today, this one disappoints. I decided to try it because the other brews from Great Lakes - 666, Winter, Pumpkin - range from good to great. Not the case with their Green Tea Ale. In fact, I am truly puzzled as to why GL is making this beer. It baffles me how a respectable craft brewer can create such a mediocre product, approve it for retail, and then hype it up with a release party to pretend like it doesn't suck. Anyhow, on with the review...

Appearance: cloudy off-yellow body with a foamy half-inch head and lots of fine lacing. Very promising.

Smell: tea leaves and a musty cheddar/popcorn/spice aroma that I can't put my finger on. I'm assuming it's the mix of malt and ginseng. Either way it smells unpleasant and ruins the beer in my opinion.

Taste: green tea, misplaced bitterness, wheaty malt, and a watery aftertaste. Yawn.

Mouthfeel: smooth and creamy upfront, nicely carbonated in the body, and dryly malted in the finish. Definitely the strongest aspect of this beer. It's a shame that this looks and feels like a craft beer but smells and tastes like crap.

Drinkability: I couldn't get past the smell on this beer and, as a result, I didn't finish it. My expectations were high given the quality of GL's other beers, but alas I was underwhelmed. They certainly deserve points for originality - the Green Tea twist is something different. However, the style is poorly executed here.

I'm increasingly realizing that Ontario craft brewers don't seem to "get it" when it comes to making bold, distinct, and enjoyable beers that consumers actually want. Hopefully a barrage of bad reviews will inspire GL to go back to the drawing board and produce something noteworthy.

03-17-2009 16:01:08 | More by cratez
Viggo

3.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Reviewed from the new 22 oz bottle offering of this, I've had it on tap before. Too bad their beer isn't as good as their labeling.

Pours a clear light orange, some amber/golden hues, thin and fizzy white head forms, big bubbles, quickly settles down to a very thin ring and layer around the glass, some decent chunks of lacing stick to the glass. Smell is strange, some sweet maltiness, caramel and grains, dry herbal ginseng spiciness, a bit of matcha like green tea quality, some fruitiness near the end, pears and apricots, slightly interesting aroma. Taste is neat, lots of tea character, bitter and herbal grains and tea quality, touch of vanilla, vegetal, wheat, some light sweetness like orange peel, very dry and some solid bitterness in the finish, like a strong cup of green tea. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation, some warmth going down which doesn't sit right when it's a 4.2% beer. Decent beer, not very interesting though. I give Great Lakes credit for doing some unique beers, but that doesn't mean much to me if they aren't done well.

03-04-2009 00:42:21 | More by Viggo