Great Lakes Green Tea Ale - Great Lakes Brewery

Ontario, Canada

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Viggo on 03-04-2009

In our pursuit to bring you the most flavourful and unique beers possible, we are proud to release this tasty spring ale. Handcrafted with specialty malts and hops, we added carefully selected Organic Gunpowder Green Tea and fresh Ontario grown ginseng directly into the brew. Like green leaves sprouting, this beer boasts a refreshing and slightly herbal flavour that pairs well with lobster, pad thai, spring rolls or sesame chicken.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.54/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Well, like many Ontario craft beers in retail stores today, this one disappoints. I decided to try it because the other brews from Great Lakes - 666, Winter, Pumpkin - range from good to great. Not the case with their Green Tea Ale. In fact, I am truly puzzled as to why GL is making this beer. It baffles me how a respectable craft brewer can create such a mediocre product, approve it for retail, and then hype it up with a release party to pretend like it doesn't suck. Anyhow, on with the review...

Appearance: cloudy off-yellow body with a foamy half-inch head and lots of fine lacing. Very promising.

Smell: tea leaves and a musty cheddar/popcorn/spice aroma that I can't put my finger on. I'm assuming it's the mix of malt and ginseng. Either way it smells unpleasant and ruins the beer in my opinion.

Taste: green tea, misplaced bitterness, wheaty malt, and a watery aftertaste. Yawn.

Mouthfeel: smooth and creamy upfront, nicely carbonated in the body, and dryly malted in the finish. Definitely the strongest aspect of this beer. It's a shame that this looks and feels like a craft beer but smells and tastes like crap.

Drinkability: I couldn't get past the smell on this beer and, as a result, I didn't finish it. My expectations were high given the quality of GL's other beers, but alas I was underwhelmed. They certainly deserve points for originality - the Green Tea twist is something different. However, the style is poorly executed here.

I'm increasingly realizing that Ontario craft brewers don't seem to "get it" when it comes to making bold, distinct, and enjoyable beers that consumers actually want. Hopefully a barrage of bad reviews will inspire GL to go back to the drawing board and produce something noteworthy.

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Reviewed from the new 22 oz bottle offering of this, I've had it on tap before. Too bad their beer isn't as good as their labeling.

Pours a clear light orange, some amber/golden hues, thin and fizzy white head forms, big bubbles, quickly settles down to a very thin ring and layer around the glass, some decent chunks of lacing stick to the glass. Smell is strange, some sweet maltiness, caramel and grains, dry herbal ginseng spiciness, a bit of matcha like green tea quality, some fruitiness near the end, pears and apricots, slightly interesting aroma. Taste is neat, lots of tea character, bitter and herbal grains and tea quality, touch of vanilla, vegetal, wheat, some light sweetness like orange peel, very dry and some solid bitterness in the finish, like a strong cup of green tea. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation, some warmth going down which doesn't sit right when it's a 4.2% beer. Decent beer, not very interesting though. I give Great Lakes credit for doing some unique beers, but that doesn't mean much to me if they aren't done well.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last