1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rheingold Beer - Rheingold Brewing Co.

Rheingold BeerRheingold Beer

poor

awful

Rheingold Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed by Lion Brewery

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-16-2002)
View: Beers (0) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rheingold Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 70 | Reviews: 54 | Show All Ratings:
jadpsu

Georgia

2.7/5  rDev +2.7%

Rheingold jingle from the 50-60's
My beer is Rheingold the dry beer
Think of it whenever you buy beer
Its refreshing not sweet
Its the extra dry treat
Won't you try extra dry Rheingold beer?
My dad who was not much of a beer drinker had a rotating staple of Rheingold, Schaeffer and Schlitz. Did not know that it was still being brewed under the Rheingold label
But I digress!

Poured a pale straw yellow with a tight small bubble white head. Head had average retention and left some decent side glass lace.
Aroma: Not much there. Slight cold metal smell and some earthy tones, and some distant lemon, nothing offensive.
Taste, not sure what I am getting here. Like the ad says "not sweet" and it is quite dry just does not deliver much taste.
Overall not a great brew but I would rate it (apparently) better than most.

12-01-2012 00:27:11 | More by jadpsu
riversider76

3.38/5  rDev +28.5%

Pours a clear golden with a thin white head. Not much retention, and very little lace. Nose is weak. Some hints of grain, and yeast. Body is light and carbonated. Taste is light grain, and malts. Crisp, refreshing. Sweetness in the finish. This would be a decent session beer in my opinion. espicaly inb the Summer.

08-19-2012 18:38:01 | More by riversider76
RheinSchaefer85

My Beer is Rheingold the Dry Beer . Indeed it is Dry with a slight Sweet Taste to it. I'm glad they brought back this Beer because its a good Cheap Beer. I know some people don't like Rheingold but everyone has there own taste. Its a great Summer Beer and Winter Beer too.

02-27-2012 00:09:44 | More by RheinSchaefer85
depechemode1983

2.08/5  rDev -20.9%

A - Medium gold with a slight haze. No head. No lacing.

S - Mostly corn with a trace amount of grains. Bland.

T - Just like the smell. Light and almost tasteless. Taste like a light beer.

M - The mouth feel is about right. Average. High carbonation kinda sharp feeling to it. Not too bad though.

O - This is a below average AAL. I would rather drink Bud Light over this. I bought this because I was in a rush and for some reason this looked like a Czech Pilsener. Which would have been ok. I would never buy this beer again. What a waste of 7 dollars.

01-28-2012 18:29:13 | More by depechemode1983
puboflyons

New Hampshire

2.78/5  rDev +5.7%

From can no. 00311-1550-DK. I am actually old enough to have tried the original Rheinghold Extra Dry. This is not that. I am not going to bash it like so many others. It is a typical American Pale Lager with a straw yellow pour although little carbonation.The aroma is full of grain, malts, cereal, sugar, but a slight hop hint around the edges. The taste is pretty average with creamy grainy sweetness and hops, although it does not end dry like the original. I mean it is no worse than many of its counterparts.

11-19-2011 23:43:26 | More by puboflyons
sixerofelixir

2.93/5  rDev +11.4%

12 oz can. Julian date on bottom of can. Old school-as-all-get-out design. Simple and easy to read.. but it's not brewed in New York?

Pours a stunningly clear, lite, piss-golden yellow. A white head soon retreats. Smell is mineral and cereal grain and corn. Some faint hoppiness. Smells and tastes like a bowl of corn flakes with a few teaspoons of sugar added. Finishes dry and short and sticky. I couldn't drink this all night, but it's certainly not the worst adjunct out there.

* Sidenote: I picked up a 12 pack of cans on sale for $6.99 with a $5.00 mail-in rebate. So, my final price will be $1.99 (+ tax).. @ 21 cents/can. That alone makes it taste a bit better!

10-28-2011 06:01:19 | More by sixerofelixir
projectflam86

2.6/5  rDev -1.1%

12oz CAN.

A- Pours a clear straw yellow color with a thin white head that fades away to a thin ring.

S- Cereal and corn with no noticeable hop aromas.

T- Similar to the nose but there is a strange spiciness in the finish. Could just be the coarse grain flavor. Pretty average taste amongst the other "retro lagers".

M- Soapy and thin with low carbonation.

O- Wish I wouldn't have bought a whole 12pk. Although it was only $7.99 so what did I expect?

10-20-2011 20:27:28 | More by projectflam86
soju6

Missouri

2.4/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a pale yellow color with a small head that fades quickly and bits of lacing.

S: Aroma of grain, a bit musty not much else.

T: Mild flavor of malt sweetness and some bitterness.

F: Light body a bit watery. No character.

O: Not one I will seek out in the future. Not all Retro beers bring back fond memories.

10-01-2011 19:24:30 | More by soju6
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

2.3/5  rDev -12.5%

Rheingold Lager Beer has a thin-to-medium white head and a clear, straw appearance, with little lacing or head retention. The aroma is faint, but one picks up corn husk and an odd chemical sweetness. Taste is a mix of indistinguishable grains, gum resin, industrial matter, peculiar sweetness, and almost no hop spiciness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Rheingold finishes crisp, dry, and rough, to some extent. Overall, this is an unrefined, cheap, low-quality beer. It shows what can happen with frequent ownership changes, coupled with an indifference to quality. At best, I rate this low average.

RJT

09-29-2011 21:13:08 | More by RonaldTheriot
CaptJackHarkness

2.4/5  rDev -8.7%

Proof the expression " you can't go home again" is true! This used to be brewed in The Bronx and Brooklyn, it was truly a new York institution.I used to drink it regularly until they took it off the market in the 70's.

( I also remember the Miss Rheingold ads as a kid!)

This is a very bland brew, dark, reminescent of the color of urine. No head to speak of, no lacing. The flavor is grainy (corn?) no finess!

Drink water instead!

09-15-2011 20:16:26 | More by CaptJackHarkness
ElCommodoro

2.8/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured a light golden brown. A head never formed, which I found very very peculiar. Not sure why that is.
The smell was pretty bad. It smelled like really nasty adjuncty beer.
The taste was a pretty big surprise following the smell. It had none. No taste. OK, maybe I could taste a hint of cheap graininess on the finish, but it is incredibly devoid of taste. Has a carbonated water mouthfeel. I am impressed at how little taste this has. It doesn't seem possible. Nothing good about this and nothing offensive either. It's the ultimate in bland.

09-12-2011 06:47:32 | More by ElCommodoro
twiggamortis420

2.88/5  rDev +9.5%

12 oz can brewed in Wilkes-Barre PA as opposed to Connecticut. Further complicating matters is the phrase "New York - Est 1883" on the front, lol. Picked up a 12-pack for golf the other day and had a few leftover. Enjoyed it on the course, so lets see how it does now. Pours a crystal clear yellow color with a fizzy white head, nothing surprising there.

Nose is grainy malt, corn and light alcohol. A bit fruity for a lagerbier. Does not smell very appetizing, even for an AAL.

Taste is very light, watery even. I cant believe this is 5%, it tastes more like 3. The body is so light and crisp, it makes it pretty bearable really. The fruitiness is very mild on the flavor but still noticeable, which is not really all that surprising considering there is so little malt and even less hops. Not bad, I might even buy it again...for golfing purposes only of course.

07-23-2011 00:57:05 | More by twiggamortis420
alankwak

2.05/5  rDev -22.1%

A: Light yellow and with lame head retention and lacing. Medium/high carbonation.

S: Little hop or malt odor.

T: Like like a weak, watery adjunct lager.

M: Water like.

O: Seems like a cheap attempt at a adjunct lager. Very poor. This kind of beer has given American beers it's bad name. Pass on it.

07-16-2011 16:54:50 | More by alankwak
briancroz12

Connecticut

3.75/5  rDev +42.6%

Picked up a 12 pack at my local store for the recurring "poor/pour night" that my friends and I have when we're short on funds. I had actually not seen any Rheingold around CT in all my travels, and yet it's supposedly brewed here? Hmm, I guess I'm still learning something new every day.

It's an adjunct, so what else can one expect but a pale, straw color with varying amounts of head in the glass. It smells "adjunct", which I'm sure you guys understand by this point. It's light, and I'm definately noticing cereal grains and generic lager yeasts. Whatever though, I didn't buy this because I wanted a pleasant aroma in my pint glass.

Keeping the style in perspective like we should all be doing, this is actually a pretty solid adjunct. Rheingold was very crisp and refreshing on this stiflingly humid New England Memorial Day. It's very dry, and although you taste barley first and minimal malts and hops in the foreground, it gets the job done. The carbination level is also pretty high here, but didn't you hopefully expect that?

Look, is it a GREAT beer? Absolutely not. Is it a solid, go-to adjunct when the situation unfortunately calls for it? Hell yes. I've been slowly trying to build myself a "Top 5" list for every style of beer I've tried, and Rheingold easily finds itself near the top of this lackluster category. Is being the best adjunct lager like being the tallest kid in third grade? Well... yes. But it should count for something.

06-24-2011 01:22:52 | More by briancroz12
Ralphs66

There is a restaurant in Purdys NY called the Blazer Pub...some of the best burgers in the NY Tri-state area, and a regular stop for me. Well, recently they decided to go retro and are now offering, in cans, Schaefer, Ballantine, Rheingold and Schlitz....with PBR on tap. Whether you like these beers or not, the concept tickled my fancy and I decided to make my way through the list; revisiting some of the beers of my youth. None of them are great; in fact most of them are poor in comparison to the Captain Lawrence offerings that the Blazer also has on tap. But you know what? They were like an old friend, a blankie that I could hold at the bar and not feel self conscious about. Yes, I drank them all proudly and chances are, I will again. The one problem I had with the Rheingold was that the new ownership of the brand updated the can....what's up with that?!!?!

06-10-2011 12:29:25 | More by Ralphs66
ktrillionaire

1.78/5  rDev -32.3%

A - It pours a fizzy straw yellow with a small white film of bubbles atop.

S - The nose is a bad mix of metallic notes and an impression of canned green beans.

T - The taste is more akin to mushy peas, as it is heavily vegetal. This is pretty bad.

M - Thin and fizzy and a bit slick.

O - This is close to the bottom of the barrel; a fairly incompetent effort.

06-04-2011 08:52:49 | More by ktrillionaire
bluejacket74

2.95/5  rDev +12.2%

12 ounce bottle, I think I picked this up from the cooler at Party Source. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear pale gold color with a half inch white head that went away quickly. There's a very small amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is corn, bready and sweet malt, and a bit of grassy hops. Taste is pretty much like the aroma, but there isn't any hop flavor that I notice. There aren't any offensive flavors or aromas. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's crisp and would be refreshing on a hot day. It's not hard to drink at all. For the style, it's not a bad brew. I wouldn't buy a 6 pack of this, but buying a single bottle of it wasn't bad. I wouldn't turn one down if someone gave it to me either.

05-28-2011 00:29:09 | More by bluejacket74
WVbeergeek

3.53/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tastes like every other fizzy yellow lager out of Wilkes Barre, a faint yellow stra color with a fine white head with thin speckled lacing. Aroma has hints of cooked veggies with a slight mineral character. Flavor again pale malts offer a slight sweetness with minimal hops this is basically a classic retro beer redone by Lion Brewery. Really smooth even sweetness flows from front to back with a nice carbonation, moderate grassiness goes down to easy. Overall a nice easy going retro lager, that I will try again especially in bottle format.

05-19-2011 22:18:46 | More by WVbeergeek
keeganfrank

2.6/5  rDev -1.1%

Yellow-brown beer with a fizzy head that dissolves right away. Smells like yeast, fruit and grain. Initial tart, musty flavor followed by dry grains and sugary vegetables. Average drinkability. Actually becomes a little more palatable as it warms. Not something I'd buy again, which is a shame because I really like the label.

05-19-2011 18:50:22 | More by keeganfrank
PapillonJohn

2.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Consumed on 5/16/2011
I could not find a born on date on the can.

I have been enjoying my times drinking and reviewing can beers, so onward.

Appearance: Poured only one into a glass, very pale, clear, piss yellow color.

Smell: Very fruity malts, fruit such apple and pear, corn and a bit of stale hops.

Taste: You know, it's not too bad. Pretty fruity, a little used up hops and very dry. I'm feeling it. Very fruity, slight alcohol aftertaste, lingers with a fruity taste for quite a bit.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated just right it seems. Leaves a very drying effect on the tongue after you swallow.

Overall, not too much to say about it. I've had better, i've had worse. Would I get it again? Sure why not? But there are others that are cheaper that taste just about the same.

Really, I'm a fan of it, i'm a fan of all "dry" beers. I may look into keeping this one on rotation from time to time.

05-16-2011 20:38:18 | More by PapillonJohn
WakeandBake

2.75/5  rDev +4.6%

A clear golden color pour with a small fizzy white head , medium carbonation . Aroma is light with a basic faint fruity aroma of lemongrass and dry grain. Flavor is also light and slightly fruity , noticeable hop and pale malt notes , light body , thin mouthfeel crisp clean finish with very little after taste . A good try but nothing very flavorful .

03-24-2011 22:31:49 | More by WakeandBake
ColdPoncho

1.45/5  rDev -44.9%

Bought this for the Wagner connection. Hopefully I can find Siegfried, Walküre and Götterdämmerung beers too.

A - damn this looks bad. Very pale and light and translucent yellow with some green hints. The clarity is nice, but the color stinks. Theres no head, really. A thin ring of white bubbles and a big patch in the middle, lots of bubbles floating up. I don't know, I don't think this looks very good.

S - It smells kinda like peanut butter. tangy pale malts. A very light smell that's not too good and not too interesting.

T - Crap this is disgusting. Dirty straw, rotten apples. I guess there's probably more to it, but it's not really worth it to consider what those flavors are. I really think this is the worst tasting beer that isn't a gimmick that I've ever had. I can't actually believe how this tastes. How can companies like this one actually exist?

M - light, but medium-bodied. This part actually isn't terrible.

D - Worst tasting beer ever? Not gonna have great drinkability.

03-09-2011 03:27:06 | More by ColdPoncho
elgiacomo

Georgia

2.42/5  rDev -8%

12oz canned Nov 8, 2010.

Pours golden yellow with some light sediment in suspension, one finger fizzy white head that quickly recedes to a wispy cap and ring only leaving a spot or two of lacing behind.

Aroma is standard adjunct lager fare, sweet grain, corn, some bread and a touch of grass. Low to moderate strength (although I doubt many will be pouring this beer in a glass).

Flavor is corn, grain, a touch metallic, a bit sweet at first but finishes quite dry and watery.

Mouthfeel is thin and light, medium carbonation.

Decent enough adjunct lager, would be an OK lawnmower beer but I think I'd still take PBR for less money in this category.

01-23-2011 02:04:51 | More by elgiacomo
BDIMike

2.68/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a very light yellow color, completely clear. There is a good amount of fizz, but it creates a thin white head that goes away almost immediately.
Aroma is a light smell of wheat. There is not much more than a faint wheat smell.
Taste is pretty regular. It has a fairly nice fresh wheat taste, but then there is not much more of a taste after that.
Mouthfeel is pretty good. For the style of beer you want a good crisp, refreshing bit to the sip and this delivers that.
Drinkability is good on this beer. It is definitely a beer that you want to buy cheap and drink a lot of them. I like the old school aspect of the beer, but it makes me somewhat sad that I didn't live in the area in which this beer was king!

12-07-2010 01:54:03 | More by BDIMike
woodychandler

2.3/5  rDev -12.5%

Nothing like a head and chest cold to take The CANQuest (TM) out of commission for an extended period. Coupled with my adult-onset asthma, I was barely able to work there for a few days. I'm back now and thanks to my homie, Tone77, I am looking at some CANs that I was not even aware of prior to his drop-off Friday night. CAN you dig it?

From the CAN: "New York * Est 1883", but under the name, it reads "Registered Trademark", which generally means that the TM is the only thing that remains from the original recipe. Look at JoeyBeerBelly's review if you think that I am kidding. Hell, this says that it came out of Wilkes-Barre, PA! Who's zoomin' who here? Pheh!,as the late Myron Cope would have uttered.

I had forgotten how much I love the auditory nature of The CANQuest (TM) with its beginning Crack & Glug. I did get an initial finger of bone-white head that fizzled like soda pop and disappeared. The color was a fabulous golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity, like sunshine in a glass. Nose reminded me that some things never change - a light lager sweetness overlain by cereal graininess. I am not sure that I could tell one from another in a blind taste test, but I CAN sure as heck tell one when I smell it. Mouthfeel was mighty thin, watery really, with little carbonation and a mild sweetness on the tongue. This was staright out of Ho-Humville. Finish was equally unimpressive in its blandness. Why bother?

10-17-2010 14:09:08 | More by woodychandler
Rheingold Beer from Rheingold Brewing Co.