Rheingold Beer - Rheingold Brewing Co.

Rheingold BeerRheingold Beer

poor

awful

Rheingold Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Brewed by Lion Brewery

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-16-2002)
Reviews by Ralphs66:
Ralphs66

There is a restaurant in Purdys NY called the Blazer Pub...some of the best burgers in the NY Tri-state area, and a regular stop for me. Well, recently they decided to go retro and are now offering, in cans, Schaefer, Ballantine, Rheingold and Schlitz....with PBR on tap. Whether you like these beers or not, the concept tickled my fancy and I decided to make my way through the list; revisiting some of the beers of my youth. None of them are great; in fact most of them are poor in comparison to the Captain Lawrence offerings that the Blazer also has on tap. But you know what? They were like an old friend, a blankie that I could hold at the bar and not feel self conscious about. Yes, I drank them all proudly and chances are, I will again. The one problem I had with the Rheingold was that the new ownership of the brand updated the can....what's up with that?!!?!

06-10-2011 12:29:25 | More by Ralphs66
BK2084

3.5/5  rDev +33.1%

08-25-2012 03:12:59 | More by BK2084
Jason

2.08/5  rDev -20.9%

Presentation: 12 oz can with no freshness date and no info that they are only a beer marketing company that does not actually brew their own beer.

Appearance: The head retention is pretty bad, only a ring is left after pouring … oddly this brew is a bit darker than I thought it would have been. I pictured it to be a very pale yellow though it is actually a weathered golden hue.

Smell: Typical monotone macro beer aroma, little malt to be found and hops are non-existent.

Taste: The bothersome crispness flaunts an unneeded dextrin filled moderate body which draws a slickness to the palate. Hops are belittled with just a smidge of bitterness to balance things with the roughness of the grain.

Notes: What is this beer? It seems to be a Schlitz / PBR wannabe. The CEO of the company states “We’re not all about choice hops or a fancy bottle. Rheingold is friends, music, the wee hours and enjoying a good cold beer. Look for us when you want to make it a little more fun, a little louder and a little later. “That pretty much tells me that they could care less about the quality of the beer and they just want to sell a boat load of cold beer.

Guess what, we don’t need your beer in Boston we already have a great following with PBR & Schlitz needless to say that we have a ton of craft beer in the area as well. So please stop sending this beer to Boston. Perhaps if it was not $8 a 12 pack I’d think differently being that you can get Schlitz & PBR for $5-6 a 12 pack.

04-09-2004 01:49:08 | More by Jason
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.53/5  rDev +34.2%

Tastes like every other fizzy yellow lager out of Wilkes Barre, a faint yellow stra color with a fine white head with thin speckled lacing. Aroma has hints of cooked veggies with a slight mineral character. Flavor again pale malts offer a slight sweetness with minimal hops this is basically a classic retro beer redone by Lion Brewery. Really smooth even sweetness flows from front to back with a nice carbonation, moderate grassiness goes down to easy. Overall a nice easy going retro lager, that I will try again especially in bottle format.

05-19-2011 22:18:46 | More by WVbeergeek
melodicnoise

1.5/5  rDev -43%

01-08-2012 04:09:32 | More by melodicnoise
BrewMaven

3.05/5  rDev +16%

Last weeks nostalgic Fight Night choice poured clear gold with a white head that settled down to a thin sheet after a minute or so. Very effervescent with a crisp light mouthfeel. Taste was what I consider grassy, corny and dare I say metallic? With a slight hop finish. Another that I would say is best when really cold and you're really hot.

06-12-2005 19:59:14 | More by BrewMaven
beerluvr

Ontario (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev +42.6%

Nice to see this brand revived and the recipe tweaked. Pours with a snow-white head settling over clear golden liquid. Nose is ordinary malt, with a little hop aroma. Taste is nice, light-bodied, some malt sweetness followed by a pleasant hoppiness, though in no way overpowering. A good dry finish wraps things up nicely. A well-made, nicely priced lager...good for those hot Summer days.

06-16-2002 13:46:08 | More by beerluvr
Stingray5

3.1/5  rDev +17.9%

Had this one outdoors on a hot summer day. Poured a light gold with a short lived white head. Hops and sweet corn in the aroma. Surprisingly good mouthful.Taste was better than typical macro-swill, but still some adjunct flavors and a ever so slight skunkiness. Hints of Corona if you will. Given the midday heat, though, I found it quite refreshing and drinkable.

07-06-2003 18:15:42 | More by Stingray5
tone77

2.88/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some notes of corn. Taste is also very mild, some grains, almost like a light beer, fairly bland. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall there is nothing special about this beer.

10-03-2010 15:36:11 | More by tone77
puboflyons

New Hampshire

2.78/5  rDev +5.7%

From can no. 00311-1550-DK. I am actually old enough to have tried the original Rheinghold Extra Dry. This is not that. I am not going to bash it like so many others. It is a typical American Pale Lager with a straw yellow pour although little carbonation.The aroma is full of grain, malts, cereal, sugar, but a slight hop hint around the edges. The taste is pretty average with creamy grainy sweetness and hops, although it does not end dry like the original. I mean it is no worse than many of its counterparts.

11-19-2011 23:43:26 | More by puboflyons
alittlehazy

Kansas

3.53/5  rDev +34.2%

This was $9.99 for a flat, and the vintage look cans were too much to pass up on, so we went for it.

Appearance is plain, bubbly gold color. A hint of malty smell in my glass. Mouthfeel is nice, almost fizzy carbonation and the taste is better than I would have thought. Finishes dry with a bitterish malt taste in my mouth.

This would make a good session beer as it is pretty crispy light and goes down super smooth with no macroswill bitterness or bad taste.

I'd buy it again. Perfect for a college budget.

02-20-2003 16:44:25 | More by alittlehazy
bluejacket74

2.95/5  rDev +12.2%

12 ounce bottle, I think I picked this up from the cooler at Party Source. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear pale gold color with a half inch white head that went away quickly. There's a very small amount of lacing left on the glass. Aroma is corn, bready and sweet malt, and a bit of grassy hops. Taste is pretty much like the aroma, but there isn't any hop flavor that I notice. There aren't any offensive flavors or aromas. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's crisp and would be refreshing on a hot day. It's not hard to drink at all. For the style, it's not a bad brew. I wouldn't buy a 6 pack of this, but buying a single bottle of it wasn't bad. I wouldn't turn one down if someone gave it to me either.

05-28-2011 00:29:09 | More by bluejacket74
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

2.3/5  rDev -12.5%

Rheingold Lager Beer has a thin-to-medium white head and a clear, straw appearance, with little lacing or head retention. The aroma is faint, but one picks up corn husk and an odd chemical sweetness. Taste is a mix of indistinguishable grains, gum resin, industrial matter, peculiar sweetness, and almost no hop spiciness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Rheingold finishes crisp, dry, and rough, to some extent. Overall, this is an unrefined, cheap, low-quality beer. It shows what can happen with frequent ownership changes, coupled with an indifference to quality. At best, I rate this low average.

RJT

09-29-2011 21:13:08 | More by RonaldTheriot
StevieW

3.35/5  rDev +27.4%

12 oz clear bottle. Retro looking white label silkscreened on the bottle. Pours a deep shiny golden color with a foamy white head. The head fades fast, but does leave some lacing on the inside of the glass. Has a certain harsh metallic smell to start, but that fades quickly and a more appealing traditional beer smell erupts. The first taste was bit harsh again with the metallic taste. It too subsides and a very bready, sweet corn on the cob, and lager tastes come through. Slick and sweaty feel, but a little swirling stirs up the carbonation. I would classify it as dry, sweetness lingers IMO. But an easy to drink, traditional lager. Pleasantly surprised.

07-31-2003 00:49:36 | More by StevieW
bultrey

2.85/5  rDev +8.4%

This drinks like Corona, but with more body. The yellow color in a clear bottle fails to impress, as does the sweet corny aroma. The adjuncts are not nearly as offensive in the taste as they are in Corona, but the same sweet malt/corn profile is there, with perhaps just the slightest bit more floral hops bittering. There is just a bit more body to this, and it doesn't leave you with that awful astringent mouthfeel that many adjunct beers do. Drinkability is OK -- a perfect beer for getting drunk with a group of non-BA buddies and not feeling too ashamed about it. If skunked in the slightest, as is inevitable with the clear bottle, this would take a major nosedive.

03-16-2005 17:19:07 | More by bultrey
BuckSpin

Maine

2.23/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured a warm gold in color with a classic 1/2" white head with no cling - the stereotypical beer look. Nose was light, what nose there was. Any taste at all is on the tongue, maybe a hint of hops, then it dissolves into nothingness with a watery finish. The nicest part of the beer is the clear bottle with screened classic logo, although you wonder if that clear glass hurts more than helps.

Would probably be good with cheap munhcies like a hot dog or no frills pizza. Unless someone hands me one and there is nothing else to choose from, I won't be trying this again.

04-12-2005 02:03:14 | More by BuckSpin
twiggamortis420

2.88/5  rDev +9.5%

12 oz can brewed in Wilkes-Barre PA as opposed to Connecticut. Further complicating matters is the phrase "New York - Est 1883" on the front, lol. Picked up a 12-pack for golf the other day and had a few leftover. Enjoyed it on the course, so lets see how it does now. Pours a crystal clear yellow color with a fizzy white head, nothing surprising there.

Nose is grainy malt, corn and light alcohol. A bit fruity for a lagerbier. Does not smell very appetizing, even for an AAL.

Taste is very light, watery even. I cant believe this is 5%, it tastes more like 3. The body is so light and crisp, it makes it pretty bearable really. The fruitiness is very mild on the flavor but still noticeable, which is not really all that surprising considering there is so little malt and even less hops. Not bad, I might even buy it again...for golfing purposes only of course.

07-23-2011 00:57:05 | More by twiggamortis420
lehows

2.03/5  rDev -22.8%

This beer has been around for over a hundred years but was bought by a new company a few years ago who started marketing it like crazy. Maybe it was good a hundred years ago. You see a lot of this in trendy Brooklyn bars being toted by midwest-expats. It's pour sorta looks like Duffs beer from the Simpsons, the stereotypical beer look. The head fizzles pathetically though to a small white ring. Almost no nose to speak of. I'd rather drink a Bud than this. PASS.

11-30-2006 21:33:35 | More by lehows
RheinSchaefer85

My Beer is Rheingold the Dry Beer . Indeed it is Dry with a slight Sweet Taste to it. I'm glad they brought back this Beer because its a good Cheap Beer. I know some people don't like Rheingold but everyone has there own taste. Its a great Summer Beer and Winter Beer too.

02-27-2012 00:09:44 | More by RheinSchaefer85
Reidrover

Oregon

3.55/5  rDev +35%

Saw this in my local "cheap" grocery store..was only $1.99 a sixer of cans so what the heck..thought I would try it out.
Comes in the old style basic red and white can..no frills here!
Pours a lite golden colour with a massive head ( I had it in a semi-frozen mug).
Nice malty smell about it..some fruitiness also , surprisingly good for the cheapest beer I could see.
Taste is actually very very good for a macro cheapo lager..sweetness is not too overpowering and i can tatse the malt quite well..mmm pleasant to drink this cold.
Average macro feel in the mouth..
Very drinkable beer this cold..nice
I actually enjoyed this cheapo..nice bang for the buck..will buy again for camping , BBQ etc thats if i ever see it again..
The grocery store buys consignments one month so the few beers they get change.

03-04-2003 18:04:59 | More by Reidrover
sandflier

2.5/5  rDev -4.9%

05-07-2012 19:32:48 | More by sandflier
woodychandler

2.3/5  rDev -12.5%

Nothing like a head and chest cold to take The CANQuest (TM) out of commission for an extended period. Coupled with my adult-onset asthma, I was barely able to work there for a few days. I'm back now and thanks to my homie, Tone77, I am looking at some CANs that I was not even aware of prior to his drop-off Friday night. CAN you dig it?

From the CAN: "New York * Est 1883", but under the name, it reads "Registered Trademark", which generally means that the TM is the only thing that remains from the original recipe. Look at JoeyBeerBelly's review if you think that I am kidding. Hell, this says that it came out of Wilkes-Barre, PA! Who's zoomin' who here? Pheh!,as the late Myron Cope would have uttered.

I had forgotten how much I love the auditory nature of The CANQuest (TM) with its beginning Crack & Glug. I did get an initial finger of bone-white head that fizzled like soda pop and disappeared. The color was a fabulous golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity, like sunshine in a glass. Nose reminded me that some things never change - a light lager sweetness overlain by cereal graininess. I am not sure that I could tell one from another in a blind taste test, but I CAN sure as heck tell one when I smell it. Mouthfeel was mighty thin, watery really, with little carbonation and a mild sweetness on the tongue. This was staright out of Ho-Humville. Finish was equally unimpressive in its blandness. Why bother?

10-17-2010 14:09:08 | More by woodychandler
beep71

1.25/5  rDev -52.5%

I bought a case of this on a whim because I recognized the famous name, and was victimized again by PA's archaic beer sales laws. Now I have 3/4 of a case of bad beer taking up space in my fridge, instead of maybe 3 or 4 beers.. After being poured into a pint glass, it provided a thin head that disappeared quickly.. Very little carbonation. Very watery, with no discernible flavors other than a slightly sweet taste on the back of the tongue. I am regretting buying this beer.

09-25-2010 03:17:48 | More by beep71
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.63/5  rDev 0%

Pours a two-fingered, pure white head that settles quickly but leaves some lace. Light bodied and light carbonation. Clear golden color. Hoppy nose - sort of. Good mix of malt and hops but nothing pronounced - good lawnmower beer. 12oz bottle 75¢ from Hoosick St. Disc. Bev. Troy, NY.

09-16-2004 22:47:20 | More by jdhilt
rdtbhockey

12-01-2012 01:09:51 | More by rdtbhockey
Rheingold Beer from Rheingold Brewing Co.