Velas Helles - Smoky Mountain Brewery & Restaurant

Velas HellesVelas Helles

Smoky Mountain Brewery & Restaurant visit their website
Tennessee, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-06-2003)
Reviews by Greasy:

3.48/5  rDev +6.4%

Came out a clear, pale yellow with a slight head and medium carbonation visible.

The nose was sweet with floral notes. You can definitely catch the hops.

The taste was smooth and sweet. It almost tastes like a white grape juice, in my opinion. For a lighter beer I would say it was quite flavorful. I would take this over any main stream light beer any day.

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

3.88/5  rDev +18.7%

Almost inch thick creamy like head. Tastes very similar to the German style beers that it is modeled after. Great lacing, looked like spider webs down the sides of the glass. Appearance was golden yellow. Didn't bother to smell it. Mouthfeel is how I believe a beer should be. Very drinkable, let's just say I had more than one. The bartender gave me a shot of Cherokee Red after I told him how bad it was when I tryed it, still tasted like shit.

2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Sampled on tap at the Brewgrass festival in Asheville, North Carolina. Consumed on 09/20/2008 and reviewed from notes taken at the time.

The pour was ok, a light straw colored lager was the first thing noticed. Very clear with a nice amount of carbonation. This converged into a decent sized head of white that faded nearly immediately upon forming.

The aroma was light, very light, to be honest almost non existent at times. After warming it came around a little showing some decent grain and bread like malt tones and a touch of some light earthy hops. The flavor was more of the same, with the key word here being very light in the profile especially. Decent body on top of a mostly grain profile, with more then adequate carbonation making up the bulk of this. Easy to drink I will have to admit, though the flavor was a bit too thin for me at times, it was still more then decent overall.

Overall not a bad little lager, though the subtleties were severely lacking it was still fairly decent. I would see no issue with throwing this down on a hot day, though I am sure there are much better lagers out there for sure. I am not really sure what to take away from this one as it is a hard style to really having any different in but I still feel even given that this is barely above average in any regard.

2.05/5  rDev -37.3%

Pours the color of any BMC. Might as well be Bud, Coors, Miller, PBR, or the Beast in my glass. No head, no lacing.
Smells of buttery corn
I really don't see how you could call this any other style, other than American Marco Lager. It's your pretty much run of the mill BMC beer. Taste is of corn and rice.
Very light bodied and watery.
So far this is the worst that I have tried from Smokey Mountain Brewery. It could be a lawn mower beer. But, if that's what you want why not go to the local grocery and get the cheapest Macro in cans.

2.17/5  rDev -33.6%

First know that my previous review was extremely positive...B+ I think.

I had to come back and review this beer because SOMETHING HAS HAPPENED....either I got a bad keg or this one has really gone downhill in that past 2 years.... one or the other...

unlike the last growler this was VERY flat....
the last one had less of a copper hue...
this one was VERY winey and overly sweet
the last one was crisp and refreshing and virtually no strong alcohol bite to the flavor..
the last one was one of the better Hellas styles I'd ever had....
this one was flat out TERRIBLE!

NOw...I would have dismissed it and not written another review if it weren't for the fact that I filled this sucker AT THE BREWERY!!! OUT OF THE BAR KEG!!! so there were NO excuses!

Next time I go back I'll revisit a pint just to see if it was a bad keg or if this thing has truly fallen off the 'good beer' map....

note to brewer
Marty,
I always enjoyed my trips to Gatlinburg... Playing a game of Adam's Family Pinball and picking up a growler of your Hellas were two of the biggest reasons...
take it from someone who's drank alot of your beer.... the last growler was embarassing.
Before I buy another I'll have to taste it first. Here's to hoping something just 'went wrong'.

3.65/5  rDev +11.6%

Not a bad tasting brew at all here. It purs a Heineken-esque golden colour with a frothy head. The appearance wasn't what I expected and needless to say, was average at best.

The smell was slightly sweet and hoppy but had some grass notes to it as well. Again, pretty basic stuff here.

The flavour is very much in line with the smell, but more pronounced and enjoyable: hop, grass and some juiciness intermingle nicely throughout. The mouthfeel was right on with carbonation levels as they should be.

This one was fairly enjoyable, though not great, overall. Fix the appearance and smell a bit first (i.e. make them bolder) and they may be on to something here.

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

3.38/5  rDev +3.4%

Perhaps the least personality of the beers I've had from this brewery. Very mild, with some malt caramel flavors. Hopping was modest, but the overall flavor profile was fresh and clean. Nothing wrong with this beer, it just really does not distinguish itself in any way.

2.2/5  rDev -32.7%

Light gold in appearance, very clear. The Smell lacks in any detectable aromas. The mouthfeel is crisp on the way in and then it is done. Taste is very uneventful and lacks any true charateristic, disappointing. Overall we have found this lacking in any real beer flavor.

1.13/5  rDev -65.4%

Thanks to hopdog for this...
Appears a hazy light gold. Some scattered, white lace.
Smell is of buttered rotton corn and other skank ass vegetables.
Taste is of sour creamed corn...blech!!!
Mouthfeel is of rancid, gross, sour malt that isn't impressing me in the least. In fact...it's sour and plain out gross!
F this brew! I hate it!!!

Poured from bottle into my Sweetwater Blue pint glass.

A- Fizzy yellow beer with minimal head, that did manage to leave lacing along sides of glass.

S- Mild malts with hints of hops

T- Mild malt and grain flavor, maybe a a slight tart finish

M- Light body with fair carbonation

D- I would say its about like a typical mainstream domestic lager beer, but slightly better than most. Its not my favorite style, I was impressed with the porter that Smoky Mountain Brewery made and took a bottle of this home as well just to try. I think its a good beer for those that don't stray far from the Miller Lite and Coors kind of beers.

2.42/5  rDev -26%

Update 8/17/04: Wow! This brewery has gone steadily downhill over the past few years. Velas Helles was once a tasty, spot-on domestic Helles, but my last sample had a perceptible amount of diacetyl. Yuck!! Not undrinkable...but I can do better with my homebrews.

A straw colored, extremely clear brew with a densely knit white head that shrinks to 1/4 inch and leaves some lace. The smell consists of a pleasant graininess along with some herbal Saaz and/or Hallertau hops. The taste is slightly dominated by candy-like sweet malt but the hops appear nicely in support. The mouthfeel is a bit creamy yet light at the same time. Not quite as full-bodied as it could be, but I'm being nitpicky. It is billed as a "Light German Style Lager". The finish is very clean and the drinkability is dangerous. Prosit!!
The visage of Smoky Mtn.'s brewmaster, Marty Velas, appears on the label appropriately in traditional German garb. I guess if you're gonna put your name and face on the label, you're gonna make sure it's one tasty brew.

2.9/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a very pale yellow with small white head that falls way to quick. Aroma is light some malt some grassy hops not much going on here. Taste is a little more maltier then their pilsner maybe a touch more hops also but overall just as soon have the Thunder Road not much diffrence between the two. Mouthfeel is light and drinkability is ok goes down quick and is refreshing. This brewery is making their stuff to appeal to Bud drinkers. None of their beers are very taste intensive made not to offend anyone I guess.

3.38/5  rDev +3.4%

Had this as part of the sampler. Sample of 5.5 oz I thought was enough to review. Has a lighter than normal color for a Helles and little to no head with no lacing. The taste was good with a nice malt character to it..some biscuit with a bit of a nutty taste also. Hops were very underwhelming but left a bit of citrus finish.

Overall it's a good beer and certainly better than any macro you could get a hold of but nothing special

Velas Helles from Smoky Mountain Brewery & Restaurant