Kalik - Commonwealth Brewery Ltd.

KalikKalik

Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-18-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 288 | Reviews: 126
1.23/5  rDev -53.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Tastes like sulfur, horrid stuff

Pours a clear golden color with white head. Cereal grains and not much else on the nose; follows onto the palate. Finishes kind of dirty.

3.44/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found this out here on Roatan. It's actually pretty interesting compared to the usual offerings that are available on the island. It has a light body with a surprising hoppy kick that makes it really refreshing on these hot days.

1.5/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Gross beer, worse then keystone

1.71/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Just tastes like another light beer

1.93/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

It's kalik. It's the Bahamas. It's not what I'd have at home

4.07/5  rDev +53.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

very refreshing in the hot weather

3.25/5  rDev +22.6%

A good local Nassau brew. Not overly memorable, but good to enjoy in the warmth of the Bahamas

3.35/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Very average Caribbean lager. Nothing special. But not bad.

Just another adjunct lager, slightly skunked because of clear glass bottle. But hey it's the Bahamas

Pours very pale gold, almost no color. Some white foam. Corn like aroma. Light. Sweet bitter taste, creamy. Low carbonation. Residual sweetness. Better options on the islands.

2.17/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

From a bottle, pours a light golden color with a fizzy off-white head.

The nose is skunky, a little musty, corn and wheat. The flavor is what I would expect from a pale lager in that part of the world. Simple, a bit rough around the edges, just enough of a citrus flavor to make you wonder if it could be something more...Nope. Don't get me wrong, if I am sitting on a beach in the Bahamas, I may think this is good, clean, refreshing. But I don't think a setting can hide the flaws in this beer.

3.84/5  rDev +44.9%

Based on the tale of a young bartender who served me this beer while i was at port waiting for my fiance to get her hair braided in Nassau, this beer was named after the sound of cow bells jingling when a herd was rounded up - you can look up the history of Bahamian cowboys on your own if it's worth a glance. Regardless of the mediocre to awful reviews this beer has received, I would highly recommend it. I had this beer for the first time at a bar in Nassau in 100 degree weather and believe me...my thirst was quenched - nevermind having my beer thirst satiated - and I was enjoying my time waiting three hours for a hair braid. I wouldn't recommend it as a lounge drink on a cool day or as an extra in the fridge, but believe me, when it's hot this hits the spot (unintentional rhyme), and it's so far beyond bud light and coors light or any other "limited" beverage you may drink. Beer pong with Kalik...do it; different experience guaranteed. It's perfect for bbq's or afternoons outdoors with friends. Just...just...just drink it, Ok?!

3.19/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. can into a plastic cup.

A slightly hazy straw color with a little foam and not much head retention.
Smell is slightly bready, maybe a hint of yeast.
This tastes better to my palate than most American Lagers. A pleasant sweetness from the malt a bit of a hop bite. Nice.
Mouthfeel is typical lager.
Overall, I give it a bit of a bonus because I'm DRINKING IT IN THE BAHAMAS! It's actually the perfect beach beer. Easy drinking, smooth and tasty.

3.92/5  rDev +47.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear darker gold with a thin, wispy white head. Really poor head retention and no lacing to speak of.

Bready aroma with some hints of flowers, hay, and grass. Somewhat reminiscent of a European lager.

More bread in the taste. There is just the lightest bit of toast in there along with grass and hay from the hops. Bitterness in on the light side and the finish is extremely dry and crisp. This has to be one of the most refreshing beers I have had.

Overall, what an awesome lighter lager! It is so crisp and has just enough flavor to keep it from being boring. A great beer to drink in hot weather and just blows away Red Stripe

1.92/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

From old notes. Pours clear light golden with small white head. Aroma of skunk and pale malts. Flavor follows with a blast of skunk and light corn flavor. Some sweetness from the malts, but overall this thing is nearly gag inducing. Dirty finish. Not a fan. In the Corona and Land Shark area here, maybe between the two.

3.3/5  rDev +24.5%

A summer breeze flows through the palm tree's fronds and brushes my face with a sweet refreshing coolness that suggests "welcome"-and I smile. I just arrived to Nassau Bahamas where Kalik gives you the style of a local with the swag of one of Tupac's vey own homies. I guzzle down the juice of Kalik and I shudder as the tropical water flows through my veins. I sway a little as I attempt to recycle but unfortunately drop the glass on the road. My heart breaks as the bottle shatters before my eyes. That bottle, which held one of the most beautiful beers on the planet, which gave me my swagger, my new bahamian life, has been destroyed. As I start to break down in tears, staring at the ground, this wonderful foot steps into my sight. The foot has skin white as a ghost with red hairs orange as an orange, the fruit. She caresses my body and pulls out another kalik from her purse. I glimpse waterfalls of red hairs hanging from her underarm. Her name is Aoife, and she lies in nettles with me with kaliks surrounding our bodies. Anyway, long story short, Kalik landed me with the most amazing girl ever and it tasted great

3.11/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pale golden coloring but the head is soapy and light.

The scent is grainy with cereal like maltiness and even some lemon. Weak but not off putting.

Strangely I find the taste quite satisfying. Light cereal malts, German influences with a bread, cracker dryness. Not much wateriness, as I find in the other hot weather quenchers, I wasn't yearning to throw a lime in it.

Overall, I like it and I liked it more than many of the same genre.

2.66/5  rDev +0.4%

A: Pours a crystal clear light to medium yellow in color with some golden yellow highlights and moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a two finger tall fizzy white head that reduces to a patchy thin film covering about three quarters of the surface of the beer with a slightly thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of corn and grain adjunct malts with a light amount of sweetness.

T: Upfront this beer is all adjunct malt with moderate amounts of sweetness - I get quite a bit of corn with a slightly lesser amount of grain. Light hints of bitterness in the finish which fades fairly quickly.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: This is one of the better American Adjunct Lagers that I have had from the Caribbean and would probably be really refreshing on a hot day by the beach (unfortunately it is cold and windy here today).

2.8/5  rDev +5.7%

Tasted On: 07-29-2012
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. clear bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Perfect pint
Purchased: Single from Publix, Huntsville

Appearance is a very light blond and clear beer. The head is white and about 3 fingers, with good retention but no lacing.

Smells consist of hay and grassy hops, plus light pilsner malts.

The taste is lightly bitter and has the same grassy quality as in the nose. Also has some spiciness and a touch of unpleasant vegetable notes. Overall not very flavorful.

Mouthfeel is crisp with a high level of carbonation. The body is light and aftertastes are lightly sweet and slightly bitter.

All around, this is a simple and average lager, but makes for a refreshing drink on a hot summer day.

2.34/5  rDev -11.7%

A: single finger white foam head, lots of bubbles on a bright clear golden body.

S: very skunky and pungent grains and malts. one of the more offensive aromas of these caribbean american adjunct lagers.

T: I really waited for this one to offend and it never really did. grains, pale malts with light lemon and sweet corn notes. Aftertaste isnt terrible.

M: light body and high carbonation.

Overall: Smells terrible, tastes barely drinkable but not in large quantities.

3.92/5  rDev +47.9%

Huh. This beer surprised me. Much different than I expected. I was thinking Red Stripe. But it's way different. The smell is typical of an adjunct lager at first, but then there's this oddity that sort of throws you off. It's a little darker than an American adjunct. By the way, I poured it into a pint glass. That oddity in the smell hits you on the taste. I swear I'm getting hints of prunes or figs. A pleasant surprise. The mouth feel reflects this as well. While there's the typical lager crispness and sharpness from carbonation is there but there's also a slickness left behind. Maybe from the fruit? I had this with a shot of rum. So whenever I drink some Sailor Jerry's again, I'm gonna want one of these with it. Went perfect with the rum.

3.38/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - pale golden yellow; thin layer of soft, loose, white head; little retention

S - musty, grainy, grassy

T - grainy, grassy, straw, a bit musty, lagery

M - smooth, well carbonated, smooth, light bodied

It's easily drinkable and smooth, but it doesn't offer much flavor-wise. It's better than most in this style, but it still leaves much to be desired.

3.02/5  rDev +14%

Pours a clear light yellow color with a bone-white finger of head. Dissipates fast. The aroma...pleasant. Biscuity malts, light sweetness and a breadiness. Nothing wonderful but for the style, it's actually rather nice. The taste doesn't measure up imo. Sweet malts, bready, biscuity, but overly sweet. Is this an adjunct, or a pale Euro lager?

Crisp, light and clean. Good overall.

2.58/5  rDev -2.6%

undated but coded clear 12oz bottle poured into a Unibroue (sorry Unibroue) snifter.

A: Poured a pale golden color with less a fingers of head that was surprisingly creamy but short-lived. Some lacing left on glass.

S: Corn, light malt and a tiny hint of hops.

T: Light toasted grain with a heavy corn component and a bit of spicy hops. Sweet/bitter components are balanced.

M: Crisp; light-bodied with medium+ carbonation.

O: A light, corny beer that would be more enjoyable on a hot day in the Bahamas.

to view more.
Kalik from Commonwealth Brewery Ltd.